• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 8 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

yacobod

Banned
I've been sort of disappointed with the first 2 episodes of this season. Larry seems to be revisiting old ground and most of the jokes have been reused or done better in previous seasons/episodes. I can see where everything is going before it happens and it sort of hurts the payoff. Hopefully the episodes get better when he moves to NY.

Juanadams

Banned
Wait so when he was in the battered womens home and he was whispering "What happened to her?" "Inspirational speaker?"

Was that larry accidentally saying what he was thinking without realizing it, or was he just being a dick?

yacobod said:
I've been sort of disappointed with the first 2 episodes of this season. Larry seems to be revisiting old ground and most of the jokes have been reused or done better in previous seasons/episodes. I can see where everything is going before it happens and it sort of hurts the payoff. Hopefully the episodes get better when he moves to NY.
I think expectations have to change 8 seasons in. While I do agree with you, I kinda just roll with it. It's easy to be critical, but it still makes me laugh, so I'm good with that.

yacobod

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I think expectations have to change 8 seasons in. While I do agree with you, I kinda just roll with it. It's easy to be critical, but it still makes me laugh, so I'm good with that.

I agree it's still funny, but it doesn't have the same magic as earlier seasons. I just think it's getting a little stale for the first time.

CrankyJay

Banned
Funny how Larry was complaining so much about Leon but when he was presented with a golden opportunity to finally be rid of him he clammed up. LOL.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
criesofthepast said:
Gonna need a gif of that drive by. lol lol

Agreed

drivebyk7f9.gif

Funkhauser's face is priceless.

I do hope Jeff plays a bigger role in this season. I love the guy. Some of my favourite parts of the early seasons were Larry and Jeff chilling out in Jeff's office or having a meal to discuss work for Larry or Jeff's other clients...
drivebyk7f9.gif

lol

Alcoori

CrankyJay said:
Funny episode...but it annoys me to no end how Larry is put into these situations where he's made out to be the bad guy. Those two women couldn't move one fucking foot over, and we're supposed to believe that?

But that's the whole point of this show, at least IMO. Everyone's feeling entitled and acts like morons while thinking they have a right to do so. Larry doesn't know how to act except awkwardly and the whole thing just blows up out of proportion when it could have been resolved in 10 secs.

That's why I love the show, it makes me cringe (in a good way) and laugh.

I mean, last week with the tampon, he could have just called the parents so that the kid would have been picked up.

MMaRsu

Banned
Alcoori said:
But that's the whole point of this show, at least IMO. Everyone's feeling entitled and acts like morons while thinking they have a right to do so. Larry doesn't know how to act except awkwardly and the whole thing just blows up out of proportion when it could have been resolved in 10 secs.

That's why I love the show, it makes me cringe (in a good way) and laugh.

I mean, last week with the tampon, he could have just called the parents so that the kid would have been picked up.

I get what he's saying though, it annoys me to that larry is made out to be the bad guy in some of these situations. I mean Larry giving the little girl instructions because she got her period in his house for the first time ever is a bad thing? He should have sent her home packing? I don't think so.

I know it's part of the show but sometimes it's just so farfetched to believe people can be so stupid :p. Just like the 2 women who wouldn't move 2 feet and then said Larry was the instigator or whatever .

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
CrankyJay said:
Funny how Larry was complaining so much about Leon but when he was presented with a golden opportunity to finally be rid of him he clammed up. LOL.

I'm pretty sure he didn't realize he could've done that. He was simply too embarrassed to tell the truth.

master15

Much better episode than the season opening, with some great moments.

I think the biggest difference or change I've noticed from earlier seasons, is how quickly they go for the butt of the joke, and there's isn't as much build up (Which sort of destroys the realistic nature of earlier episodes, especially Season 1).

An episode like "interior decorator" I think would be done very differently now.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I thought the first episode was average, but I loved the second one. Quite a few big laughs.

"WASHING MACHINE'S FUCKED"

MMaRsu said:
I get what he's saying though, it annoys me to that larry is made out to be the bad guy in some of these situations. I mean Larry giving the little girl instructions because she got her period in his house for the first time ever is a bad thing? He should have sent her home packing? I don't think so.

I know it's part of the show but sometimes it's just so farfetched to believe people can be so stupid :p. Just like the 2 women who wouldn't move 2 feet and then said Larry was the instigator or whatever .
That's kind of the point of the show though. It was major focus of Seinfield to, social conventions making things more difficult than they have to be. There's tons of conversations where Jerry explains an awkward social interaction that end with something like:

Kramer: Why didn't you do this thing that obviously and easily resolves the situation?

Jerry: I'm sure you would do just that, but I'm talking about people here.

I don't even think the situations are that far-fetched in a majority of cases. I know parents who would be mad if some guy tried to teach their daughter how to use a tampon, regardless of his intentions.

I'm really happy with the first two episodes. To me, the last scene of the last episode of last season was just a perfect place to end the show. Especially with all the joking about the Seinfield ending, I was really impressed how perfectly Larry managed to end this one. I was worried and disappointed when I heard that there was going to be an eighth season since it seemed really unnecessary.

The show continues to be hilarious though. Sure, it's getting really formulaic at this point, but it's still interesting to see how the three or four plot threads of an episode weave together, and the writing is still really great. Larry's description of how he was bruised last episode was great.

CiSTM

Banned
Wingfan19 said:
Can anyone tell me why Larry still has the house in episode 2 when they were clearly moving out in episode 1?
It was a new house at least it looked like a new house to me.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wingfan19 said:
Can anyone tell me why Larry still has the house in episode 2 when they were clearly moving out in episode 1?

It was a totally different house. That was pretty clear...they even made it more clear when the neighbors welcomed him to the area. LOL

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
AlphaSnake said:
It was a totally different house. That was pretty clear...they even made it more clear when the neighbors welcomed him to the area. LOL
Oh wow, duh. I just thought they moved in next to him. I feel dumb.

newjeruse

In addition to Larry's brilliant ability to handle these issues without any delicacy, the dialog in tonight's episode was some of the best from Curb in a while.

Takuan

Full Metal Jacket said:
What's that name of that Arab women?
Anne Bedian. She caught my eye immediately as well. What a gorgeous woman.

This is definitely one of the best Curb episodes ever. I'll bet it angered the right-wingers on both sides, though. Pretty ballsy of Larry, I gotta say. Prettaayyyy, prettayyyy, prettaaaayyyyy... prettay ballsy.

LOL @ Sammie getting up and leaving from the table.. Upon 2nd viewing it wasn't because of Larry's dirty joke, but because her mom made that ahhhhhh sound after drinking.

CrankyJay

Banned
polyh3dron said:
LOL @ Sammie getting up and leaving from the table.. Upon 2nd viewing it wasn't because of Larry's dirty joke, but because her mom made that ahhhhhh sound after drinking.

It was apparent to me on the first viewing.

Even though there were Seinfeld joke rehashes (the sipping and AHHHH, and being obsessed with chicken. See: Kenny Roger's Roasters), the episode was fantastic.

And I hate to say it, but it was nice to have Leon sit one out for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom