• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Krakn3Dfx

That PS+ version of Driveclub is not going to be the full game. It'll be a glorified demo.

Evolution has said it's the full game minus some tracks and cars, and that you will be able to upgrade to the full game at a discounted price. I guess we'll know more when they announce more.

Last I heard it would be free for PS+ but it would be a gimped version and even they full version was being delayed from launch day to 'launch window'.

Evolution confirmed on Twitter that it is still a launch title.

RRP means NOTHING in the EU, that's decreed by law years ago.
Fifa will be £45 in GAME, £35-£40 online, and £25 on launch day in the supermarkets, as usual.
RRPs are allowed, but there are many restrictions on what you can do with them.

Here is some further reading for you on how far you can take RRPs. http://www.pinsentmasons.com/PDF/recommending_retail_prices_how_far_can_you_go.pdf

What isn't allowed is colluding and price fixing or manipulations of markets/suppliers/retailers - this is what Nintendo fell foul of a few years back, there used to be a UK law prohibiting them on certain types of product but that was abolished last year.

Additionally, if you think FIFA 14 PS4/Xbox One will be £25 in the supermarkets you are off your rocker!

Even the current gen version won't be that price. £35 was the cheapest last year (Sainsbury's) and the cheapest combo-deal was Tesco at £30 when you buy a £25 PSN card or 2100 XBL points.

Relevant part of the article:
The PS Plus edition of Driveclub will include online multiplayer, the singleplayer campaign and asynchronous challenges, and Plus players will be able to purchase any missing content. After trying out the Plus version, players can "pay a sum of money" to convert it to the full retail version, Evolution said.

Sounds a bit like the old fashioned shareware games.

Facism

FIFA is huge in Europe, this is a very smart move.

Yes it is, but how much of difference does a free copy of fifa 14 make to launch of a console that will most likely sell out without it?

Unless i'm reading things wrong and FIFA 14 comes free with consoles AFTER the launch SKUs as well?

So this mean FIFA will be postponed till Xbox release ?

If not it will be pointless as people will already buy it for their past gen and PS4.

If that is true this is a megaton.

However, if it isn't, which is most likely, this seems like a huge waste of whatever astronomical sum MS has paid EA.

I say this as I just looked at Fifa 14's Wiki page. It lists that the game will be released on PS3, PS2, 360, PC, 3DS, Vita on September 26. Which could be almost two months before the XB1 version.

DieH@rd

Banned
The Xbox One packed with FIFA 14 in European territories, at no extra cost?

tumblr_lsip19jT6l1qz4ak4o1_500.png

Only in few officially supported European territories, and we dont know how long will this offer stand. Maybe it will be only for "day one" consoles.

I'm sure they do but that doesn't mean they only drink Coke, Fly Emirates, use Tmobile, etc.

Are you implying that marketing the playstation in the CL final has little meaning?

Playstation is the de facto football console in Europe. Hyping the next playstation on one of footballs biggest stages, means a bit more than you might think.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't think could stand in the way of retailer bundles.
Then it's really a rather odd arrangement.

Perhaps it will work out well for Microsoft in Europe, but looking at it now it just doesn't seem like money well spent on their part.

Signs are pointing to them launching later, and FIFA already launches before both next gen systems anyway. They aren't launching in Scandinavia.
They have limited supply anyway.
They still end up more expensive, and retailers can still create FIFA PS4 bundles that are cheaper than the XB1 anyway.
They're already paying some sum for extra content in that Ultimate Team mode to try and incentivize FIFA purchases on XB1?

EA is presumably laughing all the way to the bank.

LuuKyK

Not sure how FIFA can be snagged as an exclusive. Just seems like too big a title. I would love a free pack in title though.

Gamescom=E3 Part 2 confirmed!

Its not exclusive. Its just going to be in a bundle with One. Thats all, it will be on all other platforms, including the PS4. MS is just trying to add value so that the overpriced console doesnt seem like that much more expensive than what Sony is offering.

For me, honestly, as someone who barely plays sports games, this is pretty bad. I reckon its going to be pretty effective on Europe though, seeing as how big FIFA is there. Not sure if it will be enough to be seem as an advantage over the PS4 though.

urge26

Evolution has said it's the full game minus some tracks and cars, and that you will be able to upgrade to the full game at a discounted price. I guess we'll know more when they announce more.

Evolution confirmed on Twitter that it is still a launch title.

Then this makes Driveclub a "value" game from the beginning..... sorry, don't buy it. Almost sounds like Evolution is trying to make their game free to play. So either glorified demo, or free to play.

The PS Plus edition of Driveclub will include online multiplayer, the singleplayer campaign and asynchronous challenges, and Plus players will be able to purchase any missing content. After trying out the Plus version, players can "pay a sum of money" to convert it to the full retail version, Evolution said.

Sounds a bit like the old fashioned shareware games.

Don't fight it, Drive Club is a killer app.

Gotta love competition. I'm always happy to see the big three throwing us freebies. More shit that would never happen in the "single console future".

LAA

Have you considered applying some basic math to that decision? :p You were already going to get Madden 25 I assume. If you get it on PS4 even if MS bundled it you would save $40 and still end up with more powerful hardware and the better version of the game. The choice still seems pretty clear.

Or they could just buy it on PS4 and still save money. The game isn't exclusive to Xbox One. It's a nice incentive but I don't really think it's enough. If the systems had the same price then I could see it being really impactful.

True, good point, but if the prices stay as they are for next gen games atm... (I certainly hope not!. but in Fifa's case its probably more likely to stay at that price), it'll be £400 for PS4 + Fifa, £429 for X1 and Fifa.
PS4 still has the edge, yeah, but for the people who still prefer to have an Xbox, this may just push them to the X1.

Not really bothered what happens, good/bad either way really. We'll either have the Fifa boys all playing the same game everyday on X1, out of the way of PS4, or we'll have a bigger user base on PS4. (I sound harsh, ha ha, but that's genuinely how it is for a lot of people)

Wynnebeck

Banned
Driveclub is the free packin game that Sony is offering with the PS4.

You mean the free game PS+ owners get? Not seeing how that is relevant or even comparable but tell us how you really feel.

As for FIFA, I see the significance but I think UK consumers are still going to look at the initial price and balk.

sunnz

I can see why this is a great thing for people who already will get an XBONE but for those who are in the middle and only want fifa 14 or haven't chosen what console to get, it still doesn't make sense.

For £430 you can get an xbone and fifa 14 ( that is not adding the extra £40 for XBG) or you can get a ps4, fifa 14 and PS plus for the same price ( that includes 1 year of online play).

So adding in that online play, it costs more to go the xbox route.

I just don't see how it can persuade people who haven't haven't ordered it yet ( financially, i mean).

Unless you were like 70% likely to get an xbone over a ps4 anyway, then I can see how it can get new buyers.

Knowing EA, I won't be surprised it is like only the SP of Fifa 14, having the MP or just ultimate team behind the " pay to unlock" wall. I doubt it though but you never know ( basically like Drive club for PS + on the ps4)
( watch it be that Ubisoft fighting game lol)

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
PS4+FIFA 14 still comes out cheaper than buying the X1. I really don't see how this changed anything in Europe. On top of that, the majority of countries in Europe aren't even getting an X1 this year.

Are you implying that marketing the playstation in the CL final has little meaning?

Playstation is the de facto football console in Europe. Hyping the next playstation on one of footballs biggest stages, means a bit more than you might think.

It does. But didn't xbox have an ad also? In the states I think Coors has exclusive ads during NFL and as someone that watches football it has zero effect on what beer I drink. I'm sure playstation will have a majority of FIFA fans in the EU but a sideline banner ad is not the reason why.

Only in few officially supported European territories, and we dont know how long will this offer stand. Maybe it will be only for "day one" consoles.

It doesn't specify which European countries, hell CVG even says it might be available in the US as well. Let's wait and see first.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But they won't now will they.

Any XBO stock that would have gone to the other Euro countries at launch will now be channelled to the launch country locations. MS should have more then enough.

If anything. It's Sony that may be spreading themselves too thin.

Yeah this. Channeling a few thousand units from Sweden to the UK will definitely outsell the PS4...

Sigh.

def' benefits MS in the UK the most, rest of Europe not so much, but still pretty good deal for those who were picking up a X1 first and wanted to buy Fifa.

Into

Only in Europe? WTF!?!?!

What? Lets just screw over NA from this deal.

Pre orders are likely low enough in Europe, that they felt this was needed. Which is worrying since they seem to have problems with even supplying enough launch consoles, i base that off the fact that they introduced these "tier 2" European countries. I wonder how many millions of dollars they are paying EA to package the game in.

Everyone knows that Xbox One will likely do fine this year in NA, but Europe is going to be super difficult. They need any help they can get

Its not a bad move, but people in Europe can do basic math, they know the PS4+FIFA 14 is still cheaper than this deal.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If true I hope Sony can respond with a Ubisoft game such as Watch Dogs.

Sony's deal is console + a game of your choosing for e460 :p You can keep the difference vs this in your back pocket.

They don't need to respond. This is Microsoft's 'response' to Sony's value offering and market reaction to date to each of the offerings.

If it's FIFA, that must have been expensive for them.

And still probably not worth it. €459 for PS4 and FIFA or $499 for XBO and FIFA? Might work in the USA (with Madden instead of FIFA) where the Xbox brand is stronger, but probably won't mean much in Europe.

Withnail

"Added value" sounds nice and all but it didn't work for the PS3 and I can't see it doing much for XB1 either. Especially when PS4+FIFA is still cheaper.

Also kind of a strange thing to do at this stage unless they're concerned about not selling through the launch shipment.

Pre orders are likely low enough in Europe, that they felt this was needed. Which is worrying since they seem to have problems with even supplying enough launch consoles, i base that off the fact that they introduced these "tier 2" European countries. I wonder how many millions of dollars they are paying EA to package the game in.

Everyone knows that Xbox One will likely do fine this year in NA, but Europe is going to be super difficult. They need any help they can get

Its not a bad move, but people in Europe can do basic math, they know the PS4+FIFA 14 is still cheaper than this deal.

I still think it is straight up BS!

Its even more incentive for me to skip the Xbox 1. If they aren't going to be fair to consumers around the world (especially their home audience)., why buy one?

Garjon

On paper, this doesn't actually mean a lot in the console war for reasons others have stated (XB1 still more expensive, PS4 releases first supposedly etc) but it all depends on how MS goes about advertising this. They've already managed to hoodwink a few into thinking it'll only be out on XB1 so if they keep dropping the word 'exclusive' into all of their advertising, eventually it could sink in to consumer's brains.

Still, the deal has to be worth a hell of a lot, surely for the cost they could just lower the price of the console.

I can only surmise that they're doing this because, even with limited supply redirected towards fewer territories, Microsoft are not seeing sufficient pre-orders to suggest they will sell-out that supply right now.

how much of the pre-edit post did you see? ;)

That ~8:1 figure for continental Europe is making more and more sense right now.

gaming_noob

DriveClub is free because Sony knows it's a sales bomb.
Racing games outside of GT, NFS and to a lesser extent Forza, don't sell.

Microsoft include a free game with the Xbox one.

Neogaf: money hats! Lol desperate MS!

Europe: great a free game!

Have I summarised the last 18 pages succinctly?

Top Bottom