• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Hmm... random musing.

I know FIFA hangs around the PAL charts for ages after release, but how front-loaded is FIFA in terms of early blockbuster type sales?

If as rumors suggest the PS4 is to launch in October and presumably before the XB1... do people who want a "next gen" FIFA wait for the XB1 to get it free, or do they buy a PS4 and FIFA and still end up spending less?

KAL2006

Banned
I just remembered something. Release date, if PS4 can launch before Xbox One, then people can buy FIFA on PS4 before its available on Xbox One.

This would only be a megaton if FIFA was not also being released on 360 and PS3 at the same time.

98% of people will still buy it on one of those consoles.

Xater

This is sort of wasteful by MS. Pay for FIFA for literally every console purchase? God they are so insane.

Start of the generation. MS apparently loves throwing money around at that time. But it would have been way easier to just offer a SKU without Kinect. They are banking really hard on that thing.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Actually i'll take a slight step back... fifa releases in september? Most will probably buy current gen by then, and even still if they wanna take the next gen leap PS4 fifa comes out weeks before xbox's.

Come on people, fifa is not going exclusive to xbone. :lol

Bundled in, with the few European countries they can be bothered to release it in though? Sure

This is sort of wasteful by MS. Pay for FIFA for literally every console purchase? God they are so insane.

Well it's not confirmed yet and I think most sober analysts would be pretty surprised if it actually is Fifa.

But if it is, then I'd argue it's a perfectly decent use of cash. Don't forget how much they forked over for the red ring issue. This is peanuts for them in comparison while ensuring a solid Holiday launch for them in Europe.

Microsoft are really working over time to get people back on their side. It's certainly working on me, I've went from totally being against the system and actively discouraging people to purchase it to now being open to the idea of getting one myself. Keep up the good work.

Whereas Sony's momentum has faded, and judging by recent rumors it seems to be a conscious decision that they can afford to slow down their train. It's still the platform of choice for me going into next gen by I'd love to be energized by them more at Gamescon.

Totally agree with you.

Tired of people whining and shitting on MS no matter what they do to make gamers happy.

What's the best move Sony has done so far? Charge to play online? It used to be free remember?

Skeff

Savvy move by Microsoft...although it appears to still be £25 cheaper to pick up a PS4 and FIFA 14...

PS4 is 349, xbox1 is 429, fifa will sell at around £38.

PS4+Fifa = £387
XB1+Fifa = £429

so about £42 cheaper, if your interested in fifa, or still £80 cheaper if your not.

EDIT: to be honest i would not be surprised if it turns out this is the free game for T2 countries.

Hmm... random musing.

I know FIFA hangs around the PAL charts for ages after release, but how front-loaded is FIFA?

If as rumors suggest the PS4 is to launch in October and presumably before the XB1... do people who want a "next gen" FIFA wait for the XB1 to get it free, or do they buy a PS4 and FIFA and still end up spending less?

If it really is October, COD and BF4 won't be out at that date, making FIFA a huge target

Seems like great marketing and incentive to me, how would free FIFA in FIFA's biggest demographic attached to your console be a waste? It could help swing many decisions on console purchases.

While I agree with what you are saying, however, Microsoft is claiming they are sold out of preorders. Which if true makes this deal a complete waste, especially in the light of removing 8 countries from launch. So what they are just going to pay for an exclusive bundle to give away to all those people that preordered already? If not and this is an additional bundle that they are able to produce for walk in buyers, then the people that preordered should be pissed that now people that walk in can get a better deal than they did. Or are they going to put this up for preorder, then we are back to the original problem of all those that preordered the original will just switch their preorder and say thanks for the free game for the system I was already going to buy.

Something doesn't add up. Either Microsoft is lying and the situation in Europe is absolutely dire and they aren't sure they can even sell through their initial stock or this is a complete waste of money.

jaypah

Oh god. The tears would be apocalyptic. MS would be crazy to moneyhat the Next-Gen version of Fifa. Sure EA still have teh PS3 and 360 version to sell but would MS really burn that kind of cash to one-up Sony? Maybe...

MS is crazy but I honestly can't see them being THAT crazy. I mean, sure I can see it but that would be a new level of crazy for a company that already seems bat-shit insane.

Won't FIFA be pretty cheap by the time the Xbone comes out in the tier 2 EU countries anyway? Or do sports games not plummet in price after 3-4 months like they do in the US?

It will definitely be pretty cheap by the time Xbox One is released in tier 3 Europe. That is probably going to be right around the time Fifa 15 is coming out. lol

keit4

Banned
Why the hell is the people saying that this is wasting the money? If this is true, the Xbox One will be the best selling console in the UK this fall by far.

Jeels

Just out of curiosity, if Sony was bundling FIFA or any other 3rd party title for free, would you consider it moneyhatting or adding value to the system? There seems to be a trend that when Microsoft spends money, they are a terrible company for trying to improve the value of their product, so I want to know if the same logic applies to Sony.

That's a valid question, and I do think I would be uncomfortable with the entire thing, but you are right in that it might be less so. It's a bias that seems engrained though, there's just this bad vibe in general and I do not know if it's entirely fair.

Regardless, it is the way I feel. I don't think stuff like this is good for the industry. It is only short term gain for the publisher.

It reminds me a bit about how Japanese game development pretty much died off last generation because of all the 360 money hats bombing early on. It took series' like Tales nearly half a generation to recover.

Not the same situation, but things like that are why this stuff just makes me uncomfortable about the direction of the industry (and like I said, I expect an Amazon, Google, or Apple to do stuff like this if they were ever to enter the space).

MS are certainly making it closer for a lot of ppl

PS4 = £349
FIFA 14= £40
PS eye = £60

total = £449

X1 + KINECT + FIFA 14 = £429

It actually makes the x1 better value for ppl wanting camera controllers and fifa 14.

This must be the next generation's version of:

XBOX 360 + 10 YEARS OF XBOX LIVE + RECHARGEABLE CONTROLLER + HDDVD/BLURAY PLAYER COSTS MORE THAN PS3 BRAH

Kuro

Hmm... random musing.

I know FIFA hangs around the PAL charts for ages after release, but how front-loaded is FIFA in terms of early blockbuster type sales?

This is really just a huge waste of money from Microsoft. They will probably end up selling out consoles to their die-hard fans already so why bother paying so much for this deal. Most Europeans are going to end up getting Fifa on PS4 if it launches weeks before and for a cheaper overall price.

Kosma

Banned
Fifa 2014 in 2014?

That's about 6 months too late Microsoft.

Also people play Fifa on the Playstation. Playstation is Fifa.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why the hell is the people saying that this is wasting the money? If this is true, the Xbox One will be the best selling console in the UK this fall by far.
Why? It will STILL be more expensive. Utterances.

Anth1888

This would only be a megaton if FIFA was not also being released on 360 and PS3 at the same time.

98% of people will still buy it on one of those consoles.

Agree to a certain point. FIFA will be out at the end of September and sell through the roof in the first couple of weeks on current hardware, but how big a percentage will double dip come next-gen console's launch? EA will push next-gen features and engine.

Oh god. The tears would be apocalyptic. MS would be crazy to moneyhat the Next-Gen version of Fifa. Sure EA still have teh PS3 and 360 version to sell but would MS really burn that kind of cash to one-up Sony? Maybe...

FIFA exclusive to X1 would be a breach of contract with FIFA themselves. will never happen.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
At long last MS is trying to man up and fight back !

I hope it's such a good deal that forces Sony to throw in a couple of PS+ months. You know why ? Cause that's the point of a competitive market. The total incompetence of MS was the reason Sony adopted the ridiculously anti consumer practice of charging twice for a multiplayer game in the first place.

Kinect is included in the bundle so it is an added value. Maybe for you it means nothing, but for the casual audience (the majority of people playing FIFA) can be an important selling point.
LOL

The overlap of FIFA and camera wanting casuals is limited at best. It was explained better as hardcore, softcore and casual gamers. FIFA and COD gamers fit in the second category, Kinect/move/wiimote gamers are in the last. The overlap will not be very large.

Moobabe

Are you from the UK? We're a hugely price sensitive market - and YOU CAN STILL BUY FIFA ON PS4.

Paches

Anyone else think it is kind of weird CBOAT wouldn't have known about this if he knows about seemingly everything else if it was FIFA? Just seems odd...

Totally agree with you.

Tired of people whining and shitting on MS no matter what they do to make gamers happy.

What's the best move Sony has done so far? Charge to play online? It used to be free remember?

Well, for one, Sony is not shoehorning in a gigantic camera into the box and forcing it upon the consumer because they have so much invested in it. And they're offering better value considering the power of their console. And they're not putting major features behind a fucking paywall. But continue fighting the good fight.

Top Bottom