• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day 1 patch makes COD: Ghosts SP 1080p on PS4, is 720p without patch

Izayoi

Banned
Are you sure it's better now? Maybe it's just your imagination?
Hahahaha.

It's hilarious (and pathetic) that we have to turn to end users to get actual information about the game... Such a goddamn joke, the gaming industry is just one big carnival of stupid.

Orlics

This entire thread is indicative of how out of touch the NeoGAF community is with the rest of the population that plays games. I guarantee you that 99% of people aren't able to tell the difference between a game that's 720p and the same game in 1080p, especially when it's running on a non-huge TV that's 10-20 feet from them. An even smaller fraction of people can tell them apart without having them side-by-side.

It's absurd to demand that these journalists (outside of maybe Ars Technica or Beyond3D) count pixels, especially with no prior knowledge that IW might have messed up the config settings. Most people playing these games simply don't care.

This whole obsession with bullshit technical minutiae is why the gaming press seems completely bonkers to anyone outside looking in. Let's take the music press as a comparison. Wouldn't it be bizarre to see Pitchfork or Spin dominated by articles comparing the hardware differences between headphone and speaker brands? Of course it would; those aren't the type of articles you see on those sites, you see news and thinkpieces about music. I don't understand why gaming websites and gaming message boards are so different in this respect.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This entire thread is indicative of how out of touch the NeoGAF community is with the rest of the population that plays games. I guarantee you that 99% of people aren't able to tell the difference between a game that's 720p and the same game in 1080p, especially when it's running on a non-huge TV that's 10-20 feet from them. An even smaller fraction of people can tell them apart without having them side-by-side.

It's absurd to demand that these journalists (outside of maybe Ars Technica or Beyond3D) count pixels, especially with no prior knowledge that IW might have messed up the config settings. Most people playing these games simply don't care.
It's absurd to think that you actually need to count pixels to see the difference. It's plain and day.

We shouldn't have to suffer due to supposed consumer ignorance especially when resolution has been a huge selling point for other mainstream devices.

Orlics

It's absurd to think that you actually need to count pixels to see the difference. It's plain and day.

We shouldn't have to suffer due to supposed consumer ignorance especially when resolution has been a huge selling point for other mainstream devices.

It's very clear when you have them side by side in a screenshot on your computer, but it's a whole different story when you're playing the game on a TV far away from you, without being told beforehand to try and spot a possible resolution downgrade (i.e. the reviewer would just think that the IQ of the game is low for some other reason).

liquidtmd

Banned

This whole obsession with bullshit technical minutiae is why the gaming press seems completely bonkers to anyone outside looking in. Let's take the music press as a comparison. Wouldn't it be bizarre to see Pitchfork or Spin dominated by articles comparing the hardware differences between headphone and speaker brands? Of course it would; those aren't the type of articles you see on those sites, you see news and thinkpieces about music. I don't understand why gaming websites and gaming message boards are so different in this respect.

Its absurd to be told that documenting 'technical minutiae' is bullshit when formats like blu-ray, sold on the concept of higher fidelity, are doing very well and this concept that the average movie viewer doesn't care about such differences is ridiculous.

TUROK

I like you. You're rational.

It's a nice change of pace from the conspiracy theories and accusations of lying.

Sean*O

So about this patch... Can anyone outline the procedure for installing it? I just got my ps4 dialed in and it looks like the game is still installing (very quietly) as there is a spinning icon at the bottom of the Start tile and the drive is spinning. So far I have not been able to find any additional downloads nor has the system given me any notifications to install a patch.

I am going to give it a little more time and see if it prompts me for a download, at this point the drive has stopped spinning but the icon on the start tile has not...

Can anyone share their experience installing this patch? Thank you,

Sean*O

OK I figured it out. For anyone else in the same situation, i waited until the drive stopped spinning and it was finished with the install. Then I had to go into the dashboard and close the game. Then i was able to install the patch that had been automatically downloaded in the background.

Not really.

People on average are very good at recognizing patterns, They are able to tell when something looks better, it's just that they lack the knowledge to explain why it looks better to them. Just like with any other knowledge, the more you know about a subject the more in detail you can go when you try to explain or discuss something about it. Experience and knowledge can even change your opinion , like realizing that movie you enjoyed so much as a kid wasn't that good after all, or that boring book you read back then is actually fascinating now that you understand what it was all about.

Even if you know nothing about wine, you still can tell which one tastes better, but the more you know, the finer details you notice.

Kogepan

Are you kidding? You ASSUME the most people dont care so it shouldn't be covered by the professional press when doing their reviews? I guess car magazines shouldn't cover horsepower ratings in cars either because MOST people would never rev their engines that high?

All I have discovered from this thread is that a lot of people apperenty need their eyes checked. The dmv's eye exam obviously isn't tough enough.

PnCIa

While i agree that most people wont notice (unless you point out the difference to them), your argument is absurdly flawed. Why not stay with the 360/ps3 and lower the resolution to 700xsomething but add more effects? The scaler will take care of the rest. When someone can see a difference is totally subjective, would it bother you if they went that low?

Log4Girlz

If I'm not mistaken, weren't devs and gamers bragging about how doing 1080p 60fps was so easy on the PS4?

What happened?

Your memory is faulty? I saw most posters express the opinion that they expected 1080p would be paired with 30 fps. Resolution and framerate are choices. Devs choose 30 fps to maximize scene detail. This was expected by most. Any system capable of outputting 1080p can also run 60 fps if the choice is made to do so at the sacrifice of scene detail. Even 7th generation tech like Ps3/X360/Wii U are perfecly capable.

XultrA

Neo Member
Are you kidding? You ASSUME the most people dont care so it shouldn't be covered by the professional press when doing their reviews? I guess car magazines shouldn't cover horsepower ratings in cars either because MOST people would never rev their engines that high?

Very good point.
If I'm interested in HDTV ,I will go for a decent 1080p TV and read or hear something like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance
If my living room is huge I would buy a projector.
My living room isn't huge, I'm sitting 2,5m away from a 42’Plasma and I buy this month a 50' ,my wife :) doesn't allow a bigger one.
I need some seconds to recognize the difference between 720p and 1080p in movies, but movies are not games!
There are two files about 2GByte big, 60fps, which compare BF4 on XBox1 (720p) and PS4 (900p) ,I looked them on my TV and the Problem is the Aliasing the bad AA, which is much more visible in motion than on pics. The 720p X1 version was much uglier.
720p to 1080p is a even bigger step ,we talk about games not pictures/movies, I wear big glasses ,I'm not young, but I see after 2sec if a game is in 720p or in 1080p.
And I mean in game ,not scripted 'movie scenes' of the game.
If someone doesn't see the difference in a movie is something total different.
Please stop argument that your TV is too small or a 720p model ,that's nonsense.
If someone want to sit 5m away from his 32’ TV won't /is not physically able to see difference between PAL/NTSC to 1080p okay his own thing,but that is nonsense to argument against the difference is watchable at right viewing distance at a good big TV.
If someone buy a cheap 200€/$ 50' LCD which panel is showing in motion just 500 lines , that's is not the problem of someone who has a expensive TV and see a difference.
Sry for my English :)
Peace

MS are getting across the PR message quite well that resolution doesn't really matter (except when it does, i.e. Forza).
Note this clinker from today's Guardian:

It's a tiny bit more powerful: for example Call Of Duty: Ghosts runs at 1080p on PS4 and 720p on Xbox One, not that you'd notice without a TV the size of a double bed.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/16/playstation-4-xbox-one

This is from a paper which is otherwise happy to comment on good image quality for Blu-Rays. To choose a random review (of some old ass Dr Who ep).

this is the only one of the vintage stories to have the picture quality worthy of a HD transfer [because it's a 16mm transfer]. The Blu-ray looks superb...

I'm not suggesting that MS are buying press, just that they have successfully got the message out to the gaming press that even pointing out the res differences is something for insufferable nerds, like a hifi enthusiast wittering on about his gold connectors.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Whenever a game receives an update it includes release notes. Options > update history

Is 1080p mentioned in the cod day 1? I don't own the game obviously but still interested in this.

system11

I think it's absurd that people whose sole job is to review games and help people make purchasing decisions don't cover the technical aspects of games. You'd expect reviews on blu-ray.com to mention what quality the HD transfer is, why wouldn't you expect a game site to mention resolution and frame rate as a general item? The fact that the players don't care is just another failing of journalists - if they talked about aspects the general public would be more educated over time.

Just to recap, for those who didn't know this fact already: Most people would be unable to tell the difference between the following two images:

JFM9o8D.png

Well the terrible JPG compression probably doesn't help...

spwolf

Indeed. I don't remember people saying they couldn't see the resolution differences between the Wii and the PS360. And this is a bigger gap.

if there was no difference between 720p and 1080p (as well as other higher resolutions), Titan would not exist.

thefro

I think it's absurd that people whose sole job is to review games and help people make purchasing decisions don't cover the technical aspects of games. You'd expect reviews on blu-ray.com to mention what quality the HD transfer is, why wouldn't you expect a game site to mention resolution and frame rate as a general item? The fact that the players don't care is just another failing of journalists - if they talked about aspects the general public would be more educated over time.

Probably because a game is a good game regardless of whether it's running at 1280 x 720 resolution or 1920 x 1080.

I'd agree that it's something they should mention for multiplatform games that are otherwise identical, but most people can't tell a huge difference.

MercuryLS

Banned
if there was no difference between 720p and 1080p (as well as other higher resolutions), Titan would not exist.

I knew there would be a difference, but I didn't expect to be so dramatic. 1080p is so beautiful when it's matched with high res textures. I don't think I can go back.

Xbox One having a lot of titles in 720p is a shame.

scotcheggz

Errr, no. You don't think discussing production values and details on how certain instruments were recorded are important when reviewing an album? Maybe not to radio-on-at-work types, but actual music enthusiasts want to know this stuff. Any media directed to an enthusiast audience would look bonkers to someone who is not an enthusiast, it's not exclusive to gaming. Check out an audiophile magazine for an easy example.

Now it's becoming more and more probable that they straight out lied to cover their mistake. If it's true IGN's a total joke.

The funny thing is, haven't the pixel counters flat out claimed that BOTH versions in the IGN comparison were running at the same resolution? That would go against everything that IGN was claiming.

IISANDERII

I've been playing the Ghost campaign and deleted the patch and the differences between with and without the patch are very apparent to me. I wanted to go through the entire at campaign at 720p at first[then go through it on 1080p on a Hardened difficulty and getting trophies] but forget it, it's just too damned ugly in comparison.

Are there any new comparisons to highlight the difference pre/post patch? And more importantly, to stack it up against the "1080p" comparisons we got from other sites?

Top Bottom