• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 crashes on PS4 Pro and 1080p?

Ocirus

Those who experience crashes on those games, do me a favour and try an external HDD and see if the problem persists.

Many people have tried this, with no luck. Boost Mode, HDCP, rebuilding database, external hard drive, different TV resolutions, everything.

Vinc

So is it specifically on 1080 screens? Wild theory here, but maybe the fans don't fully kick in due to the game outputting to a 1080 TV and the system not expecting the GPU to be fully utilized? It's such a weird thing, if it truly only affects 1080 TVs.

danowat

Banned
So is it specifically on 1080 screens? Wild theory here, but maybe the fans don't fully kick in due to the game outputting to a 1080 TV and the system not expecting the GPU to be fully utilized? It's such a weird thing, if it truly only affects 1080 TVs.

No, happens at 4K too.

barjed

Neo Member
FWIW here's a small bit of info from, hopefully it will help someone.

My setup is a launch day (european) PS4 Pro and a 4K screen. No external drive attached and I've never swapped the HDD. Sound connected via a Toslink. No additional USB devices connected. Good airflow. I tried tinkering with various settings like HDCP, output resolution, etc.

Destiny 2 has crashed for me on multiple occasions.. It has crashed during the introductory mission, during public quests in EDZ and also the first Adventure in the EDZ. While doing any of these the crashes happen every 10-15 minutes. The console either locks up permanently (and has to be unplugged) or goes right to the bluescreen with the ce-34878-0 error. Crucible OTOH is much more stable, it has crashed only once there.

I noticed that the cooling fans are pretty silent (for PS4 Pro) when the crashes occur, especially compared to playing something like HZD. So probably not an overheating issue?

I tried running the ROTR demo today and left it alone while I was getting ready for work. It hasn't crashed over the course of the 20 minutes while Lara was really cold ;)

ValeYard

I'm really hoping this is a software issue.

Considering new D2 white bundled pros are allegedly having the issue, I'm not sending my pro in in a hurry.

I just hope we get some info. With the internet, it's difficult to tell, but it seems more widespread than a hardware issue. If it is HW and not SW, well, there'll be an uptick in pros being swapped out for sure.

Played around 6 hours so far on pro at 1080p, all pve and was fine. I did have one crash happen when I tried some pvp. While waiting for a crucible match to set up, on the 'evaluating guardians...' screen, it crashed. Using an SSD drive.

Drey1082

I'm about 7 hours in on a Pro, External HD, 1080p. No issues to speak of (yet). I've had a couple weird sound glitches where the music cuts out randomly a couple times, but that I'm sure is software related.

Vashetti

Banned
Played around 6 hours so far on pro at 1080p, all pve and was fine. I did have one crash happen when I tried some pvp. While waiting for a crucible match to set up, on the 'evaluating guardians...' screen, it crashed. Using an SSD drive.

Solid State Drive drive :p

Ashler

Got a PS4 and a PS4 Pro.

PS4: No crashes on the PS4 with over 2hrs of gameplay.

PS4 Pro: Crashes (hard freeze followed by a blue screen if I wait f or a couple of minutes - Error Code: CE-34878-0) every 2mins at any resolution.

I had the exact same situation in the Beta.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Seems odd that this all of a sudden started in Destiny 2. Does this not occur at all in other titles (besides ROTTR)?

Agent

Odd, it sure looks like a hardware issue. Was this not happening in the beta? I had no problems on my end. Guess I'll check with the full game this weekend.

I didn't have any issues with crashing on the beta. Admittedly I didn't put a lot of hours into the beta but I did complete the story mission, a few strikes and some crucible matches. It never crashed once, but now it's happening often. I've had my pro since last November and it's never done this on any other game I've played from Battlefield 1 to Horizon Zero Dawn. With HZD the pro sounded like it was ready to take off half the time and I don't even see that with D2. I'm going to try the Tomb Raider demo tonight after work to see what happens.

When and how it crashes is also fairly random. Most of the time it just freezes, then will have the diagnostic report to submit after about 30 seconds. Occasionally after that the initial screens are at like 5FPS so you have to restart. Even with that, the PS4 OS is as responsive as it normally is. I did have the strange checkerboard black screen last night for the first time, but that was the only time I've seen that.

I've been able to go and hour or two with no crashes, then I'll get a crash every 5 minutes. This has no relevancy, but I seem to crash more on Earth than any other planet. The longer game sessions I mentioned came when I was further into the story line on other planets. I went back to EDZ and the crashes are frequent with Adventures/Public Events. It is just incredibly annoying to run across a planet for an adventure for it to crash halfway through so you have to start again.

For reference, I am using 4K (no HDR) and I'm on the 5.00 beta, newest version. I hate to think it could be a hardware issue, but the fact there are people with no issues is a bit concerning. If it was fully software related I would assume it would be impacting almost all systems, not just some. If it really is hardware related, I'm guessing someone in Sony is sweating a bit right now lol.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I didn't have any issues with crashing on the beta. Admittedly I didn't put a lot of hours into the beta but I did complete the story mission, a few strikes and some crucible matches. It never crashed once, but now it's happening often. I've had my pro since last November and it's never done this on any other game I've played from Battlefield 1 to Horizon Zero Dawn. With HZD the pro sounded like it was ready to take off half the time and I don't even see that with D2. I'm going to try the Tomb Raider demo tonight after work to see what happens.

When and how it crashes is also fairly random. Most of the time it just freezes, then will have the diagnostic report to submit after about 30 seconds. Occasionally after that the initial screens are at like 5FPS so you have to restart. Even with that, the PS4 OS is as responsive as it normally is. I did have the strange checkerboard black screen last night for the first time, but that was the only time I've seen that.

I've been able to go and hour or two with no crashes, then I'll get a crash every 5 minutes. This has no relevancy, but I seem to crash more on Earth than any other planet. The longer game sessions I mentioned came when I was further into the story line on other planets. I went back to EDZ and the crashes are frequent with Adventures/Public Events. It is just incredibly annoying to run across a planet for an adventure for it to crash halfway through so you have to start again.

For reference, I am using 4K (no HDR) and I'm on the 5.00 beta, newest version. I hate to think it could be a hardware issue, but the fact there are people with no issues is a bit concerning. If it was fully software related I would assume it would be impacting almost all systems, not just some. If it really is hardware related, I'm guessing someone in Sony is sweating a bit right now lol.

If you go try BF1 or HZD does it crash in those games?

blacklotus

Did the start shit yesterday, and left it running on the mountains right before reaching the farm because my headset ran out of juice.

No crashes still.

HigXx

"If you are encountering PlayStation 4 Error CE-34878-0 when attempting to play Destiny 2, please see https://t.co/GtMZbwHt0Y https://t.co/q2jFdRSbzo"

Update that basically tells us nothing again. Forum post tells us to turn off HDCP which is what everyone has been doing and still isnt helping

What a great launch :(

EDIT: Never mind... Above nailed it.

The only thing that really bugs me about this is that this exact same shit was happening during the Beta and I know people made noise about it then. I don't get how this didn't get fixed or at least some type of announcement from Bungie/Sony about this. My Pro is only 5 months old and hasn't given me any issues with any other game. Tomb Raider, Diablo 3, etc... No issues at all. I'm just not seeing how this could be anything other than a software issue.

I was able to make it through the first mission with multiple crashes after an hour. Got to the second mission and the crashes worsened. Went from a simple crash and Error Code to completely hard locking the system and having to unplug the power cord to restart the system. I want to give the game a shot but I'm worried if this keeps happening that it's going to end up damaging my hard drives.

Nestunt

Has the Rise of the Tomb Raider demo been proven as a reliable test for this?

or are there people who can play the demo but can't play Destiny?

Has it really been proven that this is hardware and not software related?

Has the Rise of the Tomb Raider demo been proven as a reliable test for this?

or are there people who can play the demo but can't play Destiny?

Has it really been proven that is hardware and not software related?

It's so across the board in terms of results that I can't find one general consistent issue or method for testing.

Personally Tomb Raider worked fine. I've seen people say that this happened with the CoD WW2 Beta, again fine for my system. Some people said this happens with Diablo 3... for me it works perfectly.

I would think if it was a hardware issue then it would have to effect more than one game though.

ValeYard

It's so across the board in terms of results that I can't find one general consistent issue or method for testing.

Personally Tomb Raider worked fine. Some people said this happens with Diablo 3... for me it works perfectly.

I would think if it was a hardware issue then it would have to effect more than one game though.

And even if it is two games, that doesn't mean it's HW and not SW, either. Perhaps there's a problem in how TR and D2 deal with resolution, which Diablo 3 managed to patch? We just don't know.

As I said before, people are swapping their pros -- some solving the issue, some saying it was there on the new console. I reckon it's just better to wait and see. Sony being more proactive would be a nice thing to see though, since we're the idiots who bought their premium console.

Nestunt

Personally Tomb Raider worked fine. Some people said this happens with Diablo 3... for me it works perfectly.

Tomb Raider or Rise?

It's weird, no doubt. People have Pros for almost a year and hundreds of hours of gameplay have been submitted to them.

ValeYard

Tomb Raider or Rise?

It's weird, no doubt. People have Pros for almost a year and hundreds of hours of gameplay have been submitted to them.

Edit: Sorry, this shiz got me so crazy I didn't parse the post properly and misunderstood the question. Send hugs.

Got a PS4 and a PS4 Pro.

PS4: No crashes on the PS4 with over 2hrs of gameplay.

PS4 Pro: Crashes (hard freeze followed by a blue screen if I wait f or a couple of minutes - Error Code: CE-34878-0) every 2mins at any resolution.

I had the exact same situation in the Beta.

Have you tried doing a rebuild of your ps4 database? Reason I ask, is that the only time I ever had major problems with a game was with Evil Within, that too was freezing every 2mins. Rebuilding sorted it out. This was on Ps4 pro.

Working fine for me @ 1080p. If we don't believe it's heat related I'm not sure just starting the tomb raider demo and let it sit is a good test. I'm guessing something in the game is calling some function of the APU and causing an issue. The people with destiny crashing, if you start the game and leave it run without playing does it crash?

Tomb Raider or Rise?

Both. I've got like 50 games installed across 2 hard drives and none have had this issue.

I wouldn't qualify this as Sony's official posistion but I just came across this on Bungie's forums. Someone chatted with Sony Support about the issue.

Me (9/6/2017, 8:54:27 PM): Just to be clear. You guys have no reason to think that the problem is caused by faulty hardware

Andres (9/6/2017, 8:54:55 PM): Since the issue is happening just with this specific game, no.

I played for a couple of hours last night on a pro with a SSD on a 4k hdr tv with no problems so far. Hopefully there won't be any issues later.

ValeYard

Working fine for me @ 1080p. If we don't believe it's heat related I'm not sure just starting the tomb raider demo and let it sit is a good test. I'm guessing something in the game is calling some function of the APU and causing an issue. The people with destiny crashing, if you start the game and leave it run without playing does it crash?

I think you're onto something here. I left RotTR running, Lara cold, but everything fine. Then I did the first climbing sequence, missed a jump. On the reload in a cutscene the console froze. Otherwise, I had one freeze in D2 last night on the second mission.

Had one crash in roughly 3 hours of playtime last night. Playing on a pro with a 4K TV. Have played plenty of diablo and ROTTR on the same setup with no issues.

Ken Adams

Seems odd that this all of a sudden started in Destiny 2. Does this not occur at all in other titles (besides ROTTR)?

No stardew valley on the pro is broken too(Reg PS4 works fine). Wasted money on it. The stardew devs put the blame on the pro, saying sony is looking into it. Still hasn't been fixed since launch.

Both. I've got like 50 games installed across 2 hard drives and none have had this issue.

I wouldn't qualify this as Sony's official posistion but I just came across this on Bungie's forums. Someone chatted with Sony Support about the issue.

Haha same thing they told me about stardew. Hopefully Destiny being a huge IP sony will finally look into this.

eh...they say that but people have reported their Pro's working after sending them in for repair.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Early on, with MLB The Show, the game crashed at the end of a set of games just before it would need to save the file using PS4 Pro. You could play all of the games to finish in a row before needing to save. All of the results were stored in temp memory until saved. That was a new feature.

I hadn't seen it happen on that game on my system in a long long time until a random few times recently. I found when it happened, even a reboot and playing the same games against the same teams without saving until the end of the set would result in a crash. I then tried again, same team, same set of games, but saved one game early. That stopped the crashing from happening again for quite some time.

When it happened again, which was rare, same tests, same results. Rebooted, played full set of games, crash at end of final game. Repeated to be sure a third time. Same result. Saved one game early next go, no more crashes.

I'm not sure if any of that is relevant, but maybe in some way it might help.

eh...they say that but people have reported their Pro's working after sending them in for repair.

My only problem with that is what would need to be repaired though? If this was an issue that was widely spread across dozens of games then yes there probably is some defect. But what defect would only effect a single game?

I'm not saying other people haven't had issues with other titles but that's part of the problem here. It seems like with every suggested problem/solution you can find opposing results. I looked into this during the beta and still now the only common factors I can find are Destiny 2 and a PRO model of some sort.

Too many variables.

Just tested mine with ROTTR demo and Diablo 3, Torment XIII doing a few regular Rifts.

No crashes, but for how long one should test? My ROTTR test was short, less than an hour. Diablo 3 about an hour and a half, two tops.

Also, which version of ROTTR should one use for the test? Enhanced graphics, 4k or framerate?

Well in Diablo 3, for me, it almost always crashes during torments like 3+ especially when there are a lot of things happening on screen.

In Destiny 2 most consistent crash area is during the waves part in the first mission.

Haven't tried RotTR.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm starting to think it's more data transfer/memory allocation/saving related than actual hardware issues or heat related issues.

sajj316

Crashed for me as well. Pro with 1080p display. Are the crashes all digital downloads? Did everyone that crash preinstall the game?

Mezoly

I would be so happy if there is a stability update today. Even though mine crashed during RoTR demo I'm still not convinced it's a hardware issue just because of the sheer amount of games I've played since the Pro launched with no issues. Also my D2 Beta experience was much better than release.

Crashed for me as well. Pro with 1080p display. Are the crashes all digital downloads? Did everyone that crash preinstall the game?

Edit... Above Poster replied.

Just for the fuck of it... I'm going to list my setup and everything I've tried.

5-6 Month Old PRO
Digital Destiny 2
1TB Seagate Firecuda Internal / 1TB Stock PRO HD External
1080p Output
5.00 Beta 4 Firmware/ 4.73

I had NO improvement with the following

• Switching from 5.00 Beta back to 4.73
  • Disabling Boost Mode
  • Disabling HDCP
  • Rebuilding Database
  • Swapping D2 install location from External to Internal
  • Restoring Content Licenses
  • Deleting/Reinstalling D2
  • Testing games others have reported related to issue RotTR, Diablo 3, Fallout 3... All played fine
  • Crossing my fingers

sergons

Banned

External ssd, 4k monitor. No crashes in other games like BF1, The Division, only in D2. By running The Division in 4k my pro sounds like a jet engine and its reasonably quiet on D2.

Top Bottom