• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Halo 5: Guardians matchmaking in Arena mode

Madness

I went from like Gold 2 to Semi Pro in the beta?

Eh, I said it was anecdotal. You're obviously a much better player and played more with teammates as opposed to randoms no? Who knows. The few friends/family I know, very rarely did they move more than one whole rank up or down. They'd win 3 matches, lose 2, win 4, lose 3 just staying around there.

Madness = BK confirmed

Yeah definitely. I really suck these days, nowhere close to being as good as I was for Halo 2. It's my eyes too. I'm gonna avoid Arena until I'm completely used to the shooting and control schemes again, especially after all this time spent playing taken king.

Problem with the Reach system was that it was only in one mode. Having this be default is a great idea

That's how I always felt about it. Its made it some weird off-shoot that only the try-hards joined in, and it seemed mostly irrelevant to the playerbase at large. Having it playlist-wide means it'll affected everybody, which in turn will get them into the idea of doing the seasons.

wowzors

How is everyone saying great? Hope y'all enjoy your stay in ELO hell, rank should be based on personal skill fuck teamwork based rankings.

Even still, were your match scores close? I aware I had so many 47-50, and closer!, matches

I would have to say, sometimes? I am going off of memory from nearly a year ago. But I do remember some games like this (a very intense momentary standoff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyHhM8-yeE

But I also remember many games from the Beta having a difference of 10 - 15 kills (or more), but I also do have quite a few clips saved that show score differences of a couple or so. One of the other problems from the Beta were people being placed in Ranks they shouldn't have been placed in (like being placed higher and suffering for it by being matched with higher competition).

SalientOne

Internet Batman
LOL. Do you EVER have anything positive to say?

9e93ca0e_Nope.gif

Madness

We need more tiers of rank for extra terrible players like myself.

Wood, Grass, Soil, Mud, Bedrock

Should've kept iron tier in my opinion. Iron, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond and then Platinum and Onyx as the pro ranks. Champion just sounds weird.

It's crazy though, despite all their talk of e-peen over the years as to why they didn't add ranks, I can't wait. Ranks add so much longevity to multi-player. Even if I suck, I know my level, that I can improve, see what others are. Halo 5 shaping up to be the premiere competitive shooter on consoles now. Even though we may hate sprint, the pros hate it, as a package, Arena will do so much. Using REQ money to fund larger prize pools for HCS tournaments, spectator mode, etc.

What is their definition of quiting? During a game (obviously bad) or in the lobby? Because If I dont enjoy a certain map/mode that pops up I'm dropping out with a quickness.

Why? I play for my enjoyment and if I dont like certain maps/modes I'm not going to stick around.
I didnt say quit during a game.

Imagine a teammate not showing up to the game because he doesn't like the town or the other team

fuck that teammate, you let the team down. Punishment is coming.

Madness

At least because of no split screen, we don't get people's guests dropping neg bombs in games contributing to losses as well.

I'll just intentionally play like an idiot for the first 10 qualifying matches so I can beat up on noobs in the lower ranks.

No excuses. When all else fails blame it on ground pound and ADS. Own your rank sir.

Come be middling with me.

Edit: They should have a grown people with jobs tier.

jtar86

Seems like they learned there lesson with 4's multiplayer dropping players as fast as it did. All this stuff sounds fun and is a really great idea.

16BitNova

So just to clarify. Seasonal rank resets will only occur on certain playlist right? Some playlist will have your ranks be continuous throughout the months (years) and some playlist will reset every month?

Also between Onyx and Champion, you will be able to drop from the Champion rank down to Onyx? So basically Champions will be constantly changing? But every other rank once you are in a tier you stay within said tier?

What is their definition of quiting? During a game (obviously bad) or in the lobby? Because If I dont enjoy a certain map/mode that pops up I'm dropping out with a quickness.

Ugh... It's players like you that ruin multiplayer.
And yes, that's obviously considered quitting.

So just to clarify. Seasonal rank resets will only occur on certain playlist right? Some playlist will have your ranks be continuous throughout the months (years) and some playlist will reset every month?

Also between Onyx and Champion, you will be able to drop from the Champion rank down to Onyx? So basically Champions will be constantly changing? But every other rank once you are in a tier you stay within said tier?

Ugh... It's players like you that ruin multiplayer.
And yes, that's obviously considered quitting.

I ruin multiplayer because I refuse to play maps and modes I dont enjoy?

Remember I never said I quit during games only before a game even starts.

If you quit in the lobby and we get a replacement then whatever. If you quit in the game then you are an unpleasant tallywhacker.

Thats what I said but apparently even that is bad. Lol

link1201

I wonder is the idea behind not lowering a whole rank an effort to prevent de-ranking on purpose or is it merely to keep people from getting discouraged?

Top Bottom