• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus |OT| ( + )( + )

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tutorial is Hitomi, so basically stun->5PP->9P5PPPPP if I remember right.

It should have commands for that anyway.

Ken

It gives a few commands to start a critical stun but doesn't say what to follow up with.

Ok, got it, so with the announcement of DOA5U should I just not bother picking up 5+? I originally wanted to get 5+ to learn DOA.

Skilletor

It gives a few commands to start a critical stun but doesn't say what to follow up with.

Ok, got it, so with the announcement of DOA5U should I just not bother picking up 5+? I originally wanted to get 5+ to learn DOA.

You should still play this game. I doubt much will change.

The announcement has me wanting to play again, though. School almost done. YAAAAAAAAAY!

TheSeks

Start the critical stun and then just PPPPK or PPPPP. The tutorial is Hitomi in 5+ so once you launcher you can juggle really fast with her punches to a 5-10 hit combo.

Ken

You should still play this game. I doubt much will change.

The announcement has me wanting to play again, though. School almost done. YAAAAAAAAAY!

Is there a lot of single player content? I can't imagine online being very beginner friendly this far out.

Skilletor

Is there a lot of single player content? I can't imagine online being very beginner friendly this far out.

A significant amount between story mode, the challenges, all of the costumes to unlock.

I don't know, hard for me to say since I don't know what is considered single player content. It's all just fighting the AI to me. :p

Ken

The tutorial is pretty brutal. I can't land a single expert hold on the AI lol. Seems like I'd need fast reflexes to correctly input for 6 different possible attacks...unless I'm missing something simple?

TheSeks

No you basically got it. You have to read their attacks (which should be simple after a bit) and then counter. The problem is countering with inputs to remember.

TheSeks

Eh, you don't need expert holds in general. Just good hold timing.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Tonight I'm searching for ranked matches. Keep getting my ass handed to me by some S rank Lisa, but it's all good experience.

Ken

What's up with holds in the middle of combos? I think Ryu and Mila have something like that in their combo challenges.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
What's up with holds in the middle of combos? I think Ryu and Mila have something like that in their combo challenges.
They cancel animations in certain combos. You'll notice Mila goes for a jab that doesn't connect and grab instead.

Bog

Junior Ace
Is the demo 2,589 MB? I was looking back through my download list and saw DOA5+ with that file size, but the word demo is nowhere on it. I don't remember buying it...

TheSeks

Is the demo 2,589 MB? I was looking back through my download list and saw DOA5+ with that file size, but the word demo is nowhere on it. I don't remember buying it...

The demo is the full game just locked out. So no, the demo isn't different.

TheSeks

4P+K. Because Hayabusa's charging, the AI can't "read" it properly. It requires good timing and a rhythm and making sure you don't get guarded.

Jill Sandwich

Got up to 23 with Lei Fang's version of that, then along comes someone who gets a single hit in then unblockable combos me to death.

TheSeks

That's the problem. But you have to let them hit you. Don't try to parry it. Let them knock you to the ground, 2H wake-up and then block and punish IIRC.

It's all luck even with Lisa's method because you'll run into Akira at level 80 that'll absolutely destroy you.

I don't remember running into a single AFK'er in Tekken or SC personally. It only happens so often in this game since you can unlock the swimsuits and characters just by playing ranked since the patch.

What is going on with this game? Online has been a MESS lately, and I'm not even talking about the matchmaking.

Network errors basically every fight, S-ranks showing up as F-ranks once the fight actually starts, freezing in the menus...

If Team Ninja expects me to even give DOA5U a second thought, they need to fucking overhaul whatever network setup they've got going.

Shameful.

Damn I am complete garbage at this game right now. I just went 1-35 with the only person who joined my room. I know I just started playing this, but it was pretty embarrassing.

TheSeks

The S-ranks has been in reverse for me actually. It was F-ranks showing up as S-ranks in ranked matchmaking when I was still playing online.

TheSeks

Player matches count toward online played, unless you're going for the outfits there's no reason to not play player/lobbies on the PS3 version. The portable version doesn't count player/private matches towards the online matches played.

Jill Sandwich

I wasn't getting any bites in Simple Match, I have more success with Ranked matches. I created a public lobby last night for one round quick matches, but after half an hour shut it due to no interest.
If there was a positive to be gained, I was doing pretty well against a S+ rank and he rage quit, which boosted me 500 points! I don't understand why though, he would have took a massive hit!

I randomly played Dead Or Alive 4 on 360 today.. to my surprise there was still quite a few players online. I thought the game would be dead because of DOA5, but I guess not. It's good to see, I still love DOA4 for some reason

I just bought a Vita two weeks ago and decided to download the demo of this so I could get some DOA on the go and my god, the graphical downgrade is atrocious. I understand the Vita is weaker than the PS3, but some of these textures are almost painful to look at. At least it runs perfectly I guess.

TheSeks

It's not that bad. The only visual downgrade that is super noticable is Hayabusa's default/Ninja Gaiden outfit.

It's not that bad. The only visual downgrade that is super noticable is Hayabusa's default/Ninja Gaiden outfit.

He's definitely one of the worst offenders unfortunately.

I think it looks amazing.

What about it looks amazing? I'm not trying to hate on the port or anything, in fact i would actually say that it's very good overall since it get's the most important aspect right, but saying it looks amazing seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Skilletor

He's definitely one of the worst offenders unfortunately.

What about it looks amazing? I'm not trying to hate on the port or anything, in fact i would actually say that it's very good overall since it get's the most important aspect right, but saying it looks amazing seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

It's the 2nd best looking portable fighter I've ever seen (I think UMvC3 is the most impressive). In motion, I think it looks comparable to its console counterparts. The fact that they managed to keep all of the background activities running, mostly, at a smooth 60fps is great. Especially when the console version itself didn't have the best textures (see the rooftop stage). My biggest gripe is the resolution.

Need dat Vita native res.

It's the 2nd best looking portable fighter I've ever seen (I think UMvC3 is the most impressive). In motion, I think it looks comparable to its console counterparts. The fact that they managed to keep all of the background activities running, mostly, at a smooth 60fps is great. Especially when the console version itself didn't have the best textures (see the rooftop stage). My biggest gripe is the resolution.

Need dat Vita native res.

Those are good points and I'll admit there are times where I do think it looks decent so my other post may have been a little hyperbolic, but there are still those moments where it looks terrible to me.

And this is slightly unrelated, but what is up with Hitomi's second outfit(the varsity jacket thing)? Why are her sneakers suddenly different looking? Was my download bugged or something(I did eventually buy the full version, it will be useful for when I go on vacation or when someone else is on the PS3)? It's very strange to me that something like that would happen.

Another thing, is anyone elses LiveArea screen all smushed together?

I've been having a terrible online experience the past week or so in this game. I'm not even talking about the netcode either. I either run into someone completely terrible or run into someone who completely destroys me. I can't seem to find a middle ground here. And those rare times I do, the other player leaves after like 1 or 2 matches. It's a bit frustrating honestly, since it feels like I haven't gotten any better partly because of this. Hopping from one extreme to another is not very helpful.

dreamfall

I've been having a terrible online experience the past week or so in this game. I'm not even talking about the netcode either. I either run into someone completely terrible or run into someone who completely destroys me. I can't seem to find a middle ground here. And those rare times I do, the other player leaves after like 1 or 2 matches. It's a bit frustrating honestly, since it feels like I haven't gotten any better partly because of this. Hopping from one extreme to another is not very helpful.

Hey me too! Literally waiting for a game takes close to 5 minutes, even on ranked. Some major slowdown, and problematic finishes/saving.

But I've been on a kick- we've been playing on PS3, but I'll gladly play with anyone Vita. I don't know what inspired a more serious commitment to the game, but it's been a ton of fun. Vita fighters add me- if you want to play! PSN: arha2

Oh, and I'm not good. But it's fun!

TheSeks

Thanks, Tecmo for giving me the Cheerleader's free for buying the bikini's months back. :lol

dreamfall

I hit C- today! For me, that's pretty darn good!

Been playing on and off, while away from the PS3. It certainly does take a bit of time to get into matches, even when Ranked.

But it holds up really well- some crazy Ryu players keep destroying me.

Top Bottom