• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 Gameplay First Look

occelinho

It looked okay, I guess?
Wasn't really blown away, but maybe my expectations were too high.

Regardless, it may be fun. Never played a crackdown before so Im kinda looking forward to it.

RyudBoy

Was never a fan of Crackdown. This didn't change my opinion either. It's the cel-shade look that puts me off.

Destruction stuff looks cool though.

sam777

This doesn't look fun but it is actually awesome when the controller is in your hands just like the first Crackdown.

The destruction looks awesome, but the animation needs some work. Though it!s only an alpha footage.

It's also good that cloud is reseved only for MP, which means SP shoul be playable offline. No always only to connect to the cloud bs

Rembrandt

Banned
http://gfycat.com/GrimyColossalCentipede

GrimyColossalCentipede.gif

"but the cloud is just a marketing gimmick"

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I can't watch the video. Is the game online only, or will there be offline support? Impressions seem to be indicating both.

GIF's look pretty neat.

it says in the video the destructibility is multiplayer.

I assume they'll be some destruction in the single player but you won't just be able to level the city. It wouldn't make sense.

Riky

$MSFT
Destruction looked brilliant, massive fan of the original game and this looked like the sequel it deserves.

The destruction looks awesome, but the animation needs some work. Though it!s only an alpha footage.

It's also good that cloud is reseved only for MP, which means SP shoul be playable offline. No always only to connect to the cloud bs

Why would you not want the destruction? That's the core of the game.

I really hope the multiplayer is simultaneous and you can just opt out of people joining.

Augustiner

Neo Member
I don't get why there's so much confusion. Crackdown has always been a coop-centric game and they are saying that the destruction is based on cloud computing. It's going to be an always-online game with drop in coop.

That's unfortunate. Co-op centric, sure, but I played the first two single player during periods when I didn't have an Xbox subscription. The games were still quite enjoyable.

Disappointing if the option is not there in this sequel.

Curious if the entire campaign can be played multiplayer. Yeah the animations look stiff, but it's pre alpha and kinda the look of crackdown games. It's all about gameplay.

SomTervo

I'm slightly confused – doesn't Gamescom technically start tomorrow? Like, from the 5th?

Why are we getting all these Microsoft announcements today? Unless these are all just press releases not related to the Microsoft presentation (if that's how Gamescom works, I don't know much about it).

I'm slightly confused – doesn't Gamescom technically start tomorrow? Like, from the 5th?

Why are we getting all these Microsoft announcements today? Unless these are all just press releases not related to the Microsoft presentation (if that's how Gamescom works, I don't know much about it).

They had a 90 min conference today.

iMax

It's just like E3. All the press conferences happen before the doors open.

Liking that they lived up to the initial trailer's destruction. Need to see a full gameplay demo though, I guess it's still a little far out for that. There is still an offline component right? I don't mind if they leave the destruction MP exclusive if I can still satisfy my orb hunting addiction in peace.

iMax

So the power of the cloud was real. Hopefully Cloudgine will use their magic on some other Microsoft Studios games down the line.

rochet

This has Red Faction Guerilla feels all over again but on a much much greater scale. Such a good game RF was.

Rembrandt

Banned
Holy shit that's definitely crackdown and the city looks huge

why all the complaints about the cloud feature :/ seems like a welcome addition to MP

people are never satisfied. in every crackdown thread there's people that think the cloud is just a gimmick and would never have any tangible effect on gameplay, those hoping the game wouldn't be online only, etc.

Curious if the entire campaign can be played multiplayer. Yeah the animations look stiff, but it's pre alpha and kinda the look of crackdown games. It's all about gameplay.

I'm sure it can be. The other two were.

this looks insane to me. I can't wait for more footage; hope a beta comes soon.

'20x the computational power of your Xbox One'

Err.. What the heck does that mean? Are they seriously implying that because you are linked with other Xbone's the hardware capabilities go up by the number of players you are competing with?

If so.. Bollocks.

Uhh, no, they're not implying that. What they're saying is that games have access to the cloud compute power of Microsoft's azure distributed computing platform.

This guy..

You have a fundamental misunderstanding.

Was being cross, but what you (Rivyn) hypothesized they mean is not closed to what distributed compute clouds are.

I'm no expert, but for a very simplified introduction into elastic computing and distributed computing models, check out Amazon's introduction to EC2:

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/

Now, obviously, we don't know exactly how Crackdown uses it, but it's likely that they're leveraging the computing power of Azure to handle mathematical computations for the physics environments and then sending this information back to the console, instead of, say, leveraging the console's processor to do those calculations. That's a very simplified description because, while I have some understanding of distributed computing mostly from my job, I'm not an expert or even close to it. Now, this isn't something that a developer couldn't necessarily do on a PS4 or on a PC, but Microsoft is -- allegedly -- providing Azure services for free to developers who partner with them, something that would be very costly otherwise.

If you want to learn more about cloud computing systems, there's a free Coursera course and this is a good introduction to fundamentals behind Azure, Amazon Web Services, Google Application Engine, and others.

https://www.coursera.org/course/cloudcomputing

'20x the computational power of your Xbox One'

Err.. What the heck does that mean? Are they seriously implying that because you are linked with other Xbone's the hardware capabilities go up by the number of players you are competing with?

If so.. Bollocks.

not exactly,x20 power because of the "cloud"
they are still selling that bs..but alas,some people believe that ( look at this thread) they really believe that destruction is achieved by the cloud so i dont blame them for triying

This look amazing on all fronts (despite some obvious rough stuff from still being early).

Love the level of detail on the city, and the destruction is just nuts.

This is definitely a worth sequel!

they are still selling that bs..but alas,some people believe that ( look at this thread) they really believe that destruction is achieved by the cloud so i dont blame them for triying

i loved the cloud when it was used by the people from volition three or four years ago,no seriously its funny when people without tech knowledge just put gifs to asume they have "won" the conversation.

Is that gif really that impressive?

And here comes the downplaying. Right on schedule.

Omni

Oh? I suppose you work on the game then. How is the destruction done, then?

nib95

Banned
"but the cloud is just a marketing gimmick"

We had stuff like this years ago, on considerably weaker hardware, without the power of cloud or whatever else….I'm sure they're using the cloud to help, but it's certainly not necessary for the specific example shown in that GIF.

tumblr_m819ylfwvb1r5cmqwo1_400.gif

tumblr_nfzbkilPku1r9ibuko8_400.gif

tumblr_nfzbkilPku1r9ibuko3_400.gif

Red Faction destruction was nowhere near this.

in a console much less powerfull

Oh? I suppose you work on the game then. How is the destruction done, then?

you dont need to work on this game,just have dev background to know the x20 the power because of the cloud its bs,they put you some nice video and people will pull these gifs on any thread to proved the point as if thats is a proof of anything..seriously people :)

iMax

We had stuff like this years ago, on considerably weaker hardware, without the power of cloud or whatever else….I'm sure they're using the cloud to help, but it's certainly not necessary for the example shown in that GIF.

You're comparing destructible huts to the levelling of a dense, next-generation city?

in a console much less powerfull

with a game world much less impressive

We had stuff like this years ago, on considerably weaker hardware, without the power of cloud or whatever else….I'm sure they're using the cloud to help, but it's certainly not necessary for the specific example shown in that GIF.

Wow, are you really trying to do this?

Using these as examples?

Tryxx

Well I would say they kinda sealed the deal with what the "Cloud" can do because that destruction was insane. Literally every building on the screen was falling apart, and it was pre alpha footage on an Xbox One. 2016 is looking insane for X1, holy balls.

Top Bottom