• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2's PS4 Exclusive Content will Arrive on PC and Xbox One in 2018

Leyasu

Banned
Xbox is never getting the TKK exclusive content. It is not an impossible reality that they'll permanently lock out content in Destiny 2.

Yep. Bungie can say whatever the fuck they want. Once you have paid for the game, and spent money in what is sure to be microtransaction infested . They won't even bother lowering themselves to respond.

No buy for me

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
At least it's not a permanent exclusive. Yet some people over here act as if this stupid practise hasn't been going on for years now with the Destiny franchise.

First, a caveat, I love Destiny. Secondly, yeah. It's set in stone, and Bungie deserves the lost respect and criticism regarding every single Destiny game with this exclusive content. Bungie and Activision (and Sony) have brought this shadow over the Destiny franchise and they deserve all the criticism that comes with it. They can't have it both ways and not expect criticism and PR messes regarding this.

Lasty95

Truth.

Some seriously petty ass marketing schemes that don't benefit a single customer or player.

I don't that's true. It actually benefits us all.

I for one want Bungie to be making mutli-gazillion $ Destiny games for many years to come and for that I need them to continue to make even more gazillions in profit.

This is just part of that process.

I don't that's true. It actually benefits us all.
Even by that strained logic it certainly does not benefit Xbox players.

And the only value offered to PS4 players is in Xbox players not getting access to content for a long while, which is just kinda gross.

And there's Bungie, between their two (ehh... three now) playerbases, pitching one against the other.

Ataxia

Fuck Bungie, fuck Activision, fuck anyone who supports this shit

I wouldn't even mind if it meant that players on PC and Xbox got a discount. Then in a year have the option to buy the exlusive content

But you can bet your arse we'll be paying the same amount for less content. They did this shit with Destiny 1. Fool me once.

Shrennin

And the only value offered to PS4 players is in Xbox players not getting access to content for along while, which is just kinda gross.

Good thing those PS4 players will be able to play nightfall versions of the exclusive strikes... oh, wait..

Honestly, PS4 players are technically missing out of content because of its exclusivity too.

Arkage

Banned
I loved playing through Destiny on PS4. But I really, really want to switch to PC for the 60fps. I really don't get why they'd lock content for PC as well. Very annoying.

Shrennin

Sony has a ten year deal with Destiny as far as I know. First game released 2014.

And Bungie, Activision, and Sony will continue to be criticized until 2024 unless Anthem eats their lunch. =P

Lasty95

And the only value offered to PS4 players is in Xbox players not getting access to content for along while, which is just kinda gross.

No you're missing my point. What I mean is that these types of deals, regardless of the bad taste they leave in the mouth, facilitate the existence of the games on any platform.

A game of the size and scale of Destiny represents a phenomenal financial investment and an enormous risk for those who finance it. As long as deals like this are profitable they'll be a reality of the business. You can't really blame Activision/Bungie for trying to squeeze every penny they can from process, and so long as that means they keep churning out games of this kind of quality I really can't say I particularly mind.

BizzyBum

Remember when Sony was cool during the PS4 launch bullying the big mean Xbone machine.

They suck again. I guess everything is cyclical.

Ataxia

No you're missing my point. What I mean is that these types of deals, regardless of the bad taste they leave in the mouth, facilitate the existence of the games on any platform.

A game of the size and scale of Destiny represents a phenomenal financial investment and an enormous risk for those who finance it. As long as deals like this are profitable they'll be a reality of the business. You can't really blame Activision/Bungie for trying to make squeeze every penny they can from process, as so long as that means they keep churning out games of this kind of quality I really can't say I particularly mind.
Oh that settles it. You can't blame Bungie for screwing over consumers guys. They're just trying to make a profit

Jesus, the corporate shilling

Lasty95

So can I take it then that everyone here is also going to boycott PS4 Spiderman on the same moral grounds?

I mean, Sony have clearly given Insomniac a hell of a lot of money to make a game exclusively for their platform, denying XB and PC players 100% of the content when they could easily have not accepted the money and made a cute little 2D platformer that everyone could enjoy instead?

It's the same thing people! Business is business and it's thanks to this same business that we've got any of these games to play in the first place!

giphy.gif

Strakt

I mean bungie is putting out a solid version of destiny 2 on pc so i cant really complain.. with uncapped framerates, fov slider, 4k support, 21:9 support.. and its not a shitty console port but instead was built from the ground up.. id take that over a map / strike / weapon any day.. especially since we'll be getting those regardless

And Bungie, Activision, and Sony will continue to be criticized until 2024 unless Anthem eats their lunch. =P

Critizing won't stop them from making money. Pretty sure all those who says they will skip the game will buy it anyway just like those who petition to stop buying call of duty games.

Nauren

Will the price reflect the lack of/addition of exclusive content between the platforms?

I agree 100% this practice is dumb but I feel this stance isn't the best way to go about it. What would be the measuring stick for this discount be? Development cost? Average gameplay time? I mean I can't help but feel the discount under any measurement would be less than a dollar. I could be absolutely wrong.

I mean bungie is putting out a solid version of destiny 2 on pc so i cant really complain.. with uncapped framerates, fov slider, 4k support, 21:9 support.. and its not a shitty console port but instead was built from the ground up.. id take that over a map / strike / weapon any day.. especially since we'll be getting those regardless

I kind of agree, but tell that to us when you've played the strikes/pvp for hundreds of hours. 1 more map, 1 more strike, out there but unavailable. What you don't know...don't, hurt...you? (snaps)

edit: oh god, me doing that reminded me of the Flo Progressive commercial...I now hate myself.

I agree 100% this practice is dumb but I feel this stance isn't the best way to go about it. What would be the measuring stick for this discount be? Development cost? Average gameplay time? I mean I can't help but feel the discount under any measurement would be less than a dollar. I could be absolutely wrong.

Sure - valid question. But it does seem wrong to charge people on all platforms the same price, but not deliver the same content.

That part bothers me more than the exclusivity aspect of it.

Nauren

Sure - valid question. But it does seem wrong to charge people on all platforms the same price, but not deliver the same content.

That part bothers me more than the exclusivity aspect of it.

I 100% agree with you. You will go no argument out of me on that.

Shrennin

Critizing won't stop them from making money. Pretty sure all those who says they will skip the game will buy it anyway just like those who petition to stop buying call of duty games.

Did I say it would? If Bungie is just annoyed at responding constantly to this PR mess they are in, then that's better than them facing no criticism at all. They deserve any and all criticism coming their way.

So can I take it then that everyone here is also going to boycott PS4 Spiderman on the same moral grounds?

Microsoft got criticized for 1 year exclusivity for Tomb Raider, and I guarantee that Disney/Marvel had the money to make Spider-Man as it is on all platforms, so yes. Sony probably should be criticized for that. Spider-Man PS4 looks like a QTE fest so there's other reasons right now not to get that game, personally. The E3 demo wasn't impressive to me, but that's neither here nor there.

see5harp

If you care then don't buy this shit. Just rent this shit so that you can be reminded at how unbelievably boring it is to do the same shit night in and night out to grind the gear or light levels or whatever the fuck they call it now.

Grazzt

I for one want Bungie to be making mutli-gazillion $ Destiny games for many years to come and for that I need them to continue to make even more gazillions in profit.
Do you hold their shares or what?

I certainly hope so, at least the trailer looks much more interesting than destiny.

Shrennin

I certainly hope so, at least the trailer looks much more interesting than destiny.

With Drew K. writing, it'll certainly have a better story (well, it'll have a story so it'll be better by default).

plip.plop

If this really bothers the Xbox base, why not hold off on buying Destiny until the exclusive content is released for the Xbox?

This should also apply to Sony players that have to wait for exclusive content locked behind an MS deal.

If we as a gaming community really hate this idea, then the only way to stop this practice is to hit them in the pocketbooks. When it no longer become profitable companies tend to drop those ideas.

Xamdou

Damn the 1 year PS4 exclusive content on the original Destiny is still happening in Destiny 2!?

Now I am considering canceling My Destiny 2 LE preorder which is missing content for an entire year.

HotHamBoy

I mean, Sony have clearly given Insomniac a hell of a lot of money to make a game exclusively for their platform, denying XB and PC players 100% of the content when they could easily have not accepted the money and made a cute little 2D platformer that everyone could enjoy instead?

It's the same thing people! Business is business and it's thanks to this same business that we've got any of these games to play in the first place!

giphy.gif

It's not the same thing because Destiny 2 costs $60 on all three platforms but one platform gets more content for the same price. For a year, anyway.

I will say that Xbox did this shit all the time ALL LAST GEN but now Sony is the asshole?

Mr Moose

Microsoft got criticized for 1 year exclusivity for Tomb Raider, and I guarantee that Disney/Marvel had the money to make Spider-Man as it is on all platforms, so yes. Sony probably should be criticized for that. Spider-Man PS4 looks like a QTE fest so there's other reasons right now not to get that game, personally. The E3 demo wasn't impressive to me, but that's neither here nor there.

Did they get criticized for all those years of Fifa exclusive content? I don't remember seeing threads about it, though I don't really care about football so I guess I could've missed it.

Why is this worse than a full game being exclusive for a year?

Why is nobody complaining as much about that as much as this meaningless DLC?

Remember when everyone was against DLC? What we all of a sudden like it now?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Damn the 1 year PS4 exclusive content on the original Destiny is still happening in Destiny 2!?

Now I am considering canceling My Destiny 2 LE preorder which is missing content for an entire year

then do it.

anyway cant wait til september! :D

HotHamBoy

As I said above, the difference is charging the same price for less content.

Not to jump off track, but I really hope this is the case, I have my doubts though. The problem is that Destiny is finally learning the loot game, and that's a terribly difficult yet important thing to implement in this new arpg genre. I imagine loot wise Anthem won't be nearly as varied as a game like Destiny, although I hope I'm wrong.

They also probably won't have PvP which is a huge draw in Destiny for a lot of people including myself. Destiny is one of the first games to implement satisfying PvP combat with a loot-system co-mingling with the campaign. The balance was often fucked the first go round, but it would be quite a feat for them to get it too much closer (except the supers, get rid of the 1hk supers in PvP if you want a competitive PvP multiplayer, Bungie).

It's not worse. They're both shitty, and the game being locked away entirely is probably way worse. But we're not debating that here...

I will say the biggest issue with this specific Destiny thing, to me anyway, is price. One version gets more content for the same price. While it sucks not to have a game for a year, you are not charged more up front for content you can't play for a year.

Of course (!), we'd all rather have the game than to not play the game at all - but it doesn't make this issue go away.

It's not worse. They're both shitty, and the game being locked away entirely is probably way worse. But we're not debating that here...

I will say the biggest issue with this specific Destiny thing, to me anyway, is price. One version gets more content for the same price. While it sucks not to have a game for a year, you are not charged more up front for content you can't play for a year.

But you still have to pay for the DLC whether you pay for it right away or a year later.

Just like you have to pay full price for the game a year after everyone else has played it.

Shrennin

Did they get criticized for all those years of Fifa exclusive content? I don't remember seeing threads about it, though I don't really care about football so I guess I could've missed it.

Probably? I'm not into Fifa either, but Microsoft got criticized for one month exclusive CoD content so...

As I said above, the difference is charging the same price for less content.

This logic makes absolutely no sense.

Game is $60 on both and you get the same game for $60.

The difference is one consumer gets to pay $20 for more DLC. So they spend $80 on the game. The other consumer just doesn't have that option.

How is the value any different?

Both consumers are spending the same amount for the same game.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Did we have these "Less content is less price, right?" debates during last-gen when MS was money hatting content?

Not that I can remember, to be honest. And do people really expect the other versions to cost less? Sony is likely paying for the extra content, Activision in turn isn't going to lower the price on the other versions negating to a degree the money made from the Sony deal.

zethren

Banned
I honestly do not care.

1 exotic sniper rifle, 1 strike, 1 crucible map, and some armor. I'll get it eventually, hell I didn't even get a drop on the Monte Carlo (previously PS4 exclusive gun) on my XB1 character until earlier this year and I still don't care. Some folks are blowing this waaaaaay out of proportion.

But you still have to pay for the DLC whether you pay for it right away or a year later.

Just like you have to pay full price for the game a year after everyone else has played it.

My experience with those kind of games is they come either at a reduced price or with far more content than the game launched with (e.g. all DLC, definitive editions).

That doesn't justify it, but it's not always how you describe it. And if a company DOES do what you describe, that is double shitty. No way around it. I personally wouldn't support a company that did that.

gatti-man

If you don't like it don't buy the other versions. When the lost sales cause Sony to have to pay far too much they will stop doing it. The only way this stops is if gamers use their wallets. I just bought the PS4 version even though I'd prefer it on PC. I already have a feeling the PC will be full of hacks and bugs. I'd rather stay on the primary dev console given bunnies lack of experience with the PC crowd.

Top Bottom