• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I eagerly await the honest reviewers who think critically giving this game lower scores, and the igns of the world giving it 9s.

Why? Quake 3 didn't have one and it was a full priced $50 game back in 1999. Same with Unreal Tournament. Same with Tribes 2. Same with Battlefield 1942. Same with Battlefield 2.

None of those games were faulted at the time of release for having no single player or non competitive modes. Why is Titanfall?
UT did have a single player bot mode. It was like a campaign really. Q3 had bots too. Not sure about those other games though, I never played them. Titanfall has literally nothing to offer except online adversarial MP, which hurt it in many peoples eyes and that's why I never bought it.

Jarmel

Banned
So to the people saying, "but my end-game?", what fundamentally changes the game at level 20 to the point you can't review it? The shooting mechanics are the same, the world is the same, the quest dynamics are the same, the story is the same, and all major areas are accessible. Yes the Raid isn't available but that's one singular dungeon.

All that happens at 20 is you start the grinding.

kasane

As i said in another thread

I think destinys biggest downfall is being like an mmo but not wanting to be one. Also it wants to be social yet it somehow becomes more anti social

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
gamepro_ratings.png

(warning: this is not the Gamepro review of Destiny)

Dude fuck yes lol! Game pro reviews bring dat nostalgia for me. I pretty much agree with your rating.

I could be wrong, but didn't TF devs say shit like 'we're redefining the story mode by blending it seamlessly into the multiplayer mode!' or something like that? I feel like they did their fair share of 'story hyping', albeit in a different way.

They did, but it only came very late in the cycle. 99% of their marketing and focus was on the PvP mode. The reviews did suffer because of the "campaign" they did end up throwing together and I'm willing to bet the sequel has a short but intense COD style campaign.

Destiny has kept talking up their "epic" story from Day 1. I know people who have bought the game hoping to play through it like some sort of FPS Mass Effect. By most accounts, they have failed to deliver this. I'm sure the PvP and co-op is fine and the production values and worldbuilding look to have delivered, but not delivering something they've been talking a lot about should hurt them. A metacritic in the 70s would sent them the right sort of feedback - a half assed campaign is not acceptable if you promise a "epic" story.

Why? Quake 3 didn't have one and it was a full priced $50 game back in 1999. Same with Unreal Tournament. Same with Tribes 2. Same with Battlefield 1942. Same with Battlefield 2.

None of those games were faulted at the time of release for having no single player or non competitive modes. Why is Titanfall?

I'm not talking about reviewers 'faulting' games for not having single player modes, but people choosing not to buy a game due to lack of modes.

I've learned over the years that multiplayer only games aren't a good investment for me, personally. So I didn't buy Titanfall.

Seems like with a lack of matchmaking that if you don't have friends to play it with, it's not a very good game. But if you have friends...

Maybe they should have another sticker on the box next to "online required" that says "previously established friends required"
Pretty sure you can party up with people in the tower or out in the world. (If I'm mistaken I apologize, I always play with friends or solo.)

This really might be the Assassin's Creed 1 of this generation. Extremely hyped game coming out to mediocre reviews but still manages to create a mega franchise. A game with a great base to build off of but is plagued with repetitive mission design.

This. It's shocking how the game reminds me of Assassin's Creed 1. Lots of potential, amazing presentation, but such shallow and repetitive gameplay.

By the way, there was more story in Ass Creed 1 than in Destiny. Hell, even Dark Souls has more story than Destiny.

RK128

A 7 and a 8 aren't bad scores; I'm honestly impressed reviewers got through enough of the games content in the span of 2-3 days to put up a review XD! I'm not really that hyped up for this (largely waiting to get this whenever I pick up a PS4 next year) but I guess the game being so multiplayer centric is what hurt it so much?

If the game had some kind of single player mode (I mean, there are single player missions in the game from the little I saw online; maybe Activison and Bungie could of had the game have a 'off-line' mode for these missions or something :l) that used the core gameplay well, the reviewers would of had some more time to play the game and get some kind of review out.

I guess the game is failing to keep its promise of a Halo+Borderlands+MMO+RPG hybrid that was promised, making some disappointed with it :l.

I would like to think Bungie knows how to make amazing games (people loved there Halo games for a reason :D), so this should be a great time :). I guess the lack of a clear vision for this (fixed levels, more linear story, ect) is what is hurting this in the end.

I never played this and I'm sure that the points I'm bring up are completely wrong XD, but that is just what I can tell of the game from all its ads, hype and it being the 'big' game of this fall.

Like I said, Bungie makes amazing shooters, so I hope this is a success for them in the end :).

MormaPope

Banned
"One area that excels past the Halo standard, to me, is the story. It’s about aliens and space. Hell, it’s even about a savior of mankind in a sense."

He says its a better story than Halo by vaguely describing the same story of Halo.

Lol If aliens and space arent enought for you, Bungie outdid themselves with a story about the savior of mankind. He is impressed by cliche parts of the story.

Wow.

People in the OT have ripped Destiny's story apart, the general consensus for Destiny's story is its a lot worse than Halo 1 and 3's. That's the main criticism from people that love the game, like the game, or don't like the game.

Yeah I can see it ending up in the high 7's low 8's. There's a lot of good in it but man it gets held back by the most obvious shit that I'm sure a bunch of people noticed during production but they thought it'd be alright if they stayed the course.

I eagerly await the honest reviewers who think critically giving this game lower scores, and the igns of the world giving it 9s.

This basically reads like, "If you don't agree with my opinion, you are wrong, don't think critically and are a dishonest reviewer". Get off your high horse.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
Wow.

People in the OT have ripped Destiny's story apart, the general consensus for Destiny's story is its a lot worse than Halo 1 and 3's. That's the main criticism from people that love the game, like the game, or don't like the game.

Yea, I wouldn't take this review seriously; the reasoning is pretty poor.

Spinluck

My score would be a 5/10 at best. Not a happy chappy owning the digital CE.

- Poor AI
- Terrible attempt of a story; hampered by exposition style
- Ultra repetitive mission design
- No characterisation; all the NPCs in the tower are completely one-dimensional and add absolutely nothing
- Completely non-social unless you are in a fireteam of friends, in which case you could be playing any game and get the same experience
- Loading times are fucking atrocious
- Limited customisation, mostly meaningless cosmetic stuff and fails hard at even that
- No reason at all to explore the barren levels; there is literally nothing to discover, its clinically sterile

It has some solid points, music, graphics are nice, spawning a sparrow anywere to zoom off to your destination is very cool, PvP is decent fun.

But damn is it a disappointment everywhere it counts.

Damn, sucks you're not liking it.

Mind explaining why you think the AI sucks? I actually thought it was pretty fucking good.

I didn't really hope that much for Destiny, to be honest. All I can see is PSO2 in a different universe with pvp. This kind of lobby/repetitive missions game has its own fanbase, not everyone will love it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This is why I was confused by the supercharged hype after the Alphan and Beta. I guess I felt, after playing both, that Destiny was more of a 7. I feel like the reviews will average out in the same sort of range. Odd, but the game is selling well. If it's not terrific now, then it can't be that hard to improve it for the sequels. Especially if they cut that last gen crapola.

Maybe I'll pick it up when it drops in price a good amount. Do Activision games still do that? Half serious.

So to the people saying, "but my end-game?", what fundamentally changes the game at level 20 to the point you can't review it? The shooting mechanics are the same, the world is the same, the quest dynamics are the same, the story is the same, and all major areas are accessible. Yes the Raid isn't available but that's one singular dungeon.

All that happens at 20 is you start the grinding.

Kinda surprising how much slack people are willing to cut Destiny. People routinely write off other games based on a demo or a freaking preview video.

KDC720

Its gonna be really interesting to see the reviews for this.

I love Bungie, but the beta for Destiny didn't exactly wow me, so I planned to pick it up on black Friday. Not so sure about that now, I think I might skip this one as there is a lot of games coming out in October that I really want.

I'm glad I decided to wait and see on this game. So far the impressions don't make it sound awful but certainly something I can wait on

- No reason at all to explore the barren levels; there is literally nothing to discover, its clinically sterile

There are hidden chests on every map. Also, just dicking around is how you get public quests.

It's not a lot, but there are certainly reasons.

sp3000

I don't even understand this. What does writing have to do with the actual game mechanics?

Nothing really, but the writing is really really awful. Much worse than any Halo game by Bungie, which makes you wonder what Joseph Staten was up to for 4 years.

- Poor AI
- No characterisation; all the NPCs in the tower are completely one-dimensional and add absolutely nothing
- Completely non-social unless you are in a fireteam of friends, in which case you could be playing any game and get the same experience
- Limited customisation, mostly meaningless cosmetic stuff and fails hard at even that

It has some solid points, music, graphics are nice, spawning a sparrow anywere to zoom off to your destination is very cool, PvP is decent fun.

Thanks for the mini-review. Those would be dealbreakers for me.

Striek

Damn, sucks you're not liking it.

Mind explaining why you think the AI sucks? I actually thought it was pretty fucking good.

Absolutely, I'll quote myself;

Destiny's AI is broken to non-existant. Enemies aren't smart at all, 100% of any (very little) challenge comes from being a) mobbed by a lot of enemies at once from every direction or b) bosses/sub-bosses who do ridiculous AoE damage (like the tank thing).

Enemies will face the wrong direction, run towards you from too far, randomly take cover or break from cover for no apparent reason, elite enemies (knights, wizards etc.) for the most part simply stand out in the wide open then warp a short distance away after taking damage.

The worst are thralls, an enemy that simply runs at you to melee isn't awful in theory, but they only chase you a hilariously small distance before they will literally stop and walk backwards while facing you. Bungie can't even get the most basic, purposefully braindead AI correct/to play well with the game design.

Would you like to give me some examples of good AI? I'm genuinely curious as to what others have experienced that I haven't after many hours sunk in the game.

commedieu

Banned
Meh. It seems that ya`ll were super buzzed/hyped for the game. And you even played it too. Everytime im in the gaming section, there is buzz about Destiny. I can't help but have the feeling that our immature media just wants to shit on something to create buzz/hits/whatever and what not.

I haven't seen gaf this excited about a game in a while. I don't know, as time goes on.. do these folks opinions really matter? and in 2014 with everyone having access to their own review sources/media/word of digital mouth/etc... do reviews really hold the weight that they used to in the industry?

I just don't like to see people any bit of bummed or "well its not 9/10" when we know that every single person arbitrarily gives a number anyway. Its not like the collected average was using the same criteria to arrive at that #.

I have no dog in the fight. But I just browsing through, it seemed a lot of people were happy with the way the beta went, and were even trying to change their to get it early -- heheh.

- Poor AI

Your review makes no sense. You don't seem to like the game at all yet you give it a 5/10.
Where is the other half, the things you like?

nib95

Banned
Kinda surprising how much slack people are willing to cut Destiny. People routinely write off other games based on a demo or a freaking preview video.
But the majority of people loved the Alpha, in fact it massively swayed opinion in favour of the game. The BETA was a bit more divisive but still mostly enjoyed, and the game is more divisive, but still also mostly being enjoyed.

MormaPope

Banned
Meh. It seems that ya`ll were super buzzed/hyped for the game. And you even played it too. Everytime im in the gaming section, there is buzz about Destiny. I can't help but have the feeling that our immature media just wants to shit on something to create buzz/hits/whatever and what not.

I haven't seen gaf this excited about a game in a while. I don't know, as time goes on.. do these folks opinions really matter? and in 2014 with everyone having access to their own review sources/media/word of digital mouth/etc... do reviews really hold the weight that they used to in the industry?

I just don't like to see people any bit of bummed or "well its not 9/10" when we know that every single person arbitrarily gives a number anyway. Its not like the collected average was using the same criteria to arrive at that #.

I have no dog in the fight. But I just browsing through, it seemed a lot of people were happy with the way the beta went, and were even trying to change their to get it early -- heheh.

Then you haven't been in the OT.

People were bummed out about very specific things yesterday, all day. No reviews in sight.

Absolutely, I'll quote myself;

Destiny's AI is broken to non-existant. Enemies aren't smart at all, 100% of any (very little) challenge comes from being a) mobbed by a lot of enemies at once from every direction or b) bosses/sub-bosses who do ridiculous AoE damage (like the tank thing).

Enemies will face the wrong direction, run towards you from too far, randomly take cover or break from cover for no apparent reason, elite enemies (knights, wizards etc.) for the most part simply stand out in the wide open then warp a short distance away after taking damage.

The worst are thralls, an enemy that simply runs at you to melee isn't awful in theory, but they only chase you a hilariously small distance before they will literally stop and walk backwards while facing you. Bungie can't even get the most basic, purposefully braindead AI correct/to play well with the game design.

Would you like to give me some examples of good AI? I'm genuinely curious as to what others have experienced that I haven't after many hours sunk in the game.
This shit made me laugh so hard in the beta. And the respawning at close range. It was like seeing behind the curtains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom