• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Hands-on with 10 Xbox One X games that show us what it's really capable of

If 500 is too much you'll have to stick to the xb1s.

Not sure why this is even a discussion, it's like buying a TV... I'd love an oled but I can't afford one, so I have a cheaper LED.

f@luS

More than a member.
To be fair it's not the only option on offer. It's like arguing against the existence of Ferrari because it's not accessible to road sweepers. If you can afford £449 comfortably it looks more like a bargain for what you can get out of it. If you can't afford it you stick with what you have, wait until it's cheaper, or get it on credit. Just the same way you would with every other product on the market.
They did the best they could available one year before. Wait again one year and the one X would look half baked to what could be possible next year. It's a bit silly
Both machine are great imho I love my pro and on my 4k oled games look much better than normal PS4. Can't wait for my one X. Microsoft seems to have a better policy regarding games and software which can only improve it for pro as well so good for customers

I think we're going to have native 4k for one x vs CB4k for pro or cb4k pro one X where it would be 1440/1800p for pro. Anyway Everything will look amazing

MilkyJoe

Talking of car terms i expressed this before.

PC would be the equivalent of the ferraris of this world.

The OneX would be a v8 Bmw M3 ( 414 BHP )

The PS4 Pro would be the equivalent of a slightly more powerful Bmw 335d ( 281 BHP )

The OG Xbox one would be the equivalent of an Dacia Sandero 1.5 dCi ( circa 90 BHP )

2edz0v5.jpg.gif

Not sure why this is even a discussion, it's like buying a TV... I'd love an oled but I can't afford one, so I have a cheaper LED.

Bingo! But for some reason consoles are in some other ball park when it comes to consumables.

mocoworm

Great post. I manage my ££ so I can buy the things I want to buy, and if I can't afford them I can't have them.

There are many, MANY things that I would like to own but I simply can't have them at this point in time. We just had a baby and our household priorities have shifted, however, I knew XB1X was releasing for a year now so I have been saving £50 every month for the last 12 months in a separate account and I have one pre-ordered for launch day and money left over for a few games.

leeh

Talking of car terms i expressed this before.

PC would be the equivalent of the ferraris of this world.

The OneX would be a v8 Bmw M3 ( 414 BHP )

The PS4 Pro would be the equivalent of a slightly more powerful Bmw 335d ( 281 BHP )

The OG Xbox one would be the equivalent of an Dacia Sandero 1.5 dCi ( circa 90 BHP )
See now thats not a fair comparison because you're underestimating the torque differences, especially between the 335d and the M3 ;)

Thebonehead

Banned
Sounds good. Now give the X a Dolby Vision Implementation and you have a sale.

Need to be letting Mike Ybarra know that i guess as per the quote below from him.

We have always told the fans that if Dolby Vision is something that they’re interested in then we’ll take a look at it. We have a great relationship with Dolby, stretching 25 years in the past from Windows, and now to Xbox.

Right now we are the industry standard, HDR10, and if Dolby is something the customers are asking for then we’ll look at it just like any other feature.

valkyre

Good times. Seems like an awesome machine. Cant wait for it to release.

Hopefully that will finally make Sony to push devs more when it comes to Pro support, which has been underwhelming to say the least.

KageMaru

Tomb Raider?

Well we don't know how well TR holds to that 60fps target. It'll be interesting to see how it runs in more demanding areas like geothermal valley. IIRC that area ran in 40s on the Pro and a 10% boost in clock speeds won't get you to 60fps there.

If a game is close to 60fps on the OG models, I can see it holding a solid 60fps on the Pro a day 1X. However when it comes to 30fps games that hammer the CPU with physics, game logic, AI, etc. like Gears 4 or Destiny 2, don't expect twice the performance from the CPU.

Doesn't it take some GPU power to get there though? Software that's X enabled is probably pushing the hardware enough as it is.

Correct. It's certainly not as easy as enabling AF in the control panel for all games. It's usually "free" on the PC because the GPU has power to spare. PC GPUs also have their own pool of memory and dedicated amount of bandwidth that make it easier to enable AF.

Montresor

Edit:

Deleted the post heh. I read the following "Gears of War 4 is one of the finest technological achievements of this console generation". And thought it was referring to the Xbox One X version of Gears 4.

Sounds good. Now give the X a Dolby Vision Implementation and you have a sale.

Well, from my perspective the only place that has a lot of Dolby Vision content is VUDU. (netflix is slim compared to VUDU)

HDR10 is implemented in games and on blurayUHD disks already. Maybe the next xbox will have both as we see more content become available across more avenues rather than just Vudu and Netflix Steaming.. I think we only have about 2 UHD disks with DV instead of HDR10?

While i LOVE DV, i dont see it coming to games/consoles until there is a massive win vs the other format or there is a big push from Dolby with UHD disks/players/other streaming services.

I'd love DV to be in xbox, but im not going to hold my breath. Plus my TV streams DV content just fine atm. That pacific rim, ooooooooh sweet baby jesus it looked so fine.

Aces&Eights

So how do multiplats work? With Pro, devs have to code for it, right? Is the same true for Scorpio? I'm not into ms 1st party and have a Pro so I really want to know how multiplats will fare. Do the devs have to code the games specifically for Xbox or are they just porting over what they did on the Pro? How substantial will the diff be? Say, on Assassins Creed Origins?

KageMaru

Well, from my perspective the only place that has a lot of Dolby Vision content is VUDU. (netflix is slim compared to VUDU)

HDR10 is implemented in games and on blurayUHD disks already. Maybe the next xbox will have both as we see more content become available across more avenues rather than just Vudu and Netflix Steaming.. I think we only have about 2 UHD disks with DV instead of HDR10?

While i LOVE DV, i dont see it coming to games/consoles until there is a massive win vs the other format or there is a big push from Dolby with UHD disks/players/other streaming services.

I'd love DV to be in xbox, but im not going to hold my breath. Plus my TV streams DV content just fine atm. That pacific rim, ooooooooh sweet baby jesus it looked so fine.

I would think a DV update would be possible on the Pro and 1X. Mass Effect Andromeda supports DV on the PC and works fine on newer GPUs.

So how do multiplats work? With Pro, devs have to code for it, right? Is the same true for Scorpio? I'm not into ms 1st party and have a Pro so I really want to know how multiplats will fare. Do the devs have to code the games specifically for Xbox or are they just porting over what they did on the Pro? How substantial will the diff be? Say, on Assassins Creed Origins?

Developers have to specifically code to take advantage of the 1X just like the Pro. Not sure if studios are porting over the Pro versions and enhancing them from there. Porting from the PC seems more likely though.

Not sure how substantial the difference will be yet. It will vary from game to game. There should be no technical reason for games to be the same but other factors like limited manpower, budget, scheduling, etc. may force parity in both versions.

Aces&Eights

I would think a DV update would be possible on the Pro and 1X. Mass Effect Andromeda supports DV on the PC and works fine on newer GPUs.

Developers have to specifically code to take advantage of the 1X just like the Pro. Not sure if studios are porting over the Pro versions and enhancing them from there. Porting from the PC seems more likely though.

Not sure how substantial the difference will be yet. It will vary from game to game. There should be no technical reason for games to be the same but other factors like limited manpower, budget, scheduling, etc. may force parity in both versions.

Thanks for responding. The diff in multi upgrades really is the selling point for me.

Lorul2

Actually, Sony do have a "Pro enhanced" logo used on both retail boxes and on the PS Store. The advantage is that Microsoft allows you to search by that tag, while Sony doesn't.

Apart from launch window, it's not anywhere near that close. During 2016, Pro had 89 enhanced games. During 2017, One X has 78 announced. (This number will go higher with time, though.)

In total to date, however, the gap is much larger. Pro has at least 200 enhanced games. One X has announced 118 total, but 40 of those are spread out through 2018. Of these, many will also be enhanced on Pro. In addition, some of One X's 2017 titles will similarly be Pro-enhanced, and so will a higher number of exclusives. So by the time One X hits that 118 number, Pro will probably be twice that or more. This is only to be expected with the headstart, and the bigger library.

Okay I read through this thread on neogaf "All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)". Are you counting boost mode games as enhanced games? Doesn't the Xbox One X basically provide a boost mode to every unpatched Xbox One game, Xbox 360 game, and original Xbox game? Does that count as enhanced?

Synth

Okay I read through this thread on neogaf "All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)". Are you counting boost mode games as enhanced games? Doesn't the Xbox One X basically provide a boost mode to every unpatched Xbox One game, Xbox 360 game, and original Xbox game? Does that count as enhanced?

I'm imagining that the difference is made up of game that benefit with PSVR. Based on that list though, that'd be resulting in some double counts (like The Assembly, Rez Infinite, Resident Evil VII, etc).

Space_nut

This is very much true

Every unpactehed game will get:

16x AF
Highest fps possible
Highest res if using dynamic res
Faster loading from HDD
Faster streaming of assets using the 4GB of extra ram to store the assets

Synth

This is very much true

Every unpactehed game will get:

16x AF
Highest fps possible
Highest res if using dynamic res
Faster loading from HDD
Faster streaming of assets using the 4GB of extra ram to store the assets

I wouldn't really count any game that's benefitting from a "boost mode" type scenario, because that's not actually explicit support from a developer, and so doesn't reflect any commitment.

That said, in regards to PSVR stuff, I find it to be a somewhat different issue if the software can't be run without an additional multiple hundred dollar peripheral anyway. And some of the games that are listed as PS4 Pro enhance seemingly have less of a benefit than the inherent boosts the XB1X provides. For example:
WPx6WV3.png

Is effectively less of a improvement than would be applied to the entire XB1 and XB360 libraries. So simply counting titles seems a bit pointless.

Colbert

Banned
I wouldn't really count any game that's benefitting from a "boost mode" type scenario, because that's not actually explicit support from a developer, and so doesn't reflect any commitment.

That said, in regards to PSVR stuff, I find it to be a somewhat different issue if the software can't be run without an additional multiple hundred dollar peripheral anyway. And some of the games that are listed as PS4 Pro enhance seemingly have less of a benefit than the inherent boosts the XB1X provides. For example:
WPx6WV3.png

Is effectively less of a improvement than would be applied to the entire XB1 and XB360 libraries. So simply counting titles seems a bit pointless.

List wars of any kind are boring anyway!

i am an incredibly considerate person.

this is a forum full of adults, with gaming habits.

$500 is not a lot of money.

[this is 2017, not 1996]

This is why you find a store that will allow you to finance it.

I can't afford a 1X right now, but putting it on my Best Buy credit card with a finance plan 12 months NO interest (as long as its payed off within the 12 Months) is how i could afford it, so thats what i did. Comes to $41 a Month, less then $10 a week for a year, im sure most can afford that. Now of course i dont have to have it payed off in the 12 Months, just if i dont want to pay interest after that year is up.

Again, to some people $500 is in fact a lot of money, Simply because it isnt to you doesnt mean that applies to everyone.
I could easily afford an xbox one x but microsoft hasn't made it a worthwhile purchase yet. In literally any sense.
Its really not that strange of a concept people. Step outside your bubbles people, the weather is nice out here.

Klocker

Again, to some people $500 is in fact a lot of money, Simply because it isnt to you doesnt mean that applies to everyone.
I could easily afford an xbox one x .but microsoft hasn't made it a worthwhile purchase yet. In literally any sense
Its really not that strange of a concept people. Step outside your bubbles people, the weather is nice out here.

To YOU

To others it is the greatest purchase we have made in years

To YOU

To others it is the greatest purchase we have made in years

Correct, that is exactly what I said in my post. To me. Different standards for everyone.
Next time, read closer, minus persecution complex.

Protip: First part of the sentence that you bolded in your quote of mine. You know, the part you chose to ignore.

Klocker

Correct, that is exactly what I said in my post. To me. Different standards for everyone.
Next time, read closer, minus persecution complex.

No read it again.

what you said was to other people, $500 is not a lot of money and to some it is.

what I was implying was to you it has not been proven to be a $500 value.

.microsoft hasn't made it a worthwhile purchase yet. In literally any sense

where to others the value is that or greater at this point, regardless of affordability.

No read it again.
what you said was to other people, $500 is not a lot of money and to some it is.
what I was implying was to you it has not been proven to be a $500 value.
where to others the value is that or greater at this point, regardless of affordability.

Damn dude here is the whole part of my post you bolded:

Part of my original post you bolded:
ShadowkillXNA said:
I could easily afford an xbox one x but microsoft hasn't made it a worthwhile purchase yet. In literally any sense.

If its not clear to you that I was only speaking for my own views and opinions than I can only think you're out to argue for arguments sake.
So yea, read it again.
Later.

Klocker

Damn dude here is the whole part of my post you bolded:

Part of my original post you bolded:

If its not clear to you that I was only speaking for my views and opinions than I can only think you're out to argue for arguments sake.
So yea, read it again.
Later.

I'm not trying to argue. Just being specific in pointing out value is different for everyone as is affordability.

Sounds like we agree on that point though

Hawk269

I am dying to see/hear how Elder Scrolls On-Line is coming along with the Xbox One X update. I play the game on all 3 platforms (PC, PRO, Xbox One S) and the PRO's 4k is lackluster compared to the PC at 4k. There is such a massive difference, granted the PC is running with a bunch of settings maxed. I really hope Zenimax not only runs at 4k, but they add in the better texture and texture filtering plus the better draw distance. They should have the headroom for some extra stuff. On the Pro they went to 4k native and called it a day, so I really hope they do more on the Xbox One X.

No idea but major nelson released a Dev video showcasing how easy and fast the Scorpio Dev kits were

FN-2187

i am an incredibly considerate person.

this is a forum full of adults, with gaming habits.

$500 is not a lot of money.

[this is 2017, not 1996]

Speaking of mid 90s, I bought a Sega Saturn in 1995 for $500 CDN.

I was 13 and managed to save up enough money delivering Sears catalogues.

Hawk269

Did John (DF) mention when they were going to post the additional impressions? I know they said they would have a Halo Wars 2 and another game in a separate story.

Thanks!

Caayn

I am dying to see/hear how Elder Scrolls On-Line is coming along with the Xbox One X update. I play the game on all 3 platforms (PC, PRO, Xbox One S) and the PRO's 4k is lackluster compared to the PC at 4k. There is such a massive difference, granted the PC is running with a bunch of settings maxed. I really hope Zenimax not only runs at 4k, but they add in the better texture and texture filtering plus the better draw distance. They should have the headroom for some extra stuff. On the Pro they went to 4k native and called it a day, so I really hope they do more on the Xbox One X.
The difference in draw distance is what sticks out the most for me in ESO especially on consoles, that said I think that the max draw distance of PC is still too low.

MS really need to get some direct feed out. For both Forza and any 3rd party stuff they can get a hold of. It's dumb relying on written text or bad Youtube videos when we have the technology!

Klocker

I really think that their strategy is to just wait until the software is out there. DF and other sites can compare to the existing systems that are now released and people will be able to tell the difference and they will be showing the difference and then they hit the marketing.

but of course MS will drop the ball on that too

Colbert

Banned
MS really need to get some direct feed out. For both Forza and any 3rd party stuff they can get a hold of. It's dumb relying on written text or bad Youtube videos when we have the technology!

Yep, this is really quite puzzling.

I really think that their strategy is to just wait until the software is out there. DF and other sites can compare to the existing systems that are now released and people will be able to tell the difference and they will be showing the difference and then they hit the marketing.

I suggest to you to visit gamersyde.com on a regular basis then.

Currently they have for instance a GC: Shadow of War in direct feed available and Assassins Creed: Origins too!

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gc_shadow_of_war_in_direct_feed-19444_en.html
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gc_aco_direct_feed_videos-19430_en.html

Edit:
Sea of Thieves is also there: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gc_4k_gameplay_of_sea_of_thieves-19426_en.html (but thats PC)

Colbert

Banned
Yes need to visit gamersyde more often.

Thanks for the links

Can you try the AC:O video to playback on a Xbox One S? I get error messages when I try to and on my LG B6D too.

On the One S I tried:
TV app
Mediaplayer app
and VLC app

flozuki

Well, Apple TV will also support DV so there is the next push? Would be nice if MS can lead instead to follow because DV content is far more impressive/ enjoyable to me and since HDR on consoles is pretty mush hit or miss this would be a nice feature.

Sony did the same after the Pro reveal. I really can't understand that :(

The machine is technically amazing, can't help but feel that. But 4K versions of games I don't give a shit about or are years old are really not selling it to me. Would rather play a top quality game in checkerboard than something I don't care about in 4K.

Dev team for that console though...dang. Smashed it. Shame MS let them down.

Top Bottom