• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crossplay is pushed by the underdog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely see your point.

There's also the fact that the example of Minecraft is a Microsoft game on a Sony console. It's easy to talk about how open Microsoft is in wanting crossplay, and how closed Sony is in disallowing it.... but are we 100% sure that if Sony published Uncharted 4 on Xbox One that Microsoft would allow you to log in to your PSN account?
Good point. Let's come back and answer that the day Sony publish it on Xbox One.

Until then why don't we think about the cross platform game that exists NOW.

Ferr986

As a shareholder, I think it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Also I prefer Sony to keep their walled garden so I don't have to deal with filthy Xbox and Switch players. And the most important thing, this uproar seems fabricated by console warriors just to make Sony look like the bad guy.

Don't give in into crossplay guys.

ffs the only warriors are the ones defending Sony over their own consumers.

I'm a Sony customer, I ONLY have a PS4 and I don't plan to change that during this gen. And as a player, I want the most people to play in an online game, I don't care if he comes from an Xbox console or Switch, because I don't care about console wars. I just want more people to play. I don't see how this is console warriors.

I hope this post is sarcasm and I failed at this but I can't tell anymore..

Norse

It's probably because when you have an Xbox account, you'll start getting Xbox emails, then you'll start seeing Xbox deals, then the Xbox games available, then all of a sudden you've bought into the Xbox ecosystem and that's less time and money you're spending on PlayStation.

It sounds farfetched to us but it's exactly the kind of thing that works on thousands of people.

Bingo....this is exactly the reason.

What would be interesting is if ea made Madden and FIFA cross play only. I bet Ms and Sony would be a bit more open there.

As a shareholder, I think it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Also I prefer Sony to keep their walled garden so I don't have to deal with filthy Xbox and Switch players. And the most important thing, this uproar seems fabricated by console warriors just to make Sony look like the bad guy.

This is the worst possible take

Ploid 3.0

Just like how they do when they allowed cross play with Steam right?

Wait...

They've been allowing cross play with PC for as long as they had online MP on their console, they apparently don't see PC as competition. Though they do try to slow down their gamers from looking to PC with PS Pro. It's hard not to own a console though, and PC PS4 is such a good combo that I bet they still don't view it as a competitor.

Does cross play let you play with friends or only randoms? I would of thought the biggest problem is no cross platform friends lists / parties / chat.

Alienous

Over the last week we've had a lot of people try and explain to us why allowing crossplay would be bad for Sony's corporate interests. You'd think a simple consumer with no stake at a company wouldn't give a crap about said company's corporate interests. You'd think he or she would be more concerned about his or her own interests. You'd think he or she would push for a feature that has nothing but advantages and literally zero disadvantages. I have this to say to them.

Crossplay, as a feature, benefits you, the consumer. You can play with all your friends without buying more hardware and enjoy a much larger pool of players for matchmaking.

Crossplay, as a feature, benefits developers. It maintains a game's multiplayer population at much healthier levels over time and it increases game sales across all platforms because low multiplayer population is a frequent reason to skip on a game if you only own one platform.

Crossplay, as a feature, doesn't benefit the market leader so they don't allow it. They don't care that it benefits developers and they don't care that it benefits you, they only care about themselves. So why do you care whether or not it benefits them?

I'm not defending Sony's decision out of loyalty - I own all of the platforms and crossplay would be great. But I can completely understand a company not playing into a Xanatos Gambit that their opposition presents them with.

If they don't want to be muscled into it then so be it, they'll just have to take the bad PR. Vote with your wallets and support Xbox, then maybe Sony will be the one wanting to leverage Xbox's market share.

Alucardx23

I have been a gamer for 25 years and I can't believe how people will go out of their way to limit their options, just to defend their preferred console manufacturer. Let me know when you find any comments from Sony or any other console manufacturer on opening their online borders to anyone, in the same way Microsoft has. This is not just a software developer trying to connect two networks. In the end the real question is IF THIS IS CONVENIENT OR NOT TO ME AS A GAMER? Do I want to be given the option to play with my friends regardless of the console? This is a yes or no question that works as the starting point, so you can know who is the one that is pushing your interest.

On regards to this being more convenient to the underdog, OF COURSE IT IS, BUT WHO CARES!!! Again do you want to have more options to play with your friends or not. That is the only thing that matters.

Come on Sony gamers, monster hunter world is coming let's help push for it!

This is an opinion rich with implications.

And is MHW actually related with this whole Minecraft-Live accounts on other platforms thing? I'm asking because I can't really follow what's going on anymore.

I actually thought that the Playstation consoles were the ones that let you play a few games with PC players.

RomeoDog

Banned
Everyone laughed at Denis Dyack for going on 1up yours in 2007 complaining that console architecture should be unified( it now is with x64 cpu's) and that multiplayer should be under one umbrella.

Basically the guys crazy rambling became half true, and threads like this make him even seem more right.

delSai

Does cross play let you play with friends or only randoms? I would of thought the biggest problem is no cross platform friends lists / parties / chat.
Depends on the game. Rocket League only allows to join up in private matches, however you can get randomly matched up with em in ranked too.

Nanashrew

Banned
How true is it that Sony doesn't see PC as competition?

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...o-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around

Regarding the PlayStation 4 Pro, he suggested the Xbox wasn’t even being considered its main competition. Rather, it was the PC. “I saw some data that really influenced me,” he said. “It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had. We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro – and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement.”

Ploid 3.0

Bingo....this is exactly the reason.

What would be interesting is if ea made Madden and FIFA cross play only. I bet Ms and Sony would be a bit more open there.

There would be a negotiation, someone will lose, or everyone will be satisfied enough with the results. I'm sure Microsoft talked with sony enough on this proposal and someone or both wouldn't budge on something. Now here we are, this could either work for Microsoft or not. The biggest game as the catalyst. 4k blocky textures, super duper! (I'm not a fan of Minecraft, I'm saying this sarcastically).

Some games let you look up names, you could probably make a lobby with passwords. Usually there are tools to find someone you know.

Paragon PC for example. Friends list shows the PS4 controller (this is probably the only way to know if a person is playing on a PS4 with the PC version btw).
3cJ6sdv.png

WhatNXt

It's a decision that clearly isn't #4ThePlayers , and as they've built a lot of support on the back of that ethos this generation I think they deserve the criticism. We've got developers like Psyonix on record as to why it would benefit everybody. Back in the day when Xbox Live was a walled garden, I could understand why other networks weren't getting let in. But when publishers and developers are running their own infrastructure, for Sony to prohibit what they do with that to this degree, when the demand is out there - it's just a bad idea. I'm pretty certain they're going to backroll on it and allow it for Rocket League. It would be easy PR and a big win for RL players everywhere.

gamz

Now mapping this scenario to the real world, since ps4 outnumbers xb1 2 to 1, its twice as likely that your friends have a ps4, so to play with them, you buy a ps4.
But if crossplay works you can just keep your xb1 and deny sony a sale.

Or you can deny being on the new Minecraft platform (and whatever else follows) and lose sales because of that too. I mean you never want to be on the bad side of history.

Minecraft and RL hasn't and aren't going to suffer because of this, so I guess we'll see how it plays out.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I strongly doubt that. MS as a company has finally seen the value in expanding their reach into competing services. They finally realize that xb1 is a social network and it can grow virally by allowing it to link with other networks.

The reason we'll never see PSN account required on an Xbox game, it'll be because Sony will never publish a game on Xbox.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future we see steam and switch account integrated into the Xbox UI. There are rumors of Nintendo pushing for the same on switch. It's the natural progression considering the the Xbox app on Win10 tracks steam games.

I agree that the modern philosophy of Microsoft should allow this. I just don't know if it ultimately would. I'd love to see it put to the test.

Spades

Please be a joke post.

ianpm31

So if ms wants to have cross play with Sony on monster hunter when the sales split will no doubt be 85/15. You think Sony's the bad guy because they don't want to give ms a big community? Ms is now all about play anywhere etc basically lost their identity because all you have to do is get a pc. That's not Sony's strategy these guys are about having and protecting their identity and it has been working having won 3 out of the last 4 generations. It's like some people want all consoles to have no exclusives and everybody can play whatever against whoever on any console lol

Rmagnus

Banned
So if ms wants to have cross play with Sony on monster hunter when the sales split will no doubt be 85/15. You think Sony's the bad guy because they don't want to give ms a big community? Ms is now all about play anywhere etc basically lost their identity because all you have to do is get a pc. That's not Sony's strategy these guys are about having and protecting their identity and it has been working having won 3 out of the last 4 generations.

Again stop thinking for Sony and think for actual human gamers. So ya fk those gamers that only have Xbox they can play with themselves..
What the actual hell ppl

So if ms wants to have cross play with Sony on monster hunter when the sales split will no doubt be 85/15. You think Sony's the bad guy because they don't want to give ms a big community? Ms is now all about play anywhere etc basically lost their identity because all you have to do is get a pc. That's not Sony's strategy these guys are about having and protecting their identity and it has been working having won 3 out of the last 4 generations.

There'll be PC sales though. What will it be if it's 70%/30% ? Would you say "oh well, it's okay to have 30% less players". And what will it be in 3 years, when there'll be less players ?

But yeah, whatever, company identity and such. In none of your post I've read the word consumer or user.

For Sony itself and not the consumer it makes sense.

They dont really have a benefit and at the end their consumers get bombarded with Xbox emails and yelled at from Hanzo players from another system.

PS4 is the console market leader. Their playerbase gonna find someone to play with no worries.

Its easy to want crossplay if you are the underdog.

gamz

I don't think MS would be nor can they push CP with Monster Hunter. I'd assume it would be the devs that make Monster Hunter for their best interest to have a bigger community.

As I said before the technology is there so I'd assume more and more multiplats MP would push for this.

It'll be really interesting to watch how it plays out.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Like it or not, it really effects PS4 Minecraft players. They will effectively be stuck on a last gen version, unable to share their creations with the wider world, while every other console, including the Switch, will move forward.

Widge

I think this is all entirely contingent on the positioning of Sony this gen.

If you're leading the way, you tend to want to be conservative about your position. If you're chasing, you're open to anything that gives a little USP.

I distinctly remember signing onto Steam when playing Portal 2 on the PS3 last gen. Also my sole copy got me access across Steam and PS3. They were playing catch up then and obviously needed anything they could grab onto.

Times change, they can be in the position where they say "it is our network or nothing". I believe it was Microsoft that was the walled garden before.

fernoca

That is how Minecraft on Nintendo Switch works. You log in with your Microsoft account.

Would Microsoft allow the reverse? Many aspects of the new open Microsoft would say "hell yeah".... but I wouldn't be surprised if there are apparatus' in the company that would stop it anyway.

The new Minecraft will require xbl accounts for Nintendo Switch players apparently. Serious.
Also keeping in mind that the reason you can/have to login with Live is because they're also unifying purchases and other things. So aside cross play is also cross buy.

Cross play in Rocket League is also (currently) limited in that you can only play with friends. No lobbies or get together to play against other people. So while the idea is nice, the execution is not perfect.

I constantly play it on my Xbox with friends on Steam, and while great and fun, is only against each other or the CPU.

Alienous

Again stop thinking for Sony and think for actual human gamers. So ya fk those gamers that only have Xbox they can play with themselves..
What the actual hell ppl

You have to think about Sony, otherwise you aren't dealing in reality.

Businesses aren't run successfully by shooting yourself in the foot because your competition asks you to. Sony have built a player base that is a selling point of the system - throwing that away doesn't make any sense as a business move.

If you want Sony to implement crossplay you can't just want it really badly. You have to make it make business sense to them, i.e. supporting Microsoft to such an extent that the PR advantage of crossplay outweighs the sacrifice of the player base advantage Sony has.

I don't like Sony's decision but it's an understandable one.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I agree.

Plenty of examples already support this. Does it make it right? No. But it makes it understandable, believable.

Out of all the the things ppl touted Arrogant Sony for this gen, this would be a legitimate case.

Even if it makes business sense.

Gotta hand it to MS. They turned the bad press from the orig XBO reveal around alot. And are doing the lil things to try to regain mindshare.

gamz

For Sony itself and not the consumer it makes sense.

They dont really have a benefit and at the end their consumers get bombarded with Xbox emails and yelled at from Hanzo players from another system.

PS4 is the console market leader. Their playerbase gonna find someone to play with no worries.

Its easy to want crossplay if you are the underdog.

MC and RL aren't underdogs. You are mistaking Xbox and MC. MC isn't only on Xbox and PlayStation. If that was the case you would make sense.

Or you can deny being on the new Minecraft platform (and whatever else follows) and lose sales because of that too. I mean you never want to be on the bad side of history.

Minecraft and RL hasn't and aren't going to suffer because of this, so I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Well it would be a legitimate concern if ms started making/owning more than one game thats on ps4 and xbox. But at that itll be far more bizarre for ms to be making their own consoles
So... Blah.

ianpm31

What the actual hell ppl

You can't be serious. Next time you may need to rethink your console purchase if you can't play certain games or against certain people. People seem to forget that Ms entered the gaming industry because they didn't like that Sony dominated the market. These are corporations who are working to earn your dollars and everything is fair game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Minor off topic thought: I feel like Microsoft essentially reclaimed the "gamer's/people's voice" this E3, and Sony looked more and more the out of touch stuffed suits.

Quite a reversal from 2013 and the launch of the current gen. But these positions have swapped back and forth since the two started competing.

NEO0MJ

Personally, cross-play will only matter when it becomes difficult to find matches in games I care about.

As a fan of fighting games that's why I want crossplay to be standard. Even on the PS ecosystem which is larger than others it's difficult to find matches in some games.

tzare

Everyone laughed at Denis Dyack for going on 1up yours in 2007 complaining that console architecture should be unified( it now is with x64 cpu's) and that multiplayer should be under one umbrella.

Basically the guys crazy rambling became half true, and threads like this make him even seem more right.

i don't know who is this guy, but i always thought that a single console with multiple manufacturers would be ideal, but then at least in forums people talk that competition is needed etc etc.... but then this thing happens crossplay, which is contrary to competition, since alters the market (the online portion, that is huge today) by allowing the ones behind benefit from the leaders userbase, and people are for it. It doesn't make sense (I understand however, the desire to want this as a gamer)
Maybe we should ask Mojang or Rocket league devs if they will also allow crossbuy, you buy rocketleague or minecraft in any of the crossplay platforms and can play it on any platform you own. That would be consumer friendly too, no?

Nanashrew

Banned
Since some are talking about MHW for a moment.

If Monster Hunter World gets no crossplay it goes completely against their philosophy of not wanting to split the playerbase up. It'd be a slap in the face because they have consistently said for years and years they don't like splitting the userbase of their games up because want absolutely everyone on-board so friends can play together. That is why they always chose exclusivity.

Crossplay is how I imagined Monster Hunter to go if they ever decided to ditch exclusivity and go multiplatform like World is doing.

Sony could easily get in the way of that.

Caronte

What if Sony said "ok you can do crossplay as long as you don't need to create new accounts", therefore allowing Rocket League's crossplay but not Minecraft's?

MC and RL aren't underdogs. You are mistaking Xbox and MC. MC isn't only on Xbox and PlayStation. If that was the case you would make sense.

Microsoft owns Minecraft. Yeah i bet you Phil never whispers in their ears.

Also its about Sony not wanting it. Cant deny that at least Microsoft helps pushing it.

CookTrain

Why if Sony said "ok you can do crossplay as long as you don't need to create new accounts", therefore allowing Rocket League's crossplay but not Minecraft's?

It'd be oddly specific given they were fine with it for Steam, but it'd be a step in the right direction at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom