• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 SE: Vergil, Trish & Lady Playable, Release Date 18th of June

So happy right now...this gen really is kicking off for me this year. Amazing game to bring back with upgrades. Not DMC5 but close enough

BadWolf

If Lady, Vergil and Trish are as fleshed out as Dante and Nero then this game will be very difficult to top as the best in the genre.

fQCGweJ.gif
This is legit one of the coolest game cinematics I've ever seen

Hyped for the Special Edition!

Kyoufu

If Lady, Vergil and Trish are as fleshed out as Dante and Nero then this game will be very difficult to top as the best in the genre.

Well they still need to fix the backtracking garbage in DMC4 otherwise I'll still most likely prefer DMC3SE overall.

jett

D-Member
Not sure if this means much but 'My game news flash' is reporting that in DMC4SE the new characters can be selected with the new:

「VERGIL GAME」 & 「LADY/TRISH GAME」

modes.

http://jin115.com/archives/52072729.html

I wonder if this means Lady and Trish will play the same. Still, this is really interesting news since nobody thought there would anything more than Vergil. :p Wonder if they changed much about the campaign.

BadWolf

Well they still need to fix the backtracking garbage in DMC4 otherwise I'll still most likely prefer DMC3SE overall.

Don't know if you've played DMC3 recently but it has as much if not more backtracking through old areas than DMC4. They just paced it better.

Reset

To be fair, MGR demonstrated they can manage decent sales if they're using existing IP instead of their own disasters. I really don't think a Platinum DMC5 would sell that much worse than an internal effort headed by Itsuno.

Isn't the Metal Gear series bigger than DMC? Also didn't MGR only sell like a million copies and it was outsold by DmC?
How much did DMC 4 sell compared to MGR....

jediyoshi

Can DMC4SE also have playable Lady and then just redesign her to resemble her having the DMC3 outfit. Please and thanks Cpacom.

TreIII

I wonder if this means Lady and Trish will play the same. Still, this is really interesting news since nobody thought there would anything more than Vergil. :p Wonder if they changed much about the campaign.

I would think it would just imply that they're extra characters who likely don't have the kind of story focus that Vergil does (who got his own mode).

But we'll see.

Restructuring of previous levels sounds like a huge undertaking, but I agree that would be the best solution.

And yeah, seems like no Vergil campaign? It's a bit unclear.

They've actually already added more than I was expecting with Lady and Trish. I didn't actually believe they would do it, but their inclusion is HUGE. I really hope that they still add things like a training mode and adjustments to scoring/Bloody Palace. Those will make a huge difference.

Honestly it wouldn't be a huge undertaking. There are actually very few parts of the game that actually use the Devil Bringer for platforming/traversal (given that most of the levels need to be traversable by Dante as well). It's something that basically happens right when you obtain it and in that room with the spiked ceiling and not much of anywhere else.

The Devil Bringer is (correctly) focused on combat, and its use in traversal is (correctly) a mere afterthought.

But yeah, making Dante also playable in Nero's levels (and Nero playable in Dante's levels, why not) would be fantastic.

I'm really really hoping Lady, Trish, and Vergil have their own full sets of abilities and upgrades (and for Lady, even her own fairly unique systems-level stuff since she can't DT).

And yeah, like I said before, a classic DMC3 weapons pack for Dante would be absolutely killer.

Man, if we're really really lucky, we might even get a second firearm and melee weapon for Nero. omgggg

SykoTech

Just saw this on Gematsu. Playable Lady...you win big time, Capcom.

Also June 18th, 2 days after my B-day. Guess I'll be gifting myself a PS4. The time has come.

Hopefully the Western release is near simultaneous.

And I wanna get playable Phantom with glorious modern graphics. Sorry, Berial, you're great and fun to fight, but as far as fire-elemental bosses are concerned, there's you and Agni and then there's DA GAWD PHANTOM.

TreIII

And I wanna get playable Phantom with glorious modern graphics. Sorry, Berial, you're great and fun to fight, but as far as fire-elemental bosses are concerned, there's you and Agni and then there's DA GAWD PHANTOM.

Yaaaaaas.

A secondary Bloody Palace that bought back some of the golden oldies from 1 and 3 would be awesome.

ezekial45

Banned
That's fucking great. We were all only expecting the three, but give playable characters is incredible.

Here's hoping they all have their own unique content. I'd definitely be ok with Vergil, Trish, and Lady having their own mini-campaigns.

Golnei

Don't know if you've played DMC3 recently but it has as much if not more backtracking through old areas than DMC4. They just paced it better.

As you said, the pacing is everything - 1 and 3's reuse of areas was a net positive, creating a sense of progress and exploration; whereas 4's ordered, verbatim repeats of levels and bosses hurt the game enormously, grinding the pace to a halt and becoming actively repetitive. Though obviously those problems are far too large to fix with a rerelease...

If had been aware that development would be cut short from the outset, I wonder what they would have done differently to make the reuse of content more bearable, if anything.

Yaaaaaas.

A secondary Bloody Palace that bought back some of the golden oldies from 1 and 3 would be awesome.

It's never happening, but it'd be amazing. Especially if one floor was a Nero Angelo, Vergil 3 and Credo combination.

BadWolf

Trish and Lady being part of one mode makes it seem like their campaign will be like Nero/Dante, so we might play the Nero missions with Lady (she does have a grappling hook) and the Dante missions with Trish.

Vergil being separate makes it sound like more work went into his. And I'm guessing it will be shorter than 20 missions since it wouldn't make sense for a single character to backtrack like that.

Trish and Lady being part of one mode makes it seem like their campaign will be like Nero/Dante, so we might play the Nero missions with Lady (she does have a grappling hook) and the Dante missions with Trish.

Vergil being separate makes it sound like more work went into his. And I'm guessing it will be shorter than 20 missions since it wouldn't make sense for a single character to backtrack like that.
Aren't we supposed to be able to use Lady/Trish in any mission?

Steroyd

Eh... There's backtracking and then there's a mirror mode you HAVE to go through to complete the game, DMC4 probably has the worst implementation I've ever seen in a game.

IronLich

The pessimism

I don't believe in Lady/Trish mode until it's in a trailer.

And that trailer reveal is gonna be equally sick.

I applaud Capcom for putting this considerable effort into a remaster, and putting all the chips on the table.

Well they do have separate modes apparently (Vergil Mode and Trish/Lady mode). It doesn't sound like you just go to the usual Dante/Nero mission select and pick a character.
Yeah, but they're also supposed to get their own opening and ending cinematics, it would be weird to play a campaign with both of them.

BadWolf

As you said, the pacing is everything - 1 and 3's reuse of areas was a net positive, creating a sense of progress and exploration; whereas 4's ordered, verbatim repeats of levels and bosses hurt the game enormously, grinding the pace to a halt and becoming actively repetitive. Though obviously those problems are far too large to fix with a rerelease...

Eh... There's backtracking and then there's a mirror mode you HAVE to go through to complete the game, DMC4 probably has the worst implementation I've ever seen in a game.

True but it's still the same thing though, there are a lot of backtracking missions in DMC3. For example the mission after the Beowulf fight and the mission after the Nevan fight are nothing but a backtrack.

Backtracking is an issue I have with both the games. This is one thing DmC did right and I hope DMC5 follows that example.

Yeah, but they're also supposed to get their own opening and ending cinematics, it would be weird to play a campaign with both of them.

But it also wouldn't make sense to play all 20 missions with a single character with how the backtracking is, which is why I think they named it Trish/Lady mode for a reason.

TreIII

It's never happening, but it'd be amazing. Especially if one floor was a Nero Angelo, Vergil 3 and Credo combination.

I'm just thinking in line with things that they could do with the least amount of work possible. They could do "worse" than taking the available assets from the HD collection and giving them minor touch-ups to fit an extra mode.

On the other hand, if we stand to get Cursed Vergil as an alt, again, maybe they'd have plenty of reason to remake Angelo again from scratch.

Anteater

Hope the game we'll look similar to the pc version, I terms of effects

It sounds like they could be identical since it's based on the PC ver with the legendary dark knight mode. I doubt they'd make exclusive effects on one platform and not the other given that the game runs pretty good on old hardwares, assuming that they do add anything.

SykoTech

So DMC5 is a given now, right? Playable Vergil was one thing. But Trish and, for the first time ever, Lady? Don't seem them going that far for a remaster in the latest installment of a series that they have no plans to continue.

Worst case scenario, their plans are tentative and low sales cause Capcom to scrap them a la Darkstalkers. So everybody buy 5 copies just in case.

TreIII

So DMC5 is a given now, right? Playable Vergil was one thing. But Trish and, for the first time ever, Lady? Don't seem them going that far for a remaster in the latest installment of a series that they have no plans to continue.

Worst case scenario, their plans are tentative and low sales cause Capcom to scrap them a la Darkstalkers. So everybody buy 5 copies just in case.

The last "DMC Community" thread was ripe with hints because of Dan Southworth (re: Vergil) going on record to saying that he being called in for a "new project that only has a codename" for an interview that took place earlier in March. And that's on top of the hints that a fellow GAFfer, Verendus (sp?) gave months earlier.

Since everything relating to voice work for 4SE can be safely presumed to be well complete by now...it only fans the flames. C8

EDIT:

I love what Platinum's doing, but I want to see Itsuno's team keep doing DMC. With DMC3 and DMC4 they've more than earned it.

Furthermore, I can't understand the bizarre attitude of wanting only one developer making character action games. If you actually care about the genre, you should want MORE developers doing it well. I want Itsuno's DMC4 and Platinum to make Bayo3 and MGR2 and for NT's Hellblade to actually be a good entry in the genre (and for Devil's Third to finally come out).

And this is the correct answer. I love P*, but Itsuno, Neo_G and their team easily have earned their place in the top tier of developers in the genre.

DMC5 by Platinum Games announcement at E3 2015

I love what Platinum's doing, but I want to see Itsuno's team keep doing DMC. With DMC3 and DMC4 they've more than earned it.

Furthermore, I can't understand the bizarre attitude of wanting only one developer making character action games. If you actually care about the genre, you should want MORE developers doing it well. I want Itsuno's DMC5 and Platinum to make Bayo3 and MGR2 and Scalebound and for NT's Hellblade to actually be a good entry in the genre (and for Devil's Third to finally come out). Hell, I want to see Cory Barlog figure out how to make God of War have a DMC level of combat quality for the first time ever.

Platinum's a fantastic action game developer but they're not the only ones with talent (and having only one developer sustaining the character action genre is a good way for both the genre and that developer to die a tragic death).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Honestly it wouldn't be a huge undertaking. There are actually very few parts of the game that actually use the Devil Bringer for platforming/traversal (given that most of the levels need to be traversable by Dante as well). It's something that basically happens right when you obtain it and in that room with the spiked ceiling and not much of anywhere else.

The Devil Bringer is (correctly) focused on combat, and its use in traversal is (correctly) a mere afterthought.

But yeah, making Dante also playable in Nero's levels (and Nero playable in Dante's levels, why not) would be fantastic.

I'm really really hoping Lady, Trish, and Vergil have their own full sets of abilities and upgrades (and for Lady, even her own fairly unique systems-level stuff since she can't DT).

And yeah, like I said before, a classic DMC3 weapons pack for Dante would be absolutely killer.

Man, if we're really really lucky, we might even get a second firearm and melee weapon for Nero. omgggg

That's a good point. I was just thinking that making changes to the geometry of the levels would be a big deal, but in reality they could either cut segments entirely, or only slightly tune them and it would work.

But hey, even this is more than I was expecting, honestly. I fully expect Trish and Lady to be fully featured and unique. I really don't think they'd include them if they weren't.

Golnei

I'm just thinking in line with things that they could do with the least amount of work possible. They could do "worse" than taking the available assets from the HD collection and giving them minor touch-ups to fit an extra mode.

On the other hand, if we stand to get Cursed Vergil as an alt, again, maybe they'd have plenty of reason to remake Angelo again from scratch.

I don't think it'd be anywhere near that easy - considering the differing, incompatible engines of the 3 games, the likelihood of source code and original assets being lost over 15 years and the fundamental differences to how combat works for 4, porting even a single enemy would involve nearly every asset being remade. Boss versions of the new playable characters and Nero are already too much to ask for...

Maybe their cinematics occur at the beginning and end of Dante and Nero's sections of the original story, instead of bookending the entire mode?

Top Bottom