• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Halo 5: Guardians matchmaking in Arena mode

D3VI0US

How can they not figure out a way to tie ranking more to individual performance than rank? I know it's complex and there are some variables but if I am solo queue and come up against a premade team which happens in MCC all the time there's usually a noob on my team with horrible kdr or an afk or a quitter that swings the whole match. Why would you penalize good players for that. Just doesn't make any fucking sense.

Heigic

Not being demoted is nice. SC2 pretty much made this system but you could get demoted which just meant everyone got ladder anxiety and quit.

MaGlock

Just saying, getting dominated sucks and starting a game one or less people also sucks and makes waiting the game out a longer process. Have some respect for the other 7 people in the lobby.

Madness

What is the CSR Score for Onyx and Champion? Classic Ranks?

It's just a number. In the beta it went from 1500-2100. Only the best 200 players in the world could hit pro, and only the top 20k players in the world would hit semi-pro which is supposed to be 2% of the total playerbase. Plus if you hit one of those ranks but stopped playing you wouldn't be able to maintain it since it's dynamic and someone else could eventually bump you down.

Going to be interesting when the game is launched how many here can hit Onyx and Champion. That would mean they really are 'the best of the best of the best, sir'.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just saying, getting dominated sucks and starting a game one or less people also sucks and makes waiting the game out a longer process. Have some respect for the other 7 people in the lobby.

But I don't like this map that much so fuck everyone in this lobby.

I think since Halo 2 and after the tens of thousands of matches I've played, I've only quit less than ten matches. It drives me insane how join session in progress won't ever come back because Halo players would bitch about it to no end.

Ramirez

How can they not figure out a way to tie ranking more to individual performance than rank? I know it's complex and there are some variables but if I am solo queue and come up against a premade team which happens in MCC all the time there's usually a noob on my team with horrible kdr or an afk or a quitter that swings the whole match. Why would you penalize good players for that. Just doesn't make any fucking sense.

I mean if you care that much about your rank, find some teammates. They tried to measure individual skill in Reach and it was a terrible system.

^ JIP has NO place in a competitive game.

Dynasty8

Why? I play for my enjoyment and if I dont like certain maps/modes I'm not going to stick around.
I didnt say quit during a game.

I get what you're saying man, but it sucks for everyone else. If this becomes acceptable, everyone and their moms will start doing it. Games will be much harder to find because something you personally love might be hated by another person and vice versa. It will be REALLY annoying to see players drop out at the last second just because they're a bit picky.

I say just deal with it and learn to love all the maps this game has to offer (variety is never a bad thing). Sometimes the more you play a map, the better you get at it and the more you start to like it. This has been the case for me since CS, SOCOM 2, and previous Halo games.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
One is during a match the other is not?

And what's the difference for the people left behind?

Actually, in the example that you think is bad you're more useful because the whole match isn't uneven. If you quit before the match even starts than the whole time it's uneven.

How is the second example actually better than the first?

So we are going to get...new maps, updated playlists, new CSR season, new reqs, every beginning of the month, and get a new playlist every weekend. sweet.

If you leave I'm the lobby, won't it still matchmake for a replacement before the match actually starts?

I think that's where the confusion lies

Pretty sure they match parties with parties and solos with solos.

If you leave I'm the lobby, won't it still matchmake for a replacement before the match actually starts?

I think that's where the confusion lies

Thats what I'm wondering but according to the horde in here it's not so.

Doesnt really matter because my internet sucks butt. 😞

Dynasty8

All quitters and team killers should be locked into this gif during every ban:

Shame-Bell-Lady-From-Game-Thrones.gif

MaGlock

Hopefully the penalty kicks in the second the map is chosen. You want to play empire and truth all day get some friends and rock a custom.

Kibbles

One is during a match the other is not?

It's Not like I'd be quitting because my team sucks and we are getting smashed "so fuck it!". Simple question, when do you officially get labeled as a quitter exactly in Halo 5?
The team is still down a player since the game doesn't fill your spot. Before or during, doesn't matter.

Grazzt

All quitters and team killers should be locked into this gif during every ban:

Shame-Bell-Lady-From-Game-Thrones.gif
Sometimes when the game was too laggy to play and everyone was hitting the wall while I stayed dead, I would just quit. And I think it's better than wasting time waiting and giving the opponent team easy kills.

Deception

I mean if you care that much about your rank, find some teammates. They tried to measure individual skill in Reach and it was a terrible system.

^ JIP has NO place in a competitive game.
Ram we must get that team of 4 going so we can get back to Onyx

Madness

This list is all sorts of wrong.

Were you able to get an Xbox One Ply? Would be nice to play with you. I don't know if you played the beta but I was just basing that list off the people I could remember off the top of my head who had hit the top tiers.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Why do I always see you saying doom and gloom in every Halo thread? This isn't a bad system as it's basically the standard for e-sports.

LOL. Do you EVER have anything positive to say?

Please do explain why I have to be positive about awful garbage? Especially from a developer like 343?

To know the outcome of this "ranking" system, just look at Halo:Reach. An abysmal failure.

Placement matches are completely awful by default. Flip a coin 10 times and use that to determine a players rank? Fuck off.

No derank? Great, so little jimmy who magically gets placed in a rank far higher than he should ever because of the bullshit of placement matches is now stuck there, making his team lose constantly while getting completely shat on every game. That is fun for no one.

And that is assuming 343 can actually make the system function anything like they claim. Their record on that speaks for it self.

Halo 4, absolutely no skill based ranking or matchmaking.

MCC, completely broken ranks and matchmaking.

Halo 5 beta matching pros with people playing their first game.

So do tell me why I should be positive about this?

FyreWulff

They did this in Reach at launch. People didn't like it.

Top Bottom