• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couchjockeyz rumor: MP3, DLNA coming in later PS4 firmware update

DBT85

add what ? mp3 support ? yeah im pretty sure they will patch that in but background music is only for music umlimited subs

unless i see something official im not gonna believe they changed something thats been set in stone

So just to be sure. They'll not allow personal MP3s as background music, that feature will remain an MU feature.

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

Thank you Based Yoshida

Fracas

#fuckonami
If true then that's seriously impressive. I love seeing companies listen to feedback, especially this fast. Keep it up, Sony.

Neoxon

I hope that the second update also removes HDCP from games so I can record without using a workaround.
I recall reading that Sony will remove that in an update, the question is when....hopefully in the second update.

Better late than never, I guess.

rawd

Wasnt planning on getting rid of my PS3 but this will save me having to power on the 'triple' to watch DLNA movies.

Loakum

Banned
..and once Sony adds Mp3 and DLNA back, it's gonna be interesting to see if (and how quickly) Microsoft will do the same.

entremet

It was pretty obvious this will happen. The freakout was pretty funny. They're crunching like hell and they want to get out the biggest stuff first.

Guerilla

It was pretty obvious this will happen. The freakout was pretty funny. They're crunching like hell and they want to get out the biggest stuff first.

They could have prevented all that by replacing in their FAQ the "no" with TBA. Gamers, especially the ones who buy consoles at launch are a sensitive bunch when it comes to their consumer rights (and rightfully so) so Sony should have been more careful imo.

nampad

Couchjockeyz?
If true, good. Some stuff should have been there at launch like MP3 support (can't imagine that it would take much ressources) but at least they are listening.
What does legacy headset support encompass? Only the Pulse headsets and still no BT support?

entremet

They could have prevented all that by replacing in their FAQ the "no" with TBA. Gamers, especially the ones who buy consoles at launch are a sensitive bunch when it comes to their consumer rights (and rightfully so) so Sony should have been more careful imo.

That FAQ was probably rushed as is lol.

Working with product launches that have been smaller by factors of ten of the PS4, I can assure so you that getting this baby out is the most important thing. They can iterate later.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Or maybe the FAQ was written with other sony entities, perhaps the people behind Music Unlimited, in mind. Hmmm.

hoos30

Talking to a "Sony rep" is one step up from talking to an Xbox Live CSR.

Source is sketchy and the Shu tweet predates this "news" by several days.

Not that you shouldn't believe the PS4 will eventually play MP3s, it will, but that feature came out for a reason (music unlimited) and that reason didn't get tossed overboard in three days.

entremet

Or maybe the FAQ was written with other sony entities, perhaps the people behind Music Unlimited, in mind. Hmmm.

Yeah, I don't know about the source in the OP.

I think they will get these feature added, but I don't its conclusive based on the source.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm choosing to believe Bish and Kagari over Couchjockeyz.

Either way though I feel confident about the media features we have on PS3 making their way to the 4, eventually.

Jburton

Banned
Talking to a "Sony rep" is one step up from talking to an Xbox Live CSR.

Source is sketchy and the Shu tweet predates this "news" by several days.

Not that you shouldn't believe the PS4 will eventually play MP3s, it will, but that feature came out for a reason (music unlimited) and that reason didn't get tossed overboard in three days.

Their source is not the one people are believing, we are believing Kagari, a mod with a proven history of having inside info from Sony.

Read the thread.

LegoDad

Someone really posted this?? The article last night had the worst editing ever. They didn't even have complete sentences in the article.

It also says DLNA in the title but never talks about it.

i hope this is true. taking away MP3 playback just seems crazy to me, such an easy feature to implement that shouldn't cost.. pretty much anything. it just reeked of anti-consumer to me. them wanting to force everyone to use Music Unlimited or whatever.

if they do a 180 because of feedback and re-enable MP3 playback, i will reward them by actually checking out Music Unlimited, if it's decent i might pay for it for at least a few months. not a chance in hell i'd do that if they really take away MP3 playback.

your call Sony.

TacosNSalsa

Moves like this , removing the MP3 and CD support, and Microsofts entire original plan for the Xbox One makes me wonder who in the conference room said "Hey! Let's do ABC and remove DEF! People will LOVE that!!" And, secondary who the hell cosigned this sh*t??

rawd

Moves like this , removing the MP3 and CD support, and Microsofts entire original plan for the Xbox One makes me wonder who in the conference room said "Hey! Let's do ABC and remove DEF! People will LOVE that!!" And, secondary who the hell cosigned this sh*t??

Maybe it just wasnt ready? Wanted to test peoples reaction on purpose? See if they could get away with it without people caring? I guess we will never know.

Its definitely weird to have not included those features , specifically MP3 and DLNA

Is there any media support outside of Bluray?

PS3 Media support LIST

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

The following types of files can be played under (Video).
Memory Stick Video Format
- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
- MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
MP4 file format
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
AVI
- Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
- Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
DivX
WMV
- VC-1(WMA Standard V2)

Unless we get an actual confirmation, do you mind changing the thread title to better reflect it? It seems some people came in here expect things were confirmed, because the title doesn't reflect that it's a rumor from an unknown source...

Unless... you happen to know otherwise...?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well it only sucks that we had to demand it and it's not a case of "It will not be ready at launch".

They were always going to add it. They just want to make it seem like they are listening to us and adding it "purely" because of our voice. It makes us feel special. But MP3s were always going to be added.

Top Bottom