• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Hands-on with 10 Xbox One X games that show us what it's really capable of

Hawk269

I've seen sevrla youtubers runnign it on insane at 4K 60 FPs (most of the time) on a single Titan.

With every setting set to max? I have not tried in a few months, but last time I did try, it would drop often with 2 Titan's, but I also have every possible setting at it's max. If I drop certain things and leave the 2 or so ones that do have Insane I can do it, but pure max it does not happen.

But it's 30fps on X1X

I also imagine it is going utilise the dynamic framebuffer scaling like the original game right?
Have they said yet whether the game will use insane depth of field and insane screen space reflections? It should be pretty obvious to tell if they released some media. They are of course, extremely heavy settings when you see them in action.

Dabanton

I'm curious about how much better backwards compatible games will perform. I would assume they should be able to finally get locked vsync 30fps on Gears 2 and 3 on an X. But I wonder if bells and whistles like texture filtering can be added.

What enhancements will Cuphead have for the X1X?

Drewfonse

People love the PS4, rightly. They also, rightly, don't care nearly as much about the PS4 Pro. It's not just casuals, it's also the hardcore crowd on forums such as this. All told, it just isn't a very substantial upgrade over the base console. A $500 Xbox that is significantly more powerful than the PS4, PS4 Pro, and original Xbox One/S is, unlike the Pro, interesting. Specs and features wise, it's that much better both for consumers and developers. I have a Pro and a 4KTV with HDR, and I still wouldn't recommend it because of how minimal the difference is that you're getting. The base PS4 is just a better value and, with all things including price considered in the equation, a better console.

To put it another way: The Xbox One X is a better value at $500 than the PS4 Pro is at $400 or even $350 presuming developers do put in the time to optimize. Judging by what we've seen just the past several days, I'd say they're off to a good start. We won't know for sure until a few months after launch, if not many months, but it's already better than what we've got out of the Pro. If someone wants a PS4, getting a slim on Black Friday with several deals on many of the system's best games would be a much, much better deal than paying extra for so little with the Pro.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I strongly disagree. Games like BF1, TF2, Horizon, and UC4 are all substantially better looking on the Pro/4k than their vanilla counterparts. Which is basically the same appeal that the X has for Xbox fans, but it's an even greater difference with Xbox. Games will look fantastic on the X. But you know what? They also do on the Pro. Once again, I'm excited for the X, but I feel like the impact will be similar to that of the Pro. So if you're underwhelmed by the Pro...

Good stuff, pretty excited to get the 1X. Really looking forward to it, assuming nothing gets delayed further next year should also be quite a nice year one the games front as well for xbox. Should be good times ahead.

Now just need a 4K TV so my 1X and Pro can be in all their glory.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I strongly disagree. Games like BF1, TF2, Horizon, and UC4 are all substantially better looking on the Pro/4k than their vanilla counterparts. Which is basically the same appeal that the X has for Xbox fans, but it's an even greater difference with Xbox. Games will look fantastic on the X. But you know what? They also do on the Pro. Once again, I'm excited for the X, but I feel like the impact will be similar to that of the Pro. So if you're underwhelmed by the Pro...

I mean, if you've found that additional value in the Pro in your experience, absolutely don't let anyone on a forum take that away from you. For me, the value just isn't there. I don't feel like those differences are even remotely what I'd want for the extra asking price. I'd just simply recommend to people to save money and get games like Yakuza, Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted 4, and Persona and play them on a Slim where they are still amazing experiences instead of going for what I consider a really minuscule upgrade by comparison to what you're paying.

Again, though, if you find a lot of value in it, that's still great. There will be games that take some advantage of it, and we'll disagree on just how much of course, but nothing wrong with that.

Fukuzatsu

When it comes to 1X, I'm curious to see if 3rd-party developers opt to only put out a patch for one either Pro or 1X as opposed to supporting both from now on.

Obviously the Pro has been out for longer, but in looking at say, 3rd party 3D games, is there any word on a count of supported titles? There was that thread of supported X1X enhancements but how does that stack up to the Pro?

gamz

When it comes to 1X, I'm curious to see if 3rd-party developers opt to only put out a patch for one either Pro or 1X as opposed to supporting both from now on.

Obviously the Pro has been out for longer, but in looking at say, 3rd party 3D games, is there any word on a count of supported titles? There was that thread of supported X1X enhancements but how does that stack up to the Pro?

I think the X already has more games enhanced. Someone tell me if I'm wrong?

Kevin

As a Pro owner, I've been really disappointed by the lack of Pro enhanced content. Someone dropped the ball. Not sure if it's Sony or developers just not wanting to support Pro features in their games.

Hopefully the Xbox One X will have better support.

low-G

??? Sorry I am bit confused by your reply. I was just responding to the other person that mentioned how taxing Insane settings are on PC and was just providing that even with $2400.00 in GPU's it cannot maintain 60fps. I was in no way indicating or contradicting what the X1X can do at 30. X1X being at 30 would definitely allow then to add a lot more effects, shadow quality etc.

FWIW I thought maybe X1 would eke out 30fps 4k with a mix of setting including maybe insane SSR.

I also imagine it is going utilise the dynamic framebuffer scaling like the original game right?
Have they said yet whether the game will use insane depth of field and insane screen space reflections? It should be pretty obvious to tell if they released some media. They are of course, extremely heavy settings when you see them in action.

Yeah, I think that only makes sense, and that's precisely what I would reason X1 doing insane SSR. I mean the DOF is very nice but not really necessary at all. I mean DF only makes mention of the textures and something else... They went into a ton of detail earlier (X1 vanilla & S) how it was some medium, some high, etc...

As a Pro owner, I've been really disappointed by the lack of Pro enhanced content. Someone dropped the ball. Not sure if it's Sony or developers just not wanting to support Pro features in their games.

Hopefully the Xbox One X will have better support.

Well, already having the required enhanced logo on the box and game page of the store is already much better support than Sony has ever shown with it's pro

Synth

You're wrong. I think it's something like 110+ vs 130+.

But it's a lot closer than it really should be right now (especially considering games that aren't available on Xbox at all).

Fukuzatsu

I mean, if you've found that additional value in the Pro in your experience, absolutely don't let anyone on a forum take that away from you. For me, the value just isn't there. I don't feel like those differences are even remotely what I'd want for the extra asking price. I'd just simply recommend to people to save money and get games like Yakuza, Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted 4, and Persona and play them on a Slim where they are still amazing experiences instead of going for what I consider a really minuscule upgrade by comparison to what you're paying.

Again, though, if you find a lot of value in it, that's still great. There will be games that take some advantage of it, and we'll disagree on just how much of course, but nothing wrong with that.

I will just say though, if PS4 consumers have any intention of playing Yakuza 6 next year, they may want to consider a Pro. The game has rather noticeable screen-tearing and framerate drops on the base system. Coming down from Yakuza Zero and Kiwami at 60fps is pretty harsh as it is, so if nothing else you'll want a more stable 30fps in my opinion.

As expected, the Coalition's Gears of War 4 conversion looks exceptionally impressive. The lack of capture opportunities means that a full breakdown of the enhancements isn't possible at this title, but even to the untrained eye, the upgrade is substantial. At the most basic level, you're getting a native 4K version of one of Xbox One's most technically accomplished, visually arresting titles, backed up the high-end texture assets previously exclusive to the PC version of the game. Texture filtering gets a big upgrade over the standard console too, with none of the improvements having any kind of noticeable hit to performance. Gears of War 4's campaign did a great job of sticking doggedly to its 30fps target on base hardware - in addition to the big visual boost, Xbox One X hands in the same performance level point-for-point, based on the three campaign levels available to play through.

I think people are going to be surprised about what 343 and the Coalition pull off with their next titles on Xbox One X

Well, already having the required enhanced logo on the box and game page of the store is already much better support than Sony has ever shown with it's pro
Actually, Sony do have a "Pro enhanced" logo used on both retail boxes and on the PS Store. The advantage is that Microsoft allows you to search by that tag, while Sony doesn't.

But it's a lot closer than it really should be right now (especially considering games that aren't available on Xbox at all).
Apart from launch window, it's not anywhere near that close. During 2016, Pro had 89 enhanced games. During 2017, One X has 78 announced. (This number will go higher with time, though.)

In total to date, however, the gap is much larger. Pro has at least 200 enhanced games. One X has announced 118 total, but 40 of those are spread out through 2018. Of these, many will also be enhanced on Pro. In addition, some of One X's 2017 titles will similarly be Pro-enhanced, and so will a higher number of exclusives. So by the time One X hits that 118 number, Pro will probably be twice that or more. This is only to be expected with the headstart, and the bigger library.

Actually, Sony do have a "Pro enhanced" logo used on both retail boxes and on the PS Store. The advantage is that Microsoft allows you to search by that tag, while Sony doesn't.

Apart from launch window, it's not anywhere near that close. During 2016, Pro had 89 enhanced games. During 2017, One X has 78 announced. (This number will go higher with time, though.)

In total to date, however, the gap is much larger. Pro has at least 200 enhanced games. One X has announced 118 total, but 40 of those are spread out through 2018. Of these, many will also be enhanced on Pro. In addition, some of One X's 2017 titles will similarly be Pro-enhanced, and so will a higher number of exclusives. So by the time One X hits that 118 number, Pro will probably be twice that or more. This is only to be expected with the headstart, and the bigger library.

What's the point/value of comparing number of enhanced titles anyway?

borges

Banned

More than quantity, I would take a look at quality of enhancements.

KageMaru

Looking good so far. Hope we get the other deep dive articles soon.

I don't think you're in the minority at all. I got the Pro and a 4K HDR TV recently and have been very happy. Horizon, Wipeout, Uncharted, and BF1 have been blowing me away. I wish I jumped in sooner.

Lorul2

Where can I find a ps pro list of enhanced games? I'm not saying your numbers aren't right I just want to see the list. When I search gaf for a list I saw a list of 4K nanative pro games, and if you go by that list the Xbox One X has almost as many 4K native games since many of the same games are going to the X.

Hawk269

In addition, at E3 they said there was about 40 games that are enhanced. That list grew to 100 in 2 months. With 2 months till release I am sure there will be another 40-60 added to that list.

KageMaru

How is the new custom Jaguar?

A nice boost over the XBO but nothing special. It's not going to bump 30fps games to 60fps.

Where can I find a ps pro list of enhanced games? I'm not saying your numbers aren't right I just want to see the list. When I search gaf for a list I saw a list of 4K nanative pro games, and if you go by that list the Xbox One X has almost as many 4K native games since many of the same games are going to the X.

Here you go.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1324251&page=1

Pantz

$500 is a ton of money to some people.

I'm glad that you make enough money and have your finances in place to blow $500 a year on graphics cards, but this is not true for a vast majority of people.

Did the PS4 not show you that price is king? Did the 360 before that not show you the same thing?

I only make $10k per year and this Fall/Black Friday I'll be picking up the Scorpio + PSVR + Switch + a new 3DSXL + a ton of games (many Gold/CE editions) + an exercise bike (to balance things out). It's all about managing your spending.

tuna_love

Banned
I only make $10k per year and this Fall/Black Friday I'll be picking up the Scorpio + PSVR + Switch + a new 3DSXL + a ton of games (many Gold/CE editions) + an exercise bike (to balance things out). It's all about managing your spending.
do you own your house or something

KageMaru

* while also bumping the resolution to 4k

Would be interesting if some devs will go that route. 1080p/30fps on regular one, but 4k dynamic or checkerboard instead of native and 60fps on xbox one x

Probably not.

If a game is CPU bound, lowering the resolution won't help there. Even at 1080p, Gears 4 campaign wouldn't run at 60fps on the 1X.

for some people $500 IS a shit ton of money...especially if they have already purchased a console this generation some people have priorities that trump their gaming habits...and for some the improvement is very marginal as they may very well be much more interested in gameplay than eye candy..

i bought a PS4 and a Pro on launch day...buying an XboneX or building a $2000 PC is well within my means, but to just throw around the idea that just dropping $500 is nothing because you spend a grand on a video card every few years is asinine

fucking #beconsiderate

i am an incredibly considerate person.

this is a forum full of adults, with gaming habits.

$500 is not a lot of money.

[this is 2017, not 1996]

Leyasu

Banned
Wow, not even on the first page...

I wonder how many pages this would be if every game tested was cb rendering instead??

I wonder why the fuck it’s not forced for all software, just turn it to On in Nvidia Control Panel in Global Settings, Microsoft, easy as shit.

Doesn't it take some GPU power to get there though? Software that's X enabled is probably pushing the hardware enough as it is.

sirap

i am an incredibly considerate person.

this is a forum full of adults, with gaming habits.

$500 is not a lot of money.

[this is 2017, not 1996]

$500 is a lot of money for those outside of US. For a lot of folks living in South East Asia (and happen to fit into Xbox's target demographic) that's pretty much one month of pay.

$500 is a lot of money for those outside of US. For a lot of folks living in South East Asia (and happen to fit into Xbox's target demographic) that's pretty much one month of pay.

This is why you find a store that will allow you to finance it.

I can't afford a 1X right now, but putting it on my Best Buy credit card with a finance plan 12 months NO interest (as long as its payed off within the 12 Months) is how i could afford it, so thats what i did. Comes to $41 a Month, less then $10 a week for a year, im sure most can afford that. Now of course i dont have to have it payed off in the 12 Months, just if i dont want to pay interest after that year is up.

c0de

From the DF Face-Off:

"While playing the campaign or engaging with the game's horde mode (both of which operates at 30 frames per second) you can expect to see full 1080p more than 94 per cent of the time."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-gears-of-war-4-face-off

I guess that even if it drops, it's still very rare, if it happens at all due to the headroom XB1X has.

fair.

i'm in Canada, so that $500 is a bit more here [though not as bad lately, we're up to .8 to the dollar lately, cause the USA's economy is slowly melting].

$500 is not that much $ for the target audience of the 1X.

Casuals? Yeah it's a lot even $300 is a lot.

even more fair.

i guess that's how i'm seeing this - for the target audience, $500 is laughable. [ed: yeah, hyperbole, sorry]

note - i'm not rich, at all, i mean i run two businesses, but one of those is brand new, so i'm "cash poor" as FUCK right now [and will be for a few years yet].

but fuck, i'm turning 33 next week, and 80% of my friends make less money than me, but regularly spend $150 - $300 a night on the weekends [all three nights] just eating and partying...

and like, i can't even justify eating out like... once... EVER.

yet i still won't bat an eye at spending $500 on the One X.

why?

because that's an investment that will give me immeasurable hours of pleasure, not just 2-8 hours over the course of a weekend [a weekend which costs any of my typical friends MORE money than the fucking One X].

November can't come soon enough!

agreed!

MilkyJoe

To be fair it's not the only option on offer. It's like arguing against the existence of Ferrari because it's not accessible to road sweepers. If you can afford £449 comfortably it looks more like a bargain for what you can get out of it. If you can't afford it you stick with what you have, wait until it's cheaper, or get it on credit. Just the same way you would with every other product on the market.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man the X seems like a great piece of kit. The pro just feels like a half baked effort to me now but at least it should get better support going forwards.

Thebonehead

Banned
To be fair it's not the only option on offer. It's like arguing against the existence of Ferrari because it's not accessible to road sweepers. If you can afford £449 comfortably it looks more like a bargain for what you can get out of it. If you can't afford it you stick with what you have, wait until it's cheaper, or get it on credit. Just the same way you would with every other product on the market.

Talking of car terms i expressed this before.

PC would be the equivalent of the ferraris of this world.

The OneX would be a v8 Bmw M3 ( 414 BHP )

The PS4 Pro would be the equivalent of a slightly more powerful Bmw 335d ( 281 BHP )

The OG Xbox one would be the equivalent of an Dacia Sandero 1.5 dCi ( circa 90 BHP )

Top Bottom