• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day 1 patch makes COD: Ghosts SP 1080p on PS4, is 720p without patch

Videogames journalism, ladies and gentlemen. NOT A SINGLE "journo" realized this, not even the Polygon guys who would have REALLY REALLY wanted to expose this.

Now every review should be redone/revisited when the game/console actually launches, lol.

cripterion

Just wondering... for the people that lambasted the reviewers saying they should get their eyes checked cause they couldn't tell the difference between the Xbone and PS4 version : are you going to eat some crow?

Wereroku

So uh, what if the PS4 version was in 720p when people were noticing fps drops? thatd sure be interesting, although I know not every build suffered from this problem of course, seems to potentially be retail copy specific

Might actually fix it if the engine was bugging out from the incorrect output.

So uh, what if the PS4 version was in 720p when people were noticing fps drops?

It probably was outputting 720p but (sadly) still rendering 1080p.

If you set your PS4 to 720p in the dash, games should really be coded to recognize this, use a 720p frame buffer, and give you fewer framerate dips.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just wondering... for the people that lambasted the reviewers saying they should get their eyes checked cause they couldn't tell the difference between the Xbone and PS4 version : are you going to eat some crow?

They will not! But they oughtta!

Interestingly enough...I've seen a sixth axis video comparing multiplayer between the systems and the PS4 version seems somewhat sharper--it even is apparent in the compressed videos. SP, on the other hand, looks nearly identical (not withstanding gamma differences).

Wereroku

Videogames journalism, ladies and gentlemen. NOT A SINGLE "journo" realized this, not even the Polygon guys who would have REALLY REALLY wanted to expose this.

Now every review should be redone/revisited when the game/console actually launches, lol.

Again they are saying it was explicitly retail code a lot of these folks reviewed prerelease code where the resolution was correct.

They are still blind precisely because they COULDN'T tell the difference between the supposed 1080p and the actual 720p on PS4. They deserve all of that.

Jonboy

"There was a configuration issue in the retail version on single-player mode only."

So did reviewers use the "retail version" or prerelease code?

I'd say it makes the reviewers look worse as they didn't realise it was limited to 720p or even ask as to why 50% extra pixels made seemingly no difference.

In motion, at typical viewing distances from typical televisions, most people don't notice the difference.

I'm all for all reviewers sitting four feet from 60" screens, but it's not realistic to expect it.

Sites like DF and LoT can do the pixel counting, I don't really expect reviewers to do that.

Nerokis

Hmm, seems all the people calling others out for not being able to tell the difference between the two versions need their eyes checked. ;)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
They didn't even realise that the retail and review versions were at 720p for the single player experience until the pixel counters found out. What the fuck? How does this even happen and how did the reviewers. Wait, the reviewers. I bet a lot of there commentary looks a little silly now.

Salex_

Just to clarify, this means that multiplayer is and has always been 1080p on PS4, correct?

Yep, so that means what people said in the reviews were somewhat accurate. I was surprised by the amount of doubters who said there was no way it could be 1080p since the Xbox One version was 720p.

Wereroku

"There was a configuration issue in the retail version on single-player mode only."

So did reviewers use the "retail version" or prerelease code?

Thats the part some of these folks are ignoring. I wish people would not just jump on other outlets that saw a difference.

Top Bottom