• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer: We’re working on an Xbox One VR game for 2017 (via Ars)

God yes. This E3 is going to be so fucking awesome.
If anyone doubts me they could go check Rebellion's E3 page :p.

I mean, filters aren't really a good indication of much but I don't know why they would create a VR filter for Xbox One if it doesn't have VR capabilities :p

Okay, I think its getting pretty undeniable now

Notable its not "Xbox One" though, hm
Sorry, ya, it is Xbox One

"Virtual Reality > Xbox One"

SOR5

Brad Sams report just opened up pandoras box on all things related to Xbox E3 plans.

What a scoop!

60rfTw0.png

Sorry, ya, it is Xbox One

"Virtual Reality > Xbox One"

Huhhh, makes me wonder if theyre not gonna rebrand after all, not a clever decision if so

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
As if development resources weren't spread thin enough already... yeesh.

To be fair, on one hand any game in development is good news because it means people are working and getting paid, on the other it does worry me somewhat that so much effort is being applied to an unproven (economically) sub-platform, at a time where the flow of significant platform-exclusives has dried up so much.

I just worry a bit because while I see there being very good reasons for going "all-in" on VR, there will be repercussions for development and publishing generally, and particularly so on console platforms.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not seeing how a hypothetical "Far Cry Avalanche" would not fit that description.

Sounds at least more realistic than a PR Person spoiling Microsoft's big press conference suprise.

Sure, when you're trying to bend the logic on purpose, everything could be a VR game.

SOR5

I think we all know this can only be for the new Xbox, Scorpio. Still odd that they say Xbox One.

There is the small possibility they really are just making a traditionally controlled version for Xbone

Theres so many ways this could be interpreted, Scorpio is killin' me already

00ich

everything could be a VR game.

That's actually a true statement. But honestly a half assed VR implementation may be the only thing that stands out from a tired Ubisoft franchise.

Bending the logic is assuming a AAA game would be VR-only.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's actually a true statement. But honestly a half assed VR implementation may be the only thing that stands out from a tired Ubisoft franchise.

Bending the logic is assuming a AAA game would be VR-only.

Who said it's an AAA game? It's a VR game set in the universe of a AAA franchise, but it can be actually low budget.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Love your optimism.
What else other than Oculus could it be? Vive is more expensive and they don't have their own VR solution otherwise they would have said something by now.
And the jeff poster pointed out that for Oculus target specs to be met it needs to be Vega with HBM because Polaris with GDDR5 doesn't offer enough power at console level TDP.

Oops double post.

00ich

By the time Scorpio comes out expect a price drop and a cheaper bundle to boot.

I'd expect a higher spec version by then. Oculus' price seems to have a lot to do with regular manufacturing costs and not so much with semiconductors. So it won't get cheaper to produce through general advancements. Maybe they'll release a slightly stripped down mass market version by then though.

Guymelef

What else other than Oculus could it be? Vive is more expensive and they don't have their own VR solution otherwise they would have said something by now.
And the jeff poster pointed out that for Oculus target specs to be met it needs to be Vega with HBM because Polaris with GDDR5 doesn't offer enough power at console level TDP.

Oops double post.

So you are really taking serious a jeff_rigby post?

Pop

Xbox is in the copy paste mode this gen. Wait and let others move the industry forward, then copy.

Maybe it will work out for them but I doubt this changes much in consumers eye's.

Hmm, I would definitely prefer Oculus One over the PS4+VR, simply because it's a much better solution and I can use it on my rig with no problems. Make it happen, MS!

I wonder if they will at least allow games like Smash Hit or Temple Run VR (Games that run on VR Smartphone solutions) on the basic/cheap Xbox One. If my Note 4 can run them at 60+fps (for the first 5 minutes) I'm sure the OG XOne can run it at 120.

And on that note, I hope they bring over short arcade-like VR games that usually appear on the smartphone over.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Xbox is in the copy paste mode this gen. Wait and let others move the industry forward, then copy.

Maybe it will work out for them but I doubt this changes much in consumers eye's.
Copy and paste would mean them having their own VR headset would it not?
Not to mention that Oculus is more advanced than PSVR.

Beefy

Are people getting too hyped over E3 again? I will wait and see what happens instead of getting crazy hyped for nothing like most E3's.

00ich

Hmm, I would definitely prefer Oculus One over the PS4+VR, simply because it's a much better solution and I can use it on my rig with no problems. Make it happen, MS!

I wonder if they will at least allow games like Smash Hit or Temple Run VR (Games that run on VR Smartphone solutions) on the basic/cheap Xbox One. If my Note 4 can run them at 60+fps (for the first 5 minutes) I'm sure the OG XOne can run it at 120.

And on that note, I hope they bring over short arcade-like VR games that usually appear on the smartphone over.

That would actually make a lot of sense. A small value add for the current Xbone with Oculus users and full VR on the One-two.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you're going to support PC headsets then please support both vive and rift. I don't want exclusivity shit even more than currently.

SOR5

Are people getting to hyped over E3 again? I will wait and see what happens instead of getting crazy hyped for nothing like most E3's.

Hopes high, expectations low?

If you're going to support PC headsets then please support both vive and rift. I don't want exclusivity shit even more than currently.

They did say they working with Valve VR last E3, it was an incredibly vague announcement

Matthew23

I think MS feels like they HAVE to announce this now even if it will hurt their XB One sales. Sony is killing it this gen and are getting close to launching VR and a new console while MS could be a year and a half away. Announcing early is about trying to keep those already in their eco system from switching, they're throwing their name out there for the console VR market before Sony dominates. There are a lot of people who are taking a wait and see approach to VR, they might be convinced by the time Xbox 4 is out.

00ich

Who said it's an AAA game? It's a VR game set in the universe of a AAA franchise, but it can be actually low budget.

A low budget game they intend to work on for another 18 month or
VR game with graphic the original Xbox one can provide in twice in 1080×1200 at 120hz for Oculus CV1?

Top Bottom