• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December 2013 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes January 13

I figured. So PS4 still maintains the lead even though it had supply issues? I'd say that's a win for Sony. Microsoft is still playing catch-up.

Sony spreading themselves thin though. The US is an important market. Maybe they should redirect supplies from markets they already have locked up to the US

Both PS4 and XB1 numbers are on the low side considering their announcements. :/

Although the PS4 launched in several countries and also had pretty strong continental European sales comparatively.

As I suspected...but X1 not breaking a mil with the stock trackers saying it was widely available? A little worrying I would say.

Road

We don't know how much it sold outside North America.

We don't even know how much it sold inside North America.

NA = US + MX + CA, but we only know US.

Also:

"Together, Xbox One and Xbox 360 held 46 percent of the hardware market share in the U.S. and showed a 10 percent year over year growth from December 2012."

1551k (1 / 0.46 - 1) = ~1820k

+/- 1820k between PS3 + PS4 + Wii U + Wii?

Darksol

Technically, this is December NPD, so we've still got January to contend with, heh.

Anyway, unsurprising result really. Would've been a madhouse otherwise.

Oops my bad. That's what I meant.

Now to kill my last few hours at work watching the inevitable bans and drama ^_^

Foshy

Both PS4 and XB1 numbers are on the low side considering their announcements. :/
How are they low, exactly? Sony sold pretty much every single PS4 they could produce and even though XB1 might be overstocked it still sold a lot compared to previous launches.

I think we all had unreasonable expectations.

Since the economic collapse in October 2008, retailers have been trying to get what little money people have out of their wallets ASAP, so they've been majorly pushing up November advertising to get that first (and sometimes last) buck from consumer pockets. That's led to a decrease in December multipliers, I think.

Excellent visual example of the post-2008 November retailer push adjusting historical trends. :)

Interesting theory.

We'll see...next year...if that holds true. It could just be the age of these machines - they're not the hot Christmas items they used to be. It wasn't true, for example, of the one viable new machine the last 2 years - the 3DS' last 2 Decembers were more than double November.

Riki

As I suspected...but X1 not breaking a mil with the stock trackers saying it was widely available? A little worrying I would say.

Anecdotal, but I've seen them everywhere around here for the past month (Central Illinois).
And PS4s are easy enough to find.
Definitely aren't seeing a repeat of the Wii in terms of demand.

kswiston

Okay thank you... so ~1.2m for the other 12 markets... seems optimistically probable?

What about PS4, if they didn't win Dec NPD then they did very well everywhere else.

Numbers from Sony and NPD suggest that PS4 has at least 1M units on the XB1 outside of the US.

Anecdotal, but I've seen them everywhere around here for the past month (Central Illinois).
And PS4s are easy enough to find.
Definitely aren't seeing a repeat of the Wii in terms of demand.

Not anecdotal when you use the stock tracking sites that M. Nelson provided...they have been in stock at a majority of the tracked stores since well before Christmas.

Not to mention Amazon where the X1 is just always in stock, but large shipments of PS4s sell out in hours, if not minutes still.

How are they low, exactly? Sony sold pretty much every single PS4 they could produce and even though XB1 might be overstocked it still sold a lot compared to previous launches.

I think we all had unreasonable expectations.
If the PS4 number is closer to 700K it's on the low side. But as noted in my edit, the 4.2M includes launches and much stronger European sales.

1.8M cumulative for the XB1 in the US seems low, since taking the 300K in the UK, and say 100K in AU and a generous 200K for Canada, they're still well shy of 3M. The known continental Europe sales haven't been particularly strong from memory.

GAF is not one person. If the majority of GAF seems to be going against MS, then that is only representative of the views of gamers as a whole. Which console do you see on store shelves still?

Please tell me you aren't being serious? That is the argument you want to run with?

Because people on Gaf hate the Xbox, it must be true?

The people who post on Gaf are the last group of people you want to use as an indicator of how the general public is receiving a product.

"Gamers as a whole." I laughed when i read that.

rokkerkory

Numbers from Sony and NPD suggest that PS4 has at least 1M units on the XB1 outside of the US.

I would say that is fair and PS4 is only going to gain ground once supply picks up. MS lucky with PS4 supply being fairly constrained.

Going to put MS in the trenches in their most critical territories and do battle with marketing and exclusives.

Good ole fun coming for 2014.

More info from Major on his blog

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/xbox-one-december-npd

December 2013 NPD highlights include:

Total combined retail spend on the Xbox platform (Xbox One and Xbox 360) in December reached $1.39 billion, 50 percent of the combined software, hardware and accessories spend in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).
During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: “Battlefield 4,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Madden NFL 25” and “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

Fans continue to show their excitement for new generation Xbox One games, with U.S. consumers purchasing an average of 2.9 games* per console since launch.

*retail and digital (internal Microsoft data)

iammeiam

GAF is not one person. If the majority of GAF seems to be going against MS, then that is only representative of the views of gamers as a whole. Which console do you see on store shelves still?

I feel like judging actual popular gamer opinion in general based on relative GAF popularity/vocal opinion is a bad idea. See: the Vita. GAF isn't a hive mind, but it's also really not representitive of widespread common opinion.

Somnia

You guys saying the 3 million is a lie, are you doing some math?

1.8 in US
364k UK
100k Germany
65k+ in Australia

Thats 2.33 million from 4 of the 13 countries. I think the other 9 probably managed 670k. I could be wrong, who know.

rokkerkory

More info from Major on his blog

December 2013 NPD highlights include:

Total combined retail spend on the Xbox platform (Xbox One and Xbox 360) in December reached $1.39 billion, 50 percent of the combined software, hardware and accessories spend in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).
During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: “Battlefield 4,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Madden NFL 25” and “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

Fans continue to show their excitement for new generation Xbox One games, with U.S. consumers purchasing an average of 2.9 games* per console since launch.

Xbox family arises? :D

If the PS4 number is closer to 700K it's on the low side. But as noted in my edit, the 4.2M includes launches and much stronger European sales.

1.8M cumulative for the XB1 in the US seems low, since taking the 300K in the UK, and say 100K in AU and a generous 200K for Canada, they're still well shy of 3M. The known continental Europe sales haven't been particularly strong from memory.

#BrazilTeamXBox

They've been doing that since forever.

Only 6 though? Usually 8/9 out of 10 are multiplats, I guess there's Killzone and a few 3DS titles taking the other spots

3DS doesn't count, since it's next gen only. That means 4 titles in that top ten are Wii U or PS4 exclusive. Maybe SMW3D, Killzone, Knack etc.

They're using multi-plats to claim that they have 6 of the top 10 selling (next-gen) titles in December.

Also, 2.9 attach rate across physical and digital.
And new generation only.

XBox One was best selling console.
They would say system if they had beat the 3DS.
That's how is usually works.
No they wouldn't, check last month's prediction thread. We were led to believe 3DS was the best selling system in Nov and we all know what happened.

Occam

BTW, looking at December only is pretty meaningless, I'd much rather know the total amount of PS4s and Xbones sold in North America.

Top Bottom