• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny makes $500 million in first 24 hours

Seanspeed

Banned
But the game is content starved and there's no reviews because reasons and I watched a Twitch stream where they guy said it was bad and the story is dumb
This really isn't about how the game is in actuality, though.

Not saying its bad before the defense force jumps down my throat here, just trying to keep it reasonable.

jcm

Thats $500m in revenue.

Profit would be much smaller ie lucky to clear $100m....but with the amount of advertising....who knows??

also sold in?? how long will it take to clear all that stock?

You think they spent $400M on development and marketing of the game? Come on.

Nibel

Man, remember how low the hype was just a few months ago?

Then they released a alpha. Then a beta. Then they played their marketing muscles and boom - one of the most succesful launches of all time.

I need one clarification though: those rumored (?) $500 million dollars costs - are those for the entire Destiny 1 project (development, marketing) or for the entire Destiny franchise?

Also, I wonder if this means that the age of mainstream console online-only retail games is beginning.

Hugstable

Banned
Going to push a ton of PS4's.

Also PS3, Xbox 360 and Xbox One... lol This game is gonna sell no matter what it's on

Company sold $500 million worth to the retailers, I think it mean full retail price. It didn't mean Activision got $500 million.

Alright that makes alot more sense haha. They will still make their money back either way when you think about it though. Those copies they shipped are probably gonna sell easy with the hype this game got.

jcm

But the game is content starved and there's no reviews because reasons and I watched a Twitch stream where they guy said it was bad and the story is dumb

ijjiOeIPsoLLw.gif

Did they seriously make a perfume?

Pachter thinks the total cost including marketing may be 180m.

Sure, that sounds entirely possible. $400M does not.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Well deserved, really enjoying the game. The gameplay reminds me of Halo in many ways.

I think Sony bet on the right horse, they've been on a roll this gen.

I'm guessing 3.5-4 million sales on the PS4 out of the 10,000,000 on day 1.

September NPD is going to be real interesting. That Destiny PS4 bundle could have sold even more then I originally thought. Was thinking about 300-400K of those sold.

Deserving though. Destiny is incredibly fun. Loving every second of it. Now that I'm on the moon, even better. Environments are nuts and the missions are intense.

Nick_crx

Banned
You think they spent $400M on development and marketing of the game? Come on.

Development, marketing, logistics, production costs, salary and wages....thats just a few of the costs that go into delivering that copy of destiny to you.

Magnus

Destiny had this strange effect on everyone I know with a ps4. Everyone I know wasn't getting it until a week ago, when one friend said he was. This created a causality chain of extreme FOMO and one by one, we all fell prey to hype that hadn't even grabbed us until September.

Now we're all playing. Talk about creating success based almost entire on marketing and PR. (Not to say there isn't a great game underneath)

Destiny was destined to succeed.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
reminder that the GAF hype was a grass roots reaction to early impressions of the game's quality and money had nothing to with it.

if marketing didn't work, this industry would've already crashed ten times over by now. you should be thankful.

I'll never understand preordering.

How do you know if the game is a massive turd or not?

Because people played Alpha and then Beta?

Alpha and Beta is what created the hype for this game. If you don't remember all the videos and such were doing absolutely nothing for anyone. But then Alpha hit, and that basically revived the game with the positive impressions. And then again with Beta.

I had no issues pre-ordering since I knew I would enjoy it. And hey, shock, here I am enjoying it.

BadWolf

Holy fuck, they made their ridiculous budget back in a day?

And Miyamoto was wondering why people are jumping on the shooter train. I don't like them personally but they sure as heck sell.

E92 M3

One thing is for sure, Activision has some smart people working at their headquarters. Two huge hits (Skylanders and Destiny) in a relatively little time space.

AHA-Lambda

It made back it's ludicrous budget in a day off the back of marketing. It's amazing how dull a game can be when it was this expensive -_-

Activision has a scary success-rate for being in such a volatile sector.

Yeah, mind boggling how much money they have made with so little IP. God knows what it is but Bobby has an eye for success.

Top Bottom