• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny makes $500 million in first 24 hours

Oersted

reminder that the GAF hype was a grass roots reaction to early impressions of the game's quality and money had nothing to with it.

if marketing didn't work, this industry would've already crashed ten times over by now. you should be thankful.

Erm, the availability of the Alpha and Beta are money related. And people gave those the benefit of doubt, esp with the things Bungie said.

Chris1

The budget was already stated as $500m, they broke even today.

$500m budget for the franchise (all destiny games over the next 10 years?), not this game alone. The real number for this one game will probably be closer to ~150m... anyways, they still profited so Activision must be pretty happy.

ender1986

Bah, this is only going to make developers mirror the formula. Keep your RPG outta mah shooters!

This is not a chocolate-peanut butter situation!

nelchaar

How many hundred-million/billion dollar franchises does that mean Activision have? Of all the crap we give, they are an excellent business.

mreddie

giphy.gif

Damn, now to see which version sold more...

Kyougar

Not bad.

Titanfall, the most hyped game in 2013 and first halve of 2014 had no press release. Only how much Mechs were killed *shrug*

KoopaTheCasual

I can't believe people ever thought Titanfall had a snowball's chance at being bigger than Destiny. Been saying this game was going to be stupidly massive, since day one.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Does that mean that every copy sold from now one could be construed as profit? You'd have to twist some semantics but take that 500 million, put it in the Bungie Account, the rest goes in your Checkings Account, your done. Wow. This Destiny thing is gonna be a hell of a 10 year ride.

While y'all are doing your calculations, don't forget Expansion Season Passes and Limited Editions.

Axass

Maybe I'm salty, maybe I'm stupid, maybe I'm self-centered... but I can't bring myself to be happy about this. Mostly because I think that such a smashing success will just foster the publishers' idea that shooters and AAA gaming with a monstruos budget are the only viable options in the industry to make money back guaranteed.

Feels weird when you're into gaming but don't care at all about a game that is the biggest new IP launch ever lol.
Maybe some day I'll have the time to get back into a competitive MP game again.

Chris1

I can't believe people ever thought Titanfall had a snowball's chance at being bigger than Destiny. Been saying this game was going to be stupidly massive, since day one.
I hope noone Titanfall was going to sell more than Destiny did total, it'll probably be at least double in sales by default due to being on more platforms. The real comparison will come from how much Destiny sold on Xbox One alone.

E92 M3

It made back it's ludicrous budget in a day off the back of marketing. It's amazing how dull a game can be when it was this expensive -_-

I am way more excited for No Man's Sky (a much cheaper game) than Destiny. In fact that game will be the reason I buy a PS4.

SparkTR

Maybe I'm salty, maybe I'm stupid, maybe I'm self-centered... but I can't bring myself to be happy about this. Mostly because I think that such a smashing success will just foster the publishers' idea that shooters and AAA gaming with a monstruos budget are the only viable options in the industry to make money back guaranteed.

You're a bit late, that idea was already fostered and proved over the course of last generation. At the very least it's going to bring about more Always Online AAA games into the mix.

KoopaTheCasual

I hope noone Titanfall was going to sell more than Destiny did total, it'll probably be at least double in sales by default due to being on more platforms. The real comparison will come from how much Destiny sold on Xbox One alone.
See, that's a conversation worth having, but before both released, some people were convinced Titanfall would move more copies. Shrug.

But yea, I'm really interested to see if Destiny XB1 outsold Titanfall XB1.

PSGames

I read somewhere that MS had first rights of refusal for this game?

Talk about inept decision makers if that's the case.

jcm

Development, marketing, logistics, production costs, salary and wages....thats just a few of the costs that go into delivering that copy of destiny to you.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. And those don't add up to $400M, notwithstanding the fact that your list is repetitious. Salary, wages, are the same thing, and they're part of the development costs.

The budget was already stated as $500m, they broke even today.

No the budget for the first game was not $500M.

Responding to a question from a fan, Bungie’s Eric Osborne repeated the developer’s Chief Operating Officer Pete Parsons’ explanation: “For marketing you'd have to ask Activision people, but for development costs, not anything close to $500 million,” Parsons told GameIndustry International in an interview. “I think that speaks a lot more to the long-term investment that we're making in the future of the product.”

“We’re pouring everything it takes into Destiny to ensure it meets our fans' expectations, and our own,” Osborne added. “Activision is, too. But the budget for Destiny, including associated marketing costs and pizza Wednesdays, is nowhere near 500 million dollars.”

OK that's hilarious. Not sure how I managed to miss that thread.

AHA-Lambda

$500m budget for the franchise (all destiny games over the next 10 years?), not this game alone. The real number for this one game will probably be closer to ~150m... anyways, they still profited so Activision must be pretty happy.

No the budget for the first game was not $500M.

No its not, it's just Destiny 1.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=891704

“To put that $500 million in context, that’s the whole entirety of the game. That’s development, manufacturing, marketing and so forth,” he said. “It sounds like a big amount but it doesn’t just fuel one aspect.

Axass

You're a bit late, that idea was already fostered and proved over the course of last generation. At the very least it's going to bring about more Always Online AAA games into the mix.

Yeah, I guess that's even more confimation. I don't like how the market is quickly becoming a dichotomy between AAA and indies, with a desert in the middle.

Mupod

Impressive and I'm glad Bungie managed to find success again after getting out from under the thumb of a gigantic evil corporation. Er...

But seriously I knew they were going to push this game hard, I just didn't think it would work so well. Maybe after the high profile success of the alpha/beta we'll see companies less shy of letting people play their games beforehand instead of not providing demos etc.

Still though, I'll give it a while before I consider buying it. I'd imagine with those sales we'll be hearing about a PC version soon.

Dali

I see commercials for this game everywhere. With what is no doubt a collosal marketing budget I sure hope it does ridiculous numbers to recoup that expense.

Top Bottom