• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crossplay is pushed by the underdog

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jer

Having followed this industry for around 15 years now, I seem to remember (please correct me if I'm wrong), that when the PS3 was around it was Microsoft stone walling cross play with the 360. I'm struggling to find the source of this info however, so I might be talking rubbish.

This was the case with Unreal Tournament 3 and Microsoft came up with some convincing/reasonable reasons for not allowing crossplay for shooters.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007...play-between-the-ps3-and-pcs-through-gamespy/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-killed-pc-xbox-cross-platform-play

Even though this one seems reasonable, this was always the case last gen. It makes business sense. However, it's unfortunate as crossplay is typically better for consumers.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't think anyone would be against that. If there's online an on different platforms (Origin, steam, Win10, PS4, Xbone, Switch, mobile) all online should be cross-play.

You should tell that to "forward thinking" Microsoft. It was they who prevented Windows 10 players from playing with Steam users.

wK3Rx0g.jpg
Heh

Raziel

In a world increasingly dominated by third party online multiplayer gaming on consoles, one of the most powerful motivating factors influencing the decisions of new console buyers is the "where my friends are playing"... it's the network effect.

Sony and Microsoft, however, are in different positions in the marketplace and thus are seeing two different equations as it relates to this effect.

Sony is leading console sales globally at greater than 2:1 for PS4s:XB1s.

This means that for every new consumer in the market for a new console, there's a >2/3 chance that said player has friends playing on PS4 and not XB1.

For Sony, "where my friends are playing" is more valuable, as it continually reinforced their lead in the marketplace.

For MS, giving up the less than 1/3 of buyers who are buying XB1 mainly because their friends all play on the platform is much easier. But on the other hand, for MS, giving up that minimal network advantage for the chance at killing Sony's network advantage outright with cross-play, is a much more valuable opportunity.

For Sony, given their market position, enabling cross-play to gain a little gamer goodwill would be hugely costly, as it would entirely invalidate their network advantage and one of the principal reasons that new console buyers are choosing PS4 over its competing platform.

We can argue all day about the gamer interests all we like, but Sony like MS is a business and so isn't looking to hand their direct competitor in the market a free ride, merely so that gamers can enjoy a bit of novelty.

Until, every single major games publisher is implementing cross-play between all willing platforms in all major new releases, to the exclusion of Sony, Sony will be unlikely to chance their policy on this. And in many ways we shouldn't blame them for looking out for their own corporate interests... as that's what companies exist to do.

If we're going to start complaining that companies should be putting their customer's interests above their corporate interests (something no successful company does ever), then why stop at cross-play? Why not get on at Sony, MS and Nintendo for not publishing their games on all platforms? After all, that's better for gamers; corporate interests be damned.

costanza-clap.gif

I think some in here, including the OP, are under the incorrect assumption that just because there's CPP also means there will be cross-platform chat. I can't see that being the case.

How does that explain the Rocket League developer calling out Sony on their stupid point of view with cross-play?

Rocket League developer and all developers benefit by cross play. Image if gamers could play with friends no matter what your desired platform, multiplat games sales would increase. How many gamers refuse to buy some games because their friends don't have the same console but would if they could play together?

ChazGW7

OP is bang on.

MS specifically are going out of there way to make a competitor look bad, if they made better games people wanted to play they wouldn't have this issue.

We've had it with the cross-play

Undermining 4k capabilities of the pro, saying it doesn't compete with xb1x but the XB1S

And also the sniping at exclusive bonuses like Destiny maps and weapons

Boohoo dude, who gives a damn. MS aren't making Sony look bad, Sony are making themselves look bad with the backwards bullshit responses they have given. Are you employed by Sony? Seriously, why do you jump at the chance to defend them so bad? You come across as such an elitist.

Wow. That is pretty fucked up.

Yeah... the thought of spending 30 seconds of my life registering and logging in to an account... Oh the humanity... /s

Hermii

I think the pr damage to Sony possibly outweighs the cons of sharing their install base.

But it's also very possible noone outside neogaf cares.

Was the backlash this loud last gen? I seem to recall Sony tried with Portal 2 as well (I played that on PS3 while friend was on PC because of cross play). Seems like its now that the roles of reversed and MS needs the cross play to knock off a selling point of the PS4 (larger install base and "all my friends are there"), this has now become a huge thing.

Was the backlash this loud last gen? I seem to recall Sony tried with Portal 2 as well (I played that on PS3 while friend was on PC because of cross play). Seems like its now that the roles of reversed and MS needs the cross play to knock off a selling point of the PS4 (larger install base and "all my friends are there"), this has now become a huge thing.

I love how people are desperately trying to compare this to last gen, where Sony was picky about what was crossplay and it was limited it's in own right. Microsoft literally wants crossplay on everything and are working with Nintendo out of all people. And two of the biggest games of all time have it, Minecraft and Rocket League. But yeah, let's compare this to Portal. 😂

That's why.

That's seriously flawed logic, is what that is.

The combined xbox/switch/PC/mobile installed base is irrelevant when most games aren't even released on all of those platforms.

You can argue about xbox/PC, but Sony is and has been happy to enable cross-play with PC... so the issue here is really just cross-play with xbox.

So far, outside of minecraft, Rocket League and a few indie games, there aren't even that many games released on all three PS/XB/Switch platforms. And even less that are even looking into doing cross-play at the moment.

So RIGHT NOW, there's not enough pressure to provide justification for Sony to give up their network marketplace advantage, to enable cross-play with Xbox on a handful of games.

Like I said, if more games implement cross-play on willing platforms, to the extent that it becomes nigh-on ubiquitous, then it Sony will be in Sony's interests to change their policy.

I don't think it's really all that difficult to understand.

Again, we can argue about Sony's stance being anti-consumer, but without context that's not really meaningful. MS not publishing Halo on PS4 is anti-consumer, but we all understand why they don't because we understand that they're putting their corporate interests about the interests of all gamers. Are we really going to begrudge Sony for the same?

mcrommert

Banned
OP is bang on.

MS specifically are going out of there way to make a competitor look bad, if they made better games people wanted to play they wouldn't have this issue.

We've had it with the cross-play

Undermining 4k capabilities of the pro, saying it doesn't compete with xb1x but the XB1S

And also the sniping at exclusive bonuses like Destiny maps and weapons

Our tears at their hurtful words are hot; so hot as they fall down our cheeks

Will no one think of our emotions?

This was the case with Unreal Tournament 3 and Microsoft came up with some convincing/reasonable reasons for not allowing crossplay for shooters.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007...play-between-the-ps3-and-pcs-through-gamespy/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-killed-pc-xbox-cross-platform-play

Even though this one seems reasonable, this was always the case last gen. It makes business sense. However, it's unfortunate as crossplay is typically better for consumers.

I think this is the main point...if you are going to not allow crossplay at least tell the truth and have a decent reason

Not "think of the children"

That's seriously flawed logic, is what that is.

The combined xbox/switch/PC/mobile installed base is irrelevant when most games aren't even released on all of those platforms.

You can argue about xbox/PC, but Sony is and has been happy to enable cross-play with PC... so the issue here is really just cross-play with xbox.

So far, outside of minecraft, Rocket League and a few indie games, there aren't even that many games released on all three PS/XB/Switch platforms. And even less that are even looking into doing cross-play at the moment.

So RIGHT NOW, there's not enough pressure to provide justification for Sony to give up their network marketplace advantage, to enable cross-play with Xbox on a handful of games.

Like I said, if more games implement cross-play on willing platforms, to the extent that it becomes nigh-on ubiquitous, then it Sony will be in Sony's interests to change their policy.

I don't think it's really all that difficult to understand.

Again, we can argue about Sony's stance being anti-consumer, but without context that's not really meaningful. MS not publishing Halo on PS4 is anti-consumer, but we all understand why they don't because we understand that they're putting their corporate interests about the interests of all gamers. Are we really going to begrudge Sony for the same?

Clear insight, thank you.

leeh

In a world increasingly dominated by third party online multiplayer gaming on consoles, one of the most powerful motivating factors influencing the decisions of new console buyers is the "where my friends are playing"... it's the network effect.

Sony and Microsoft, however, are in different positions in the marketplace and thus are seeing two different equations as it relates to this effect.

Sony is leading console sales globally at greater than 2:1 for PS4s:XB1s.

This means that for every new consumer in the market for a new console, there's a >2/3 chance that said player has friends playing on PS4 and not XB1.

For Sony, "where my friends are playing" is more valuable, as it continually reinforced their lead in the marketplace.

For MS, giving up the less than 1/3 of buyers who are buying XB1 mainly because their friends all play on the platform is much easier. But on the other hand, for MS, giving up that minimal network advantage for the chance at killing Sony's network advantage outright with cross-play, is a much more valuable opportunity.

For Sony, given their market position, enabling cross-play to gain a little gamer goodwill would be hugely costly, as it would entirely invalidate their network advantage and one of the principal reasons that new console buyers are choosing PS4 over its competing platform.

We can argue all day about the gamer interests all we like, but Sony like MS is a business and so isn't looking to hand their direct competitor in the market a free ride, merely so that gamers can enjoy a bit of novelty.

Until, every single major games publisher is implementing cross-play between all willing platforms in all major new releases, to the exclusion of Sony, Sony will be unlikely to chance their policy on this. And in many ways we shouldn't blame them for looking out for their own corporate interests... as that's what companies exist to do.

If we're going to start complaining that companies should be putting their customer's interests above their corporate interests (something no successful company does ever), then why stop at cross-play? Why not get on at Sony, MS and Nintendo for not publishing their games on all platforms? After all, that's better for gamers; corporate interests be damned.
With all the time and effort you spent writing that post you could of spent 2 minutes Googling about it to know that you can't create a party, matchmake, speak or have any social interaction other than text with anyone outside of your own platform.

That of course, makes your entire post invalid.

mcrommert

Banned
You should tell that to "forward thinking" Microsoft. It was they who prevented Windows 10 players from playing with Steam users.

This is nonsense...when cod was not crossplay on the win 10 version microsoft came out and said they weren't the ones blocking crossplay

Unless they are just lying

they are just lying

are just lying

just lying

lying

So in other words, Sony was happy to take the title of being for all gamers when Xbox had some stupid policies.

Now that they are in the lead it is unreasonable for us to expect them to continue that behavior.

Won't someone think of the Shareholders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom