• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Hands-on with 10 Xbox One X games that show us what it's really capable of

Okay I read through this thread on neogaf "All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)". Are you counting boost mode games as enhanced games?
Not in the count I gave in this thread, no. The number of boosted games on both platforms will approach four figures.

I'm imagining that the difference is made up of game that benefit with PSVR. Based on that list though, that'd be resulting in some double counts (like The Assembly, Rez Infinite, Resident Evil VII, etc).
In the number I gave, duplicates like this were not counted. (There are 15 of them.)

I wouldn't really count any game that's benefitting from a "boost mode" type scenario, because that's not actually explicit support from a developer, and so doesn't reflect any commitment.
I didn't count them.

That said, in regards to PSVR stuff, I find it to be a somewhat different issue if the software can't be run without an additional multiple hundred dollar peripheral anyway.
This makes no sense. VR is a display device. You can't run any games without an additional multiple-hundred dollar screen peripheral. Does that mean no games should count?

And some of the games that are listed as PS4 Pro enhance seemingly have less of a benefit than the inherent boosts the XB1X provides. For example:
WPx6WV3.png

Is effectively less of a improvement than would be applied to the entire XB1 and XB360 libraries. So simply counting titles seems a bit pointless.
One X should definitely be better across the board. But it's almost a guarantee there will be some enhanced titles on it that are no better than this. Because Pro is certainly capable of much more--as seen in other titles--so it's clear that this desultory support isn't due to inherent hardware restrictions. It's a dev choice how to support these stronger consoles, as Sony and Microsoft have repeatedly said. Sometimes they will choose to do very little.

Default expectation should be that One X runs every enhanced game better than Pro. But there will be exceptions where it only runs as well, due to the title not taking full advantage of the hardware. (I very highly doubt there will be any enhanced games that run or look worse on One X. That might only happen for boosted games, and not very commonly there either.)

Klocker

My notebook doesnt support HDR. But I also watched it on my MacBook Pro Retina which has a wider color gamut and it looked amazing.

Yea I'm excited for 4k games but I really am looking forward to seeing HDR difference.
don't have an OLED, dammit, but the TCL 55 is a good starter kit

Was gonna grab an S after I got my 4k HDR TV but want to wait and get full upgrade effect on the X.

Nov 7 feels like waiting Christmas

Colbert

Banned
Yea I'm excited for 4k games but I really am looking forward to seeing HDR difference.
don't have an OLED, dammit, but the TCL 55 is a good starter kit

Was gonna grab an S after I got my 4k HDR TV but want to wait and get full upgrade effect on the X.

Nov 7 feels like waiting Christmas

I bought the One S to see the HDR difference same day as the TV. My OG is in my office as a retail dev kit for testing software on the One.

The One S will move to my bedroom when the One X arrives.

Synth

In the number I gave, duplicates like this were not counted. (There are 15 of them.)

I didn't count them.

This makes no sense. VR is a display device. You can't run any games without an additional multiple-hundred dollar screen peripheral. Does that mean no games should count?

One X should definitely be better across the board. But it's almost a guarantee there will be some enhanced titles on it that are no better than this. Because Pro is certainly capable of much more--as seen in other titles--so it's clear that this desultory support isn't due to inherent hardware restrictions. It's a dev choice how to support these stronger consoles, as Sony and Microsoft have repeatedly said. Sometimes they will choose to do very little.

Default expectation should be that One X runs every enhanced game better than Pro. But there will be exceptions where it only runs as well, due to the title not taking full advantage of the hardware. (I very highly doubt there will be any enhanced games that run or look worse on One X. That might only happen for boosted games, and not very commonly there either.)

I wasn't claiming that you were counting boost mode games, I was basically saying to Space_nut that the entire XB1 library shouldn't be counted simply for applying universal benefits.

I wasn't saying that PSVR titles shouldn't count... I said what I meant, that they're a different situation. The PSVR isn't just a display device... it's effectively a sub-platform (with Sony even referring to it as such) and is closer to something like a SegaCD than a generic television. 100% of PS4 owners will have a standard display to use alongside their console. Less than 5% of PS4 owners have a PSVR, and that percentage is likely to shrink. You can't use a headset you've previously owned (like say a DK2 or something). It's entire library effectively doesn't exist to a PS4 owner, without a separate purchase that costs as much as the Pro itself. That doesn't mean "they don't count", and a standard PS4 owner may well already own a PSVR before buying a Pro (I did), but it's definitely a different case when compared to the standard games that exist on both consoles.

The reason I mentioned games like Torment: Tides of Numenera is simple... a game that has no benefits beyond running better, simply wouldn't be claimed as a patched game on XB1X, unless it were a game that had been recompiled from an older version of the SDK. The PS4 didn't initially have a boost mode and so games like Batman Return to Arkham exist, where it is effectively identical to boost mode. Such games logically wouldn't exist on XB1X, because there is no scope for the game to be limited to standard XB1 specs in any situation.

Top Bottom