• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daylight ready to scare your pants off on April 8

PBY

Banned
I'm hiding behind anonymity? My name is right there in my screenname. I have a fucking picture of my face as my avatar. I've met with many members on here in person and know there's at least one person here who knows me and grew up with me. I'm not shy about talking about personal information and am in no way trying to use the internet to hide who I am.

If I said something that was directly related to my job on Twitter, insulting my customer base, I would certainly be fired.

I don't know what world you live in where people shouldn't have to face accountability for their actions or live in the real world, but I certainly am very aware of all this stuff.

I agree. Thats on his boss though- did it reaaally offend you that much, that you personally need to call for him to be fired? Thats for you to decide, I just know that I'd want others to be empathetic if the roles were reversed. Also- the whole thing is super dumb anyways and he apologized.

So back to the game?

Hey people,

I didn't mean to make you all so mad. And for that I apologize. I made a flippant comment (hello, internet!) because I was pissed that people were ragging on mitch for such a silly remark he made. Like, why do people care so much about what he talks about with TVs? It was a moment of bitterness, a moment of weakness, and a silly thing to say. I'm sure most of you are great people. Some of you are my colleagues. Some of you are potential customers who, I hope, can forgive someone for having a moment like we've all had. Twitter makes it too easy to say something out of hand and have it become more important than you'd think. So again, NeoGAF, I apologize to all of you. No one forced me to do this. My employer didn't make me do this. I wanted to do this because I saw that I offended many of you, some of whom no doubt supported me during my lowest days of unemployment after layoffs, etc. It is unfair to group together all of you when it's really only some of you who sometimes say unnecessarily mean remarks to my friends, etc. Can you forgive someone for a fault, NeoGAF? I hope so.
Not sure if serious...

S1kkZ

He's quickly burning through any empathy I had for the guy. Anthony (among others) received financial support from a bunch of us post-1up layoffs, only for that to be used in helping bring Arthur Gies into the industry, as well as paying for another friends gaming PC.

holy shit i forgot about that. i supported the group with 60$ back then. man, i am a real asshole.

Hey people,

I didn't mean to make you all so mad. And for that I apologize. I made a flippant comment (hello, internet!) because I was pissed that people were ragging on mitch for such a silly remark he made. Like, why do people care so much about what he talks about with TVs? It was a moment of bitterness, a moment of weakness, and a silly thing to say. I'm sure most of you are great people. Some of you are my colleagues. Some of you are potential customers who, I hope, can forgive someone for having a moment like we've all had. Twitter makes it too easy to say something out of hand and have it become more important than you'd think. So again, NeoGAF, I apologize to all of you. No one forced me to do this. My employer didn't make me do this. I wanted to do this because I saw that I offended many of you, some of whom no doubt supported me during my lowest days of unemployment after layoffs, etc. It is unfair to group together all of you when it's really only some of you who sometimes say unnecessarily mean remarks to my friends, etc. Can you forgive someone for a fault, NeoGAF? I hope so.

You're trying to make it difficult for us to go on a witchhunt, eh?
Apology accepted. It sounds genuine to me.
AT, your anal asshole. ;-)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Anthony Gallegos just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about game development culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in enthusiast press where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in gamedev, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the GAF, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Daylight for PS4, nor will they purchase any of Zombie's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Anthony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Anthony, publicly apologize and cancel your twitter or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about game development culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in enthusiast press where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in gamedev, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the GAF, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Daylight for PS4, nor will they purchase any of Zombie's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Anthony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Anthony, publicly apologize and cancel your twitter or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Yeah, you're a little late. He already apologized at the bottom of page 2...

Edit: Damnit, how did I fall for this? I'm an idiot...

coughlanio

A little late with that one..

GrayFoxPL

Hey people,

What is best in life?

I think I'm in love with you

Hey people,

I wasn't one of the ones on a witch hunt, even if i do think the comment was silly, but that is quite clearly a genuine apology. Listening to you on Super Knockin Boots (please come back) made me think that you're a really nice guy, so I just consider this a silly remark in reply to some equally pointless stuff people were saying.

GoxRx

LOL

10/10

ps3ud0

Hes just apologised on Twitter too, but doesnt appear to know his own studios Twitter handle - @ZombieStudios :p

ps3ud0 8)

Yasir

Never gets old.

Also np Anthony, apology accepted. Was a rebel FM listener since day 1.

Chufmoney

Neo Member
I wasn't one of the ones on a witch hunt, even if i do think the comment was silly, but that is quite clearly a genuine apology. Listening to you on Super Knockin Boots (please come back) made me think that you're a really nice guy, so I just consider this a silly remark in reply to some equally pointless stuff people were saying.

Yeah, I am genuinely sorry. I don't like to upset anyone, which is usually why I just don't say much on twitter. An angry moment and a cellphone together made me upset a lot of good people. Do I super duper love Mitch? Hell yes, I love all my friends, including arthur who gets repeatedly savaged on here. But i said something out of anger instead of thinking it through. Hopefully everyone here can remember moments in life where they've done the same thing and hear me now and realize, "hey, everyone makes mistakes." So yeah, to the people who missed the last apology: I AM SORRY, GAF.

hawk2025

Hey people,

I, for one, really appreciate the words and the sentiment.

I understand how it is sometimes when you just get a bit heated and say something.

So with that said, can't wait to play the game :)

Apathy

Hey people,

We'll Anthony at least you're able to apologize for a mistake, not something many can do. I personally am not mad about the comment because I actually like you as an individual standpoint from your podcasts. What annoys me more is that you so easily back up someone regardless of how wrong they are for the sake of being his friend rather than tell then straight up they are wrong. You might want to two Mitch that rather than open up on Twitter with things that he thinks are truthful, check beforehand or at least learn to admit a mistake rather than make it worse.

Seanspeed

Banned
I believe your quote was, "He's clearly a bit ignorant about graphical fidelity". Unless I'm mistaken, you don't know Anthony; and therefore, that quote was just as generalized and baseless as his was. You can't judge a man based on one comment, just as he shouldn't have judged the Gaf as a whole based on one issue that the vocal minority got up in arms about once upon a time.

It just seems as if you are taking this a bit personally. So he insulted the Gaf. Big deal! He's an ex-journalist. Find a site that doesn't have something negative to say about us at one point or another.

Feel free to not purchase his game and to vote with your wallet, but you have to admit that calling on his employers to fire him for making a flippant comment about the Gaf is a bit ridiculous and overly sensitive.
Ah ok, about the ignorant thing.

Well, I stand by what I said even more then. If Mr.Chufmoney here(the apology is appreciated, by the way) doesn't think there's any perceptible difference between 720p and 1080p unless the display is 50inches or bigger, he's a bit ignorant. That wasn't an implusive stab, like his generalization was. Thats just a pure display of ignorance. I think some people are oversensitive to the phrase 'ignorant', which literally just means 'lacking knowledge', which he does if that's what he thinks. I can forgive people for ignorance, given they don't go spewing it around as fact even after being taught otherwise. Its no harm to not know something. In his line of work, its something you'd expect somebody to be a little more aware of though, even if its not something that he's particularly receptive to. Its a bit confounding, but like I said, wasn't even my main issue.

Also, I don't think you understand what the word 'baseless' means. But ok whatever, moving on!

Hey people,

Accepted. I have one note on this, though: Mitch has, like many others in the press, an outlet through which he reaches large groups of people who are likely placing trust in his knowledge of these things and may be visiting said outlet in an effort to make informed purchasing decisions with their hard-earned money. When misinformation is disseminated to those people in such a nonchalant fashion, not only is it hurting them if they ultimately make poor purchasing decisions (Skyrim PS3, for example), but it also hurts your reputation by association.

Are you kidding me? Anthony is a good hearted dude. He wouldn't have posted this had it not been sincere.
I didn't know if it actually was Anthony or not. Also, if he's sincere he'd post an apology on twitter, rather than this little corner of the internet most people will never see.
Edit: And he has... :)

The_Monk

Hey people,

Despite the fact that I was not one of the GAFfers who started wishing the worst for you or hating (I don't randomly hate anyone by the way and "hate" is such a strong word, if you ask me) I must admit that judging every single member of such a great community to be what you wrote they were in that twitter it was not nice to say the least.

Regarding the part where you mentioned you didn't understand why people were ragging at Mitch then you can always go to the thread that got locked and discover the reason why. As for my opinion I posted there too but here it is:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101881289&postcount=867

We are all human and we all have bad days, guess you just had a very poor selection of words but you managed to be humble enough to come by and apologize. I think that should be taking into consideration of those that cursed back at you too. As for myself I'm just happy that you understood that it was a mistake. In my opinion and, for future reference I don't think cursing or pointing fingers solve anything, ever. Same goes for judging an entire community only because you saw some less positive or rude comments. I hope you can stay around, post and have fun. There are great people in here who have a big love and respect for the gaming industry who only wish the best for this business and hobby.

Yeah, I am genuinely sorry. I don't like to upset anyone, which is usually why I just don't say much on twitter. An angry moment and a cellphone together made me upset a lot of good people. Do I super duper love Mitch? Hell yes, I love all my friends, including arthur who gets repeatedly savaged on here. But i said something out of anger instead of thinking it through. Hopefully everyone here can remember moments in life where they've done the same thing and hear me now and realize, "hey, everyone makes mistakes." So yeah, to the people who missed the last apology: I AM SORRY, GAF.
I somehow think the majority of the people on here who were annoyed will be fine with you/your studio, if people were found that to a friend of mine would probably react in the same way, and there's nothing GAF likes like a good old fashioned apology (well, the moment of drama is loved a little more, but its a close call).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If Mr.Chufmoney here(the apology is appreciated, by the way) doesn't think there's any perceptible difference between 720p and 1080p unless the display is 50inches or bigger, he's a bit ignorant. That wasn't an implusive stab, like his generalization was. Thats just a pure display of ignorance. I think some people are oversensitive to the phrase 'ignorant', which literally just means 'lacking knowledge', which he does if that's what he thinks. I can forgive people for ignorance, given they don't go spewing it around as fact even after being taught otherwise. Its no harm to not know something. In his line of work, its something you'd expect somebody to be a little more aware of though, even if its not something that he's particularly receptive to. Its a bit confounding, but like I said, wasn't even my main issue.
You're assuming that everyone is similar abled. It's not a fact that you can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Are you an ableist?

IGN is well known for their affirmative action hiring process where visually impaired people are welcome to sign up for the Xbox team.

graywolf323

Hey people,

thanks for the apology Chuf ^_^

Chufmoney

Neo Member
I didn't know if it actually was Anthony or not. Also, if he's sincere he'd post an apology on twitter, rather than this little corner of the internet most people will never see.
Edit: And he has... :)

The point of doing it here was to put it out to the very people I insulted.

Big-E

Hey people,

My only problem is with the bolded. Mitch's employer is IGN, a site people go to for information about entertainment. Mitch's primary job in this industry is to inform consumers. When you spread misinformation, you are doing a disservice to your customers, whether you know it or not. Now the reason why a lot of GAF got outraged is not because of the distance debate. Mitch was just going off those charts which are accurate for movie content but not for games. That is an honest mistake. The big mistake Mitch made, which so many people in the games industry do, is when presented with facts as to why the information is wrong, don't admit their mistake. They double down on the misinformation. If Mitch said he made a mistake, the thread never would have gotten so big. He double downed on false truths and kicked the hornet's nest with his going outside comments. People make mistakes but so many people in this industry are not strong enough to admit them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey people,

People were ragging on him because he isn't just 'some guy' making ignorant comments about resolution. He is representing a major gaming based internet site, so his words have weight. And with that he should be a little careful where he gets his information from and how he presents it to his audience.

edit: Also what Big-E just said.

and - rumoured consumer VR device? Hmm. Could be the OR I guess. Or could be a Sony one?

StuBurns

Banned
I'm sure the apology is sincere, and I think he's a super nice guy, I remember him from GFW, but the 'stuff about TVs' is really irritating. If someone wants to support their friend, they should at least bother to know why people were pissed and not trivialise it.

As for the game, shipping so soon after every PS4 owner got Outlast for free is beyond idiotic, it's going to completely flatline.

So can you die in this game??

For some reason I don't get the feeling that you can.. Like it's a Scary Puzzle type of thing.

Also: I appreciate the apology. Accepted

Mr Git

Appreciate the apology, although I should point out a good friend points out when their friends are behaving like dicks. And in Mitch's case, he made several comments that should have been called out, not defended.

@ chufmoney

The apology is much appreciated cause I was looking forward to this game so much.

And I understand sometimes people put their foot in there mouth. Everyone does it. It's just you are representing a game and brand and gamers do not take things lightly. So just be careful... We will be watching haha

Man, i want somebody make a new thread with this and nobody buys his game...

Damn, some of you are sensitive. It was said tongue in cheek. If Sony said everyone who drives a Mustang is an asshole, I wouldn't take a shit on my PS4 and burn it.

It was an overly broad statement, those are usually not meant to be taken seriously, especially in this case.

cfresh

Neo Member
Base on his work at IGN and listening to his podcasts, Anthony is a really good guy y'all. I for one can't wait to play Daylight.

OneUh8

Hey people,

No worries! It takes more of a man to admit he is wrong and apologize.

I am looking forward to your game and can't wait to play it.

Shaneus

I still don't know how not being able to differentiate between 1080p and 720p has to be a thing you need to be told. Can't one tell for themselves and make their own judgement?

FWIW I know of plenty of games on 360 that were either 1080p, 720p or somehwere in-between and I could quite easily tell the difference between them from my couch. But if someone was told that's impossible, perhaps I stand corrected and my eyes were lying to me.

G_Berry

Banned
Personally I think he shouldn't need to apologize, especially to GAF.

Why do we (GAF) get to insult and shit on whoever we want without consequence?

Shaneus

Personally I think he shouldn't need to apologize, especially to GAF.

Why do we (GAF) get to insult and shit on whoever we want without consequence?
GAF isn't a single thing, it's a collective of people. It's like saying all Christians are assholes when really only a tiny percentage are Westboro-level nutters.

Fair enough to call out some people on a forum, but calling out the entire forum is a stupid overstatement which, while appealing to those in the enthusiast press (see: Gies on-cue comment) is bound to ruffle feathers outside of that circle.

Top Bottom