• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

gruenel

I'm wondering, wouldn't they be better off just lowering the price by whatever this deal costs them instead of bundling a game?

The FIFA contract actually says that the game should come out on viable platforms, it gives EA some leeway at the start if the gen when neither the PS4 or XB1 have sold any units, and neither could be argued are yet viable.

There won't be many of either console sold this holiday (relative to 360/PS3 install base) so why not take any guaranteed money, perhaps Fifa will have some of the cash too.

Still think its Titanfall though
Titanfall is a 2014 title.

So are honour and shame a huge part of European culture? We might have to remind EA of this if they go ahead with this deal.

Anyway, a competitive MS is good for gamers so it should be welcomed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Let's say that it is FIFA....

-PS4 + FIFA is still cheaper.
-X1 pre-orders are already maxed out, so this won't increase any sales during launch?
-PS4 will almost certainly be launching earlier and in more European countries than the X1 anyway. Are people in Sweden really going to wait for months after FIFA is released and available on PS4 just so they can get it packed in with an X1 in ~March 2014?

It would be a cool gesture from MS, it's good whatever the game is, but I don't see it being much of a gamechanger really.
I'm inclined to agree. It'll make the Xbox One a lot more appealing in and of itself, but I'm not sure it will win people away from the PS4, per se.

Well it stinks anyway. Xbox always had a bit of a high EA share with Mattrick going to MS and now Peter Moore as head of EA Sports.

And instead of funding studios or new IP's the only thing MS does is closing studios, paying 400 million dollar for an exclusive NFL deal and throwing millions of dollars for timed exclusive GTAIV content and now Fifa maybe.

They could have funded new projects themselves with that crazy-ass money.

EDIT: I would really like to see a PS4 PES relationship blossomming from this

They're not interested in first party developed titles. Even when they try to develop in house titles they end up converting the studio into a Kinect mill or in Big Park's case they end up canceling projects altogether.

Many more people might buy into Kinect for 30E than 70E.
I think that is the point of it.

Not really. The point is to attach the Fifa brand with the Xbox brand in the same box. They will even manage to squeeze in the word "exclusive" because of exclusive dlc.

Perception is pretty important, and lower denominator might conclude that Fifa is better on Xbox One because of it. IF it's not Fifa then of course it's as you say.

Bsigg12

Let's say that it is FIFA....

-PS4 + FIFA is still cheaper.
-X1 pre-orders are already maxed out, so this won't increase any sales during launch?
-PS4 will almost certainly be launching earlier and in more European countries than the X1 anyway. Are people in Sweden really going to wait for months after FIFA is released and available on PS4 just so they can get it packed in with an X1 in ~March 2014?

It would be a cool gesture from MS, it's good whatever the game is, but I don't see it being much of a gamechanger really.

Just because launch day pre-orders are maxed out doesn't mean there's an entire month or 2 left in the year to grab sales. As well as depending on how long this would be for, this could be a selling point next Spring.

dengatron

Why exactly would the European countries that didn't get delays get a free game? Wouldn't this only be for countries with pushbacks? If so, absolutely fucking pointless. Who's waiting until next spring for something still more expensive?

Kosma

Banned
It'll change something, which is better than nothing.

ps4ads1.jpg

This feels like classic MS of feeling like they've made a huge move without considering what they're getting into.

"Euro preorders are down, what's the biggest game over there?"
"Well sir it's FIFA, but..."
"Quick, pack in FIFA with all our consoles for free. THAT'S HOW THE WARS ARE WON FOLKS. BOOM."

Not everyone has the privilege of buying games on day one, or month one, or year one. I reckon a LOT of children/teenagers/maybe adults will wait and get FIFA 14 for their holiday gift, around the same time that same audience will be looking at buying a new system (if they're interested in getting a new console).

It makes sense to me, honestly. Little Timmy goes to the store to pick his new next gen system with his family this Christmas, he sees the PS4 for £349, he also wants to buy FIFA 14, he sees FIFA for £40, he then sees the Xbox One with FIFA for free for £429. Yes, the system is more expensive, but he may decide that the extra £40 is worth the Kinect. Either way, it helps add value to the Xbox One in Europe this holiday season.

Good news for MS if true, I wonder how much they paid for this. At least they are not giving up without a fight.

That said, I would rather get the (most likely) superior PS4 version.

Didn't MS have an exclusive FIFA last gen? Road to World Cup wasn't it?

How did that pan out?

That was back in 06 when Winning Eleven was still king. Road to the World Cup is also small enough feature wise to be called a spin-off compared to the mainline FIFA games.

Not saying FIFA14 would be the be all, end-all for MS but this would be a much bigger deal than exclusive RTWC.

Sony releases PS4 + FIFA bundle, 439.99.

MEGA-MO-TON

EA wouldn't sell out MS and break the UNPRECEDENTED PARTNERSHIP like that would they?

Yes, yes they would

Annualized sports game that is to release two months before the release of Xbox One; which any enormous fan will have bought already, is going to change anyone's mind over which system to buy?

Surprising to me.

So... getting the game that they already own (and immensly enjoy) on a previous console for free on a new console is not appealing?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It makes sense to me, honestly. Little Timmy goes to the store to pick his new next gen system with his family this Christmas, he sees the PS4 for £349, he also wants to buy FIFA 14, he sees FIFA for £40, he then sees the Xbox One with FIFA for free for £429. Yes, the system is more expensive, but he may decide that the extra £40 is worth the Kinect. Either way, it helps add value to the Xbox One in Europe this holiday season.

And dad will say "No way, you already have X360/PS3, this new sh+t is too expensive and mom is without job" and buy current gen copy of the game :p

ramb0211

Banned
If it is FIFA then Microsoft gets to market the Xbox One as the FIFA console this Christmas. I don't know exactly how much weight that would bring to bear, but it has to be quite a bit with parents and kids in Europe.

It makes me wonder though, if they could afford to splash out so much money on a free third party game, why didn't they just lower the cost of the console?

Doing that would benefit everyone.

Tiglet

Banned
Okay, but plenty of other people don't buy the game day one.

True, but the people that are actually interested in FiFa will have bought it in the first 3 months for sure. People that get this 'deal' will be people who were going to buy the xbox one anyway.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
FIFA is huge in Europe, this is a very smart move.

Never thought about it this way. Damn throw that cash.

MS right Now
29bo8wm.gif

if they don't use their cash now then what the point of having it? they are reacting and doing something of the negative feedback they got and try to give their system another chance in people mind, this is way better than motionless Sony in 2006. so that's that.

Top Bottom