• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek to close all studios except Frankfurt HQ and Warface studio in Kiev

Yet it still pales in comparison to Wargaming. That's a company that has grown massively over the last five years (now 4000+ employees).

Not sure why you're comparing them to Wargaming? World of Tanks has been extremely popular across the globe and has given them a huge and consistent revenue stream for years, allowing them (and probably necessitating them) to expand a lot and quickly. Despite their forays into F2P gaming Crytek have never had that kind of income, yet despite that they still expanded quickly.

Hope that their employees land on their feet. Never nice to lose jobs but around this time of year? Awful.

Seriously though. "Warface"? Whoever thought that was a good name needs a slap.

Yeah, Warface is an awful name. I think it was called that to promote some kind of proprietary multiplayer face tech they were making, but even so that's a special kind of shit name.

What were all those studios doing ? Crytek haven't released any big game since Ryse iirc.

They released two VR games this year (The Climb and Robinson: The Journey), they've presumably got a team supporting Warface and they had Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age and Arena of Fate in development too. Also released a mobile game called The Collectibles a few years back.

Did pride kill the studio? I remember hearing that Ryse 2 fell through because ceytek wanted to keep the IP and this was near when they faced collapse two year ago.

Pride certainly played a part, it would seem. I get the feeling that Cevat Yerli is extremely arrogant, in part given that he refused to sell Ryse in return for guaranteed paydays from MS, and also because Ubisoft have to credit every Far Cry game as based on Far Cry directed by Cevat Yerli.

Tough decision that they should make like two years ago.

Yep; they absolutely should have closed down all these extraneous studios back in 2014 after the Amazon bailout.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ps. I still cant believe they did not do Crysis Trilogy remaster on next-gen launch. It would be so successful, its mind-boggling.

You serious? People gave a shit about Crysis beyond it's graphics? That's news to me.

I've never managed to actually finish a single Crysis game and I played them all. Uninspired borefests.

As soon as multiples news of unpaid emplyees popped up , i knew something was wrong .
Hoping the affected will be able to land of their feet

I'm still quite surprised they had so many studio since i don't recall a release from them since ryse. I expected even small projects but we had nothing since then.

Mooreberg

This was inevitable. They made some money from the Amazon deal, but nothing they have released since Crysis 3 seems to have found much of an audience. It does not seem like they ever actually gave UE or Unity much competition. Best of luck to those looking for new gigs.

nampad

I am actually surprised that some parts of Crytek are still staying afloat after all the bad news we got.
Everybody knows that their expansion didn't work out but the news about employees in Frankfurt not getting paid sounded really bad, especially considering the Amazon deal was not so long ago.

Apathy

That company seriously needs to get someone in to manage it better. It's clear that they can't do it on their own. Gotta feel for the workers, specially after not getting paid

horkrux

You serious? People gave a shit about Crysis beyond it's graphics? That's news to me.

I've never managed to actually finish a single Crysis game and I played them all. Uninspired borefests.

Most people don't, but a majority of those haven't even played them. Games are really good shooters actually - 1 is one of the best I've ever played - but they will always be tech demos in people's minds.

KKRT00

Turn off hud and set the highest difficulty and they wont be boring anymore.
Games are legit fun.

Head.spawn

Had a blast with the MP. It saved me from continuing to slog through the abomination known as Halo 4 MP.

I never liked Crysis after the first hour. It felt really repetitive and shallow to me.

But to close all of these places at once? With 4 god damn days before Christmas?

I mean, had they done layoffs yet? Fuck, if they were having problems, kill one or two studios off at a time. Making a decision like this is clear that they really kept doubling down when they should have cut their losses. It's way too late now.

No one cares about their engine. They didn't develop worthwhile IPs. Their only asset are the talented employees they just laid off.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Whoa. They had way too many studios relative to their output. At this point they should stick to 1 or 2 IPs and live off engine royalties and military contracts. I know of a couple of Australian contracts they have.

Hopefully the talent is scooped up asap.

Also, sell the god damn Ryse IP to Microsoft for fuck's sake.

napata

The first Crysis is amazing. With a little imagination you can create amazing combat scenario's by taking advantage of the open world and powers. I guess you could play with almost no powers and just run, shoot, run, shoot and it would indeed be boring like this. I guess uncreative people will not like the game that much.

The first 3 hours of Crysis are amazing. It drops off a cliff after that but that first act is some of the best FPS action you would find that decade

And Far Cry 1 was pretty mind blowing at the time too. Remember that was released months before the heavy hitters of the era Doom 3 and Half Life 2 and it managed to leave a mark.

But since then the studio hasnt really done much of worth. They completely missed why people liked Far Cry and Crysis with the Crysis sequels and Ryse was Ryse.

im_dany

Apparently the rumors are true and Crytek has sold the distribution rights of the game to My.com

Warface coming to PS4/Xbox One in North America and Europe in a reasonable future?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-crytek-announces-new-warface-publishing-deal

I just hope whatever money Crytek has received out of this deal is well managed this time.

I still remember when they released it on 360 as f2p... then killed it before less than a year. The game was pretty bad, but even then, that was a terrible decision IMHO.

I still remember when they released it on 360 as f2p... then killed it before less than a year. The game was pretty bad, but even then, that was a terrible decision IMHO.
I remember when It was launched on 360. The logging connection issues and freezes and bugs... man, it makes Halo MCC and BF4 launches look like the smoothest releases of all time in comparison. Still, after a while the game was enjoyable to play the PvE mode with friends. Me and some friends played a lot out of it (even I got the 400G)

Would they sell the Ryse IP to MS?

I think tht MS (and probably others) are just waiting for the inevitable (?) to get their IPs on sale...

Top Bottom