• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Forza Motorsport 6 Apex - GTX 970 VS R9 390

MuchoMalo

Banned
So, it runs well but is buggy. Let's see if they fix that.

At least there's one MS PC game that doesn't run like Batman's poo.

clav

Been playing it on a HD 7850 with 8 GB of RAM.

Barely reaches 30 fps at 1080p, but it's playable.

Kinda weird looking at the Xbox One version locked at 60 fps since that one is not free. Had a lot of fun with the Xbox One demo especially with the Formula 1 race cars. If you're more of an arcade racer (Mario Kart) person, these vehicles will interest you.

Heard RAM can be a bottleneck in this game as 16 GB setups may run the game smoother.

Games like this one may push me to upgrade to Polaris in the near future. Since Nvidia's drivers blew up two cards on one of my setups in Windows 10, I won't consider Nvidia for a while.

my 950 has a rather flawless 60fps apart from stutter, it really is nice to see the game in 1080p with some strong AA going on.

I also enjoy the progress that apex has over forza 6, the medal and score system is a huge improvement.

Between the 970 and 390, I suppose there wasn't really a "wrong" choice back then.

I think I'll be enjoying the game more after the rather frequent stutter issue that starts to show up after a few races get fixed, though. It can get very distracting, especially on weaker systems, like he 760M-based laptop I have that have the stutters end up being half-second long.

Caayn

Another test by DF, this time with the GTX 750ti vs the R7 360.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IdofKeEsuE

Running with medium settings and 16xAF at 1080p. The AMD card has more framedrops than it's NVIDIA counterpart and with weather enabled the GTX 750ti performs consistently better than the R7 360. However both maintain a good FPS when weather isn't in play.

Another test by DF, this time with the GTX 750ti vs the R7 360.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IdofKeEsuE

Running with medium settings and 16xAF at 1080p. The AMD card has more framedrops than it's NVIDIA counterpart and with weather enabled the GTX 750ti performs consistently better than the R7 360. However both maintain a good FPS when weather isn't in play.

Pretty interesting results... I find the dynamic mode just fantastic.

BTW, I uninstalled the game, but does it now support 120hz / 120 fps since that one update?

Does anyone know if this game uses any deferred rendering at all or if it's forward rendered? That makes MSAA a lot cheaper and generally runs better, in exchange for a flatter look.

I think the next Forza will be a grahpical detour since it will be on PC also so they can really push things beyond Xbox. Finally realtime TOD dynamic lighting for everything!

If they do that, the xbone version will be 720p. I doubt they'll change their entire rendering system, since PC players are also happy to be able to max out a game at 1440p with a 970.

Does anyone know if this game uses any deferred rendering at all or if it's forward rendered? That makes MSAA a lot cheaper and generally runs better, in exchange for a flatter look.

If they do that, the xbone version will be 720p. I doubt they'll change their entire rendering system, since PC players are also happy to be able to max out a game at 1440p with a 970.

Yes the game uses forward rendering+, which is why both Horizon 2 and 6 managed to achieve full 1080p and 4XMSAA.

Top Bottom