• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Del Toro: "It makes no fucking sense Silent Hills is not happening"

MGSV cost 80m if reports are true. That's in no way shocking for an open-world game. It actually puts it on the lower side of open-world dev costs that we hear about nowadays. You simply can't make AAA open-world games like that on the cheap.

It's on the lower side of open world dev costs because they didn't finish it.

Silent Hills still hurts to read about.

While I'm not pleased by its cancellation I've gotten over it. The only thing I am upset by is that P.T. was taken down.
Also, I never want hear the word unfinished again. It's as meaningless/vague as broken or downgrade.

Well, you've only got to look at all the money Kojima burned through while making the far-from-finished MGSV to see that it does kinda make sense. I mean it breaks my heart that Silent Hills was cancelled, but I get why it's cancelled.
Who cares? His game still managed to be critically acclaimed and for sure is going to make a ton of profit for Konami! It makes no sense Silent Hills is not getting made.

Betty

Banned
It really doesn't make sense.

I mean yes, Konami are all about going for the top dollar, so naturally mobile here we come!

But Silent Hills would have made bank, not stupendously HUGE bank, but still enough to be worth the investment.

It could've been the first real, great Silent Hill game since 3.

I mean yes, Konami are all about going for the top dollar, so naturally mobile here we come!

But Silent Hills would have made bank, not stupendously HUGE bank, but still enough to be worth the investment.

We don't know that or if it was a "good" game.

I miss this game every day.

Playing MGSV reminds me of the game.

Watching The Walking Dead reminds me of the game.

Seeing previews for Crimson Peak reminds me of the game.

Loakum

Banned

It would had surpassed the legendary Silent Hill 3. Hell, P.T.'s demo practically does this already. I feel Silent Hills would had done to horror video games what the Exorcist done to horror movies!

synce

I don't know anymore, after finishing MGS5. It was a pretty game with nice controls, but Kojima's inexperience with open world really showed. I'm not sure he would've fared any better with horror. Would be much more upset if the original team was behind the new game

Work with Kojima anyway on a spiritual revival of this game; just sneeze towards any publisher and you'll be funded. Don't forget the Walking Dead actor and Junji Ito as well.

Betty

Banned
We don't know that or if it was a "good" game.

P.T alone was better than anything that came after Silent Hill 3, and yes I'm including Silent Hill 4 and Shattered Memories in that round up.

It would had surpassed the legendary Silent Hill 3. Hell, P.T.'s demo practically does this already. I feel Silent Hills would had done to horror video games what the Exorcist done to horror movies!

You're probably not wrong.

P.T alone was better than anything that came after Silent Hill 3, and yes I'm including Silent Hill 4 and Shattered Memories in that round up.

You're probably not wrong.
I guess. I don't think it's as locked down as you think it is. It sounds like they had great ideas but no serious development was done, so it could have gone any way.

Brhoom

Banned
I don't want to remember...
giphy.gif

Docpan

Wait, did he just say Last of Us came AFTER Silent Hills.

Wait, what?

How long was P.T. in development for again?

Slair

Wait, did he just say Last of Us came AFTER Silent Hills.

Wait, what?

How long was P.T. in development for again?

That's what he said by the looks of it.

Fucking hell, someone leak everything that they did on Silent Hills before it was cancelled. I need to get this shit out of my system in one swift move.

Raitaro

I miss this game every day.

Playing MGSV reminds me of the game.

Watching The Walking Dead reminds me of the game.

Seeing previews for Crimson Peak reminds me of the game.

For me it's actually Castlevania I start longing for in your first example.

MGSV's open world seems like it would be an incredible fit for an open world Castlevania game in which you can freely visit hamlets, forests and caves in order to gradually become strong enough to tackle Dracula's castle that you always see towering at the horizon. Just imagine Dark Souls (for the combat) + Lords of Shadow (for its presentation and overal vibe) + Phantom Pain (for its open world design with great looking natural elements and weather effects) and add some platforming and climbing for optimum effect. I do wish we'd get Silent Hills, very much in fact, but such a Castlevania would qualify as a dream game for me even more strongly.

Can Konami just surprise us with a few cool game announcements please, you know, just to back up their promises and reassurances with actual deeds? Re-announcing Silent Hills or any Castlevania at all would go a very long game in winning back my trust at least.

sjay1994

You know... even though Konami was the one who stabbed the knife

Del Toro is just twisting it everytime he talks about SH

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
He right it does not make sense, Konami should have got Kojima to finish Silent Hills after the reception the P.T demo got.
it's like they hit a goldmine and said fuck it, move on.

SephLuis

Silent Hills just became this shadow over everyone. The teaser was amazing, the team behind it was amazing, the tech they had was amazing, and the project was cancelled.

It was one of those that could push the envelope really far or end up as one of the biggest disappointments ever.

I guess by next year we will see what road this will take. If Kojima remains at Konami, I don't think they would stop him to make Silent Hills (even at a lesser budget or at a higher risk for himself). If he doesn't, he could try to get financial support for a similar project.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
That's what he said by the looks of it.

Fucking hell, someone leak everything that they did on Silent Hills before it was cancelled. I need to get this shit out of my system in one swift move.

That would not be wise because there is no place to put the anger.
Everyday you wake up knowing that this will not be. Every holloween you sigh as the kids get their candy and are is not impressed with the "scares".

The void will be there for all eternity.

BadWolf

Yeah it is quite tragic considering how incredible MGSV is and how much impact P.T. has had on people despite being just a short demo.

At least we can look forward to something brand new from Kojima once he finds a new home.

Arttemis

If Kojima goes to Sony, this could be a reality. It won't be Silent Hills, but just as good.

Sony doesn't abandon things they have faith in - just look at The Last Guardian!

You know... even though Konami was the one who stabbed the knife

Del Toro is just twisting it everytime he talks about SH

Imagine being Del Toro then, there must be a thousand knives twisting every time someone brings Silent Hills up.

I don't know how the guy who cancelled the game sleeps without being haunted by Lisa every night.

Nuke Soda

Imagine being Del Toro then, there must be a thousand knives twisting every time someone brings Silent Hills up.

I don't know how the guy who cancelled the game sleeps without being haunted by Lisa every night.

Plus isn't this the second game Del Toro has worked on that got canned. Probably feeling a little unlucky with video games.

Top Bottom