• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Gamescom Demo Impressions + Footage

ZangBa

Dodging, movement and weapon attack speed are all more similar to Demon's Souls than either Dark game. Guy walks around in a full suit of armor like he's hopping around at super speed, that dodge roll speed and distance is just ridiculous. Unless iframes get nerfed a bit here this is going to be the easiest Souls game yet. Not particularly happy about the Demon's Souls-like mechanics, but whatever, it's still a Souls game so it will be better and more fun to play than most games.

cerulily

Looks black and inky. Maybe this is the abyss finally given its due respect as a plot element (unlike DaS2)

They probably have him over leveled for the area. Games journalists are historically beyond terrible at games, so From likes to give them a leg up for demos.

I cannot wait for "this game looks easier based on the press demo" speculation v 3.0, Basically EVERY souls-like has had this same "speculation"

USE YOUR GODDAMN SHIELD, IGN GUY

Dude blocked so much shit with his face...I think around 12:45 there could've been a shortcut in there but the arrows distracted him. I know near the end with the big castle holding the Dancer of the Frigid Valley, there was another path that surely could have opened up allowing you faster passage to the boss after you die.

Afrocious

They probably have him over leveled for the area. Games journalists are historically beyond terrible at games, so From likes to give them a leg up for demos.

Exactly. When I noticed the guy was using a Zwei I realized he was outfitted to have the easiest run through.

Also, anyone catch how that fat knight casted that light-version of Firestorm?

Dodging, movement and weapon attack speed are all more similar to Demon's Souls than either Dark game. Guy walks around in a full suit of armor like he's hopping around at super speed, that dodge roll speed and distance is just ridiculous. Unless iframes get nerfed a bit here this is going to be the easiest Souls game yet. Not particularly happy about the Demon's Souls-like mechanics, but whatever, it's still a Souls game so it will be better and more fun to play than most games.

The character theyre using is probably specced to keep everyone fast rolling. People always seem to forget these details when gameplay footage of a new souls game comes out. I wouldnt worry about the speed, its like one uptick from Dark Souls 1 nothing really huge at all.

If its anything like the other souls games, that character wont be able to roll like that unless you heavily invest in equip load points or put on a ring. Come on people acting as if the game is ridiculously faster or something when what we're seeing has been done before. Its not Ds2 slow and its not BB fast. Just right.

I cannot wait for "this game looks easier based on the press demo" speculation v 3.0, Basically EVERY souls-like has had this same "speculation"

Youve already been beaten.

tcrunch

Someone on Gamefaqs says they heard from someone else at Gamescom (yep) - weapon arts have a set number of uses (say 20, shown under the sun symbol on the HUD) and they refresh at bonfires. Also only buckler-sized shields can parry, larger shields have specific weapon arts instead. Waiting for confirmation from an impression or something, but the first part matches up with about 1:16 in the IGN 16 minutes where the player uses the longsword "lunge" weapon art and their counter goes down.

The character theyre using is probably specced to keep everyone fast rolling. People always seem to forget these details when gameplay footage of a new souls game comes out. I wouldnt worry about the speed, its like one uptick from Dark Souls 1 nothing really huge at all.

Matter of fact, im willing to bet poise will work like DeS in this game.

I hope you're right. I'd like there to be clear advantages to using light armour, as I've always preferred light over heavy builds. And please no items like that silly ninja ring that let you do backflips in Havel's armour. ^^

Grief.exe

I was hoping they'd aim for 60 fps. I just bought SOTFS and that shot feels amazing.

Shooting for 60 FPS eats up a large portion of the GPU budget on consoles. I would prefer From target visuals.

I hope you're right. I'd like there to be clear advantages to using light armour, as I've always preferred light over heavy builds. And please no items like that silly ninja ring that let you do backflips in Havel's armour. ^^

It's been standard procedure for demoing Souls in public environments so far.
Like I said, Journalists are literally terrible at everything.

CHC

Loving the faster, snappier combat. Reminds me of Demon's Souls a little, after it seemed to get slower each game leading up to Bloodborne.

It's also really relieving to see "tank" enemies absent - I'm talking about totally normal sized guys that are somehow immune to any kind of stagger and take 10 million attacks to kill (very prominent in DSII's DLC areas especially).

ZangBa

If its anything like the other souls games, that character wont be able to roll like that unless you heavily invest in equip load points or put on a ring. Come on people acting as if the game is ridiculously faster or something when what we're seeing has been done before. Its not Ds2 slow and its not BB fast. Just right.

Did you even play Demon's Souls? Because it's not exactly difficult to roll like that. Hell, you can backflip in Dark 1 with a full suit of armor. Armor doesn't even matter, everyone is going to aim for that roll for easy-mode dodging.

cerulily

Can I just say how happy I am that they added colour saturation and lighting contrast back into this game. Dark Souls 2 was such a grey mess.

kewlbot

yep looks a lot like bloodborne
even enemies transform in a similar way
rolling seems a lot faster if i'm not mistaken

Did you even play Demon's Souls? Because it's not exactly difficult to roll like that. Hell, you can backflip in Dark 1 with a full suit of armor. Armor doesn't even matter, everyone is going to aim for that roll for easy-mode dodging.

Okay and your point is? If someone wants to aim for that roll let them. Its no different from someone dumping points into ADP to be able to reliably roll through a Pursuer Greatsword stab.

What im getting from you is that you dislike the Dark 1/DeS roll animation which this essentially is and would prefer it to look like Ds2.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
would be nice if they implement a easy mode for new comers.
so they could sell more copies.

And to annoy that piss poor community of elitist gamers:)
some of those elitist of souls games remind me of gearscore sluts in earlier wow days.

Anyway when the easy mode is in i will def buy this game day 1

Bluenoser

When he was walking around with the torch, nothing had shadows. That's a bit disappointing, and I hope that will be fixed for retail.

Liked the fluid movement and quick gameplay. It's clear that was not the starting area, or an overpowered character was plopped into that area for demo purposes. Those swords were hitting hard.

Sure, but Souls isn't the same series as Bloodborne so I'd prefer they keep things seperate. D:

With how they release games so quickly of course some things will get reused. They wont look exactly the same art wise but theyll have a similar framework. Just take a look at that woman holding a brand in the trailer. Clearly a bell maiden from BB just repurposed to fit in Ds3s world.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The press sucks at games.

Devs always turn the difficulty way down when demoing games like this.

Yeah, I'd considered that but we never saw any press playing DS without 'needing' to use the shield at some point. Whoever was playing this had obviously played Bloodborne, and it worked. That worries me.

edit: I'm already labelled as 'concern trolling'? It's becoming the immediate go to argument.

Henkka

Banned
I don't know... I think I may have the Souls fatigue. It all looks so familiar now. Fighting zombie knights in a spooky castle, avoiding dragon fire, walking across a narrow plank to get treasure... I've done all that dozens of times now. Part of what made Dark Souls so great was the mystery, figuring out the mechanics for the first time and so on. Picking up your souls was novel, now it's routine.

Although I suppose it's possible this area is deliberately designed to resemble Undead Burg so people feel comfortable in the beginning, only to have the rug pulled from under them in the later stages.

Top Bottom