• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Halo 5: Guardians matchmaking in Arena mode

Nutter

Please do explain why I have to be positive about awful garbage? Especially from a developer like 343?

To know the outcome of this "ranking" system, just look at Halo:Reach. An abysmal failure.

Placement matches are completely awful by default. Flip a coin 10 times and use that to determine a players rank? Fuck off.

No derank? Great, so little jimmy who magically gets placed in a rank far higher than he should ever because of the bullshit of placement matches is now stuck there, making his team lose constantly while getting completely shat on every game. That is fun for no one.

And that is assuming 343 can actually make the system function anything like they claim. Their record on that speaks for it self.

Halo 4, absolutely no skill based ranking or matchmaking.

MCC, completely broken ranks and matchmaking.

Halo 5 beta matching pros with people playing their first game.

So do tell me why I should be positive about this?

Halo and its direction is clearly not for you anymore. I would suggest what Ram said, move on. There are many other games waiting for your rage.

link1201

I'm really happy they haven't pushed this system off into a corner. I am excited to see how this works with a larger population size.

Naked Lunch

The problem with this is im a semi decent player but not god tier. I got to onxy in the beta on day one - had tons of fun and played pretty damn good in the qualifiers, but the compo was booty. When I got to onyx I got completely destroyed every match and was forever stuck there with the nerds. I got unlucky smashing some complete noobs for my qualifiers and was punished for it for the duration of the beta.

Blueblur1

Please do explain why I have to be positive about awful garbage? Especially from a developer like 343?

To know the outcome of this "ranking" system, just look at Halo:Reach. An abysmal failure.

Placement matches are completely awful by default. Flip a coin 10 times and use that to determine a players rank? Fuck off.

No derank? Great, so little jimmy who magically gets placed in a rank far higher than he should ever because of the bullshit of placement matches is now stuck there, making his team lose constantly while getting completely shat on every game. That is fun for no one.

And that is assuming 343 can actually make the system function anything like they claim. Their record on that speaks for it self.

Okay, you don't like it. So what are you going to do about it? Because complaining on GAF isn't really going to result in anything.

link1201

I hope we get some feedback after the first month or so.. I would love too see how well the system works. For instance how many games end closely vs how many are stompfests.

Random17

Halo and its direction is clearly not for you anymore. I would suggest what Ram said, move on. There are many other games waiting for your rage.
Apparently neither is CSGO, because there appear to be some similarities between the ranking systems.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Oh you!

I forgot about how edgelord your username is though. You should make it ALLCAPS so people can sense the eminence of your Becoming.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
srs doe

This are some sexy ass icons.

jfeWmXi.jpg

Madness

csr-banners_champion-4c12c8877bb744f48bc77def1f77ff77.jpg

Fuck, you just know kids will be in awe at whoever they see with this emblem because it means something, you're one of the top 200 players in the whole world. Purposely made it look the best and unlike Inheritor or General 50, going to be very hard to game the system to get one of these ranks no? Especially because it's dynamic and just because you hit pro/champion, doesn't mean you'll stay Champion.

Kawngi

I'm legit super pumped for this shit, I loved grinding ranks in Halo 2 and this looks even much better than that was

Madness

Oooooo yes. *crosses off on bingo card*

1zJVNJC.png

Prior to Ike Amadi, I'd have been guilty of the Locke voice acting one. But if this game isn't working perfectly at 12:01 midnight launch, I'm going to be irrationally upset. I know what a strain it's always been, but after MCC I can't handle it. Especially because I'll have been waiting in line, coming home and waiting hours while disc and patch install.

Can't wait though, just 10/11 days left.

Josh if you're still reading is there any plans to have the 343 pros take on the HCS pros again? Remember all the trash talking after the Halo 2 matches about quad host, poor game types, how it should've been H2A etc. I think it'd be good time to have the pros throwdown again.

Sheeeeeit sounds similar to Reach's system and I think the highest I for sure got was Gold there? I think I may have very briefly hit Onyx for a season idk I gotta check my stats.

I was mostly a solo player then and TBH I wasn't bad but I don't think I was that really great back then. Wondering if I can beat it this time.

Last two FPSes I've put a lot of time in (Destiny and Titanfall) I've maintained like a 2.0+ and a 4.0+ KD but those games have lots of goofy shit in them. Time to see if I'm the same scrub from my H2 days!

Kawngi

Yikes, hope I never reach this level of cynicism

Always thought the Reach Arena was a solid foundation, and 343 is nicely fleshing things out here. All of this sounds great, especially the level of detail we have on the system and its penalties before release.

I'm not really all that great at competitive Halo, but I'll always give it a try, probably a few weeks in, after the hardcore day-one multiplayer folks have been placed in tiers where they don't have to deal with me bringing em down ;p

Take this system, maintain even starts, at 60fps with dedicated servers for all modes, with non-gameplay-affecting rewards and progression, monthly updates and resets, and such an early beta that the devs had time to gather statistics and feedback and actually respond to it and you've got something really special.

Halo 5 has spectator mode too right? I might want to watch some of that before jumping in.

Welfare

Such a great start. You don't have to be positive about anything.
What was wrong with the Reach system? After season 7 introduced the Win/Loss system, Arena improved.
Get better if your win/loss equates to a coin flip.
This seems like it would be such a rarity, and with seasons, this is a complete non issue.

Halo 4 has CSR.

MCC I have no idea about. I don't play it that much any more.

Halo 5 was a uh, beta?

Don't.

link1201

I love how much thought seems to have gone into some of the medals such as reversal:
To earn a Reversal Medal, you have to single-handedly eliminate an enemy that has reduced you to 75% health before you first damage them. We spent a ton of time tuning this Medal to feel just right: how much damage does a player need to deal before this activates? Can the kill be assisted? Can you earn it while you have Overshield? One question we discussed at length was whether or not we should let power weapon kills count towards earning a Reversal. In the end, we decided that a Reversal is the ultimate out-play: power weapon and vehicle kills won’t trigger it. Whenever you earn a Reversal, you know that you completely wrecked your opponent.

RyudBoy

All of this sounds very good. I'll be surprised it I ever make it into the gold category. Myself from 5 years ago would've made it!

JackHerer

The medals actually look pretty good this time. Compared to Halo 4 at least they have color and variety. I hope they added the sniper headshot medal back in as that was absent from Halo 4 and I don't remember it being in the beta. You just got a generic headshot medal instead of the gold crosshairs/star from previous games. I really missed that medal as it was so satisfying to see it pop up.

Ranking sounds good enough. Win/loss is the best way to determine rank in team game types.

link1201

Man those new emblems look so damn good. Loved hearing Max talk through the design language and thought process behind each one.

Pretty cool. If I read correctly the perfect kill medal will be different for each weapon which is also a nice touch.

Excellent.

Seasons are great, and that Silver has my name on it.

FTFY ;)

Just kidding, I'm probably thinking of myself. I might be good enough to get into gold, but I highly doubt I'll see onyx in any playlists unless I start rolling with a regular crew and hone the Halo skills that have gone dormant since my heydays of Halo 2 matchmaking.

Also, can I get a collective "A-Fucking-Men!" for no join in progress? Blessed be 343i for getting rid of that nonsense, at least in Arena. Personally I'd prefer it across Warzone too. After all we have the banhammer for quitters, so let's let JiP die the death it deserves. JiP, in my opinion (I'm no dev, and no expert, so yeah just my opinion) is nothing more than a crutch to prop up playlists with low population numbers. If you keep people playing, JiP isn't necessary, as it just penalizes people that are searching playlists alone. More than 90% of the time when you get into a match via JiP, you're on the losing side. Of course 85% of all percentages are made up on the spot 100% of the time by 50% of posters, so what do I know.

I hope the party restrctions are back from Halo 3.
When im searching alone i shouldnt get matched against a party of 4.

I highly doubt this will be the case. Arena is designed to be the most competitive playspace in Halo. If you go in alone, expect to get wrecked by premade teams sometimes. I'm sure it will try to match you against other loners/randoms/pugs, but if that search doesn't find you an opponent quick enough, you'll get tossed into a lobby of other loners versus a premade team. Get used to disappointment if you search alone too often. I've already resigned myself to these occurrences unless I can make some good competitive Halo friends, and quickly.

Like how I broke your tender little heart on beyond to the point that you resorted to neg bombing me? Okay.

I read your post they are responding to and I'm not quite sure what you are worried about. Halo 5's beta matchmaking was already working quite well and they have improved it in terms of quality and functionality. There is really no perfect solution to matchmaking, but this shows a marked improvement over all the past Halo's. Their approach to matchmaking is pretty similar or heavily influenced by CSGO's with the bannable offenses and ranking system. The 10 qualifying matches is a much better way than starting everyone at rank 1.

Why don't you just wait and see?

This is exciting news.

krang

I do feel like it genuinely infuriates some people to know that other people really enjoy Halo, or have anything positive to say about 343i. I've said this before, but it's hard to tell whether this is a forum for people who love or people who hate gaming, sometimes.

These look great. We'll see how it works in practice, but it's looking like they've made the right decisions. The placement of these beautiful medals on the UI is also prominent - I'm hoping that, along with the open code on stats, will get me back into aiming to collect them again.

Haven't had time to read through the whole thread, so sorry if this is repetitive.

but you will never drop down a whole rank from losing. For example, if you spend all month working your way into Silver, losing won’t drop you back to Bronze.

I don't like this. Say someone ranks up to Diamond League from Platinum, now said player is doing terrible in the Diamond league. Say... he loses 10 matches in a row. He can never derank back to Platinum, where he might truly place? Or am I misreading this?

Coming from another super competitive game in CSGO, I kind of don't like this. It's a terrible feeling when you derank to a lower division/rank, but sometimes it's necessary to ensure the higher divisions CONSISTENTLY play well.

Anyways, sweet. Not a fan of the monthly seasons, but whatever, gives me a goal on achieving Champion each season! :D Game is gonna be so much fun! Really hope Arena is as incredible as it sounds, and as incredible as it was in the beta.

Onxy life.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I read your post they are responding to and I'm not quite sure what you are worried about. Halo 5's beta matchmaking was already working quite well and they have improved it in terms of quality and functionality. There is really no perfect solution to matchmaking, but this shows a marked improvement over all the past Halo's. Their approach to matchmaking is pretty similar or heavily influenced by CSGO's with the bannable offenses and ranking system. The 10 qualifying matches is a much better way than starting everyone at rank 1.

Halo 5 beta matchmaking was pretty bad actually.

There were countless players who would not even get passed a staff captain in onyx/semi pro.

Searching at semi pro would match bronze kids and kids who haven't even played 10 games.

Connections were almost universally awful for Australians.

The only thing that seems like an actual step forward is the ban systems.

oh wait....
Why don't you just wait and see?

wellthereitis.jiffy

The catch all halo defense phrase.

Oh you!

I forgot about how edgelord your username is though. You should make it ALLCAPS so people can sense the eminence of your Becoming.

I probably laughed harder at this than I should have.

Oh who am I kidding, I didn't laugh hard enough! I haven't even spit out my soda yet.

Finally, a rank that perfectly describes what I am..

A CHAMPION.

You're so cute. Top 200 in the world in any given playlist? Them guys gonna be like unicorns, man.

nxh4jlQ.jpg

Dynasty8

There were countless players who would not even get passed a staff captain in onyx/semi pro.

Searching at semi pro would match bronze kids and kids who haven't even played 10 games.

oh wait....

wellthereitis.jiffy

Simple. Don't buy the game... Halo is no longer for you. Coming here with your pessimistic and toxic attitude is not going to change anything.

Even the developers who worked their asses off on the game don't want you to get their game.

I think it's time to move on to another community and make them feel miserable.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Like how I broke your tender little heart on beyond to the point that you resorted to neg bombing me? Okay.

Are you like, super young? Serious question. If so apologies. Not trying to be a bully. It's just a video game. Sorry I was mean to you, I just kind of assumed you weren't a kid. My bad.

oh wait....

wellthereitis.jiffy

I played a huge amount of the beta and didn't come across those problems. I wonder how frequent they are.

You australian? Seems like Australia has a hard time with game matchmaking in general.

edit: btw, "wait and see" really applies to anything in life. Wait until a finished product is out and make an assessment. Has nothing to do with Halo.

Random17

Even the developers who worked their asses off on the game don't want you to get their game.
That's the most telling statement, actually. Both Josh Holmes and Frankie personally came into this thread to tell him to go away. Two senior developers personally telling a fan not to buy the game is fairly unusual, lol.

Are you like, super young? Serious question. If so apologies. Not trying to be a bully. It's just a video game. Sorry I was mean to you, I just kind of assumed you weren't a kid. My bad.

Ouch!

On topic: If Halo 5 can eliminate the weird rubber banding I experienced in Reach/3, I can't complain. NZ/AUS always gets shafted, but this is nothing new in any non-PC game, with an exception to Battlefield and its server browser.

Top Bottom