• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Halo 5: Guardians matchmaking in Arena mode

Dynasty8

Banning players who quit, betray, or are always away from their controller is a blessing. One of the best things to happen to this game.

Pop

This sounds fantastic

But as a lonewolve, I'm not sure you'll be able to rank up efficiently. Seems like it will take a lot longer to rank up as a lonewolve.

Ranks will reset in certain playlists starting in December when Seasons kick in.

When it says your rank will reset for certain playlists, I wonder if they'll do a round robin thing and just cycle through all the playlists or keep it to mixed ones like Team Arena. I'd probably prefer the former, although that means people could lose all their progress. I'd be pissed if I had just got to Champion then that playlist gets reset.

I'll just intentionally play like an idiot for the first 10 qualifying matches so I can beat up on noobs in the lower ranks.

When it says your rank will reset for certain playlists, I wonder if they'll do a round robin thing and just cycle through all the playlists or keep it to mixed ones like Team Arena. I'd probably prefer the former, although that means people could lose all their progress. I'd be pissed if I had just got to Champion then that playlist gets reset.

According to 343i it will only be for specific playlists. Assuming Team Arena, Slayer, and Breakout to be a few of the main ones. Every Season (every month) Ranks will reset and you will have to prove yourself again. Maybe one season you only placed Diamond or Platinum, next season you can try to get placed in Onyx or Champion.

Ramirez

This shit looks and sounds so good, I really can't stress enough how great it is that 343 actually listened to their hardcore community.

Zeta Oni

This is why im hoping HaloGaf comes through for me, ill have no trouble making the gold or diamond ranks at first, but as a solo player its gonna be hard to go up even higher.

Champion is probably down right impossible without a dedicated team.

Does SR rank show in arena lobbies btw?

nba-shaq2-desire_20120321_207026323.png

Obscured

This sounds fantastic

But as a lonewolve, I'm not sure you'll be able to rank up efficiently. Seems like it will take a lot longer to rank up as a lonewolve.

I'm in the same boat. I prefer to play with others but always seem to be on at other times and have to lone wolf it. So I'll try to find others to play with and stick to Warzone when I'm on my own.

I like the way this is sounding, like a continuing refinement of what they've worked on before and taking the best ideas of other systems.

Losing games will cause your progress within a rank to decrease, but you will never drop down a whole rank from losing. For example, if you spend all month working your way into Silver, losing won’t drop you back to Bronze.

This is awesome news. With splatoons ranked system, I was always just stressed out id lose all my progress after going on a losing funk. Now I can just kick back and relax without too much of a loss.

Madness

Aim to win all 10 matches in the start, otherwise, no matter how good you are, you will be caught up in the grind. They even said losing will rarely drop you large ranks and as we saw from the beta, near impossible to go from onyx to iron or bronze to semi-pro again, unless you somehow win all of your next 100-200 games. No one I knew was able to go above one level or down more than one level once they were placed j the beta. Meaning those first ten matches will save you a long headache of grinding.

They can alleviate this by making sure no one is able to hit above diamond after just 10 matches. It would be like giving someone a 45 brigadier after ten matches in the old games.

Otherwise, if you get 10 matches and hit silver (beta bronze), it'll be super tough to go up. Let's face it, no matter how good you are, sometimes things work against you. This is all anecdotal though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This sounds fantastic

As a majority lone wolf player, and if the beta was anything to go by, you (and I) should be fine. More than any other halo title, the beta very consistently placed me in extremely competitive matches and I climbed up several sub ranks without a team. You have a much harder time doing this in all the other halos.

Ramirez

Aim to win all 10 matches in the start, otherwise, no matter how good you are, you will be caught up in the grind. They even said losing will rarely drop you large ranks and as we saw from the beta, near impossible to go from onyx to iron or bronze to semi-pro again, unless you somehow win all of your next 100-200 games. No one I knew was able to go above one level or down more than one level once they were placed j the beta. Meaning those first ten matches will save you a long headache of grinding.

They can alleviate this by making sure no one is able to hit above diamond after just 10 matches. It would be like giving someone a 45 brigadier after ten matches in the old games.

Otherwise, if you get 10 matches and hit silver (beta bronze), it'll be super tough to go up. Let's face it, no matter how good you are, sometimes things work against you. This is all anecdotal though.

I went from like Gold 2 to Semi Pro in the beta?

As a majority lone wolf player, and if the beta was anything to go by, you (and I) should be fine. More than any other halo title, the beta very consistently placed me in extremely competitive matches and I climbed up several sub ranks without a team. You have a much harder time doing this in all the other halos.

Yeah, I played the Beta entirely Solo. Had to claw my way out of Gold Tier 1 all the to Onyx Tier 2 (almost made it to Onyx III before Beta ended). But my experience was different with regards to the matchmaking. So many many matches had much lower ranks. Even when I was Onyx I would frequently match with Bronze and Silver (on my team and the other team). They would just get stomped. Hopefully the final game is better and the matches are closer.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
but you will never drop down a whole rank from losing. For example, if you spend all month working your way into Silver, losing won’t drop you back to Bronze.

And thus, the "ranking" system was a complete failure made worse by an awful seasonal system...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah, I played the Beta entirely Solo. Had to claw my way out of Gold Tier 1 all the to Onyx Tier 2 (almost made it to Onyx III before Beta ended). But my experience was different with regards to the matchmaking. So many many matches had much lower ranks. Even when I was Onyx I would frequently match with Bronze and Silver (on my team and the other team). They would just get stomped. Hopefully the final game is better and the matches are closer.
Even still, were your match scores close? I sware I had so many 47-50, and closer!, matches

Top Bottom