• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny makes $500 million in first 24 hours

If it's a sold-in figure, then wouldn't the number be based on Activision's sales and therefore not based on retail price but trade price? Ergo, division assuming a $60 game would be inaccurate?

Activision has a scary success-rate for being in such a volatile sector.

Especially when they limit the number of big IPs they have so much. They don't have many key franchises, but they sure as shit know how to pick them.

As much money in one day as they're paying Bungie for ten years...I know they don't get every penny, but holy shit.

TheHall

Not bad.

It's been a while since i logged 14 hours in 1 day in any game.

It's a fun game, but it will need DLC to keep it interesting for more than a few months.

$500 million well deserved

iceatcs

they're not getting 60$ per copy. maybe 40.

500/40 would be 12.5m... i don't think that's possible though

Company sold $500 million worth to the retailers, I think it mean full retail price. It didn't mean Activision got $500 million.

Squalor

banderas.png

duckr.png

hamchan

Man, Activision are masterful at their marketing. They can build up a release of a game to be such a huge event.

teknix

Neo Member
Makes sense considering how the dry spell for games on consoles has peaked this year. So many thirsty console gamers. So many...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Ubisoft introduces "Assassin's Creed Kismet"
Online Only, Play Ass Creed like never before, always doing assassinations or fetch quests

EA announces "EA Serenity"
Online Only, take every EA character/IP Persona ever made, and let them go do quests in a Dragon Age motif

Foshy

Company sold $500 million worth to the retailers, I think it mean full retail price. It didn't mean Activision got $500 million.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up then. Thought it meant the latter.

Also, noticed this tidbit:
It’s also the highest-selling day one digital console release in history.

But the game is content starved and there's no reviews because reasons and I watched a Twitch stream where they guy said it was bad and the story is dumb

ijjiOeIPsoLLw.gif

Nick_crx

Banned
Thats $500m in revenue.

Profit would be much smaller ie lucky to clear $100m....but with the amount of advertising....who knows??

also sold in?? how long will it take to clear all that stock?

Road

"sold more than $500 million of Destiny into retail stores and first parties worldwide"

Shpped + dwnloads.

Amused

they're not getting 60$ per copy. maybe 40.

500/40 would be 12.5m... i don't think that's possible though

Well, the $40 would be in the US. Biggest market, yes - but it's more than $40 most places I would think.

In Norway (small, small market) it costs around 599 NOK, $94.

Mainland Europe is 60 Euro? $77. UK is £60? $97.

Of course, the shops pay less there as well - but more than in the US i would think.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Since this is is sold-in, I'm eagerly awating to know actual sales numbers for the game. I suppose they'll be massive as well, though.

spekkeh

Banned
Activision has a scary success-rate for being in such a volatile sector.

Yeah. Their games look so average to me. I never got the hype for this one, but boom, they win again. Got to tip my hat to Kotick. Have some sympathy, have some taste.

Top Bottom