• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 HypeTrain | Just breathe (No leaks)

What platform are you going to play on?

• PC

Votes: 612 50.1%
  • PS4 Amateur

Votes: 84 6.9%
  • PS4 Pro

Votes: 139 11.4%
  • XBox 1

Votes: 12 1.0%
  • Xbox 1 X

Votes: 130 10.6%
  • Waiting for the next gen

Votes: 377 30.9%
  • Stadia

Votes: 13 1.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What a bizarre day it's been. This may be the first time I've ever seen a game get a 90+ on Metacritic, and so many people are disappointed, and so doom and gloom about the game. It's just very bizarre to witness. If I never saw the MC scores or any of the reviews, and I just looked at the general attitude and energy from people, I woulda though the game got something in the high 70s or low 80s.
I blame the marketing. The game was nothing but CG trailers for literally years. Expectations were not even really in line with reality. I think people were just starting to admit a few weeks ago that it's basically going to be Fallout / Deus Ex with cars, instead of some entirely new transcendent experience.

And the game is reported by a lot of outlets to have severe performance issues. And they banned all footage from reviewers except b-roll that the company provided themselves.

You can keep repeating the 90+ line, but it's not exactly a complete homerun. I'm sure the game will be worth the price of admission for the art design alone though, let along anything else it has to offer.

I’ve seen a few places claiming the next gen consoles will get the flat PS4 pro or x one x version without even a 60fps mode does anyone here know of any confirmation of this? I’m gonna be super annoyed if the game only runs at 30 on my Ps5.
From the leaked footage i have seen, the game was running at smooth 60fps both on XSX and PS5. Looked solid and far better than the leaked footage, running on base consoles. But can't tell if they actually added enhancements to the game running on next-gen consoles, besides better framerate.

Last edited:

Snaven Shake

Neo Member
[Slightly off-topic?]

Does anybody else have a permanently yellow Steam icon on their taskbar since downloading the game? It says there is a required update for the game queued, but the "download time" keeps changing, and nothing ever downloads.

Madflavor

I blame the marketing. The game was nothing but CG trailers for literally years. Expectations were not even really in line with reality. I think people were just starting to admit a few weeks ago that it's basically going to be Fallout / Deus Ex with cars, instead of some entirely new transcendent experience.

And the game is reported by a lot of outlets to have severe performance issues. And they banned all footage from reviewers except b-roll that the company provided themselves.

You can keep repeating the 90+ line, but it's not exactly a complete homerun. I'm sure the game will be worth the price of admission for the art design alone though, let along anything else it has to offer.

Well I'm not hiding behind the 90+ score, it's just weird seeing the reactions to it. Currently FFVII:R is my favorite game this year, and that's at an 87 last time I checked. But I feel like there's a lot of blame to go around regarding how overhyped the game was, on part of CDPR and Gamers themselves. I mean I would put most of the blame on CDPR on how they marketed the game, and imo they really need to re-strategize how they market their games in the future (ie keep their heads down and stfu till it's mostly ready), but even 8 years ago before we even knew what the game was really going to be, people were hyping the fuck outta it.

I stated before I feel like the game will have a pretty good power creep in terms of it's quality. It sounds like bugs aside, it's a great game as it is now. But I would imagine by this time next year, with most of the bugs ironed out, the next gen version, new features, improved performance, and possible DLC, it'll eventually be a substantially better experience.

Last edited:
5cde0457-f3ca-5fef-a202-07a1e90a8e64

5546291d-4dfa-5029-b0a5-71bf94663084

webp

webp

why would you post this without saying which is which lol

the lower pics artistically look better.

harmny

Banned
Well I'm not hiding behind the 90+ score, it's just weird seeing the reactions to it. Currently FFVII:R is my favorite game this year, and that's at an 87 last time I checked. But I feel like there's a lot of blame to go around regarding how overhyped the game was, on part of CDPR and Gamers themselves. I mean I would put most of the blame on CDPR on how they marketed the game, and imo they really need to re-strategize how they market their games in the future (ie keep their heads down and stfu till it's mostly ready), but even 8 years ago before we even knew what the game was really going to be, people were hyping the fuck outta it.

I stated before I feel like the game will have a pretty good power creep in terms of it's quality. It sounds like bugs aside, it's a great game as it is now. But I would imagine by this time next year, with most of the bugs ironed out, the next gen version, new features, improved performance, and possible DLC, it'll eventually be a substantially better experience.

you keep saying the marketing was bad but the marketing's goal is to sell the game. and trust me, the sales of this game are going to be insane so i'd say it was pretty good.
the game may be unplayable now but you are still loking at a 90+ game at the end of the day.
sure they made the mistake of being overconfident and horrible at finishing the game on time but the marketing has nothing to do with it.

Complistic

[Slightly off-topic?]

Does anybody else have a permanently yellow Steam icon on their taskbar since downloading the game? It says there is a required update for the game queued, but the "download time" keeps changing, and nothing ever downloads.

Pics?

Last edited:

Madflavor

you keep saying the marketing was bad but the marketing's goal is to sell the game. and trust me, the sales of this game are going to be insane so i'd say it was pretty good.
the game may be unplayable now but you are still loking at a 90+ game at the end of the day.
sure they made the mistake of being overconfident and horrible at finishing the game on time but the marketing has nothing to do with it.

It depends on how you look at it. Because of the way they marketed the game, it definitely is going to earn them better results financially sure, but at what cost? There are three issues at play here:

1. The game was overhyped to a level where there was no way it was going to reach.
2. The game clearly, CLEARLY, wasn't ready for release.
3. The illusion that CDPR are the good guys, that are pro gamers and all hip n' cool, has been broken.

So short term? Yeah they're going to do very well with this game financially. Long term? They've broken a lot of people's trust. I'd be shocked if their next game reaches the level of hype CP77 did, even if it's TW4. It doesn't matter how many good deeds you do, one bad thing can really hurt your reputation in our society. This is what I see happening in the coming days:

1. We find out base console versions are an even bigger mess, bugs and performance wise, which leads to not so great MC score compared to it's PC counterpart. Not to mention a lot of annoyed gamers.
2. It's going to be an absolute memefest on Youtube with all the clips of hilarious bugs. It might even reach Andromeda levels. This will do nothing but hurt the game's reputation.

To be clear, I bought the game. I want to play it, and I've been waiting and excited for the game for 8 years. I believe underneath it's flaws, it's a truly great game. But there's a lot of work to be done before it can really get there. This is most likely a case of developers having the best intentions, combined with management who's expectations were different, and not in line with reality. They knew this game wasn't ready, and they released it anyway in order to please inventors. It was typical Short Term Corporate Thinking, that plagues so many companies these days. Money now, deal with the fallout later.

harmny

Banned
It depends on how you look at it. Because of the way they marketed the game, it definitely is going to earn them better results financially sure, but at what cost? There are three issues at play here:

1. The game was overhyped to a level where there was no way it was going to reach.
2. The game clearly, CLEARLY, wasn't ready for release.
3. The illusion that CDPR are the good guys, that are pro gamers and all hip n' cool, has been broken.

So short term? Yeah they're going to do very well with this game financially. Long term? They've broken a lot of people's trust. I'd be shocked if their next game reaches the level of hype CP77 did, even if it's TW4. It doesn't matter how many good deeds you do, one bad thing can really hurt your reputation in our society. This is what I see happening in the coming days:

1. We find out base console versions are an even bigger mess, bugs and performance wise, which leads to not so great MC score compared to it's PC counterpart. Not to mention a lot of annoyed gamers.
2. It's going to be an absolute memefest on Youtube with all the clips of hilarious bugs. It might even reach Andromeda levels. This will do nothing but hurt the game's reputation.

To be clear, I bought the game. I want to play it, and I've been waiting and excited for the game for 8 years. I believe underneath it's flaws, it's a truly great game. But there's a lot of work to be done before it can really get there. This is most likely a case of developers having the best intentions, combined with management who's expectations were different, and not in line with reality. They knew this game wasn't ready, and they released it anyway in order to please inventors. It was typical Short Term Corporate Thinking, that plagues so many companies these days. Money now, deal with the fallout later.

yes but andromeda was hated because not only the game was super buggy but it was bad. and ugly too.
cyberpunk on the other hand will be more comparable to bethesda. they release broken games every single time and people still love them. sure it's a meme but they are still super excited for starfield and TESVI.

i agree with you that CDPR will change how they manage these things in the future. it was a mess. but i think cyberpunk's marketing was great. they just needed to finish the game on time

Last edited:

Madflavor

yes but andromeda was hated because not only the game was super buggy but it was bad. and ugly too.
cyberpunk on the other hand will be more comparable to bethesda. they release broken games every single time and people still love them. sure it's a meme but they are still super excited for starfield and TESVI.

i agree with you that CDPR will change how they manage these things in the future. it was a mess. but i think cyberpunk's marketing was great. they just needed to finish the game on time

I agree with you about Andromeda, I'm mostly just talking about the buggier side of that fiasco. Gamers can be absolutely savage in without mercy when it comes to this type of shit. I fully expect video after video after video, full-blown montages, of all kinds of hilarious and embarrassing bugs the game has to be released this week.

"Welp, I just found out that my boyfriend preordered Cyberpunk 2077, even though I'm pretty sure I've discussed CDPR's transphobia throughout several meals that we've had together.

Suffice it to say, I don't think we'll be doing anything sexual for a little while. But I'm considering what material actions I might get him to take; I've been looking on twitter for some trans folks' gofundmes he could donate to. God this whole week is going to be a fucking shitstorm."

-SoyPrincess (Era User)

Haha what a fucking lunatic!

Last edited:

Thaedolus

"Welp, I just found out that my boyfriend preordered Cyberpunk 2077, even though I'm pretty sure I've discussed CDPR's transphobia throughout several meals that we've had together.

Suffice it to say, I don't think we'll be doing anything sexual for a little while. But I'm considering what material actions I might get him to take; I've been looking on twitter for some trans folks' gofundmes he could donate to. God this whole week is going to be a fucking shitstorm."

-SoyPrincess (Era User)

Haha what a fucking lunatic!

I dunno about you but I get way more pleasure out of scoring forum points than coital relations with the co occupant of my bedroom.

Karunamon

It's been a while since I've ever felt this sorry for some person I've never seen or know the name of.

Serianox

Does the preload on Steam need more than the required 70 gigs to fully unpack? Deciding if i should preload or just wait for release so i can download the full thing as I'm really tight on ssd space.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So around the time when it lost few remaining RPG elements and became a looter-shooter? Seems about right and fully justified.

Shooting in Fallout: New Vegas is an abomination but it's an infinitely better game than Fallout 4, which had better shooting.

Never tried Vegas but always hear good things about it. Personal perspective as well, I'm sensitive to BS mechanics and clunky animations. The Witcher 3 was simply phenomenal and that overcome its mediocre gameplay, clunky animations, shit traversal, extremely buggy experience with amazing story telling (the story itself is shit though, but the execution makes it feel good), amazing side mission, wonderful world to explore, crazy good music or let's say legendary level, and insane amount of content during 2015 that got the trend of breaking down full games into several DLC's that combined don't even match TW3 single DLC length! Ton of value.

Usually the protagonist in 1st person view is always forgettable like Far Cry games, but above that a nobody generically generated protagonist and you fucked it up even more.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No the 2nd pics are RTX OFF.
And how in the fuck are the raytraced version any better? The neon lights lack corposity and they look very tame in the rtx pics...

Maybe they are not realistic but they look way more atmospheric.

If the performance gain was not enough, this is another reason to keep rtx off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom