• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Opening Cinematic]

Imagine this was your first Souls game. Like, what the hell is she even talking about?

"The Lord of Cinder will bring a new flame to link the ash of Lothric and..."

WHAT.

My first Souls game.
Either way, with Bloodborne I didn't get any of the story until I surfed on forums and make my own interpretation of it after the first and second playthrough.

I like the Vaatividya lore videos

Not a good idea to put faith in those too much. Alot of the stuff is theories and speculations, which is what makes part of the lore interpretation in these games so fun on forums and such. Alot of the videos i've seen with him keep using them as "facts", which isn't true at all. I get that it's for dramatization or whatever but i'd recommend EpicNameBro's stuff instead.

Vaati's stuff pretty much hollywood-ifies the lore, for better or worse.

Manu

Is it me or does this story seem like a direct sequel to 1, pretending DS2 doesn't exist? References a lot of lore terms from DS1. Didn't notice anything from 2.

I guess DS2 is just the same story in a different setting kinda.

You mean, other than the fact that there have been multiple Lords of Cinder, one of which is a giant straight out of DS2, because kindling the flame every time it's about to die is a repeating cycle?

Yeah, other than that, I guess it does.

Lux R7

external source:
Yes indeed. It is called Lothric. Where the transitory lands of the lords of cinder converge. In venturing north the pilgrims discover the truth of the old words. The fire fades and the lords go without thrones. When the link of fire is threatened the bell tolls unearthing the old lords of cinder from their graves. Uldritch, Saint of the Deep. Farron's Undead Legion, The Abyss Watchers. And the reclusive lord of the profaned capital, Hyuong The Giant. Only in truth, the lords will abandon their thrones, and the unkindled will rise. Namless acursed undead, unfit even to be cinder. And so it is that ash seeketh embers.

You mean, other than the fact that there have been multiple Lords of Cinder, one of which is a giant straight out of DS2, because kindling the flame every time it's about to die is a repeating cycle?

Yeah, other than that, I guess it does.

Also
Faraam's legion, the abyss watchers

Edit: Welp, seems it's "Farron's", ignore me.

Heartfyre

It seemed to channel the Dark Souls opening a bit. I get the feeling with the way it ends abruptly that this isn't the entire cinematic. And that's only three Old Souls when it should be four.

Even though I've played all the Souls games, I've only played Demon's and this at launch. A bookended experience, I guess.

Farron's Undead Legion was awesome.

Yes, also if you it seems the lead is carrying a sword that looks like Artorias's sword:

vq5HVnm.jpg

That cinematic was basically the cinematic in DS1 without all the cool action. Oh cool let's show off the four lords that we'll have to fight in this game oh yes indeed yes indeed

Yay for another rehash but this time it's even more obvious

Fuck this shit I'm going back to Bloodborne and Demon's Souls

satire77

external source:
Yes indeed. It is called Lothric. Where the transitory lands of the lords of cinder converge. In venturing north the pilgrims discover the truth of the old words. The fire fades and the lords go without thrones. When the link of fire is threatened the bell tolls unearthing the old lords of cinder from their graves. Uldritch, Saint of the Deep. Farron's Undead Legion, The Abyss Watchers. And the reclusive lord of the profaned capital, Hyuong The Giant. Only in truth, the lords will abandon their thrones, and the unkindled will rise. Namless acursed undead, unfit even to be cinder. And so it is that ash seeketh embers.

Thanks a lot for the text, i wasn't able to understand everything she was saying when presenting the lords because the music is so loud.

Yeah noticed that too in that picture that leaked of this last week. I wonder if they're some Legion built upon Artorias wish to stop the abyss or something.

Would be pretty damn cool if they connected the lore in that way. I don't want too much pandering though, but some lore connections would be sweet.

Lux R7

That cinematic was basically the cinematic in DS1 without all the cool action. Oh cool let's show off the four lords that we'll have to fight in this game oh yes indeed yes indeed

re81Us.gif

So i havent seen anything outside of the beta area, does this have spoilers? I wouldnt consider setting up the story to be spoilers, just seeing bosses etc.

Eidan

Hahaha.

Trailer looks awesome. I need my new Souls fix.

Venfayth

Not feeling it at all. Seems like they're copying the first Dark Souls opening cinematic template, trying to list all the baddies, but it just doesn't even come close to hitting the same notes. Seems very uninspired.

Very ambivalent about what I've seen from this game so far.

CONCH0BAR

Yeah why no digital preorder yet? :/

More like, "Why no preorder yet?". As far as I know there's currently no way to preorder the game for PC at all in the US.

Lack-of-preorder woes aside, the trailer was spectacular. I really hope there's some way to join the Undead Legion, like Gravelord's Servant in DaS or the Rat King Covenant in DaSII.

EDIT: Actually, it seems that GreenManGaming is accepting preorders.

saher

Banned
Im not too excited for this game ... probably because of the settings,it looks just like DS1&2 and im tired of that plus im playing bloodborne currently.

i guess i will wait few months or a year before i play this one.

FROM pls, I need this game right now :(
external source:
Thanks for the text. I didn't catch half of those due to the loud music. Though, I think she says "old worlds", referencing DS1 and DS2's.

21XX

Banned
Imagine this was your first Souls game. Like, what the hell is she even talking about?

"The Lord of Cinder will bring a new flame to link the ash of Lothric and..."

WHAT.

Imagine this was your third Souls game. Like, what the hell is she even talking about?

tcrunch

Bear in mind this likely isn't the whole cinematic. If it follows the DS1 template, it introduces the bosses, then switches to fast music while they kill dragons and go on a bender.

ctKCDg5.gif
GEyGwUt.gif

Yes, indeed, it is called Lothric
Where the transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder converge
In venturing North
The Pilgrims discover the truth of the old words:
The fire fades
And the Lords go without thrones
When the link of Fire is threatened
The Bell tolls
Unearthing the old lords of cinder from their graves
Aldritch, Saint of the Deep,
Farron's Undead Legion, the Abyss Watchers,
And the reclusive lord of the profaned capital, Yhorm the Giant,
Only in truth, the Lords will abandon their thrones
And the Unkindled will rise
Nameless accursed undead, unfit even to be cinder,
And so it is that ash seeketh embers.

Even if you played 1 and 2 you will probably still not have any idea what is going on story wise. Thats just how Souls stories go.
Dark Souls 1 has a very clear and easy to understand story. The game is even nice enough to explain the history of its world to you before the player character is told what they need to do and why they should do so.

People saying the Giant guy is a Giant from Dark Souls 2 need their eyes checked.

He's wearing chainmail armor with a crown. Thats not his face that has a hole in it, you just cant see it clearly. And even if you could it looks to be completely charred black.

So they say that this is the land where the Lords of Cinder come together and show the Anor Londo arches. Seems to me this is at least where Lordran was, we dont know for sure about Drangleic because of obvious reasons.

The Abyss Watchers seems like a call back to the covenant Artorias made with the Abyss to be able to traverse it.

Also I wonder which LOC was supposed to come out of the grave next to firelink in the cinematic? Is it the sludge guy?

Another thing. There's 4 empty thrones according to some leaked gameplay from last week, yet the opening cinematic shows 3 bosses...hmmm

Top Bottom