• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Entertainment announces new slate of Hanna-Barbera Comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Flintstones-promo.jpg

Fred Redfield's going to punch rocks here and there!

Dicer

Banned
I think it all looks pretty awesome, Shaggy and Warrior Brak especially...

Edit: ^ Helllllllllo there Betty

Velma looks like she's the kid of the group now.
She looks smaller than Scooby Doo.

The Mean Machine will make or break this title, mark my words.

Isn't Scooby a Great Dane? Those can be massive. A very large Great Dane could feasibly weigh more than a small woman.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Thundarr was Ruby-Spears though, wasn't he? I think the Time Warner umbrella retained some rights to him (since he was on Boomerang about 5 years ago), but not sure how far those rights extend.

Yup. Although I'm not sure how the rights have shaken out either. The DVD collection is branded under its Hanna Barbera collection.

ezekial45

Banned
Logical end result of the fan work economy: nonsensical fanart reimaginings, and pointless crossovers.

Fuckin' dumb.
To be fair, the old cartoons had crossovers as well. Space Ghost had a special episode where he met The Herculoids and Shazzan. Plus he made an appearance in an episode of the Batman Brave and the Bold, so this isn't entirely new.

This line seems very sharply, and oddly, split between more traditional takes on the characters (Flintstones, Future Quest) and more radical, grim-and-gritty revamps (post?-apocalyptic Scooby-Doo, Mad Max-inspired Wacky Races). Not sure quite what they're going for here.

Slayven

This line seems very sharply, and oddly, split between more traditional takes on the characters (Flintstones, Future Quest) and more radical, grim-and-gritty revamps (post?-apocalyptic Scooby-Doo, Mad Max-inspired Wacky Races). Not sure quite what they're going for here.

Maybe they are going for a Convergence

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The herculoids coming back looks dope, and for i dont know how many times, im not down with yet another scooby doo revision

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Down for more Space Ghost. I liked the series he had a few years back.

Plus it has baller art by Alex Ross:
That looks dope af. I'm down for some Space Ghost and Wacky Races. Not liking the try-hard gritty reboot art of Scooby Doo. That said, that douchy tribal tattoo is exactly the type of poor decision making I would expect a modern day Fred to make.

Future Quest looks like it could be lots of fun, but the rest of that shit...I mean it's not like you can't do a more dark/adult take on Scooby Doo *coughMystery Incorporatedcough*, but this looks more like a bad parody of the kind of shitty "Manga-esque" take on franchises you'd see back in the early 2000s.

Also, can someone explain to me why WB doesn't leverage DC to do the comic tie ins to Cartoon Network shows instead of liscening them out to IDW/Boom/etc?

I am so down for Wacky Race Land. Also, totally happy to give the Scooby Apocalypse a shot based off of the Wizard Shaggy and Space Marine Daphne artwork. Flintstones would require getting used to.

The rest of the stuff I'm not actually familiar with. They weren't really huge in the UK, especially during the 90s when I was growing up. Looks interesting though. I'll probably check some of them out.

Penguin

I don't see the Scooby-Doo thing anymore silly than them teaming up with KISS or the WWE or the Three Stooges

It's a silly franchise that has almost always been in a state of change or experimentation.

pbayne

Yo wacky races.

I remember my brother bullshitting me and convinced me there was a hidden episode where dick dastardly wins a race.

That scooby doo art is one of the worst things I've ever seen. Trendy haircut shaggy with gross curled mustache and sleeve of tattoos is so so bad.

Johnny Quest and Space Ghost I can fuck with tho

FoneBone

I love Amanda Conner, but I do not think her style meshes well with the Flintstones characters.

Future Quest, if nothing else, should be worth reading - the last Parker/Shaner collaboration (Convergence: Shazam) was top-notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom