• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer: We’re working on an Xbox One VR game for 2017 (via Ars)

Blanquito

Mark my words, Xbox1.5 will shave my dog

On topic, sounds cool. E3 seems to really have a lot of craziness potential this year.

Yoday

I know many will say it good enough, but I wonder if Gear VR support is possible for a low cost solution. I recently got my free Gear VR, and honestly it is good enough to blow away most people. If they were able to develop a Gear VR like device that uses a range of phones and connects to the console, then they could have a significantly cheaper VR option. A $100 headset that people can just plug their phones into would be a much more enticing option than a full on $400+ device for the vast majority of people.

So will Oculus integrate their store to Microsoft's for UWP? Or will the Oculus store just be made available on the X1 separately?

It'd suck either way. I think Oculus opening their store, Microsoft better enabling and supporting VR on UWP, and getting rid of draconian DRM tactics, is the least worst option.

What does this mean for the Nintendo NX?

V R
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Nintendo WS, the next step beyond VR
I know many will say it good enough, but I wonder if Gear VR support is possible for a low cost solution. I recently got my free Gear VR, and honestly it is good enough to blow away most people. If they were able to develop a Gear VR like device that uses a range of phones and connects to the console, then they could have a significantly cheaper VR option. A $100 headset that people can just plug their phones into would be a much more enticing option than a full on $400+ device for the vast majority of people.

"A range of phones" a lot of phones do not have the resolution, and look terrible up close. With the device profiles and pitch correction, it's difficult already with the Samsung phones. I shudder to think of how many OnePlus or worse device owners would complain about the experience. And that's not to include the wireless lag disorientation or the overheating/dying batteries from having bright screens pumped with high res video feed.

EvB

That would require hardware designed from the ground up to make it happen, each and every phone would need to have a low latency video input as standard

StillEdge

Can I be Master Chief before they kill him off?! Can they kill Master Chief off in VR please. I want to die as mister chief.

Yoday

That would require hardware designed from the ground up to make it happen, each and every phone would need to have a low latency video input as standard
I see. I'm not really sure how it all works, I just plug my phone into a shell and it just works. My first thought was instantly how it would be an awesome and cheap solution for consoles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Guys, that dev did not specifically mention the Xbox as getting the vr version. Seems like Ars is making some assumptions.

Oh god I bet it's this. Game that has a VR version is also coming to Xbox one, and someone put 2+2 together and made 5

SOR5

I'm not sure simulating a ship at sea is a great idea to make strong first impressions on new VR users.

emba2.png

Trup1aya

The news to me is that MS is actually gonna announce this more powerful hardware at e3. 2017 is a long time to expect people to wait for a new console, especially when th competition will have already released new stuff.

Averon

Announcing Scorpio at E3 will tank XBO sales unless they announce a huge price cut and redesign. And even then I don't know if it will alleviate the bleeding that much.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Partnering with Oculus is smart. Get PC gamers back on board. If you've spent a tonne on Oculus, it would be wise to have a console that can also use it so you can get maximum value out of the headset.

That's assuming the Xbox receives any VR exclusives.

oldergamer

Come on Microsoft. Let me run pc games on my console. Add that to upgraded hardware and console games? That would be killer

Top Bottom