• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 2.0: Phantom Liberty | PC/Console Performance|Screenshots

GymWolf

3.5's main benefit isn't performance, it's a new AI denoiser that replaces the old ReSTIR method when playing with Overdrive Raytracing.

My quick impression is that it makes a big difference; it's game-changing actually. Path-traced Cyberpunk always looked great, but there was a lot of noise and instability in dark shadowed areas, as well as a lag with dynamic lighting, and other areas where the image would looks a little mushy. DLSS3.5 changes all that, everything works perfectly. It's frankly the most graphically impressive game I have ever seen.

Peformance is fantastic on my 4070Ti thanks to frame generation, everything runs silky smooth.
Yeah i saw some comparisons and the difference looks quite big.

They picked the worst profile for DLSS 3,5 fyi. Theres a ton of ghosting. Gonna see if I can change the presets.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I really hope people understand how impossible a game like this should be with path tracing at this kind of quality. This really feels trulyt next gen. PC has a new Crysis finally.

Game looks fantastic. DLSS RT makes a big difference as well.

GymWolf

I really hope people understand how impossible a game like this should be with path tracing at this kind of quality. This really feels trulyt next gen. PC has a new Crysis finally.
Maybe It is possible because this is not real path tracing (or not the best quality or whatever) where every single light source produce realistic results.

A lot of small objects produce zero light even if they effectively produce some light, just go close to a dark wall with your shiny orange wirecable equipped and see how it goes.

I saw npcs wearing glowing objects that produced zero lights whatsoever close to walls, and that's is what i noticed in a rushed 30 min try where i was inside menus half the time.

This is why it can run at playable framerates (on 2000+++ dollars pc).

Calculating every single small source of light must be impossible on anything except renderfarms for movie cg.

No RT looks better to me. better reflections, better light bounce. Maybe this comparison is incorrectly tagged and RT is on in the pic on the left?

No, forget about the lighting, I mean the textures of the car. Doesnt look like solid metal, but looks like a painting, something you usually see in AI made/enhanced pictures.

Also, left is no RT/PT. You can tell by the shadows and lack of no light bounce.

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

What's crazy is before the patch, I couldn't get more than 40 frames in path tracing. I'm getting 70 now, even in downtown. Driving feels different and it sounds like they replaced sound effects.

i dont know what are u talking about, Maxed out looks way better

Heres a different comparison, between PT NO RR and with RR. Forget about the lighting and shadows. Look at the car itself, its textures. Looks weird. How am I the only one noticing it? Right looks like the car is straight out of a painting.

Edit: looks like reflections are missing as well, but the positive of RR is extra 5 FPS and more light bounce.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Look on the right. The reflections are completely missing and the neon light is no longer illuminating that area with a blue tint like it does in non RT mode.
that's why you like Starfield, u dont understand shit about reflection, rough surfaces and materials, bounce lighting and GI or even graphic fidelity, so, go back into simping for mediocrity

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Heres a different comparison, between PT NO RR and with RR. Forget about the lighting and shadows. Look at the car itself, its textures. Looks weird. How am I the only one noticing it? Right looks like the car is straight out of a painting.

Edit: looks like reflections are missing as well, but the positive of RR is extra 5 FPS and more light bounce.

diferent material ll have different reflections, the floor as exemple is a rough material so it ll have more difuse reflection, the car looks a lot more realistic with PT than without, this image of yours the car isnt under direct light, so there is no need to be reflecting/shining that much, shadows inside the car are really much much better.

imo it looks way more realistic and pleasing to the eye, remember not everything in our world ll reflect things as a mirror.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Look on the right. The reflections are completely missing and the neon light is no longer illuminating that area with a blue tint like it does in non RT mode.
I was on a tablet and i got the label wrong, yeah no rtx looks more natural, maxed out look like it has a yellow piss filter.

And the matal on the car looks more like metal.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Maybe It is possible because this is not real path tracing (or not the best quality or whatever) where every single light source produce realistic results.

A lot of small objects produce zero light even if they effectively produce some light, just go close to a dark wall with your shiny orange wirecable equipped and see how it goes.

I saw npcs wearing glowing objects that produced zero lights whatsoever close to walls, and that's is what i noticed in a rushed 30 min try where i was inside menus half the time.

This is why it can run at playable framerates (on 2000+++ dollars pc).

Calculating every single small source of light must be impossible on anything except renderfarms for movie cg.
I don't things like the monowire casting light are a technical limitations, it's probably more to do with how the assets were built for a game that wouldn't support path tracing until years later. There is a performance hit for light sources but there are scenes in this game with dozens of visible lights in every direction so they aren't saving much by shaving one or two.

The main thing that makes this possible in realtime is that they are using a much sparser density of rays. And that would normally create a really noisy image with a lot of instability. So to make up for this they would look at a lot of ray data being pulled from past frames and several layers of denoising being run to clean this up, but it could wash out detail, left a temporal lag with dynamic lighting and it was still noisy in dark areas where light rays are especially sparse.

But the new AI denoiser does a much, much better job at this, which brings it closer to how we would expect. It's still not 100% of course but it's pretty amazing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
that's why you like Starfield, u dont understand shit about reflection, rough surfaces and materials, bounce lighting and GI or even graphic fidelity, so, go back into simping for mediocrity
lmao. See A alloush , I have truly broken this man.

Dude, the developers chose to prebake that neon light bounce for a reason. For whatever reason, PT is not showing it. The reflective surfaces were also on purpose with devs choosing that particular material to ensure it has screenspace reflections. The non RT mode is what the developer intended. The Path Tracing is removing all that artistic intention. Whether or not it looks more accurate is irrelevant when the other one simply looks better and what you would expect in a neon lit city.

K5LhWPr.jpg

Thats why i still think the screenshots are not tagged correctly. I would expect RT mode to look like that.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You can definitely see the new part of the town from badlands, just started new game as a Nomad and climbed the tower... nice.

Also, Nvidia are wizards, that ray technology is amazing. Clear image with path tracing, we live in the future.

Lokaum D+

Dude, the developers chose to prebake that neon light bounce for a reason. For whatever reason, PT is not showing it. The reflective surfaces were also on purpose with devs choosing that particular material to ensure it has screenspace reflections. The non RT mode is what the developer intended. The Path Tracing is removing all that artistic intention. Whether or not it looks more accurate is irrelevant when the other one simply looks better and what you would expect in a neon lit city.

K5LhWPr.jpg

Thats why i still think the screenshots are not tagged correctly. I would expect RT mode to look like that.
Exit Strategy Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

GymWolf

I don't things like the monowire casting light are a technical limitations, it's probably more to do with how the assets were built for a game that wouldn't support path tracing until years later. There is a performance hit for light sources but there are scenes in this game with dozens of visible lights in every direction so they aren't saving much by shaving one or two.

The main thing that makes this possible in realtime is that they are using a much sparser density of rays. And that would normally create a really noisy image with a lot of instability. So to make up for this they would look at a lot of ray data being pulled from past frames and several layers of denoising being run to clean this up, but it could wash out detail, left a temporal lag with dynamic lighting and it was still noisy in dark areas where light rays are especially sparse.

But the new AI denoiser does a much, much better job at this, which brings it closer to how we would expect. It's still not 100% of course but it's pretty amazing.
Putting aside what you say about the improved tech, I think they are saving way more than 1-2 lights sources per scene if none of the lights emitted by npcs are absent, at a certain point they had to made compromises to make this thing even run decently.

We are probably both right, the engine wasn't build for pathtraced and they didn't bothered to fix that to not make the game unplayable.

I mean, it is not absurd to think that rtx on a 3000 dollars pc is nowhere near the rtx utilized by pixar and star wars movies, right?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Are you people turning rebar on for this one or you have it turned on in the general settings?
If you go to the profile for this game in nvidia profile inspector and the rebar is already enabled then you dont need to do anything. If its not enabled then select the same settings you did for starfield and run a few tests to see if you notice some framerate improvements. if not, turn it off to be safe.

GymWolf

If you go to the profile for this game in nvidia profile inspector and the rebar is already enabled then you dont need to do anything. If its not enabled then select the same settings you did for starfield and run a few tests to see if you notice some framerate improvements. if not, turn it off to be safe.
Wait, so it can cause problems? i thought it was just free performances...

WoMnbuX.jpg

Heres a better picture on what Ray Reconstruction does to the picture. This is on ultra performance just to make a clearer point. clearly the AI wasnt trained enough. Think I might disable RR.

Last edited:

alloush

K5LhWPr.jpg

Imagine I say my honest opinion in this very thread about CP, I will probably receive death threats :messenger_tears_of_joy:

skneogaf

XUtMwna.jpg

When I first selected overdrive and ran the benchmark it said some things were still off but I restarted the game after I selected overdrive and it says yes in everything that needs to be yes.

I'm curious what a better cpu with ddr5 and a 4090 would give in comparison to my older 9700k and ddr4.

Anyone able to screen shot a benchmark if you have said components?

King Dazzar

More time with PS5 version. Performance is still an issue in some of the dense areas. VRR still needed. It is improved though over previous patch.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
New weapons are included in the base game. I'm not sure if this addition is from 2.0... but it's nice to see new gear.

Damn, this game plays so damn well and looks so freaking amazing. Stealth is actually useful. What a nice change coming from 3 weeks of Starfield.

GymWolf

New weapons are included in the base game. I'm not sure if this addition is from 2.0... but it's nice to see new gear.

Damn, this game plays so damn well and looks so freaking amazing. Stealth is actually useful. What a nice change coming from 3 weeks of Starfield.
I readed that you can't put suppressors on magnums anymore :messenger_expressionless:

Top Bottom