• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 SE: Vergil, Trish & Lady Playable, Release Date 18th of June

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Itsuno-san answered my question about character balancing. :)

Balacing between having extremely powerful characters so they'd be appealing, but you'd die if you weren't playing right. Also, multi-hitting and wide hitting moves for LDK since it was making its debut on console.

Sesha

Lol, I asked the motorcycle question.

Itsuno is asking about what weapons we would like to see. Drop in guys and fire away.

Sesha

I'd love a spear weapon or a naginata type. Or a whip.

They noticed my motorcycle and chainsaw suggestions. If in future games they have that I'm gonna feel so validated.

They missed my drill spear, orbital laser cannon and summon powers comments, though...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The pool cue got good reception, which I think would be sick. It would act as a bo staff and be similar to Venom in Guilty Gear.

Also, the Nero summon swords are NOT larger. It's just the motion blur. It totally fooled me.

krynnmeridia

Neo Member
Oh snap, shots fired. Itsuno taking shit about Star Wars episodes 1 - 3

I thought it was interesting that Itsuno said that he didn't like having a predetermined ending to a game (when discussing a possible Sparda game).

Obviously, Episodes 1-3 are prime examples of how it can go wrong, but it can also add a lot to a story. Crisis Core, I think, is a great example of that. When you pick the game up, you know Zack is going to die at the end, but playing through it and getting to know Zack makes the ending hit you that much harder and lends a lot more depth to his story.

I guess it's one of those cases where if it goes right, it goes really right, but if it goes wrong, it goes really, really wrong.

Seyavesh

my mission of asking a bunch of stupid questions in hope one would get answered was a wild success

nero's moves all being named after gambling terms is because he's supposed to have a high love for high risk/high reward 50/50 stuff/moves but that characteristic somehow never ended up in the story

rip questions about training mode or crazy combos though

Sesha

So in summary:

- Vergil is Itsuno's favorite character.
- His favorite weapon is Nevan.
- His favorite style is Swordmaster.
- Asked what weapons we would like to see. Motorcycle, chainsaw, spear, whip, dual swords, other sword types, DRILL SPEAR BABY YEAH, MonHun-type hammer, gun lance, Samurai Edge, baseball bat, Mega Man arm cannon and pool cue got noticed.
- Lady's motorcycle was initially intended as a weapon in DMC3, which would function as a nunchucks-type weapon. They ended up dropping the idea because the motorcycle would clip through the floor. An awesome bit of DMC3 trivia.
- Being asked what he wants / would like to see for future games: Doesn't want any specific features, but wants DMC to be successful, despite it being a difficult game.
- Table Hopper is exclusive to Nero because he wanted Nero to have unique abilities exclusive to him.
- His favorite pizza topping is cheese with honey.
- Sparda rebelled against Mundus because he had fallen in love with Eva, apparently... Eva is an ageless witch confirmed?
- They have considered a versus / PvP feature in the past when looking at the Vergil fights in 3 and Dante fights in 4. Character balance is a concern, especially regarding characters like Lady.
- Itsuno had no input on Dante or Vergil's implementation in MvC3 other than approving their appearances.

Anything else? It's late, so my mind is a bit slow atm.

A Sparda game doesn't HAVE to have a predetermined ending, the only thing that has to happen is him sealing Mundus, it's not like we know how he died or if he even is actually dead and not sealed away himself. If the games ends on Mundus then yeah but if it time skips you can do whatever you want.

Seyavesh

So in summary:

- Vergil is Itsuno's favorite character.
- His favorite weapon is Nevan.
- Asked if we would like a spear weapon.
- Asked what other weapons we would like to see. Motorcycle, chainsaw, spear, whip, Mega Man arm cannon and pool cue got noticed.
- Being asked what he wants / would like to see for future games: Wants DMC to be successful, despite it being a difficult game.
- Table Hopper is exclusive to Nero because he wanted Nero to have unique abilities exclusive to him.
- His favorite pizza topping is cheese with honey.

Anything else? It's late, so my mind is a bit slow atm.

in regards to weapon switching his limit is 3 because he feels players want to be able to access their moves immediately- without a dedicated method of switching to the weapon they want he believes it's frustrating

krynnmeridia

Neo Member
A Sparda game doesn't HAVE to have a predetermined ending, the only thing that has to happen is him sealing Mundus, it's not like we know how he died or if he even is actually dead and not sealed away himself. If the games ends on Mundus then yeah but if it time skips you can do whatever you want.

I'm pretty sure that the first game confirms that Sparda is dead.

Pool cue idea is fucking awesome, especially if they'd jokingly bring in some billiards bank-shot mechanics (in the sense that lining up a small jugglable enemy and bouncing them into multiple other enemies would get you a huge style bonus). The awesomeness of Nevan shows that DMC needs to not be afraid to get a bit over-the-top and goofy with these things so long as the controls and combat remain tight and balanced.

Sesha

Pool cue idea is fucking awesome, especially if they'd jokingly bring in some billiards bank-shot mechanics (in the sense that lining up a small jugglable enemy and bouncing them into multiple other enemies would get you a huge style bonus). The awesomeness of Nevan shows that DMC needs to not be afraid to get a bit over-the-top and goofy with these things so long as the controls and combat remain tight and balanced.

If they had trouble thinking of moves, they could make a combined pool cue/spear weapon, which would be pretty sweet. It would be a cool twist instead of just having a regular spear.

Sucks that I had to miss the stream. Seems like some fun details came out of it.

Fuck, I really want a pool cue weapon in DMC now. Hell, more unorthodox weapons, the better. Even if I would suck shit at using them effectively.

But Itsuno did DMC3...where we knew it would end with Dante giving his shop the Devil May Cry name and Vergil turning into Nelo Angelo.

They could pull off a Sparda game, but it's not something they have to do in order to make the series feel complete.

If they had trouble thinking of moves, they could make a combined pool cue/spear weapon, which would be pretty sweet. It would be a cool twist instead of just having a regular spear.

I'd kinda want the spear to be a halberd or naginata so you could have slicing motions with it.

Best thing about Pandora was the boomerang mode, by the way, and I'd love to see a more dedicated boomerang weapon (maybe incorporating some of the Aquila/Buy In stuff from DmC or the crazy shit Trish has got going on with Sparda in DMC4SE).

Sesha

They need to up the ante after games like Bayonetta has had ice-elemental skates, rocket launcher-tonfas, gunchuks, lightning-elemental turbine hammer, triple-bladed scythe/rifle, leg chomp chain flail, double arm-blade chainsaws / chainsaw skates and leg-whips.

I'd kinda want the spear to be a halberd or naginata so you could have slicing motions with it.

Best thing about Pandora was the boomerang mode, by the way, and I'd love to see a more dedicated boomerang weapon (maybe incorporating some of the Aquila/Buy In stuff from DmC or the crazy shit Trish has got going on with Sparda in DMC4SE).

Personally I want a drill spear, a flying spear, and a dual-headed spear like the Lumen Sage's glaive in Bayo 2.

If someone is to get a more typical spear it should be Vergil. I have this idea for a samurai-type spearfighting weapon wielded by Vergil and it's so good. Have Vergil fight something like Odin and get his soul in the shape of a spear. Hnnnnnggh.

Link to stream?

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity/v/6291009

Mizerman

If someone is to get a more typical spear it should be Vergil. I have this idea for a samurai-type spearfighting weapon wielded by Vergil and it's so good. Have Vergil fight something like Odin and get his soul in the shape of a spear. Hnnnnnggh.

Both my curiosity and attention have been received.

Sesha

Gametrailers is doing an interview with a Just Cause 3 dev right now and they were talking about weapons that would be too crazy in terms of the in-game universe. I dropped in with my orbital laser cannon idea and they actually answered it but shot it down. Lol, rejected again.

Who out there can address my orbital laser cannon needs? :(

Both my curiosity and attention have been received.

I haven't gotten as far as planning the boss fight or designing every move, but it would be so cool. Pool cues, chainsaws, mechs and motorcycles wouldn't feel right for someone like Vergil, but he needs something else than just gauntlets and swords.

Sesha

I just checked the stream again and the picked out my drill spear comment FUCKING YES! Sesha tha weapon idea man extraordinaire.

They need to up the ante after games like Bayonetta has had ice-elemental skates, rocket launcher-tonfas, gunchuks, lightning-elemental turbine hammer, triple-bladed scythe/rifle, leg chomp chain flail, double arm-blade chainsaws / chainsaw skates and leg-whips.

I agree, BUT it's also important to point out that a lot (not all, but a lot) of Bayo moves are fundamentally exactly the same punches and kicks with some added charge/passive properties and tweaked damage/speed/hitbox/stun numbers. DMC weapons generally have movesets entirely separate from each other (except for things like Vergil's Force Edge/Beowulf moves sharing some stuff in common with Dante's Rebellion/Beowulf moves).

I totally applaud Bayonetta's willingness to get wacky and imaginative with weapons, but there's arguably not quite as much work to do on a per-weapon basis whereas DMC weapons each need to be designed all the way from the ground up. I'm not saying one approach is inherently better than the other - I love DMC and Bayo and I think the fact that there's a pissing match between them is ridiculous and childish - but it definitely requires more work to design a DMC weapon, I think.

Do I have to ask an admin for permission to run a tournament? Or because it's just running it through the OT then can just do it (not posting my own thread)?

Top Bottom