• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Del Toro: "It makes no fucking sense Silent Hills is not happening"

joecanada

oh well at this point can't we all just go to his latest horror movie and not give money to konami?

Im going on halloween night.

Pilgrimzero

Well, you've only got to look at all the money Kojima burned through while making the far-from-finished MGSV to see that it does kinda make sense. I mean it breaks my heart that Silent Hills was cancelled, but I get why it's cancelled.

This. After the 80 million into an unfinished MGSV, I can see why Konami bailed.

Though instead of burning bridges they could have tried setting limits and managing.

Failure on both sides.

Its not right, its just not fair. This was a match made in MOTHERFUCKING HEAVEN and it was destroyed before it was even alive, I just...I

angela_fire2.jpg

Satch

Banned
it makes plenty of sense

konami ruins everything they touch. they touched PT. PT is dead. it makes perfect sense

Ratrat

This. After the 80 million into an unfinished MGSV, I can see why Konami bailed.

Though instead of burning bridges they could have tried setting limits and managing.

Failure on both sides.
How much of that budget went into the engine? And Silent Hills would have been episodic so it wouldnt be released 'unfinished'.

Arguably the greatest living director and one of the greatest living game designers were going to make a game based on one of the most beloved horror franchises in the history of gaming.

And Konami shit the bed and pulled the plug.

I swear to god this will go down as one of the greatest injustices in gaming EVER.

Go_Ly_Dow

Yoshida please? :(

Approach Konami and offer co-development with Japan Studio and a bit of funding in exchange for starting up development again.

Kojima and Del Torro can sign up with Japan Studio too.

Please! This game had such high amounts of buzz its a massive, massive shame to see it go this way.

Yoshida please? :(

Approach Konami and offer co-development with Japan Studio and a bit of funding in exchange for starting up development again.

Kojima and Del Torro can sign up with Japan Studio too.

Please! This game had such high amounts of buzz its a massive, massive shame to see it go this way.

fuck that. get kojima and del toro. make it a new IP and leave konami in the dust

Go_Ly_Dow

fuck that. get kojima and del toro. make it a new IP and leave konami in the dust

They don't have the Fox Engine anymore and they don't have 10 of millions of dollars in funding to get a project like this up and running.

S-E once purchased the unfinished True Crimes game from Activision, finished development and turned it in to a new I.P (Sleeping Dogs).

The best best for this game is for Sony to come and do something similar. Take whatever state development was at from Konami, rebrand and finish the game themselves.

It's a quicker avenue then purchasing the Silent Hills I.P (which Konami wouldn't sell) or waiting for Kojima to figure out what he wants to do next.

gafneo

Banned
Silent Hills would have been a classic. It's like being in a world with no Zelda if Nintendo said" Mario and Zelda are no use. Let's dump it for Tiger Electronics."

It may be a good thing this got cancelled. At least everyone has a ridiculous dream to cling to instead of the hum drum reality where it would likely have got "decent" scores, spawned an outraged review thread a week or so before release, and begrudgingly admitted to have a pants on head stupid story when everything was said and done before it was more or less forgotten like most other reboots.

Arguably the greatest living director
Lol what am I reading?

They don't have the Fox Engine anymore and they don't have 10 of millions of dollars in funding to get a project like this up and running.

S-E once purchased the unfinished True Crimes game from Activision, finished development and turned it in to a new I.P (Sleeping Dogs).

The best best for this game is for Sony to come and do something similar. Take whatever state development was at from Konami, rebrand and finish the game themselves.

It's a quicker avenue then purchasing the Silent Hills I.P (which Konami wouldn't sell) or waiting for Kojima to figure out what he wants to do next.

it's a virtual guarantee that this game was barely off the ground. they don't need konami or the fox engine to make this game. forget konami. they'll just want it to be a microtransaction-fest.

kojima is certainly going to be taking a sizable chunk of kojima productions with him, that's your new studio. sony could team them up with japan studio and start a new game with these ideas. especially since silent hills was for all intents and purposes a reboot anyway.

Heroman

Banned
Guys, no one is dumb enough to hire Kojima,, Konami was the only place he had power at and anywhere else he goes wont put up with his bs.

i agree, that game would have put silent hill back on the map, pt was incredible, even my friend who don't really like horror games were extremely enamored by that game

Hatchtag

Banned
Find a new publisher and give it a different name.

Quiet Mountains
Sush Slopes
Muted Mounds
Incoherent Elevations
Reserved Ridges
Closed Mouth Cliffs
Hushed Bluffs

Aegryan

Neo Member
It's sad that Silent Hills isn't happening, but Guillermo Del Toro should be ignored.

He has spent 20 years making mediocre genre schlock, with Pan's Labyrinth being the sole exception and even that was a decade ago.

He has never shipped a single game. Precisely what was his contribution going to be?

Hideo Kojima; legendary game designer
Junji Ito; legendary horror manga artist
Guillermo Del Toro; ????

Movie directors are all the same when it comes to games; full of worthless noise. See also; Steven Spielberg. He should leave game development alone and if we're lucky he'll take David Cage with him.

Jeremy

fuck this shit man. I know everyone likes shitting on Kojima but he was doing forward thinking things and the industry just can't support it. MGS V is lacking so much in the areas that made the series what it was for a lot of people but the gameplay is almost fucking perfect and that's something that I felt can get very stagnant in video games from time to time as formulas are tweaked slowly or not at all under fresh coats of paint like a new IP or graphics.

Astery

I already got over it understanding it's too big of a financial gamble for little returns that most publishers will just not or cannot afford to take the risk for whatever good will or image for the little number of hardcore players.

wait, Junji Ito was involved in the project?
shit now I'm sad again. I loved this man's work more than del Toro, Norman Reedus and Koji pro combined.

Top Bottom