• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 crashes on PS4 Pro and 1080p?

KiDdYoNe

OP, that might be your Beta 5.0 firmware, if you have one. Seriously, my PS4 Pro was acting weird with that and crashed twice while I was surfing PS Store. Got back to 4.74 (or whatever's the latest) - no issues.
No issues with Destiny 2 also. About 30 hours of gameplay, not a problem.

YeSp

Neo Member
Still having the same issue. Have tried everything mentioned to fix it to no avail.
  • Installed the RoTR demo and it crashes almost imediatly.
  • Having crashes in Diablo3 as well.

Must the hardware then. Funny thing is I just got my PS4pro back from Sony because of overheating problems. They replaces the motheboard amongst other things. Luckely I have extended warrenty because of that.

Time to call Sony again for a replacement.

danowat

Banned
OP, that might be your Beta 5.0 firmware, if you have one. Seriously, my PS4 Pro was acting weird with that and crashed twice while I was surfing PS Store. Got back to 4.74 (or whatever's the latest) - no issues.
No issues with Destiny 2 also. About 30 hours of gameplay, not a problem.

It's not that, it's happening to people without the beta firmware.

Great, now I'm paranoid about my Pro. I haven't had any crashes but I also don't have any of problem games listed here. Maybe I should get RotTR Demo to make sure. How long does it usually take before crash occurs?

Mezoly

Great, now I'm paranoid about my Pro. I haven't had any crashes but I also don't have any of problem games listed here. Maybe I should get RotTR Demo to make sure. How long does it usually take before crash occurs?
Mine crashed 3 minutes in of actual gameplay during the climbing section. I didn't need to download the entire demo just until it was playable.

KingConan

I'm glad that I decided to wait with buying Destiny 2. My brother and me couldn't finish the first mission of the beta because of those crashes. We are both playing on a PS4 Pro and a 1080p TV, having no issues with any other games.

Hanmik

Still having the same issue. Have tried everything mentioned to fix it to no avail.
  • Installed the RoTR demo and it crashes almost imediatly.
  • Having crashes in Diablo3 as well.

Must the hardware then. Funny thing is I just got my PS4pro back from Sony because of overheating problems. They replaces the motheboard amongst other things. Luckely I have extended warrenty because of that.

Time to call Sony again for a replacement.

are you using the PSN Beta 5.0 ?

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Just to put a few nervous minds at ease, if you were thinking about buying the D2 Pro bundle, I played for 6 hours or so yesterday on a Pro from the D2 bundle and everything was smooth as silk. Incredible game and a marked improvement over D1.

ValeYard

Oh fuuuuuck no. So I had one crash in Destiny 2, otherwise ok, but I tried RotTR and got a crash during the first climbing sequence.

I'll play D2 tonight I see how I fare I guess. Not impressed if this truly is a hardware problem coming to light. Would be nice if Sony were upfront about it, lol.

Rellik

Same. I've been burned already by the poor quality of the launch PS4. I'm not going to be happy if the Pro starts giving me shit too.

ValeYard

Same. I've been burned already by the poor quality of the launch PS4. I'm not going to be happy if the Pro starts giving me shit too.

Yeah, this is REALLY bumming me out. I have the beta installed too, but, as mentioned already, only one D2 crash so far. But RotTR crashed nicely at the climbing sequence. I've played quite a bit of Diablo and don't remember it crashing at all.

martino

i'm 8 hours in on digital version and ps4 pro (at 1080p, boost checked) and no crash (2 sessions of ~4h)

I played for about 3 hours straight last night on Pro & 4K TV and no crashes for me. Did have an audio hiccup however.

Not in the OS Beta if that makes a difference.

hEist

Still no word from Bungie and PS on Twitter acting as if its a casual problem

yeah...
I guess we will not get any information regarding this problem this week.
it's just frustrating.

Already tried everything and nothing works. Still crashing every 15-30 minutes of gameplay.

This is sort of OT. I've had no crashes on Pro so far but crazy stuttering on the (what appear to be) pre-rendered cutscenes like the intro. Everything else seems to run fine. Anyone else encounter this?

Plopboy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on a standard PS4 with a physical copy and I get crashing every 10 minutes or so. I've rebuilt my database and still no joy. So I'm going to delete and reinstall everything again.

Didn't have a problem with Destiny 1 and all my other games both digital and physical work fine.

Fredrik

Honestly, talk like this plus a noisy launch PS4 and the talk about some Pro's being noisy is the only reasons why I don't own a Pro yet. I'm getting cautious by the quality variations. PS4 has been my main console this generation but at this point it looks like I'll jump into 4K on Xbox first. :/

Does it have to be the demo of rottr?

I've played through the entire game and had no crashes.

No it doesn't have to be the demo happens in the full game too. But the demo is available easily and free so its a good way to check.

And to anyone else no beta firmware makes no difference I'm not on it and I've been getting these crashes. Boost mode and like HDCP on or off is also no difference. Also tried turning resolution down to 720p and still crashing.

Bungie said they were talking to their partners probably meaning Sony. So im almost 100% certain Bungie cant do anything about it.

No it doesn't have to be the demo happens in the full game too. But the demo is available easily and free so its a good way to check.

And to anyone else no beta firmware makes no difference I'm not on it and I've been getting these crashes. Boost mode and like HDCP on or off is also no difference. Also tried turning resolution down to 720p and still crashing.

Bungie said they were talking to their partners probably meaning Sony. So im almost 100% certain Bungie cant do anything about it.

If it's truly hardware problem then Bungie can't do anything, except nerf graphics on the Pro so it doesn't stress the system as much, but then what would be even the point of having a Pro.

Crashes happening in multiple games is another indication of hardware fault.

ValeYard

If it's truly hardware problem then Bungie can't do anything, except nerf graphics on the Pro so it doesn't stress the system as much, but then what would be even the point of having a Pro.

Crashes happening in multiple games is another indication of hardware fault.

I'm going to just try and stay calm until we know more -- hopefully someone will come out and tell us the problem :/

Are we sure that "talking to partners" means that Bungie can't still be working with Sony on a solve?

As far as I can see: Diablo had a similar issue after a 4K update which was then fixed via update; RotTR has something similar going on.

Whether it's down to rendering in 4K, I'm not sure. With regard to RotTR I found a forum poster here called abrader who got a replacement pro, told everyone to replace theirs, only to have his replacement eventually freeze. *shrug*

This is bumming me out.

Edit: just looked on the bungie.net thread too, and it's not just launch pros apparently but even white bundled ones.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Played for about three hours last night. PS4 Pro, Boost mode on, connected to a Samsung KS8000 (U.S.), HDR on. No crashes yet. Hoping that continues to be the case.

GHG

Gold Member
If this is indeed a hardware issue then I need to test my Pro using TR and/or Diablo.

I have extended warranty but if there's a problem with my hardware I want to swap it sooner rather than later.

danowat

Banned
If I even mention the word "boost" will you reply to my post too?

Still wanted model numbers to see if we could crowd source a list of batches that were not working.

Irrelevant.

As for model numbers, is there anyway to get it without looking on the back of the unit?

Vinc

Are the crashes hardlocks or softlocks, or actual crashes (blue screen + report)? Actual crashes would suggest a software issue, possibly related to the firmware, if anything.

IMACOMPUTA

Are the crashes hardlocks or softlocks, or actual crashes (blue screen + report)? Actual crashes would suggest a software issue, possibly related to the firmware, if anything.
Screen goes back, ps4 unresponsive, sometimes it comes back after 20 seconds or so and gives me the blue screen error report, other times I have to hard reset the ps4.

hEist

depends. In the beginning they were hardlocks. Now they are often actual crashes.
But two kinds (at least here):

1. Picture not moving and after about 10 seconds screen gets black. Then after 30-60 seconds I got the blue screen + report.

2. Picture not moving. Picture disappears and you see a checkerboard. Then blue screen + report.

Still wanted model numbers to see if we could crowd source a list of batches that were not working.

tried it with boost on/off a couple times. Same result.
So far about 20 crashes. Not possible to play any mission.

Model Nr: CUH-7016B

Doesn't work if your avatar isn't a puckered Queen.

Model numbers are on the back or on the box I think. Not sure it's in the menus.

Well mine is CUH-7015B a region 1 PS4 Pro. Also stock HDD.

It's concerning since I'm considering trading mine in for the newer Destiny 2 PS4 Pro but apparently some people getting crashes on it too.

Both. Sometimes it crashes and you can get to the report screen. Other times it hardlocks gives you a checkerboard pattern black screen and the only way to turn it off is by holding down the power button for like 15 seconds.

neoemonk

With the recommendation of some on here to try ROTTR and see if the Pro would crash with that game. I did. And it crashed less than five minutes into the game. I am now sending in my Pro to get a replacement. Thank god it is still under warranty.

I'm going to do this tonight. I've had my Pro less than a year so if there's an issue with it, I want to know now.

danowat

Banned
I had solid hardlocks on the demo, picture would freeze, then after a while go black, only way out was to hard reset.

Smokey

Just got the D2 Pro Bundle today. Default HDD, 1080p. Physical copy of D2. Did not experience a crash in about 1.5 hr of play.

Playing again this morning. I've played through a couple of missions on Titan. No crashes. On latest non beta firmware.

Vashetti

Banned
theorically, indeed.
But it's still my current ps4 configuration.
How can you be sure it has nothing to do with current situation ?

Because Destiny 2 is a Pro-enabled game, it is already using all available Pro resources.

Boost Mode is only for non-Pro-enabled games and only uses the full CPU, and half of the GPU resources.

Boost Mode on or off, it literally doesn't affect Pro-enabled software.

Some people seem to be misunderstanding Boost Mode and thinking it applies to Pro software. How can Boost Mode provide more resources to a Pro game when a Pro game is literally using more hardware than Boost Mode gives access to?

There'll be a flag in the OS that Boost Mode doesn't apply when playing Pro software, regardless of whether it's ticked on or not.

Mentioning you have Boost Mode on is literally irrelevant. You may as well specify you have your sound set to LPCM rather than Dolby or DTS for how irrelevant it is.

IMACOMPUTA

I'm going to do this tonight. I've had my Pro less than a year so if there's an issue with it, I want to know now.
It hasn't even been out a year yet. This sucks!

Because Destiny 2 is a Pro-enabled game, it is already using all available Pro resources.

Boost Mode is only for non-Pro-enabled games and only uses the full CPU, and half of the GPU resources.

Some people seem to be misunderstanding Boost Mode and thinking it applies to Pro software. How can Boost Mode provide more resources to a Pro game when a Pro game is literally using more hardware than Boost Mode gives access to?

There'll be a flag in the OS that Boost Mode doesn't apply when playing Pro software, regardless of whether it's ticked on or not.

Mentioning you have Boost Mode on is literally irrelevant. You may as well specify you have your sound set to LPCM rather than Dolby or DTS for how irrelevant it is.

For all we know it could be crashing due to how your sound output is set up. You don't know that. Nothing wrong with more information.

ViolentP

The very idea of a bug is unexpected behavior. Boost mode should absolutely not be omitted when creating a test case matrix.

Vinc

Odd, it sure looks like a hardware issue. Was this not happening in the beta? I had no problems on my end. Guess I'll check with the full game this weekend.

IMACOMPUTA

Odd, it sure looks like a hardware issue. Was this not happening in the beta? I had no problems on my end. Guess I'll check with the full game this weekend.
It didn't happen to me in beta, but I only played each thing one time.
It didn't happen to me in the full game until I was wandering the EDZ.

martino

Do you know how destiny 2 code interact with those api/features ? if not you're Jonh Snow to decide what can cause this crash.
Everything can matter (and i'm using LPCM)

So I made it through the Rise of the Tomb Raider demo.. am I good? Lol.

Haven't started d2 yet. Will check back in later when I do.

Top Bottom