• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer: We’re working on an Xbox One VR game for 2017 (via Ars)

amdb00mer

To be honest I think Kinect 2.0 coupled with VR would be great. It would offer full body tracking versus simple controller tracking, but could also offer both simultaneously.

Apathy

Seems rather odd making a vr game for the Xbox when they don't have their own solution for it and will have to use something like the occulus but the occulus won't get a cut of that game even though they are all about that on PC going so far as adding DRM so other competing vr headsets can't use their exclusive games. You would think that if occulus were partnering up they'd want an occulus storefront where they could get some cut

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Nah, I prefer console. I have a PC for the few cases where I wanna play on PC. Thing about VR is that there is tons of experimental stuff on PC that I am interested in as well.

Sure, this makes sense. But i'm not understanding something, you already have a RIft?And were considering getting PSVR because of the exclusive games that you wouldn't get on PC, right?

Or were you deciding between the Rift or PSVR?

kadotsu

Banned
Oculus and Xbox would be a perfect pairing. Facebook's hardware supply line is perfect for Microsoft product demand.

Tain

lol, awesome.

I want big-budget VR games. Having Microsoft enter the field will help, even if it just means more Xbox + PS + Steam/Oculus multiplatform VR games.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think this should be in the OP, because people would rather read into their own bias than an article:

Ars isn't at liberty to discuss the name of the game or the specific developer, but we can say that a well-known European studio is planning "a new VR game" set in the universe of an established, long-running franchise.

SOR5

Don't read into the fact that a developer has said they're working on a VR game for a console that currently does not have a VR solution?

Aaa it doesnt quite say it though

The game is also being planned for release on the PC and PS4, and while it seems likely the E3 demonstration will be on one of those platforms, the PR representative was clear that an Xbox One version was also being planned. The game's working title contains the word "VR," strongly suggesting this isn't merely a VR-compatible game that happens to have a more traditional Xbox One version.

I think its a very healthy assumption to make, especially with the VR being such a core aspect of this game but its not absolute undeniable truth that this Xbox One version will have VR yet

I doubt this, but they quite genuinely could have rehauled the entire gameplay just for a traditional output on Xbox

I'm on the side that this does confirm Scorpio, but I do see why people need more watertight proof

poor Conker

It's not Conker

Sure, this makes sense. But i'm not understanding something, you already have a RIft?And were considering getting PSVR because of the exclusive games that you wouldn't get on PC, right?

Or were you deciding between the Rift or PSVR?

Deciding between Rift and PSVR. I don't want two goggles, seems like overkill. I kinda don't want the Rift either because of the DRM stuff, but if it works on PC and Xbox that would make it very interesting for me.

Unless MS actually announces the Oculus partnership I'm not going to cancel anything. If I cancel and then it turns out that it's not the Rift but some Xbox Game Helm or whatever I'd be pissed lol.

00ich

Refresh rate is not fast enough.

But it would work perfectly as "third kind of heat". PS VR and vive need to extrapolate the body posture from your hand and the head.
Reading it correctly could increase the immersion of avatar chats a lot and may add new actions like jumping or kicking.

Woah.

ron-paul-its-happening-animated.gif

good luck if all those games run like quantum break
I love how the narrative is now such that a game that was obviously ported over late without being built for PC from the get go means that all MS PC games are and will be shit. You're conveniently disregarding the performances of Forza 6 Apex, Killer Instinct, Gears, and Tomb Raider that all run extremely solidly.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Deciding between Rift and PSVR. I don't want two goggles, seems like overkill. I kinda don't want the Rift either because of the DRM stuff, but if it works on PC and Xbox that would make it very interesting for me.

I see, that makes much more sense. For someone that already has both consoles/pc and still is deciding between OR or PSVR this might be huge news.

Pjsprojects

Would like to focus attention on the 'well-known European studio is planning "a new VR game" set in the universe of an established, long-running franchise.' bit

This is for PC and PS4 as well, so its not just a Microsoft IP

Ubisoft☺

pastrami

Don't read into the fact that a developer has said they're working on a VR game for a console that currently does not have a VR solution?

Right, because that's never happened before: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/07/06/xbox-one-to-natively-support-oculus-rift/157349/

Not saying Oculus on Xbox won't happen, but this isn't proof of anything, and could be another misunderstanding.

Holy shit Oculus is actually happening!
Doesn't this confirm Vega and HBM2 then?!?

Love your optimism.

SOR5

Fable VR confi... oh :'-(

It's PS4 and PC as well so its not by any MS studio, it could be that Star Wars Battlefront VR game by DICE

Unless it could be Mojang...? Depends if you think Minecraft is a long established franchise, but thats the only game that would go multiplat

Montresor

At this E3, MS will basically demo a bunch of stuff(VR games included) on a monster rig they'll claim is a Scorpio "dev kit."
The usuals will gobble that shit right up.

We're going to see more and more of these kinds of posts as MS continue to make more and more competent decisions with respect to console gaming. "The usuals" heh. Is it so difficult to believe that Microsoft wants Xbox to have more powerful hardware?

00ich

It supposed to be a game specifically developed for VR.

No, it is a game in a franchise series demoed at E3 on PS4 or PC with a working title that contains "VR". Like "Far Cry VR".
Maybe the game is later titled "Far Cry Avalanche" and the Xbox just doesn't get the VR part, even if that's the most interesting thing about that version.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No, it is a game in a franchise series demoed at E3 on PS4 or PC with a working title that contains "VR". Like "Far Cry VR".
Maybe the game is later titled "Far Cry Avalanche" and the Xbox just doesn't get the VR part, even if that's the most interesting thing about that version.

Ars isn't at liberty to discuss the name of the game or the specific developer, but we can say that a well-known European studio is planning "a new VR game" set in the universe of an established, long-running franchise.

Try better, I guess?

rokkerkory

Current xbox one to use VR is going to be way tough as it is under-powered.

Makes more sense that this is for next xbox.

Top Bottom