• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Watch_Dogs: please take note. (New Infamous Second Son Screenshots Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

Yeah the graphical comparison is valid.
It's really not valid in any way. Cross-gen multiplatform title will not match an exclusive on the most powerful console. There's a reason why certain games are not cross-gen (The Witcher 3, FFXV and the like) and that's because PS360 would hold them back. A lot.

StuBurns

Banned
It's really not valid in any way. Cross-gen multiplatform title will not match an exclusive on the most powerful console. There's a reason why certain games are not cross-gen (The Witcher 3, FFXV and the like) and that's because PS360 would hold them back. A lot.
Not really, Tomb Raider DE looks pretty much as good as any other PS4 game.

Mathezar

Damn, the traversal looks like it feels so much better than anything out of Assassin's Creed or Watch Dogs. In the Ubisoft games it feels like your character snaps to climbable objects thus having the feeling of restrictiveness, it misses the fluidity and loose-ness inFamous seems to have...

I might have to get this once I have a PS4.

Amir0x

Banned

Of course, I just meant it's valid to compare the visuals of two open world games. It is. One is obviously not going to look as good because it's being held back by cross gen considerations, I'd agree. But it's a good marker to see the jumps we've made. From GTAV -> Watch Dogs -> inFamous: Second Son.

Kinyou

Yeah, that's always been one of the flaws in the series.
From what I could tell in one of the gameplay videos, are the cars one the road still a little like robots. Meaning they just drive around and just stop if you hit them, but you actually never see someone entering or exiting a car. Not sure if putting that in would have put an extra burden on the hardware or if it's just a time/budget thing

iceatcs

From what I could tell in one of the gameplay videos, are the cars one the road still a little like robots. Meaning they just drive around and just stop if you hit them, but you actually never see someone entering or exiting a car. Not sure if putting that in would have put an extra burden on the hardware or if it's just a time/budget thing

Only sole reason is time/budget - See at GTA or Saint Row.

Rockstar - 700 employees worked on it.
Volition - 250 employees worked on it.

AI is a massive coding job, way more writing than graphics engine (apart from the maths). Thousands NPC's AI required lot of programmers, not just one or 3, but 100.

I'm late to the discussion but..

Those jeans, wow, much raw selvege
This is how you do open world gaming on next-gen.
1979980_10203498015870178_423492777_o.jpg

&

Excellent edit.

God this looks beautiful, really can't wait to play it.

The gif is specially amazing, how the mood is affected by the weather and time of day...

Famassu

Not really, Tomb Raider DE looks pretty much as good as any other PS4 game.
Certain kind of games are more affected than others and they put got almost a year of development time to put those improvements into TR DE. Open-world games are more demanding to the hardware than such linear & tightly controlled experiences as Tomb Raider (the reason why, say, FFXV is not cross-gen is because the more open world-ish aspect of FFXV was causing problems if they wanted to keep making it for PS3 as well). Watch_Doge is releasing simultaneously on all platforms so they are resource-restricted in how much they can put effort into any single version. If Watch_Dogs PS4 & Xbone were released a year later than the PS360 versions, I'm sure they could make it look much closer to the 2012 trailer and I'd say we should wait for Watch_Dogs 2which, if made, (hopefully) won't be a cross-gen game to see just what they can do on PS4Bone level hardware.

Usobuko

Banned
I'll wait for impressions but this is probably the only PS4 game thus far I would pick up when I get my console eventually in 2014/2015, mainly because there aren't news of localisation and stuff.

Anyway, I thought it looks really good here.

Jeb

Wasn't it the thing Ubisoft was known for is releasing bullshots, I don't think showing screens is the best way to "show em", since not trusting those was the whole moral of the story.
Edit:It's been leaked?
My bad, thought it was from Sucker Punch.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wasn't it the thing Ubisoft was known for is releasing bullshots, I don't think showing screens is the best way to "show em", since not trusting those was the whole moral of the story.
This is a screenshot taken by a person from GAF using the PS4 Share button on an early retail copy.

Famassu

Of course, I just meant it's valid to compare the visuals of two open world games. It is. One is obviously not going to look as good because it's being held back by cross gen considerations, I'd agree. But it's a good marker to see the jumps we've made. From GTAV -> Watch Dogs -> inFamous: Second Son.
Ah, yes, well, of course you can compare all games that way. :) But the kind of "lol, Y U so shitty Ubisoft, look @ dat inFamous" argument doesn't really work.

StuBurns

Banned
Certain kind of games are more affected than others and they put got almost a year of development time to put those improvements into TR DE. Open-world games are more demanding to the hardware than such linear & tightly controlled experiences as Tomb Raider (the reason why, say, FFXV is not cross-gen is because the more open world-ish aspect of FFXV was causing problems if they wanted to keep making it for PS3 as well). Watch_Doge is releasing simultaneously on all platforms so they are resource-restricted in how much they can put effort into any single version. If Watch_Dogs PS4 & Xbone were released a year later than the PS360 versions, I'm sure they could make it look much closer to the 2012 trailer and I'd say we should wait for Watch_Dogs 2which, if made, (hopefully) won't be a cross-gen game to see just what they can do on PS4Bone level hardware.
But they have massive resources, someone in the thread the other day said they're a team of eight hundred, and it's been in development for over five years. You could make ten InFamous Second Sons with that.

And when GTAV PS4/XBO is revealed, it's going to look very significantly better than Watch Dogs I would imagine.

I'm sure cross-gen is a disadvantage, but there's a certain point when the resources really take the edges off that argument I think.

jacobeid

Banned
And herein this thread we have Sucker Punch shitting all over Ubi.

Ubi delayed the game to polish it. I no longer have any inkling of desire for that game. I'm sure I'm not the only sake they lost or on by not releasing on launch day.

TheLaw

Banned
Never trust in Ubisoft, I still remember those Ghost Recon Future Soldier reveal and the final game was dogshit looking.

Famassu

But they have massive resources, someone in the thread the other day said they're a team of eight hundred, and it's been in development for over five years. You could make ten InFamous Second Sons with that.

And when GTAV PS4/XBO is revealed, it's going to look very significantly better than Watch Dogs I would imagine.

I'm sure cross-gen is a disadvantage, but there's a certain point when the resources really take the edges off that argument I think.
Well, often those kinds of massive teams are just mismanaged and I doubt it has been 800 people for 5 years or anything, the team-size has been building up during that 5 years. Also, we don't know how big Watch_Dogs' world is. If it's several times bigger than inFamous' + has lots of indoor locations, that would explain some of the disparity in team sizes, in addition to having to have a lot of people porting it to so many different kinds of platforms.

I also wouldn't forget differences in how much interactivity you have in the game world and what the gameplay is like otherwise. While inFamous will likely be fun and it's impressive looking, it's somewhat straightforward and, from what I can see based on trailers, you don't have control over the world like you do in Watch_Dogs. Adding that kind of interactivity is pretty complex to create, so it's, again, another thing that might explain a bit why Sucker Punch can make inFamous with a team of, what, ~100 people (+ outsourcing?) while Ubisoft has such insanely big teams for their games.

Famassu

And herein this thread we have Sucker Punch shitting all over Ubi.

Ubi delayed the game to polish it. I no longer have any inkling of desire for that game. I'm sure I'm not the only sake they lost or on by not releasing on launch day.
Wouldn't you rather have a more polished, better game than a rushed launch day product? Your logic sounds so... illogical. I mean, it's not like PS4 & Xbone are going to drown in games after March and inFamous & Titanfall. Around summer, there will quite likely be a drought of games and Watch_Dogs seems to fill that gap pretty nicely.

I think zack is right

Watch Dogs:
Supposedly has dynamic wind cycles that effect everything in the environment
ability to drive cars makes an open world game more complex since it has to handle the physics, ragdolls. etc

infamous
1 dude just jumping, flying super fast
no cars - no need to worry about pedestrians, ragdolls and collision physics
no wind simulation

plus watch dogs is being developed for 4 or 5 different platform so ubisoft can't pay special attention just one version.

bad comparison is bad

game still looks great though

Other than the fact you can still blow up those cars, have them flip over and interact with other cars as well as attacking pedestrians…

Loudninja

Has this been posted here before?

If this is true Second Son got an equal graphical downgrade as Watch Dogs:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/In...n-Downgraded-PS4-Says-Sucker-Punch-62804.html

But even if not graphical a hit, Second Son will be a good game.
No.

Different time of day in the scene.

Yeah, easy guys. Not believing anything anymore till I see streams from a retail version.
There were alot fo streams and these pics are from gaf users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom