• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Gamescom Demo Impressions + Footage

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What's that counter in the upper left? It shares the same icon as the sword. Is it a counter for the special arts?

Edit: Indeed it is! Where's the Humanity counter at though?

giphy.gif

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Why on earth would they keep that healing? It's really tedious to have to deal with painfully slow healing. Do you want artificial difficulty?

What I want is for some coward to not run away and get his/her health back instantly. There should be some risk involved in pouring Sunny D down your gullet mid battle which part 2 addressed.

Yeah, I'd considered that but we never saw any press playing DS without 'needing' to use the shield at some point. Whoever was playing this had obviously played Bloodborne, and it worked. That worries me.

edit: I'm already labelled as 'concern trolling'? It's becoming the immediate go to argument.

This just in: experience with one Souls game makes the next one easier. Sorry dude, that's just how it works. The only way they could prevent this is by making each game more and more difficult, which would make the games next to impossible for newcomers.

Anyway, it's a demo character. Obviously overleveled and overgeared, just like all the Soulsborne demos before it.

Gbraga

What's that counter in the upper left? It shares the same icon as the sword. Is it a counter for the special arts?

Edit: Indeed it is! Where's the Humanity counter at though?

Oh god, didn't even think about that.

Hopefully that means no more Humanity at all, and not the effigy system. Humanity in Dark 1 was much more interesting to me, but I'm ok if they're not using it at all and instead will offer something different.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think so, in 15 minutes there should be more info.

Sweet. Also I just noticed that floppy ragdolls are motherfucking back

Oh god, didn't even think about that.

Hopefully that means no more Humanity at all, and not the effigy system. Humanity in Dark 1 was much more interesting to me, but I'm ok if they're not using it at all and instead will offer something different.

Maybe Humanity restoration is strictly gameplay-based now rather than depending on items.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This just in: experience with one Souls game makes the next one easier. Sorry dude, that's just how it works. The only way they could prevent this is by making each game more and more difficult, which would make the games next to impossible for newcomers.

Anyway, it's a demo character. Obviously overleveled and overgeared, just like all the Soulsborne demos before it.

'This just in'. Is that necessary?

I played Demon's Souls three times and Dark Souls twice and in all cases, regardless of the fact I could play each time with more confidence, I still had to use the shield occasionally. It's why they are there and it's one of the core foundations of the franchise. Is this the final build? NO. I just noted that and it bothered me a bit.

KZObsessed

Yeah this looks great. Like the speed increase, seems more like Demons Souls than Dark Souls. Can't wait for this and Bloodborne expansion.

What I want is for some coward to not run away and get his/her health back instantly. There should be some risk involved in pouring Sunny D down your gullet mid battle which part 2 addressed.
Uhhh, chase after him? In Dark Souls 1 it was dangerous to heal mid battle because you can get back stabbed. Dark Souls 2 made everything needlessly tedious. You PvP criers ruined PvE with your arbitrary rules.

This just in: I played Demon's Souls three times and Dark Souls twice and in all cases, regardless of the fact I could play each time with more confidence, I still had to use the shield occasionally. It's why they are there and it's one of the core foundations of the franchise. Is this the final build? NO. I just noted that and it bothered me a bit.

The guy got hit in the face like 400 times because he wasn't using his shield. If he weren't overleveled and overgeared he would have died countless times.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The guy got hit in the face like 400 times because he wasn't using his shield. If he weren't overleveled and overgeared he would have died countless times.

Yes, but it wasn't like that when they demonstrated the other games in the franchise. The big thing was the 'You Died' message. Can't you remember? If it was toned down for the press then it was toned down too much.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Uhhh, chase after him? In Dark Souls 1 it was dangerous to heal mid battle because you can get back stabbed. Dark Souls 2 made everything needlessly tedious. You PvP criers ruined PvE with your arbitrary rules.

I did chase after them on both except on part 2 i could just attack normally. I didn't have to pray they have there back to me in the millisecond the game decides to give them their whole bar of health back. It was a problem in part 1 which is why 2 addressed it.

Bluenoser

Yes, but it wasn't like that when they demonstrated the other games in the franchise. The big thing was the 'You Died' message. Can't you remember? If it was toned down for the press then it was toned down too much.

You're way too concerned about things that are being shown in a press demo.

I've never played a souls game and came away thinking... damn, that was too easy. I'm sure this one will be the same.

Just watched the 16 minute demo. This game looks glorious! The graphics and amount of detail are on par with Bloodborne.

The animations look so, so much better than DS2. Walking and running looks more grounded and not as floaty anymore. Combat also looks faster and more lively. Hits look more impactfull and not as dull and awkward as in DS2.
The only bad thing that stood out to me is the very rough looking strafe animation in which the character moves faster than his movement would suggest. If they fix that I'll be there day one.

It was though, especially with Bloodborne. The concern trolling about Bloodborne being "Casual Souls" was endless because of the demos. It turned out just fine. Dark Souls 2 was similar. I don't really remember Dark Souls 1 to be honest, but the series was very new then and many people didn't play Demon's Souls. I wouldn't be surprised to see people dying left and right in that game's demo even if they were playing a demo character.

I mean... it's Miyazaki. How many times does that guy need to make a masterpiece before people have some faith?

Edit: Damn, looks awesome:

Aurongel

Looks like a Souls game, warts and all.

Pretty disappointed they're not changing up the core gameplay more to be honest. It's like they stumbled into this formula that works but don't understand it enough to improve it in any meaningful way. Kind of like a "don't rock the boat" mentality.

I'm not doubting it will be a great game, it's just that other series innovate quite a bit more significantly than the souls games have. BloodBorne marked the point at which they've finally (mostly) overcome the technical hurdles that plagued their designs. Now their new roadblock/challenge seems to be how to broaden the design. Releasing on stronger hardware can't alleviate creative bankruptcy.

Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom