• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowen downgrades EA's stock as it thinks Titanfall 2's sales will be disappointing

Vinc

I'm definitely in the minority, but I bought BF1 as the first Battlefield game I actually buy. I played all of them since Bad Company 1, but always rented them before. I was actually not even planning to rent or borrow this one at all this year, until my ears perked up when I saw the setting was WW1. I've been paying attention since then and the game kept looking awesome, so I got it and it's the first BF game I truly really enjoy.

Normally, I would've bought COD as well since the style is so different and I did enjoy BO3, but I'm getting Titanfall instead, so EA's strategy completely worked on me.

They should've delayed it and used the time to fix the multiplayer. I'll probably pick it up about the time they should have released it or when it gets put in the EA Access vault. Not something I expected to say about the follow-up to my favorite multiplayer shooter of the last decade.

Gator86

Sounds accurate. It launched between two behemoths, have zero hype behind it, and has a high skill ceiling which will make it goddamn infuriating to play for people who pick it up later, shortening the game's tail. There's also little in the way of unlocks, stat tracking, challenges, and other things that keep people around. Game is really fun, but I'm not sure why people would expect a lot out of it sales wise unless I'm missing something big.

Guymelef

I'm going to give numbers from my store, take it as you want.

~100 PS4 BF1 at launch
~10 PS4 TF2 at launch.

Spain, where PS4 BF1 did 37,000.

I know this is nothing more than arm-chair analyst speak I'm going to be putting out, but I always thought having Titanfall 2 and BF1 this close to one-another was suicide for Respawn.

I get the mentality that EA is trying to get as much competition in there to drown out CoD as the sales juggernaut it is, but this seemed unnecessary and will ultimately end up hurting Respawn, as EA clearly has a more vested interest in seeing their baby BF1 getting sales.

Titanfall 2 could've taken January and enjoyed some good momentum as the post-holiday shooter choice for people.

Main Battlefield games from DICE SE are always an automatic buy from my friends and I. If titanfall 2 release at a later date, we prob would have gotten it.

tumblr_nx4r5ow4Gu1uyx50so1_500.gif

Even though the problem is that no one will play it.

Yeah it was a weird decision.. I'm still deciding between BF1 and Titanfall, they both look good but I only want one FPS atm.

I told myself to get BF1 and I did that, but after all the positive impression reviews. I ended up ordering Titanfall2 as well... Now I'm thinking if I really should just pick it up and hope the community grows instead disappearing like Titanfall 1.

Wish they have something similar to Battlefield stat sites.

I think it's a bomb. Heck even BF1 sales were disappointing and CoD will be down again this year. Very weird throwing this out there in between 2 big shooters. Should have been given time to breath earlier in the year and had some exclusive marketing and a big push. Feels like it's being sent to die.

No one in there right mind as a publisher should be sitting there looking at their release schedule and saying let's put 2 of our shooters out a week after the other. No one. Yet here we are. They only have themselves to blame that they destroyed a new IPs chance not once, but twice thanks to awful business desisions. Makes you wonder how these people get employed in such high positions.

I primarily fault Overwatch for my lack of interest in spending money on games that are primarily MP centric, but I'm interested to play the SP, just not for $60.

It's gonna sound petty but I'm skipping it purely on the fact that TF never came to PS. The way that the situation was handled at the time left a real sour taste in my mouth.

Also worth pointing out that there is a lot of new hardware on offer this holiday and early next year from Nintendo. Just so much potential for those funds to be put elsewhere on top of the shooter sandwich.

I told myself to get BF1 and I did that, but after all the positive impression reviews. I ended up ordering Titanfall2 as well... Now I'm thinking if I really should just pick it up and hope the community grows instead disappearing like Titanfall 1.

Wish they have something similar to Battlefield stat sites.

Yeah, seeing playerbase numbers would make me a lot more comfortable with jumping in!

george_us

I was very tempted to pick this up day one but with the asinine release schedule and negative Alpha feedback, I figured I'd be able to score a decent deal on Black Friday. Looks like I made the right decision.

King_Moc

Banned
I really don't understand why they did this. Maybe in March i'd have given it a chance. But in between BF1 and CoD? No way. They sent their own game to die.

Hopefully the good review scores will encourage enough people to buy it and keep it profitable so we can get a third one sometime down the road.

They should've delayed it and used the time to fix the multiplayer. I'll probably pick it up about the time they should have released it or when it gets put in the EA Access vault. Not something I expected to say about the follow-up to my favorite multiplayer shooter of the last decade.

Multiplayer isn't working??

Halabane

I must be in the minority because I skipped BF1 and bought Titanfall.

There are way too many multiplayer games out there right now (and so many of them are actually good) for the community to support. Really should have delayed this to jan/feb. But if it was respawns call then they know more about this then me. But I don't have time for it.

phant0m

Glad to see the positive reviews of this one. I have CoD Legacy preordered, but if it's not as well reviewed I'll return it for TF2.

Personally I was so put off by how the game felt and played during the alpha test that my interest in purchasing it fell to zero. Everything I liked about the first game was missing. So no sale for me.

Whompa02

I don't understand why Titanfall 2 is being released now.

Nice knowing you, Respawn...

But seriously...Nice knowing you, Respawn...

That sucks, on a side note, can't wait to play SP campaign for 20$
Edit: also as another side note, this should've come out in February and also it shouldn't have been called Titanfall 2- simply for PS4 players, who have no idea about the game and think they will have needed to play the 1st Titanfall. Should've been Titanfall:Jungle (whatever).

Nah, numbered sequels sell better regardless.

It's gonna sound petty but I'm skipping it purely on the fact that TF never came to PS. The way that the situation was handled at the time left a real sour taste in my mouth.

that is very silly, especially if you read about the circumstances surrounding TF1's development. the fact that we got it at all is something of a miracle.

Gator86

Not Mirror's Edge Catalyst disappointing I hope? If they let the community die again it's their own damn fault and they should not bother with a 3rd.

Wow. What a blast from the past!

I can't think of a single thing changed between 1 and 2 that will affect how quickly the community dies. The ugly-ass Titan skins are basically the only real unlocks. They better have an aggressive ass support plan if they want this to last.

Still, I can't imagine picking this up late. Launch players are going to be fucking savages in a few months. You can already see huge gulfs between people who played 1 and those who bought this as their first experience.

KodaRuss

Apparently it was the "devs decision" according to Respawn employees on here.

As others pointed out, Respawn employee's on GAF said they choose the release date.

My only thought is that they wanted to get it out of the way because they are shifting focus to Star Wars. However, I dont believe that they decided on that date. Releasing it 3 weeks before now or after this date would make a world of difference.

Titanfall seems so dated to me. I wouldn't spend $20 on it, i think.

I'm pretty sure it's dead then, if presales are low.

Troll post?

It is petty. The second one is coming to Playstation. Did you skip the entire Mass Effect Series as well? Bioshock also? It is a good game, go check it out.

Hopefully this is just a bunch of doom and gloom and it does alright. The good reviews and the PS userbase could save Titanfall.

The game (and Respawn) will be just fine. The positive word of mouth is already spreading like wildfire and considering the negative reception of IW's Beta, one can assume there'll be a sizeable uptick in sales as the year comes to a close.

Word of mouth did wonders for DOOM and Wolfenstein, it's safe to assume this will be a similar situation. Plus, lets not pretend TF1 didn't build a pretty good community too.

Kalentan

My only thought is that they wanted to get it out of the way because they are shifting focus to Star Wars. However, I dont believe that they decided on that date. Releasing it 3 weeks before now or after this date would make a world of difference.

what

WHAT

That...why...whyyyyyyyyyyyy would they do this to themselves. I don't understand this at all.

Well here is the interesting thing. A Respawn Employee did indeed say that in one of the initial Titanfall 2 threads (maybe the tech test.)

However based on this thread, either they're back tracking or it was never the case in the first place and the employee was mistaken.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1302411

KodaRuss

I can't think of a single thing changed between 1 and 2 that will affect how quickly the community dies. The ugly-ass Titan skins are basically the only real unlocks. They better have an aggressive ass support plan if they want this to last.

Still, I can't imagine picking this up late. Launch players are going to be fucking savages in a few months. You can already see huge gulfs between people who played 1 and those who bought this as their first experience.

You say that but Rainbow Six: Siege has gained since launch and the game is absolutely brutal to newcomers.

It is all about word of mouth. If Respawn has solid updates planned then it could really gain some momentum. They need to get Frontier Defense in the game and Angel City map is coming in December

Top Bottom