• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2's PS4 Exclusive Content will Arrive on PC and Xbox One in 2018

jviggy43

The very nature of what an is assumption requires an individual to make an informed guess based on context. So saying "we don't know," is not an assumption but a statement of fact.

Are we really going to defer to an argument about assumptions and facts in order to try and validate an assumption, which again, has just as little to assume one way as those arguing for the inverse? Youre getting called out for defaulting to unknown by people saying we shouldn't default to either argument. If you want to make an argument and say you want to assume it doesn't have raids, by all means but youre being told that it has as little evidence to support it as does anyone suggesting it will have a raid. And yes, I prefer to operate under the pretense of factual information, especially when what started this whole argument was an emphatic statement of ostensible fact claiming the game had no raids or pvp, to which people took as legitimate.

Are we really going to defer to an argument about assumptions and facts in order to try and validate an assumption, which again, has just as little to assume one way as those arguing for the inverse? Youre getting called out for defaulting to unknown by people saying we shouldn't default to either argument. If you want to make an argument and say you want to assume it doesn't have raids, by all means but youre being told that it has as little evidence to support it as does anyone suggesting it will have a raid. And yes, I prefer to operate under the pretense of factual information, especially when what started this whole argument was an emphatic statement of ostensible fact claiming the game had no raids or pvp, to which people took as legitimate.

Who's calling me out?

Strakt

Because it is a fact that the game has no raids or pvp FROM WHAT we as consumers have seen and know so far (which is VERY LITTLE). Whats so hard to understand?

I have to say out of all the negative things that came from Sony this E3, this is the one I can't stand. Content block is shitty. I played D1 on PS4 (and i'll play D2 on a PS4), and I didn't realize what kinds of things got blocked out in the beginning. It's not some small things, like emotes or ships or shaders; It's maps, strikes and weapons. I can't believe Hawkmoon was shut out of Xbox for a year, one of the best exotics in the game. The Taken King exclusive Strike is one of the better ones too, and that one got an extended exclusivity (still not available).
It just makes you look bad, it should stop being a thing.

jviggy43

Who's calling me out?

I saw your response to the person who emphasized the discussion was started due to a statement as opposed to assumption when I wrote that post which is what I was referring to.

Additionally, any logic professor would tell you that no, your assumption isn't reasonable. You can assume all you want, go to town assuming whatever you'd like, but you don't get to turn around and call that assumption with no grounding or evidence reasonable. It's not.

Because it is a fact that the game has no raids or pvp FROM WHAT we as consumers have seen and know so far (which is VERY LITTLE). Whats so hard to understand?

Oh my god, no thats not how this works. Thats not how any of this works.

CSJ

Yeah, I'll do everything to not pay for this game; I still want to play it but it's going to be a freebie code through a graphics card or something from a colleague/work.

Otherwise nope.

Strakt

I saw your response to the person who emphasized the discussion was started due to a statement as opposed to assumption when I wrote that post which is what I was referring to.

Additionally, any logic professor would tell you that no, your assumption isn't reasonable. You can assume all you want, go to town assuming whatever you'd like, but you don't get to turn around and call that assumption with no grounding or evidence reasonable. It's not.

Alright show me to some information that indicates the game has raids and/or pvp from an official source. I'll be waiting for it.

1.)I saw your response to the person who emphasized the discussion was started due to a statement as opposed to assumption when I wrote that post which is what I was referring to.

2.) Additionally, any logic professor would tell you that no, your assumption isn't reasonable. You can assume all you want, go to town assuming whatever you'd like, but you don't get to turn around and call that assumption with no grounding or evidence reasonable. It's not.

1.) Can you rewrite this? it is a run on and it is not clear what you are saying. This still doesn't answer who is calling me out because the person I quoted did not call me out.

2.) Unpack this section for me professor. Since I fail to see how my assumption that a feature, that is not common in console gaming, would not be included in a console game until stated otherwise by the developers. It is also interesting that if you, or a logic professor, would argue that this is unreasonable then the opposite--that a feature is included--would also be considered unreasonable.

You are doing a poor job of explaining yourself and are using a hypothetical logic professor to defend your poorly worded arguments.

Yeah, I'll do everything to not pay for this game; I still want to play it but it's going to be a freebie code through a graphics card or something from a colleague/work.

Otherwise nope.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I don't want to support this practice. I can maybe understand having a month of exclusivity, but a year? Or more if you count the Destiny 1 DLC that still isn't on Xbox?

It's super disappointing.

KrebStar

At a certain point it kind of seemed like a "one year with a chance to extend" on the Destiny stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again.

It seems weird to me how people choose one player in all of this to call out as the big bad, then excuse whoever they personally like the most. Sony, Activision, and Bungie are all a part of this and none of them are your friend. At the end of the day, it's all just business.

Mooreberg

Still going with PC, just a matter of when, given how crowded October is. I am surprised that Activision did not work out a better, more COD-esque deal to get content onto the PC faster (30 days or so). They are simultaneously going out of their way to keep the game off of Steam so they can make more money, while effectively telling the hardcore players to get the PS4 version in September. It like they cannot make their minds up between short term vs. long term gain.

Nauren

Alright show me to some information that indicates the game has raids and/or pvp from an official source. I'll be waiting for it.

Absence of evidence is not always evidence of absence. The only intellectually honest position is "we don't know yet." That being said, there is obvious consumer interest in it being there so we can hypothesize it's likelihood.

mas8705

Was it ever in doubt?

Considering that when you typed in "The Taken King" into the search and it mentions "Playstation content to remain exclusive" and the reaction that got, I'm pretty sure it was still in doubt; especially after the trailer for Destiny 2 that immediately talked about the "Exclusive Content" coming to the PS4 version.

For some, this idea of "Exclusive Content" being limited to one system makes some feel like they have to play on one specific system since it is seen as the "Definitive Edition" and by not playing on it, you're playing an incomplete game. Some examples are more extreme as others, but Destiny is still looked at slightly unfavorably in some gamer's eyes than others.

jviggy43

1.) Can you rewrite this? it is a run on and it is not clear what you are saying. This still doesn't answer who is calling me out because the person I quoted did not call me out.

2.) Unpack this section for me professor. Since I fail to see how my assumption that a feature, that is not common in console gaming, would not be included in a console game until stated otherwise by the developers. It is also interesting that if you, or a logic professor, would argue that this is unreasonable then the opposite--that a feature is included--would also be considered unreasonable.

You are doing a poor job of explaining yourself and are using a hypothetical logic professor to defend your poorly worded arguments.

Not all console games have raids
Anthem is a console game
Anthem will not have a raid

That is not a valid logical induction because the conclusion does not follow from the premise. And also no, it is not true that because you can't say the aforementioned conclusion that the inverse must be true either thats ridiculous.

Otherwise nope.

That'll show'em.

A big part of Destiny is the community experience, which you will still be contributing to. Them some flimsy soap boxes some of y'all stand on.

I don't think this is a big deal, but some of you claim it is but certainly don't act like it, which is a large part of why this practice that you claim you hate will continue to happen. It works.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Yeah, I'm not sure he knows what "fact" means.

I'm certainly not saying it's a "fact" that the game WILL have PvP or Raids when it launches.

But basic logic and reasoning tells people it almost certainly will.

Not all console games have raids
Anthem is a console game
Anthem will not have a raid

That is not a valid logical induction because the conclusion does not follow from the premise. And also no, it is not true that because you can't say the aforementioned conclusion that the inverse must be true either thats ridiculous.

Here try again, and this time I'll lay out what I typed:

Raiding is a new feature for console gaming
The majority of current console games do not include a raid as we know it with Destiny
Anthem is a console game
It can be assumed that Anthem will not have a raid

Now it makes zero sense how you can flip the assumption to it does have a raid and this suddenly becomes more logical for you. I truly think you are not critically reading my posts and you started this discussion ill-informed.

Strakt

Yeah, I'm not sure he knows what "fact" means.

I'm certainly not saying it's a "fact" that the game WILL have PvP or Raids when it launches.

But basic logic and reasoning tells people it almost certainly will.

As it stands, at this time.. its a fact that from the very little information we have about the game, that it does not currently show anything for raids / pvp, therefore we can conclude that the game does not have these features until they are shown off by official sources.

One thing I do love about this back and forth bs argument is that I can tell how passionate some of you guys are for a game that won't even be out for a while. I mean when I first saw the gameplay, I was like wow this looks amazing.. but some of you guys... words cant even describe it tbh.

LKSmash

Yes what you said is not logical because it makes a statement

The majority of current console games do not include a raid as we know it with Destiny
Anthem is a console game

It can also be assumed it will have a raid. The storm they flew into could've been a raid. The problem still remains that Hanzo was running around decreeing Anthem has no raids or PVP without any evidence. He didn't change his stance to an assumption til he got called out for it.

jviggy43

What you said is not logical because it makes a statement

Anthem is a console game

Now it makes zero sense how you can flip the assumption to it does have a raid and this suddenly becomes more logical for you. I truly think you are not critically reading my posts and you started this discussion ill-informed.
And again that's fine but it isn't a reasonable or logical one lol. Assume all you want but stop trying to pretend your position is validated through reason or logic, it isnt.

It can also be assumed it will have a raid. The storm they flew into could've been a raid. The problem still remains that Hanzo was running around decreeing Anthem has no raids or PVP without any evidence. He didn't change his stance to an assumption til he got called out for it.

I agree, it can be assumed either way and the importance is to state that you are making an assumption. What jviggy43 is arguing at this point doesn't make any sense where he declares one assumption is illogical but the other as logical.

And again that's fine but it isn't a reasonable or logical one lol. Assume all you want but stop trying to pretend your position is validated through reason or logic, it isnt.

You should definitely read through this thread to figure out my "position" and see if I have been trying to validate it or if it has been attacked. This whole discussion is based on you not critically reading.

Strakt

Why are people living in the future? Base the game off with the information we currently have rather than the information we'll eventually get. Because I posted one sarcastic sentence saying "Then you realize anthem doesnt have raids or pvp" to a sarcastic shit post that has nothing to do with the thread, your entire life flips upside down? Lol.

LKSmash

I agree, it can be assumed either way and the importance is to state that you are making an assumption. What jviggy43 is arguing at this point doesn't make any sense where he declares one assumption is illogical but the other as logical.

I agree an assumption can be made either way. And there can be arguments for which one has more merit. I'm just trying to downplay an individual's inference of a trailer as fact.

jviggy43

You should definitely read through this thread to figure out my "position" and see if I have been trying to validate it or if it has been attacked. This whole discussion is based on you not critically reading.
Absolutely not. You called your assumption the default and then later said it was reasonable.

I agree an assumption can be made either way. And there can be arguments for which one has more merit. I'm just trying to downplay an individual's inference of a trailer as fact.

Definitely as long as we see it both ways which it sounds like we do.

Absolutely not. You called your assumption the default and then later said it was reasonable.

1. Find the post where I said that
  2. Click the post I quoted
  3. Click that quoted post (my post)
  4. Read it

What is my stance on default assumptions for video game features?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
2018, aka "long enough that we hope you'll forget we promised it".

jviggy43

Definitely as long as we see it both ways which it sounds like we do.

1. Find the post where I said that
  2. Click the post I quoted
  3. Click that quoted post (my post)
  4. Read it

What is my stance on default assumptions for video game features?
I retract my position that you have a default, just that you implied that the default should be one similar to what the poster who started this argument was making, and then ending with that in your opinion saod position was a reasonable assumption. I was never once arguing about it being an assumption (although again you misread the post in question because he didn't assume, he stated), just that it's an unreasonable one to make from a logical perspective because ultimately no side has any more reason to assume one way or the other at this point.

jrcbandit

The exclusive content for Destiny is mostly lame aside from the exotic weapons, that is really the only big loss. Hawkmoon was one of my favorite weapons before they nerfed it into oblivion. I'm not surprised by the exclusivity crap in the least, but they really need to shorten it to like 2-4 months instead of 1 year ;p.

nbraun80

As it stands, at this time.. its a fact that from the very little information we have about the game, that it does not currently show anything for raids / pvp, therefore we can conclude that the game does not have these features until they are shown off by official sources.

One thing I do love about this back and forth bs argument is that I can tell how passionate some of you guys are for a game that won't even be out for a while. I mean when I first saw the gameplay, I was like wow this looks amazing.. but some of you guys... words cant even describe it tbh.
Honestly you're being very silly and shitting up this thread. It is a FACT we know very little, but what you're doing is taking that and ASSUMING what features it won't have and presenting it as fact. FACT is we don't know, leave it at that and walk away. And no i don't give a shit about anthem, but you're being silly about this.

On topic, i've grown to accept the cosmetic exclusives and to some extent the 1-month exclusives, but just hope to god these 1-year exclusives don't start happening more cause it's no good for anyone.

Gragen

So a company paid some money to get certain advantages that would help get more customers for said company.

Ok.

Strakt

Honestly you're being very silly and shitting up this thread. It is a FACT we know very little, but what you're doing is taking that and ASSUMING what features it won't have and presenting it as fact. FACT is we don't know, leave it at that and walk away. And no i don't give a shit about anthem, but you're being silly about this.

On topic, i've grown to accept the cosmetic exclusives and to some extent the 1-month exclusives, but just hope to god these 1-year exclusives don't start happening more cause it's no good for anyone.

No ones assuming what features it wont have though.. im simply saying based on the video we have, we know very little about the game therefore can conclude 1) You can play with other players (Potentially co-op) 2) Loot drops and thats pretty much it. Thanks for your opinion though!

Top Bottom