• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crossplay is pushed by the underdog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ms tried Shadowrun when they were on top (at least over Sony).

It's not that they were against cross play, it was that they wanted to push their network into the PC and when they failed they given up.

Rmagnus

Banned
You have to think about Sony, otherwise you aren't dealing in reality.

Businesses aren't run successfully by shooting yourself in the foot because your competition asks you to. Sony have built a player base that is a selling point of the system - throwing that away doesn't make any sense as a business move.

If you want Sony to implement crossplay you can't just want it really badly. You have to make it make business sense to them, i.e. supporting Microsoft to such an extent that the PR advantage of crossplay outweighs the sacrifice of the player base advantage Sony has.

I don't like Sony's decision but it's an understandable one.

No boo I don't think for Sony cause I have no shares with them. I want them to implement cross play so I can play with other Xbox gamers. I am here typing this out to raise awareness and hopefully with enough bad press they will see the error of it. Easier to say fuck you got mine or but Sony... Hell i have a PS4, a switch and no Xbox and I think it's shit move by Sony. Only hope more games implement this and forces Sony's hand.
Next big one will be monster hunter world.

LordRaptor

cbGI8rM.gif

I have been a gamer for 25 years and I can't believe how people will go out of their way to limit their options, just to defend their preferred console manufacturer. Let me know when you find any comments from Sony or any other console manufacturer on opening their online borders to anyone, in the same way Microsoft has. This is not just a software developer trying to connect two networks. In the end the real question is IF THIS IS CONVENIENT OR NOT TO ME AS A GAMER? Do I want to be given the option to play with my friends regardless of the console? This is a yes or no question that works as the starting point, so you can know who is the one that is pushing your interest.

On regards to this being more convenient to the underdog, OF COURSE IT IS, BUT WHO CARES!!! Again do you want to have more options to play with your friends or not. That is the only thing that matters.

I agree with this. I don't really care about what's better for Sony or Microsoft from a business perspective. I care about what is better for me as someone who enjoys playing games. I understand where OP is coming from and there's probably some truth in there, but its completely irrelevant to me why the decision was made.

Datschge

I don't think MS would be nor can they push CP with Monster Hunter. I'd assume it would be the devs that make Monster Hunter for their best interest to have a bigger community.

As I said before the technology is there so I'd assume more and more multiplats MP would push for this.

It'll be really interesting to watch how it plays out.
This. People are blinded by the fact that Microsoft own Minecraft now, but the huge difference to the 360 days is that technology is now so far that multiplayer across any platform is feasible. And with any platform I don't mean PS4, Xbox and PC, but also mobile and TV set top and sticks etc. whatever can play games. The Minecraft update indicates how that can be handled, there's nothing in that that couldn't be done by other games and services as well. Sony isolating its ecosystem may seem alright now that they are leading, but as the gen winds down this is bound to backfire for all affected PS4 gamers.

Minor off topic thought: I feel like Microsoft essentially reclaimed the "gamer's/people's voice" this E3, and Sony looked more and more the out of touch stuffed suits.

Quite a reversal from 2013 and the launch of the current gen. But these positions have swapped back and forth since the two started competing.

I laugh everytime someone compares the relevance of always online drm to cross play for two games.

Skyzard

Banned
Basically.

This was Microsoft on x360 and PS3:

I checked with Microsoft to be sure Rodberg wasn't maybe just mis-hearing them. Maybe Microsoft wanted to break the barrier too? Here's a Microsoft spokesperson saying "no," while promoting how awesome the Xbox 360's online service is: "Xbox Live delivers the best entertainment experience unmatched by anyone else, with 35 million actively engaged members. We have a high level of expectation for our game developers to ensure that all Live experiences remain top notch. Because we can't guarantee this level of quality, or control the player experience on other consoles or gaming networks, we currently do not open our network to games that allow this cross-over capability."

http://kotaku.com/5813740/i-saw-the-playstation-3-wired-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont

But why should I care about that unless I am a fanboy?

You shouldn't. If you own a PS4 and want to play with people on other consoles, go for it, let Sony know you want it.

People who don't own a PS4 and want cross-play to have more people to play with on a different console - sort of like me, I prefer gaming on PC, but they tend to allow that where it makes sense - could ask for it but don't have much right to demand it from Sony really.

Sony should set up some kind of internal voting thing on PS4. They could also use it for other stuff like upcoming PS+ game options or whatever.

"Do you want cross-play or an extra PS+ title"

lol

IMO MS's next console, if it were to have Windows 10 game store support (and so PC backwards compatibility) as well as Xbox game support (by bringing it to PC), would probably leave Sony hurting imo. I say let them make the most of it so they can stay in competition next time. Though it might be in their interest to establish some sort of policy with MS now that goes forward.

I don't believe for a second that MS doesn't want to dominate living room entertainment.

gamz

This. People are blinded by the fact that Microsoft own Minecraft now, but the huge difference to the 360 days is that technology is now so far that multiplayer across any platform is feasible. And with any platform I don't mean PS4, Xbox and PC, but also mobile and TV set top and sticks etc. whatever can play games. The Minecraft update indicates how that can be handled, there's nothing in that that couldn't be done by other games and services as well. Sony isolating its ecosystem may seem alright now that they are leading, but as the gen winds down this is bound to backfire for all affected PS4 gamers.

It oddly reminds me of MS before Satya took over. MS had this isolated view that was crashing on them in every direction and he basically said fuck it we are a services company and blew it up. You'd never see MS embrace Apple and Linux under the old watch.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I laugh everytime someone compares the relevance of always online drm to cross play for two games.

Cross play isn't even much of it.

I just feel that Microsoft has re-positioned themselves this E3 as "just a bunch of gamers who love this medium, listening to feedback" while Sony kinda regressed into the guys in suits pressing 'play' on trailers and not controlling the messaging.

I don't think Sony's all that "out of touch" but their optics this E3 weren't exceptional. And on the other side, Satya Natella/Phil Spencer's Microsoft seems like a very different company from the Mattrick era.

Things go back and forth as they always do.

I just feel that Microsoft has re-positioned themselves this E3 as "just a bunch of gamers who love this medium, listening to feedback" while Sony kinda regressed into the guys in suits pressing 'play' on trailers and not controlling the messaging.

I don't think Sony's all that "out of touch" but their optics this E3 weren't exceptional. And on the other side, Satya Natella/Phil Spencer's Microsoft seems like a very different company from the Mattrick era.

Ah ye that is why Phil paid a bunch of indies to delay their game on PS4. Because he is such a good guy and a gamer. Lol the fact that you fall for his fake bullshit has me laughing.

tzare

I agree with this. I don't really care about what's better for Sony or Microsoft from a business perspective. I care about what is better for me as someone who enjoys playing games. I understand where OP is coming from and there's probably some truth in there, but its completely irrelevant to me why the decision was made.

Well, not sure how the business will evolve, but online, playing online, services, and digital stores, are the future, and a bad decision may put sony, or MS or even nintendo in an difficult position in the future, and that could mean less money for their first party, that are the ones that make games.So if you interested in sony or nintendo or MS ips , it could make sense that you want their business to be healthy to keep providing the games you like. You do not need to be a shareholder to think like that.

Alienous

No boo I don't think for Sony cause I have no shares with them. I want them to implement cross play so I can play with other Xbox gamers. I am here typing this out to raise awareness and hopefully with enough bad press they will see the error of it. Easier to say fuck you got mine or but Sony... Hell i have a PS4, a switch and no Xbox and I think it's shit move by Sony. Only hope more games implement this and forces Sony's hand.
Next big one will be monster hunter world.

As I said before you can think and want whatever you'd like. I'd like free games but it doesn't make business sense. I'd like crossplay but it doesn't make business sense.

The reality is that business is an exchange - you want Sony to give up a key benefit of their market dominance, what are they getting in exchange? What's worth the loss of, potentially, a market advantage worth millions of dollars? Being ignorant of the realities of business doesn't make crossplay any more likely to happen.

Really you'd have to rid Sony of their market advantage first, but then I wonder if Xbox would even want crossplay if they were the market leader.

Ryuuga

Banned
As a fan of fighting games that's why I want crossplay to be standard. Even on the PS ecosystem which is larger than others it's difficult to find matches in some games.

Fair enough. It'd be better for the standard to just be one gigantic pool of players to choose from.

Ah ye that is why Phil paid a bunch of indies to delay their game on PS4. Because he is such a good guy and a gamer. Lol the fact that you fall for his fake bullshit has me laughing.
The indie parity clause is complete garbage but that doesn't negate the good things microsoft are and are trying to do

The same goes for Sony. No company will ever be perfect. It's just that on this particular issue Sony is wrong

That is how Minecraft on Nintendo Switch works. You log in with your Microsoft account.

Would Microsoft allow the reverse? Many aspects of the new open Microsoft would say "hell yeah".... but I wouldn't be surprised if there are apparatus' in the company that would stop it anyway.

Sure, but what about Rocket League. The server is at Psyonix.

As a fan of fighting games that's why I want crossplay to be standard. Even on the PS ecosystem which is larger than others it's difficult to find matches in some games.
Exactly, I have to buy two copies right now to play Marvel or Tekken 7 with my friends.

BADMAN

Minor off topic thought: I feel like Microsoft essentially reclaimed the "gamer's/people's voice" this E3, and Sony looked more and more the out of touch stuffed suits.

Quite a reversal from 2013 and the launch of the current gen. But these positions have swapped back and forth since the two started competing.

Really? I didn't get that feeling at all. The tone from both presentations seemed identical to last year.

You're not wrong OP but the difference between then and now is that I believe progress is being made for this to be a standard, or at least, common practice. Yes, I am glad MS is using this as a weapon against Sony. Sue me.

Its far from what it was at the xb1 launch sure.
But they let 360's success get to their heads.
This is MS trying to say nice things coming off of it but being total hypocrites about it.

Phil says he hates paid exclusivity, yet half the games at his conference were just that.
Phil says he's above console wars yet he's the first to fan the flames.
Phil, iirc, even said they were against mid gen upgrades when sony's pro rumors started floating around and getting flak.
They pretend theyre so open with cross play and whatnor, yet their marketing remains as shady as ever. Misleading exclusivity tags, the whole pro isnt a competition because of the true 4k bs while using cbr themselves.

BocoDragon

Oh I'm not falling for anything, personally. I'm reading the room on how each platform holder influenced the dialogue around gaming. Microsoft had consumer-focused messaging this E3 to a greater degree than Sony.

It's a reversal from 2013, which was itself a reversal from 2006-2008, etc. The underdog always reevaluates its message and rocks the boat a bit, while the leader gets complacent.

I see how this is being framed by both sides arguing their points, but honestly I can only see it as Sony being anti-consumer if I take a step back. Of course, I also remember the example of Microsoft not allowing cross-play last generation, but that was under other leadership and before the company openly exclaimed XBL would be available as an open cross-play platform. In the example of FFXIV I think there are different circumstances for the SE servers connecting to each platform and service along with the updating of the game that is preventing it from releasing on Xbox, and I believe the update scenario was most recently given as the reason by SE.

The reason I believe it is generally not a case of this only being due to Microsoft being the underdog is because I'm thinking about the long term with this cross-play initiative and now that Microsoft has stated very publicly this is their policy it would create so much more backlash in the future if they were to become market leaders and reverse their stance that it wouldn't make sense for them to have this policy unless they are actually invested in it. At the end of the day, the decisions Sony are making regarding cross-play are anti-consumer and shouldn't be defended by gamers, even if you're trying to see it from their perspective we shouldn't defend it. They do have an obligation to their shareholders, but they also have an obligation to the industry that supports their hardware and software, if they aren't going to be pro consumer they should just give the reason why they've made the decision and try and side step it saying it's due to the security of their player base.

Now mapping this scenario to the real world, since ps4 outnumbers xb1 2 to 1, its twice as likely that your friends have a ps4, so to play with them, you buy a ps4.
But if crossplay works you can just keep your xb1 and deny sony a sale.

My best friend, his brother in law (who I am also friends with), my partners friend and his brother all own Xbox Ones. None own a PS4, I am the only one with a PS4. Its why I went with Microsoft this gen initially.

I would buy games on PS4 if I could cross play with them

Its far from what it was at the xb1 launch sure.
But they let 360's success get to their heads.
This is MS trying to say nice things coming off of it but being total hypocrites about it.

Phil says he hates paid exclusivity, yet half the games were just that.
Phil, iirc, even said they were against mid gen upgrades when sony's pro rumors started floating around and getting flak.
They pretend theyre so open with cross play and whatnor, yet their marketing remains as shady as ever. Misleading exclusivity tags, the whole pro isnt a competition because of the true 4k bs while using cbr themselves.
Phil said he's against exclusive content in multiplatform games, not exclusive third party games
He's also the head of xbox, so of course he's going to promote xbox. That doesn't mean he's feeding into an us vs them mentality. Wanting crossplay is antithetical to that
I'd love to see a source on him being against console upgrades
Phil Spencer is not some infallible person but he gets hyperbolic hate for every statement he makes from people on neogaf. It's tiring and childish

Norse

If consumers say your product lacks exclusives, you give them exclusives by any means necessary. Be it first party, third party, or timed. Not very hard to understand really.

ianpm31

As I said before you can think and want whatever you'd like. I'd like free games but it doesn't make business sense. I'd like crossplay but it doesn't make business sense.

The reality is that business is an exchange - you want Sony to give up a key benefit of their market dominance, what are they getting in exchange? What's worth the loss of, potentially, a market advantage worth millions of dollars? Being ignorant of the realities of business doesn't make crossplay any more likely to happen.

Really you'd have to rid Sony of their market advantage first, but then I wonder if Xbox would even want crossplay if they were the market leader.

Someone here gets it.

My best friend, his brother in law (who I am also friends with), my partners friend and his brother all own Xbox Ones. None own a PS4, I am the only one with a PS4. Its why I went with Microsoft this gen initially.

I would buy games on PS4 if I could cross play with them

Yes i get that.
All im saying is that people's best friends are twice as likely to be on ps4. Not that the opposite cannot exist.
And like i said if people such as you are in large numbers, market forces will force sony to change their stance.
But only if.

BocoDragon

Really? I didn't get that feeling at all. The tone from both presentations seemed identical to last year.

It seemed like Sony's #4thegamers soul was completely sucked out of it. I chalk it up due to laziness in preparation for their presentation though. Just Shawn Layden talking for a minute then showing some trailers. A far cry from the very hungry Sony of 2013-14 where it was all "play used games! Cross-buy! Indies! We love gamers!" They didn't need to bring a message at all, it seems. Success will cause that.

Now MS seems to have long since purged any Mattrick arrogance, and were themselves pushing an "open" message. I mean they showed Nintendo Switch in their own Minecraft trailer. That is not the Microsoft of <2013.

Whether it matters for console success, I do not know. But I saw the messaging change this year for each company.

Raziel

Phil said he's against exclusive content in multiplatform games, not exclusive third party games
He's also the head of xbox, so of course he's going to promote xbox. That doesn't mean he's feeding into an us vs them mentality. Wanting crossplay is antithetical to that
Phil Spencer is not some infallible person but he gets hyperbolic hate for every statement he makes from people on neogaf. It's tiring and childish

Poor Phil. :(

Izuna

Banned
You're talking about the Microsoft that was also around pre-Kinect/Media Consumption days?

Look no further than the OG Xbox up to the launch of the 360 to see that this is more like a return to form rather than a new look. They still haven't loved up to the amount of love for gaming that they had back then.

quickwhips

On minecraft you log into a windows live account to store your world in the cloud. Your not technically making an Xbox live account as when you make a live account you would add more info to use it for Xbox still..

Nanashrew

Banned
Japanese gamers about crossplay:

whats-an-xbox.gif

Dragon Quest 10 on PS4 and Switch?

it doesn't matter. most of the user base will be from Japan

Oof... I don't think you keep up with Media Create threads... Software sales in Japan for home sales have dropped off a cliff this generation. Many IPs have seen degradation outside of Nintendo and Persona.

Currently, Capcom and Level-5 are on suicide watch if things go south for them.

FLAguy954

PC and mobile are the underdogs now?

This.

I game exclusively on PC and I'm an advocate for crossplay.

This isn't just some console wars bullshit.

Just take Gears of War 4 crossplay for PC/XB1 for example. What The Coalition did there is fucking awesome and should serve as an example on how to implement crossplay the right way.

EvB

Phil says he hates paid exclusivity, yet half the games at his conference were just that.

He has stated that he has no idea when those games are coming to other platforms because it's nothing to do with them. isnt it just that many of these developers are truly independent and are only working on one platform , which happens to be an Xbox One because the ID@Xbox program has been proven to be really great for indies. Sony has really pulled back on indie support since their focus became VR.

Phil has never said he was against mid gen upgrades, what he said was he didn't want it to be a small upgrade,they wanted to move forward in a big way. They delivered a machine over 4.5d more powerful than the Xbox one.

What misleading about saying it's a console launch exclusive?
We know what a console exclusive means. We also know what a times exclusive is, however this suggests that it is delayed, which they have stated is not the case.

rudger

You guys realize this cross play issue is also currently making news because of Rocket League and that game has nothing to do with having a Microsoft or Nintendo account, right? ...right?!?!

dracula_x

Dragon Quest 10 on PS4 and Switch?

Final Fantasy XIV, though. So it's up to Square Enix, I think.

Oof... I don't think you keep up with Media Create threads...

Monster Hunter World will do fine in Japan, don't worry :) People are excited:

1sRDmcP.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe-RAeDfOMM

Software sales in Japan for home sales have dropped off a cliff this generation. Many IPs have seen degradation outside of Nintendo and Persona.

Currently, Capcom and Level-5 are on suicide watch if things go south for them.

btw, launches aligned, PS4 is ahead of PS3 in software sales. ;)

PS3 retail software sales, Nov 2006 - Dec 2009 (38 months): 15.7m

PS4 retail software sales, Feb 2014 - Feb 2017 (36 months): 17.2m

Add some 1.5m of digital sales for PS4.

Got to remember that software sales for PS3 during the early years were abysmal, so doing slightly better than the PS3 is not wha the PS4 should be trying to do.

&#8594; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231002337&postcount=232

with upcoming DQXI and MHW &#8211; the difference will be even bigger

BocoDragon

You're talking about the Microsoft that was also around pre-Kinect/Media Consumption days?

Look no further than the OG Xbox up to the launch of the 360 to see that this is more like a return to form rather than a new look. They still haven't loved up to the amount of love for gaming that they had back then.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. It's back to the dynamic of <2009 where it was an increasingly complacent Sony and hungry MS.

But it's not just "return to form". The Xbox teams have changed people and philosophies several times (as any group). If they've got a stronger message lately, it's due to the work of new people adapting to new times. Sony did that themselves just 4-5 years ago (and they did in the mid 90s too).

Moosichu

"Hey Sony, here's a great chance to lose revenue, market share and brand recognition."

"Hey Microsoft, here's a great chance to gain revenue, market share and brand recognition."

It's baffling that so many in a supposedly industry-centric forum can't see the simple business behind these decisions.

"Hey Sony, your customers are upset, meaning you might lose revenue, market share and brand recognition"

Sony lost any advantage they had as soon as MS and Nintendo teamed-up, the network externalities work against Sony now, not for them.

It's baffling that so many in a supposedly industry-centric forum can't see the simple business behind these decisions.

Izuna

Banned
That's pretty much what I'm saying. It's back to the dynamic of <2009 where it was an increasingly complacent Sony and hungry MS.

But it's not just "return to form". The Xbox teams have changed people and philosophies several times (as any group). If they've got a stronger message lately, it's due to the work of new people adapting to new times. Sony did that themselves just 4-5 years ago.

It's just simply that they are focusing on less stuff. No more TV boxes, no more Kinect... They spread themselves thin by the start of this gen but their philosophy didn't change... The perception of them did. If MS had gotten the sales Sony ended up getting, we would have had a severe lack of third-party titles appearing and would have continued getting games like D4 or Crimson Dragon funded.

Now they are dropping all the extra stuff. Perception is returning because of it, and they hope this will translate to sales.

Ploid 3.0

This.

I game exclusively on PC and I'm an advocate for crossplay.

This isn't just some console wars bullshit.

Just take Gears of War 4 crossplay for PC/XB1 for example. What The Coalition did there is fucking awesome and should serve as an example on how to implement crossplay the right way.

What did Coalition do? Though if it's integrate Xbox Live or something, I bet it's because Windows 10 is basically Xbox Live. I only tried Killer Instinct on Windows store though, but I remember seeing the UI when Phil presented Xbox Windows 10. The whole Play Anywhere thing.

Sony have always seemed very open to cross play with PC. They let Epic patch Paragon weekly without a problem, keeping up with the PC version.

I-hate-u

Do you guys recall a little game called Portal 2? Sony allowed cross play between steam and ps3 users, despite requiring a steam account registration.

Sony has a bone to pick with XBL and not Steam apparently.

Alucardx23

Well, not sure how the business will evolve, but online, playing online, services, and digital stores, are the future, and a bad decision may put sony, or MS or even nintendo in an difficult position in the future, and that could mean less money for their first party, that are the ones that make games.So if you interested in sony or nintendo or MS ips , it could make sense that you want their business to be healthy to keep providing the games you like. You do not need to be a shareholder to think like that.

It would be better if you share why this would hurt all companies if it happens. Let's say that tomorrow Sony jumps in and says that they will also allow all developers to do crossplay if the want. How do you think things will look one or two years after that? I actually think that it is not only beneficial to the gamers to have more options, but it will hurt Sony in the long run if they let the competition unify into basically a single online service. It doesn't look good for Sony when Android, iOS, Steam, Nintendo Online and Xbox Live can all have a single player pool where all gamers can play together and they remain out of that. People seem to forget that Sony has the position they have right now because they gave gamers what they wanted. You could argue that following Microsoft plan of not letting resell the games was the better business decision.

So securing entire games for a period is good but timed dlc is evil?
Promoting xbox by being deliberately misleading and targeting the competition with false spins. I understand why he's doing it. But it still means he's doing and its not a good thing for the consumers.
Your source
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-05-phil-spencer-plays-down-xbox-one-and-a-half-rumours
And everything is hyperbolic on gaf, including the outrage over cross play
Does he deserve hate as person? No.
He's doing his job. But the way he does it often involves misleading people and thats where stems from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom