• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowen downgrades EA's stock as it thinks Titanfall 2's sales will be disappointing

Animator

You say that but Rainbow Six: Siege has gained since launch and the game is absolutely brutal to newcomers.

It is all about word of mouth. If Respawn has solid updates planned then it could really gain some momentum. They need to get Frontier Defense in the game and Angel City map is coming in December

This. Wish people stopped with the kneejerk idiotic posts but this is a gaming forum afterall.

Game will be fine. The first TF sold 10 million and I never had trouble finding games in it until they fucked up and tried to sell new maps as DLC. This one is going the siege route. Siege has been INCREASING it's player count with every free expansion release.

Titanfall is also an amazing MP game like siege so if they support it people will play it. Hell it's worth full price for that SP campaign alone. It's the closest to Vanquish 2 we will ever get.

Bumhead

Banned
It's the closest to Vanquish 2 we will ever get.

Woa! Wait, what?!

This I gotta see!

As for the multi legs? Eh. I'm not sure this will have the legs of something like Battlefield but, unless you only play the more obscure modes, will it matter? I was late to the party with the first game and never had to wait to get into matches of Attrition.

The game (and Respawn) will be just fine. The positive word of mouth is already spreading like wildfire and considering the negative reception of IW's Beta, one can assume there'll be a sizeable uptick in sales as the year comes to a close.

Word of mouth did wonders for DOOM and Wolfenstein, it's safe to assume this will be a similar situation. Plus, lets not pretend TF1 didn't build a pretty good community too

Did Doom and Wolfenstein come out against 2 big shooters? Did the original TF?

There's no room for it. Everyone will be playing CoD and BF, they aren't buying a third shooter. You positivity is admirable but it's not realistic.

Game will be fine. The first TF sold 10 million and I never had trouble finding games in it until they fucked up and tried to sell new maps as DLC. This one is going the siege route. Siege has been INCREASING it's player count with every free expansion release.

It didn't. It was 10 million*

*unique users.

Dominator

This is anecdotal as it's my singular store, but the GameStop I used to work at had abysmal pre-orders. I can't remember exact numbers for the high ones but it went something like this:

Battlefield 1 had pre-orders in the 80's
Titanfall 2 had 7
Call of Duty is over 120

Placing in between those two games was one of the weirdest decisions I've seen this year.

For reference, Skyrim SE that also came out today had 29 pre-orders. I asked my old boss when I went to pick up TF2.

flozuki

Bought it and returned BF. One more time Dice demonstrated they are unable to create worthy campaigns and I wasn't even satisfied with the MP. TF on the other side delivered, well done Respawn :)

Schlorgan

what

WHAT

That...why...whyyyyyyyyyyyy would they do this to themselves. I don't understand this at all.

Because there is an INFINITY WARD Call of Duty game coming out next week.

EA doesn't own Respawn, if they throw Respawn under the bus, Respawn leaves and takes Titanfall with them. Respawn had to be okay with this for it to happen this way.

Stuff like this is just too cool. Stolen from the Titanfall 2 thread:

IdxYRcg.gif

Gator86

You say that but Rainbow Six: Siege has gained since launch and the game is absolutely brutal to newcomers.

It is all about word of mouth. If Respawn has solid updates planned then it could really gain some momentum. They need to get Frontier Defense in the game and Angel City map is coming in December

Great point. I was considering mentioned Siege in my post actually. Great support can bring better than launch numbers. We'll see if they can pull it off, especially without any microtransaction cash to keep execs happy.

Level design is something I think would turn some people away...

Oh, I meant that section as keep people around longer than 1. I'd imagine the level design is a factor that will do the opposite because, yeah, it's bad.

Kalentan

Did Doom and Wolfenstein come out against 2 big shooters? Did the original TF?

There's no room for it. Everyone will be playing CoD and BF, they aren't buying a third shooter. You positivity is admirable but it's not realistic.

Doom did release near Uncharted 4 and then Overwatch came out a week or two later but honestly the games were all doing very different stuff so I doubt their was much pollution. Wolfenstein released really close to it's closest competitor, Borderlands 2... for Vita. ;)

TF released with no director competitors in sights for a few months.

KingV

I agree with people talking about Spring releases. I get that a lot of games sell in the winter because of Christmas, but every year there are like 3 big games that get tons of hype and sell well because they are the only big releases outside of the holiday window. Bloodborne, Witcher 3, and Arkham Knight come to mind as games that dominated discussion before and after they came out because they release in a time of relative calm, with not a lot of other games in their genres.

Thewonandonly

They should've delayed it and used the time to fix the multiplayer. I'll probably pick it up about the time they should have released it or when it gets put in the EA Access vault. Not something I expected to say about the follow-up to my favorite multiplayer shooter of the last decade.
I'm in the same boat. If two years ago you would have told me I wouldn't get titanfall 2 on launch day I would have called you fucking crazy, but here we are....

With it playing more like Call of Duty I expect it to die faster than the first game. I'd get Infinite warfare just for MW Remastered before I got Titanfall 2, but BF1 is by far the best choice and it's all I'm getting right now.

It's a shame that Titanfall 2 was released right between BF1 and COD, especially because by many accounts TF2 is looking like it might be the best one of the three. It just doesn't have the same reach as the other franchises.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Easily the most confusing releas date choice this year, like, why would you choose to do this to your own game? I would have delayed it a few months into next year and released it the same time they put out the first, during early march. They would have likely been on their own, advertising would have been easier and cheaper, and they would be able to try and take the players who slowly fall off the other big shooters they decided to ram themselves in between.

It was such an odd decision, more so than Tomb Raider last year as at least that was alone in its own genre on the same day as Fallout and between CoD and Battlefield.

Xater

Titanfall 2 barely made it into the Amazon.de top 100 sales charts today. It was in the hundreds before. I always said the release time is stupid. Should have picked somewhere in Q1 instead. Hell at least could have picked December. I am basically not getting it because I picked up Gears and BF1. There is no time or money for a third shooter as cool as it looks. Because of it possibly not doing well I don't even know if it will be worth picking up down the line. Who knows how long the online population will actually stay big enough.

Looking at Live with Playstation stats (Certainly not a barometer of how many copies it's selling) but TF2 has slightly more streamers than Overwatch. Skyrim, BF and BLOPs have far more. Which for launch day is pathetic. Potentially a sign of its sales though. I don't think it's looking good for it.

Hope I'm wrong, because the reviews say this deserves to sell well but I kinda think this will happen too. I really don't know what they were thinking, dropping TitanFall 2 between Battlefield and COD.

Titanfall didn't exactly light the world on fire when it came out, so its nowhere near as popular as the two biggest shooters in gaming.

Good on them for showing they have confidence in the game but it could also backfire and results in poor sales.

Titanfalls gameplay is much more exhilarating than both BeeF1 and COD: IW

Here's an idea folks, step outside your comfort zone and try something different.

muu

Do they even have TV spots for TF2? Admittedly I don't do a whole lot of channel surfing but I've seen a decent amount of push for Gears, some CoD stuff started showing up recently, haven't seen a thing for TF2.

Ryde3

Of course it will do poorly, everyone is playing Battlefield and COD, they should've done a March-April release. So silly.

Schlorgan

Obligatory reminder that Respawn is independent and can split up with EA at any time but haven't, and have in fact set up more projects with them, suggesting that the relationship is not soured by this. They are also mostly ex-Infinity Ward people, so them wanting to go toe-to-toe with an Infinity Ward Call of Duty makes a certain amount of sense.

Gator86

Do they even have TV spots for TF2? Admittedly I don't do a whole lot of channel surfing but I've seen a decent amount of push for Gears, some CoD stuff started showing up recently, haven't seen a thing for TF2.

They had tons of plays of that really bad commercial with the the shitty cover song during NFL games a few weeks ago.

Kalentan

Obligatory reminder that Respawn is independent and can split up with EA at any time but haven't. They are also mostly ex-Infinity Ward people, so them wanting to go toe-to-toe with an Infinity Ward Call of Duty makes a certain amount of sense.

It may make sense but it was a stupid decision that will not pay off for them. If anything it shows they were high on their own history and assumed TF2 would sell amazingly well because of that.

If anything, it makes them seem worse than if EA decided the release date. Cause if they felt they wanted to go up against CoD, then they were doing so within their own grave.

Lucifon

See if the beta was incredibly well received the timing wouldn't be as big of an issue due to word of mouth. But... It wasn't. And no ea access does no favours. It's now sandwiched between 2 shooter behemoths with negative sentiment surrounding it.

Cake Boss

Banned
Could be one of those games where word of mouth can help it throughout its release and eventually outsells TF1.

lol @RIP Respawn, a studio that makes what some people say is the best shooter of this year or generation doesn't just die because their shitty publisher decided to sandwich its game release with another major shooter IP.

Xater

Not when sales haven't been tallied and wordbof mouth still has potential to launch the game beyond projected estimates.

Most game sales are still made in in the first week of release. Games that actually do what you suggest are rather rare. Rainbow Six: Siege is one of those rare exceptions. It's not something I would just assume with this game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll probably be picking up TF2 as my yearly big AAA FPS purchase. BF1 looks to have a terrible half assed campaign from all things and while the mp is the draw, doesn't look as interesting overall for me. Infinite Warfare while fun looking seems like a half step below what I wanted out of the series in a heavily scifi setting which seems to be where TF2 steps in. Combine all this with the fact the SP campaign of TF2 is getting some serious praise helps a lot as well.

Schlorgan

See if the beta was incredibly well received the timing wouldn't be as big of an issue due to word of mouth. But... It wasn't. And no ea access does no favours. It's now sandwiched between 2 shooter behemoths with negative sentiment surrounding it.

If poor receptions to betas and negative sentiment determine a games sales, then Infinite Warfare is also a flop.

krazen

Too bad there isn't synergy between the two titles; renamed it Battlefield: Titanfall with cheezy marketing (fight in the past, AND the future).

Its a shame too because they threw cash at the promotion. That said, there are 2 months till the holidays really start and considering how polished and acclaimed it is I have no doubt it will have legs

Most game sales are still made in in the first week of release. Games that actually do what you suggest are rather rare. Rainbow Six: Siege is one of those rare exceptions. It's not something I would just assume with this game.

Borderlands also managed it. This is a unique situation for sure but I wouldn't discount anything this early on.

Top Bottom