• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crossplay is pushed by the underdog

Status
Not open for further replies.

filly

It's being pushed by Multiplats that are MP for obvious reason. The more the merrier. That will continue to happen because the technology is there to do it.

Has nothing to do with underdogs or what not. Minecraft and RL are certainly not underdogs.

By underdog, I literally mean the company with the lower install base. There are literally twice as many PS4's in the wild than Xbox Ones. If install base is a competition they are not likely to win, that is what gives them underdog status.

i think its crazy that people expect sony to open their larger userbase to other platform holders. like just give away one of their biggest competitive advantages.

they would lose money because like the op said many people that buy software on their platform to play with friends and/or just bigger communities for certain games, wouldn't have to do it anymore. doesn't majority of the money in the gaming industry come from software sales and locking you up to their ecosystem?

i find the whole thing unrealistic.

Yeah, it seems unlikely that they'd give away arguably their main competitive advantage.

gamz

As a shareholder, I think it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Also I prefer Sony to keep their walled garden so I don't have to deal with filthy Xbox and Switch players. And the most important thing, this uproar seems fabricated by console warriors just to make Sony look like the bad guy.

Don't give in into crossplay guys.

I don't think Sony needs any help in that area and this week proved that. I mean come on.

Ploid 3.0

The problem I see with it is that Sony already do cross play. Hell they do it with rocket league. The problem is they don't wanna play ball with Microsoft in the console realm and the excuses they give are utter toss.

I'm not saying people would be happy if they came out and said "were winning why give ms a boost" but at least they wouldn't be viewing us as idiots

It is what it is. They don't feel like they are in competition with PC (thank goodness, <3 cross playing with PS4. Never buying PS+), they are in competition with Microsoft Xbox Family.

Persona7

Banned
I don't get how this works. With the new update on PC you need to create an xbox gamertag before you are able to play? Or you you simply sign into your microsoft account which just adds another container for Minecraft alongside outlook, one drive, xbox, etc How about Mojang accounts?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Slightly different scenario, where XBL was a paid service and PSN was free.

But as I said in the other thread, let's not worry about the history, let's capitalise on the fact that 2 of the 3 want to do it, get Sony to join the party, and then it'll be a situation much harder/impossible for any of them to back out of in the future.

Trup1aya

I definitely see your point.

There's also the fact that the example of Minecraft is a Microsoft game on a Sony console. It's easy to talk about how open Microsoft is in wanting crossplay, and how closed Sony is in disallowing it.... but are we 100% sure that if Sony published Uncharted 4 on Xbox One that Microsoft would allow you to log in to your PSN account?

I don't see why they wouldn't. You'd still be paying for live. The fact that you'd need an extrernal PSN account would have no impact on MS at all.... and they'd make a shit ton of money from their 30% cut of Uncharted sales on Xbox.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People here actually think either companies are doing what theyre doing because theyre good people?

I will defend that Microsoft's willingness to allow crossplay comes from a recent shift in their corporate culture to promote openness and sell services across platforms. It's a real ideology within that company right now.

I don't see why they wouldn't. You'd still be paying for live. The fact that you'd need an extrernal PSN account would have no impact on MS at all.... and they'd make a shit ton of money from their 30% cut of Uncharted sales on Xbox.

I agree. It would have no negative effect on Sony's bottom line IRL

I could just see it butting up against internal policies. And for all the rhetoric within MS of being open (which is real) for all I know logging into PSN on Xbox would get shut down by some department at MS anyway.

Ploid 3.0

I recall Shadowrun '07 being the only notable game with crossplay (PC-360, granted) last gen. Did PS3 have any examples?

PS2 FFXI, PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 with mods. Sony has been doing it for a while because when they started doing online it was like the wild west. Almost anything was allowed. Konami even had their own service. EA had their own login, etc. Xbox Live was locked down and organized.

gamz

By underdog, I literally mean the company with the lower install base. There are literally twice as many PS4's in the wild than Xbox Ones. If install base is a competition they are not likely to win, that is what gives them underdog status.

Again, it makes no sense. Minecraft on PS4 is probably a drop in the bucket compared to Xbox, PC, Phones, Tabs, and now Switch. So that doesn't really hold water.

filly

Again, it makes no sense. Minecraft on PS4 is probably a drop in the bucket compared to Xbox, PC, Phones, Tabs, and now Switch. So that doesn't really hold water.

We are talking about the division of companies that have a stake in crossplay on consoles here nothing more. I totally understand what you're trying to say and you are clearly not happy with my language, but what you are saying does not invalidate my point.

It's not crossplay, but I remember when EA didn't allow online access for any of their games on the original Xbox. They stuck with PS2, until EA and Microsoft came to terms.

Also, what's different about Sony doing crossplay(between PC and PS4) with Rocket League and a few other games that they've done? Sony has been doing crossplay for well over a decade now and with PC's no less. But the children.

MS did it with Shadowrun, but it failed, mainly because the game was a bomb(even though it was fucking awesome).

I just hope one day, MS and Sony can figure it out. I do understand from Sony's perspective on why they wouldn't want people creating/logging into XBL accounts via a PS4. It also make it that much more amazing that Nintendo actually agreed to it.

RalchAC

I don't think Sony needs any help in that area and this week proved that. I mean come on.

I think he just gathered all the different arguments people have posted against crossplay and posted them. But sacarsm and Internet is hard, so I can't be 100% sure.

dracula_x

Come on Sony gamers, monster hunter world is coming let's help push for it!

Japanese gamers about crossplay:

whats-an-xbox.gif

Sony don't want crossplay because of business, it's that simple and why many are making a big deal out of it, I genuinely don't know. Of course MS and Nintendo are going to push to have games crossplay, one has a console that is struggling against PS4 and Switch can't get half decent 3rd party support to save its life.

Sony want PlayStation customers locked into PlayStation (duh), they don't want consumers being able to think "Yeah, I can get destiny 2 on whatever I feel like and still play with my friend X on PS4". Sony want you to buy a PS4 and PS+, you really think Sony give a fuck about players on anything but Playstation? Course not, #4thefuckingPlaystationplayersbuyingourshit

But I genuinely don't understand this dying need for cross play. I assume it's because the player bases on Switch and XB1 are shit and it's hard to find games? I dunno, the reaction on this forum has been ridiculous and weird shit.

gamz

We are talking about the division of companies that have a stake in crossplay on consoles here nothing more. I totally understand what you're trying to say and you are clearly not happy with my language, but what you are saying does not invalidate my point.

I get what you are saying you are looking at it from a console view, but I don't understand why? This isn't a console view it's much bigger. RL and Minecraft aren't only on consoles.

PS4 and Xbox are just one of the players in the larger pool.

Trup1aya

That is how Minecraft on Nintendo Switch works. You log in with your Microsoft account.

Would Microsoft allow the reverse? Many aspects of the new open Microsoft would say "hell yeah".... but I wouldn't be surprised if there are apparatus' in the company that would stop it anyway.

I think people are misrepresenting the xbl account thing.

On switch, you will need an account with Nintendo so that you can play Nintendo games online. Then you will need a free xbl account (MS account) so that you can have minecraft social features that work across all platforms (xbox,win10,iOS,google,switch,vr) and so you purchases can follow you across any platform you choose to play on.

This account doesn't adversely affect Nintendo in any way, nor would it hurt Sony. It's an arbitrary thing to br apprehensive about.

Insomnium

My stance is just because it's in the interest of the underdog doesn't mean my own interest should be overlooked by Sony.

Then again, the cross play I want is for Monster Hunter, especially for PC and PS4.

Can't tell if serious or sarcastic, though you're not wrong it's getting more noise by other console warriors while Sony ones put up defence against them.
I think you will be quite safe if that's the case then. There are a few titles that allow crossplay between ps4 and pc like FF14 and SF5. In fact if we are just talking about crossplay in general like between any platforms, it's Sony who is more open to it at first, not Microsoft ...

Skux

"Hey Sony, here's a great chance to lose revenue, market share and brand recognition."

"Hey Microsoft, here's a great chance to gain revenue, market share and brand recognition."

It's baffling that so many in a supposedly industry-centric forum can't see the simple business behind these decisions.

That's kinda missing the point. I know what Microsoft is doing is strategical but it doesn't matter. Crossplay is life.

Which is why the hostility towards the i dont care crowd is a little odd.
If people legitimately dont give a shit about something that hasnt even been much of a thing, they shouldn't be coerced into aligning their stand with a corporate marketing strategy because someone else has their interests aligned with them.
While the idea of crossplay is noble, theres a lot more to it than sony playing ball with ms for two games.
Ms played a marketing move with the right tools and it worked brilliantly for them, atleast far as the internet goes.
What are its implications on the actual business? who knows.

AmFreak

Yes, because after creating a precedent with Minecraft it would just stop there ...

tzare

of course it makes sense. Sony gets bad press, MS gets good press because they push for it now, and then they obviously benefit of having a better infrastructure that saves money and is more efficient for minecraft.

Yes, because after creating a precedent with Minecraft it would just stop there ...

this too. And that is what is probably holding Rocket league too. If they allow for one developer/game, how could they deny it to others? They are probably debating what to do with this now.

Ploid 3.0

Crazy indeed that some people may think a company may see benefit in pleasing their userbase.
Also, PC/Mobile/XB1/Switch userbase on Minecraft >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS4 userbase on Minecraft.

And both userbases will have enough people to play with. So it's fine if sony doesn't cave. Like usual there will be enough people to play with unless the game gets replaced... I see what you did there Microsoft. Robert De Niro.gif

I don't think it particularly benefits any platform holder directly. The lowest sold platforms still have a large enough player base to make finding a game easy on anything worth playing.

I think it's more a realisation that it doesn't hurt any platform directly, and in the modern connected world it's just starting to make more sense than not doing it. A world where gamers from all corners are coming together anyway to watch gaming on Twitch, Mixer, Youtube, etc. Why not just go all the way, there are still plenty of other ways for individual platforms to differentiate. Segregating online populations doesn't need to be one of them and is counter intuitive to where we are heading and trending.

Nanashrew

Banned
It's probably because when you have an Xbox account, you'll start getting Xbox emails, then you'll start seeing Xbox deals, then the Xbox games available, then all of a sudden you've bought into the Xbox ecosystem and that's less time and money you're spending on PlayStation.

It sounds farfetched to us but it's exactly the kind of thing that works on thousands of people.

If you have a Microsoft account, you're already part of the Microsoft ecosystem. And there's a good chance that you and most people you know have a Microsoft account.

All you have to do is go to Xbox Live and sign in and create your gamertag. 100% free and easy.

"Hey Sony, here's a great chance to lose revenue, market share and brand recognition."

"Hey Microsoft, here's a great chance to gain revenue, market share and brand recognition."

It's baffling that so many in a supposedly industry-centric forum can't see the simple business behind these decisions.

I wouldn't want gaf running my imaginary business would probably be bankrupt within a year.

dracula_x

Well the thing is monster hunter world is suppose for the western market no? And Sony gamers are not only Japanese or am I missing something clever you are trying to say?

No. It's for all markets (west/east). This is mainline MH game with simultaneous release everywhere.

Monster Hunter World is targeted at the western audience. Congrats for failing a meme so hard.

It's targeted toward western gamers in the sense that it's on powerful consoles again. But it's not like they're changing the game in order to appeal to those western gamers. All the impressions and details say that it's still very much like MH. So, it's not like Japanese gamers are going to reject it. In fact, the most viewed MHW trailer is the Japanese one on Capcom Japan's channel.

Datschge

Crossplay is a complete non issue on mobile, neither Google nor Apple prevent it. Sony is being childish in these days and age, this has nothing to do with being an underdog or not.

In my case no cross play hurts Sony. I have both an Xbox One and a PS4.

I buy the inferior X1 versions of games all the time so I can play with my friends on Xbox.

If PS4 had cross play, I'd buy it for PS4 and play with my friends on Xbox.

Trup1aya

I will defend that Microsoft's willingness to allow crossplay comes from a recent shift in their corporate culture to promote openness and sell services across platforms. It's a real ideology within that company right now.

I agree. It would have no negative effect on Sony's bottom line IRL

I could just see it butting up against internal policies. And for all the rhetoric within MS of being open (which is real) for all I know logging into PSN on Xbox would get shut down by some department at MS anyway.

I strongly doubt that. MS as a company has finally seen the value in expanding their reach into competing services. They finally realize that xb1 is a social network and it can grow virally by allowing it to link with other networks.

The reason we'll never see PSN account required on an Xbox game, it'll be because Sony will never publish a game on Xbox.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future we see steam and switch account integrated into the Xbox UI. There are rumors of Nintendo pushing for the same on switch. It's the natural progression considering the the Xbox app on Win10 tracks steam games.

BADMAN

Which is why the hostility towards the i dont care crowd is a little odd.
If people legitimately dont give a shit about something that hasnt even been much of a thing, they shouldn't be coerced into aligning their stand with a corporate marketing strategy because someone else has their interests aligned with them.
While the idea of crossplay is noble, theres a lot more to it than sony playing ball with ms for two games.
Ms played a marketing move with the right tools and it worked brilliantly for them, atleast far as the internet goes.
What are its implications on the actual business? who knows.

I think all the hostility with the "don't care" crowd comes from everyone being frustrated by the shitposters and militant Sony fans.

Microsoft totally put Sony in a tough position, having to choose between shareholders and gamers. I hope that this play by Microsoft does turn crossplay into a standard. I guess time will tell.

Over the last week we've had a lot of people try and explain to us why allowing crossplay would be bad for Sony's corporate interests. You'd think a simple consumer with no stake at a company wouldn't give a crap about said company's corporate interests. You'd think he or she would be more concerned about his or her own interests. You'd think he or she would push for a feature that has nothing but advantages and literally zero disadvantages. I have this to say to them.

Crossplay, as a feature, benefits you, the consumer. You can play with all your friends without buying more hardware and enjoy a much larger pool of players for matchmaking.

Crossplay, as a feature, benefits developers. It maintains a game's multiplayer population at much healthier levels over time and it increases game sales across all platforms because low multiplayer population is a frequent reason to skip on a game if you only own one platform.

Crossplay, as a feature, doesn't benefit the market leader so they don't allow it. They don't care that it benefits developers and they don't care that it benefits you, they only care about themselves. So why do you care whether or not it benefits them?

Alienous

It doesn't make sense for Sony to do. "I want to play with my friends, and most of my friends have a PS4, so I'll get this game on that" works more often in their favor, due to their large market share.

Conceding that advantage is illogical.

Rmagnus

Banned
It's targeted toward western gamers in the sense that it's on powerful consoles again. But it's not like they're changing the game in order to appeal to those western gamers. All the impressions and details say that it's still very much like MH. So, it's not like Japanese gamers are going to reject it. In fact, the most viewed MHW trailer is the Japanese one on Capcom Japan's channel.

Ya I understand that but how does it affect the message of asking Sony gamers to help push for cross play so we can all play together?
I mean all I have is a gif and Japanese players thing which I don't see the logic behind

In my case no cross play hurts Sony. I have both an Xbox One and a PS4.

I buy the inferior X1 versions of games all the time so I can play with my friends on Xbox.

If PS4 had cross play, I'd buy it for PS4 and play with my friends on Xbox.

Now mapping this scenario to the real world, since ps4 outnumbers xb1 2 to 1, its twice as likely that your friends have a ps4, so to play with them, you buy a ps4.
But if crossplay works you can just keep your xb1 and deny sony a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom