• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 Gameplay First Look

This will anger Crackdown fans and maybe a few fanboys but, imo, this was a complete miss. Like, just horrible.

To be clear, I'm not saying the game will be bad, on the contrary, I'm saying the game isn't ready to show.

The video was CGI, Awkward dev footage and really, really rough looking pre-alpha footage.

I personally don't think it's fair to the devs to show it this early, it's clearly no where near ready.

I click on play with a "omg here we go!" attitude, and by the end I was just totally deflated and feeling bad for the devs.

To each their own, but I'm confused how some people are saying this looks amazing.

leeh

Random old posts from people running calculations on the ways that Cloud Computing can run the physics calcs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/27yczf/i_just_calculated_an_estimate_of_the_internet/
I did that rough maths on reddit :). Probably a bit off like.

I completely agree with all the points you've brought up, and have similar questions myself. On a side note, comparing to the original Cloud demo you've linked, it does look like there's been a fair drop in the number of particles exhibited in destruction, but this Crackdown trailer also has a considerably larger overall area with far more buildings etc in it, so it's possible they dropped the amount of particles per individual building, to pave the way for more destructible objects overall.
Yeah, think I'm seeing the same. They probably did it due to bandwidth with the results of play tests. Probably seen it go fruity with more going on. Or since it's requiring multiple servers already, it may be an economical thing as well due to the umph it'd need..

GavinGT

Banned
So we're thinking it's multiplayer-only? It sure would be weird to have full destructibility in multiplayer and not in single player.

So, what are the chances we'll start to see some of this Cloudgine stuff in other games as well? I don't think Crackdown is going to be my kind of game, but I thought the destruction looked wonderful and I think other games could benefit from the same technology.

nib95

Banned
Yeah, think I'm seeing the same. They probably did it due to bandwidth with the results of play tests. Probably seen it go fruity with more going on. Or since it's requiring multiple servers already, it may be an economical thing as well due to the umph it'd need..

Personally I'd rather they balance it to be more consistent in overall bandwidth usage and demand. No point having such an insane number of particles that requires a constant high speed connection and level of bandwidth, where if you have any sort of drop out, or someone else in your household temporarily shares your connection, you see jarring graphical anomalies. I'd rather they keep destruction to more consistently manageable levels.

So we're thinking it's multiplayer-only? It sure would be weird to have full destructibility in multiplayer and not in single player.

how is it weird? it's weird to think full destruction WILL be in single player. building scaling, orb collection, platforming... all thrown out the window if you can just level buildings and stuff.

I think the concept of leveling everything is awesome... but not in a single player experience (at least not crackdown)

This will anger Crackdown fans and maybe a few fanboys but, imo, this was a complete miss. Like, just horrible.

To be clear, I'm not saying the game will be bad, on the contrary, I'm saying the game isn't ready to show.

The video was CGI, Awkward dev footage and really, really rough looking pre-alpha footage.

I personally don't think it's fair to the devs to show it this early, it's clearly no where near ready.

I click on play with a "omg here we go!" attitude, and by the end I was just totally deflated and feeling bad for the devs.

To each their own, but I'm confused how some people are saying this looks amazing.

Obviously you're entitled to your own opinion.

I'm pretty sure the devs were proud to show off what they have accomplished so far. I wouldn't necessarily feel bad for them, considering they're doing something amazing with new technology while all you're doing is sitting on a forum complaining about it.

Ushay

Clearly a very early showing.

But boy am I now really excited at what direction this is taking. That destruction is something else. The bridge, then that entire building. Holy shit.

Damn I'm excited by the possibilities this will have.

I did that rough maths on reddit :). Probably a bit off like.

I wish Kampfheld was still here.

I'm pretty sure the devs were proud to show off what they have accomplished so far. I wouldn't necessarily feel bad for them, considering they're doing something amazing with new technology while all you're doing is sitting on a forum complaining about it.
Youre entitled to your opinion, but let me go out of my way to dismiss and belittle it.

Noobcraft

oxdruas.gif

UY1lS9M.gif

JJRwy8r.gif

We had stuff like this years ago, on considerably weaker hardware, without the power of cloud or whatever else….I'm sure they're using the cloud to help, but it's certainly not necessary for the specific example shown in that GIF.

tumblr_m819ylfwvb1r5cmqwo1_400.gif

tumblr_nfzbkilPku1r9ibuko8_400.gif

tumblr_nfzbkilPku1r9ibuko3_400.gif
Lol. They aren't even on the same level.

I think its a mistake having the destruction to MP only. That looks like such a nice gameplay element. At least have the wall destruction in SP.

Probably better off because if you lose internet connection then that cloud power goes out the window and would hamper the experience greatly.

Rembrandt

Banned
It did. Well a form of it anyway. I remember writing my name in to different structures and rock surfaces etc. Instead of temporary bullet holes like with most shooters, it actually dynamically deformed the terrain.

RFG had terrain deformation or are you talking about the original that allowed you to build tunnels?

To be fair, the destruction is much more natural in this than what we just saw of CD3.

that gif of the silo falling onto the building looks in way, shape or form more natural than that building falling on the other two.

Dabanton

We had stuff like this years ago, on considerably weaker hardware, without the power of cloud or whatever else….I'm sure they're using the cloud to help, but it's certainly not necessary for the specific example shown in that GIF.

That whole world felt like it was made of cardboard.

Personally I'd rather they balance it to be more consistent in overall bandwidth usage and demand. No point having such an insane number of particles that requires a constant high speed connection and level of bandwidth, where if you have any sort of drop out, or someone else in your household temporarily shares your connection, you see jarring graphical anomalies. I'd rather they keep destruction to more consistently manageable levels.

I would agree with you here, and considering this, it makes sense to only allow cloud-assisted destruction in the MP (if that's the case). I'm sure it would be somewhat of a developmental nightmare to figure out what the game would do if someone suddenly loses the bandwidth they need to support destruction or they lose their connection to XBL entirely. Will the game kick you to the main menu without saving? Will there be some sort of destruction fallback, or will the framerate simply just tank? By keeping destruction to MP, Cloudgine and Reagent don't have to deal with those issues at all.

Cdammen

Hahaha "this looks OK I guess" will hopefully become a new gaffism.

I thought it looked amazingly fun. They even kept the silky smooth/steady camera from the original game. I loved having almost zero "headbob".

Consider my curiosity piqued. Destruction itself looks good, but obviously everything else looks super early. Will keep an eye on this for next year.

Bought the 360 because of Crackdown last gen. Might happen again this gen (as long as MS releases a smaller XBOne that can be oriented vertically).

Torment

Banned

Just completely wrong about everything you just stated, but I respect your opinion.

jaypah

This looks great, I love destruction. Just give me a free for all mode. Single player "fuck shit up" mode with the cloud physics. I'd pay just for that plus imagine the videos that people would create.

All I'm doing is sitting on a forum discussing the video they presented to us for our discussion? Are you sure about that criticism?

Besides, I have nothing but respect for the dev, as I said, they deserve the time they need to show it off in a proper state.

Maybe some devs can chime in: Does this video look like a video you'd make if you were ready to show off your game?

Anyway, either way, doesn't matter. You seemed to miss my point considering how optimistic I am for how it will eventually turn out.

Don't care about whether the destruction is online only. It looks like Red Faction: Guerrilla on a larger scale which is solid gold to me in any capacity. Never saw the appeal of Crackdown 1 when I played it, heard 2 was bad even to fans of the series, but this has my attention.

Might have to get an XB1 if this stays exclusive.

Besides, I have nothing but respect for the dev, as I said, they deserve the time they need to show it off in a proper state.

Maybe some devs can chime in: Does this video look like a video you'd make if you were ready to show off your game?

You say you have nothing but respect for the devs, but all you've been doing is belitting years of their hard work and saying you're confused at how people can be excited about it?

Respect doesn't work that way.

The only thing I hope is they don't go too deep into gunplay.
Crackdown was mostly fun because you can jump leaps and bounds. I did most combat without guns once I boosted my stats up.

looks a bit underwhelming after the Just Cause 3 footage.

The building collapsing was pretty great though.

JC3 absolutely looks better and the traversal/grappling hook antics are crazier, but we haven't seen anything remotely close to the degree of destruction seen/promised in C3's trailer.

JC3 absolutely looks better and the traversal/grappling hook antics are crazier, but we haven't seen anything remotely close to the degree of destruction seen/promised in C3's trailer.

Yep, thats true. Like I said, the collapsing building is definitely cool but good games arent made from collapsing buildings. The other gameplay they showed definitely does not look as interesting as JC3 to me.

Also im a bit worried by this "power of the cloud" business. So how do buildings collapse when you dont have an internet connection?

Looks good to me. The destruction being multiplayer only makes sense. For it to be in the single player, you'd have to be playing online and you would just be able to kill all enemies by dropping buildings on them.

I hope it plays well and I look forward to the spectacle of the destruction online.

iMax

It looks like UE4 destructible assets. The engine has it's own system built in. Basically you take an asset and move some sliders around to determine how many cracks/pieces fall apart and how much force it takes to do so, etc.

Perhaps, but not at a locked 30fps on Xbox One hardware.

Rembrandt

Banned
The only thing I hope is they don't go too deep into gunplay.
Crackdown was mostly fun because you can jump leaps and bounds. I did most combat without guns once I boosted my stats up.

that sniper when your shooting is maxed out, though. headshots instantly.

Yep, thats true. Like I said, the collapsing building is definitely cool but good games arent made from collapsing buildings. The other gameplay they showed definitely does not look as interesting as JC3 to me.

Also im a bit worried by this "power of the cloud" business. So how do buildings collapse when you dont have an internet connection?

i'm assuming they don't.

Top Bottom