• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Gamescom Demo Impressions + Footage

silva1991

'This just in'. Is that necessary?

I played Demon's Souls three times and Dark Souls twice and in all cases, regardless of the fact I could play each time with more confidence, I still had to use the shield occasionally. It's why they are there and it's one of the core foundations of the franchise. Is this the final build? NO. I just noted that and it bothered me a bit.

I finished Dark souls 1 more than once with no shield

it wasn't hard at all(only Gwen and 4 kings were exceptions)

halfbeast

Banned
tumblr_nsmasqireB1s4y4v7o1_1280.jpg

maybe you level up with throwing knives?

tcrunch

Oh nice, direct feed gameplay?

No, just impressions.

I tried adding the new screenshots/concept art to the OP, but imgur breaks them after I link them so I'm going to try just making an album - the fextralife article has all the new ss and concept art for now.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Bloodborne is great but the king is back baby.

Known about it for awhile, but glad to finally see so much DS3 footage!

Euron

They turned this game into call of duty. It looks exactly the same as dark souls 2.
IMO it looks more like Forza, maybe Pac-Man. Oh wait wrong thread.

Gameplay itself looks great so far. I'm overjoyed to see the return of the Covenant of Sunlight (SUNBROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS). The boss had a really unique set of animations. The way it moved was just creepy. I love it so much.

graphics look really good.

I had a question left unanswered in another thread: does mS get exclusive marketing with this game?

They also showed Dark Souls 2 at their press conferences instead of Sony but it didn't really amount to having any exclusive content, which is good. I figure it'll be the same for this title.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It was though, especially with Bloodborne. The concern trolling about Bloodborne being "Casual Souls" was endless because of the demos. It turned out just fine. Dark Souls 2 was similar. I don't really remember Dark Souls 1 to be honest, but the series was very new then and many people didn't play Demon's Souls. I wouldn't be surprised to see people dying left and right in that game's demo even if they were playing a demo character.

I mean... it's Miyazaki. How many times does that guy need to make a masterpiece before people have some faith?

Bloodborne isn't a Souls game. There have been too many false 'concern' posts in ALL of Sony exclusive threads in my opinion. I stopped even bothering because I knew I would immediately be taken in the same way. Clearly I was right. They've ruined it for even the true fans of these franchises and I find that saddening.

Timeaisis

Yup, that's a Souls game.

Honestly, I was hoping they'd make some more changes. But whatever, I guess. Still looks good.

Bloodborne really spoiled me.

Manu

IMG]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11059542_915985228474522_1762895956347127632_n.jpg?oh=4fcf0ad7e6ca6a73adc9e240bb3e9616&oe=563A6B78[/IMG]

Painted World?

Could be. Especially since
there's an unused area below Priscilla on the DS1 game files but it's locked from the game, maybe they can bring it back.

Auctopus

Could be. Especially since
there's an unused area below Priscilla on the DS1 game files but it's locked from the game, maybe they can bring it back.

It looks incredibly similar. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't. Not because I need constant connections to DS1 but because it'd feel like they're reusing environments.

DS3 is set in Ariamis
maybe
(Sorry, can't remember if Ariamis was the land or not? I remember the area being based on a distant land supposedly).

Manu

It looks incredibly similar. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't. Not because I need constant connections to DS1 but because it'd feel like they're reusing environments.

DS3 is set in Ariamis
maybe

Maybe it's the "true" Ariamis? Kinda like Hunter's Dream/the workshop.

Wow, noticing some heavy Bloodborne nods in this. The rolls don't look to me like DS1 rolls or Demon's rolls, they look like BB rolls. I'm getting that overall sense of speed that BB had when I look at the movement, which is great to me because I liked that. Even has Bloodborne's font it appears. XD

neoism

fuccck yes looks amazing its still dark souls... the trailer made it look drab as fuck its really colorful...
day 1

So you're the Lord of Cinder in this game?

Doubtful.

I know it can't be done due to multi platform series, but it would be really cool DS3 reads your PC's memory on search of older DS save files so you could face down the Chosen Undead and the inmortal death living monarch the Bearer of the Curse.
Like Mass Effect did on the whole series.

But hey! a man can dream right?

Walpurgis

Banned
Just watched the 16 min. IGN video and oh my LOL at the player bringing the swordsman back to the dragon because he couldn't beat him. Speaking of which, the fire looks really nice. And I'm glad to see the torch back. I hope it actually works when the game comes out.

The first two-handed axeman looks pretty aggressive and hard. And the transformation of that enemy later in the IGN video was pretty awesome. I noticed that the Estus flask icon kind of shows how much Estus is left in your bottle, which is a nice touch. I absolutely LOVED how at the end of the video, the player ended up back at the beginning of the level without tracking back. I still can't believe that this wasn't in Dark Souls II. There was a good variety of enemies and some, like the fat two-handed axeman near the end, seemed like unique mini-bosses. Dark Souls II did not have much of that so hopefully it will me more like previous Souls games in that regard.

Basically, this video was perfect and should dismiss any fears that fans had about this game. It looks like it took everything that was good about Dark Souls II and put it into Dark Souls 1.

I hope Bandai releases direct feed gameplay.

I'm excited I played Bloodborne but not Dark Souls. I feel like I would like the atmosphere and lore around Dark Souls more. In terms of game length and world size are Dark Souls game larger than the world of Bloodborne?

Walpurgis

Banned
Just watched the boss gameplay. The boss design looks awesome. Too bad the player went in with half health and didn't know how to use Estus. It would have been nice to see the boss transform.

Miyazaki wants knights to be strong characters again, having got weaker earlier in series. Knights will move differently when equipped with different weapons.
Saw this in the OP and it made me very happy. The knights in Demon's Souls were damn scary, especially the red-eyed ones. The Dark Souls III ones look and sound to be going back to that.

I am curious about those sword art online attacks. I keep hearing about them but I don't really understand how they work since I've never played Bloodborne. It would be nice if we could get direct feed gameplay narrated by Miyazaki explaining it.

I just remembered that there was some news about 3 hours of cutscenes or something a while back. Is there any new information on that? Everything looked like usual Dark Souls.

takriel

DS3 is set in Ariamis
maybe
(Sorry, can't remember if Ariamis was the land or not? I remember the area being based on a distant land supposedly).
lol when have we heard that before? oh right dks 2 reveal...

tcrunch

I've been trawling through the DreadedCone/Oroboro video and adding other informative bits from the impressions to the OP, notably DC got to fight the fat knight boss (who is hidden somewhere in the demo) and says fat knight has 3 spells, looking like Soul Spear, Soul Geyser, and other spell that is an AOE magic.

Other points:
+ Backstabs have an extremely narrow window, no more backstabbing from the side on human-sized enemies
+ Throwing knife tracks really tightly and flies fast, tracks strafers but not runners, you MUST react to knives in pvp to dodge them, can hit dogs running around with knives
+ L3 jump option is back

Gbraga

I'm excited I played Bloodborne but not Dark Souls. I feel like I would like the atmosphere and lore around Dark Souls more. In terms of game length and world size are Dark Souls game larger than the world of Bloodborne?

Yes, a bit larger, though I would expect 3 to be about the same as Bloodborne, given the development time.

If you're into the lore, you should start with Dark Souls 1 if you can, try to play it before 3 comes out to get into the world.

Dat Miyazaki touch. In my veins. God is this a good time to be a Dark Souls fan.

Snakeheads from Bloodborne on distilled steroids? :)

I mean... it's Miyazaki. How many times does that guy need to make a masterpiece before people have some faith?

I think people may be unaware that he didn't direct Dark Souls 2 and therefore dialed down their expectations for 3.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It was though, especially with Bloodborne. The concern trolling about Bloodborne being "Casual Souls" was endless because of the demos. It turned out just fine. Dark Souls 2 was similar. I don't really remember Dark Souls 1 to be honest, but the series was very new then and many people didn't play Demon's Souls. I wouldn't be surprised to see people dying left and right in that game's demo even if they were playing a demo character.

Edit: Damn, looks awesome:

I love how twisted the landscape is, kind of like the entrance to Shulva in 2, I love it.

Black goop + red glowy eyes, it's all Manus'd up. So I'm gonna guess the Abyss is what it is :p

ZangBa

I've been trawling through the DreadedCone/Oroboro video and adding other informative bits from the impressions to the OP, notably DC got to fight the fat knight boss (who is hidden somewhere in the demo) and says fat knight has 3 spells, looking like Soul Spear, Soul Geyser, and other spell that is an AOE magic.

Other points:
+ Backstabs have an extremely narrow window, no more backstabbing from the side on human-sized enemies
+ Throwing knife tracks really tightly and flies fast, tracks strafers but not runners, you MUST react to knives in pvp to dodge them, can hit dogs running around with knives
+ L3 jump option is back

Thank God. Jumping with O is torture.

oldboss

Ggaaaaaaahhhh!

Castle looks like boletaria X undead burg X yharnam

I love it already.

Also, do some enemies spray ashes instead of blood when hit, or are those just the objects ?

Love how the estus flask icon changes the more you drink!

Top Bottom